Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Something I've realised recently is that people need to realise that there's a difference between examining why history happens, and wanting history to flow one way or another. This is essentially the difference between historical materialism and idealism.

Sure, Iran could turn into a liberal democracy tomorrow, and I could hope that's true. But it's not going to - the current government is under no incentive to do so and is secure in its power as a theocracy. But we can examine the reasons why the Iranian government reacts the way it does - sanctions, past coups, etc. This isn't to rob them of agency but to explain why governments - even the US - rarely act with agency but are driven by past forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

I was wrong to say Monbiot was "a good lad" or anything of the sort. I apologise to the thread. He's a stupid propagandist oval office.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1503758826461409287?s=20&t=nevz0b8kOlN2VaDfqWo59w

Anybody writing "There's a war going on, here's why that makes the Left bad and wrong" is a straight up propagandist or worm-brained idiot. No exceptions.

Monbiot and others like Paul Mason seem to be taking this as an opportunity to attack their old posting rivals. Nuclear war could happen and Oz Katerji would get one last jab in at Owen Jones.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1514222411792723968?t=kpydN7k81iXuiX2woXgtag&s=19

Anyone buying Private Eye should probably stop at this point.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Does Vaush call himself an anarchist, I thought he was just a standard US Democrat.

This is most anarchists on Twitter in my experience.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Dabir posted:

He is the one you were thinking of, but that's not what happened.

What happened in that conversation was that he asked the tankie he was talking to to explain, in his own words, why what the Nazis did was bad. The tankie said "because they had a false consciousness", which was just his fancy way of saying "they were incorrect on the facts" because tankies don't know what words mean. Vaush then said "But Jews were overrepresented in the financial industry." at which point the tankie cut the line. Vaush's position, which he was about to argue if he hadn't been cut off and stated anyway immediately afterwards, is that arguing the facts in that case is ineffective and dangerous, because it logically implies that if the facts had gone the other way, you'd be ok with the Nazi genocide. It doesn't matter whether they did or didn't have disproportionate influence over the banks, because a person with a strong moral position can confidently say that even if they did, what happened would have been wrong.

False Consciousness doesn't just mean "incorrect on the facts", you even show this by bringing up how the Nazis used correct statements to justify their awful bigotry and solutions

The whole point is that the ruling class will willfully misrepresent the truth or come up with false solutions to actual problems. Immigration causing pressure on housing and amenities because you've not been spending money on it? Just blame immigrants themselves and vote for Brexit.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Dabir posted:

I know that it doesn't just mean that, but that's how the tankie was using the term throughout the lengthy conversation beforehand and in other videos afterwards. Again, he was using fancy words to make himself sound smart because he doesn't know what words mean.

Vaush is an idiot with history of edgy sexism and transphobia. He doesn't know how Marxism works because it would threaten the anarcho-Bidenist grift he's built up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1531601441734942720

He's running.