Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Minimum pricing laws iirc?

Not outside of Scotland afaik?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

If NATO did try to enforce a no fly zone over Ukraine and Russia shot down one of their planes in retaliation but didn't formally declare war or move the ground operation beyond Ukraine, would that count as a sufficient act of aggression for the necessitate full Western intervention?

Ukraine is not a NATO member so the aggression would be the presumably (trying to) shoot down a Russian plane outside of NATO territory first. That's what a no fly zone is.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Despite what The Young Ones told us, vodka doesn't actually make a viable molotov - 40%abv alcohol burns cool (the water evaporating with the alcohol takes the heat away pretty effectively) and quickly, so the heat just doesn't transfer to the thing you're lobbing it at. Don't take this as license to just coat yourself with it and set light to yourself though, although I suppose Richard Pryor got a couple of good minutes of standup out of it.

Also if you're at the point you're making molotovs, price isn't your issue, surely?

What about Wray and Nephew rum as readily if expensively available in East London? :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I know Ukraine isn't NATO, my question was if the Russians shot down a NATO plane in Ukrainian airspace after they established a no fly zone, would that would be considered an act of aggression warranting every member to declare war on Russia, or does that require an actual threat to a member state's own territory?

As i say, the impetus here would be NATO acting first because a no fly zone means nothing without enforcing it, in which case the Russians are defending themselves. You can't rules lawyer this into a NATO defensive act and NATO is a defensive alliance.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Here's how that would probably play out:

- russia would deny it
- NATO would say "no you definitely shot our plane down and we're not happy. here's all the evidence"
- russia would, eventually, say it happened but it was an accident, the pilot disobeyed orders or a weapons malfunction happened or sommat. typical soviet blame game stuff
- NATO would be all "well! we're going to write a sternly worded letter about it" (maybe sanctions would follow but I don't think NATO provides process for that)
- it would probably be forgotten because neither side wants to risk escalating it into, y'know

All of which is why no-one outside of FBPE twitter wants to try it in the first place. Russia is not Iraq.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

British coleslaw:

What does American coleslaw look like?

I mean, much like here, you get both the more loose-cut stuff and the finely diced stuff (the latter especially in a supermarket or w/e). Having lived in both places there isn't really a difference. Maybe you're more likely to see mustard in the US version.

US biscuits and gravy are nice, I make them at home sometimes (from scratch, not like I can pop down to Kroger and pick up a roll of Grands).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'd mentioned I might arrange a London meet this Saturday - going to delay that a couple of weeks because of a clash with something my wife wants me to attend with her. Just so nobody's turning up on their tod expecting me there!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

or even Tubby Issacs' Jellied Eels

A quick Google suggests that if we have this to worry about then the French have mastered (heh) TARDIS technology.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

He went down like a champ pulling receipts on some guy's dickhead posts.

Some other guy got probed for calling the obvious Nazi posting obvious Russian propaganda 'a disgusting human being'. That, too, is apparently posting about posters.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it comes to it there's still pockets of people speaking effectively RP all over the Commonwealth and even in isolated pockets in the US too, for the same reason.

The poshest-accented person I've ever known (well, dated, anyway) was from Zimbabwe and her dad was something high up in their government, so she went to Zimbabwean Eton. Kind of charmingly old-fashioned English, too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

A work mate is 100% German, moved to Ireland at the age of 8, and has a 100% US accent to this day.
She learned all her english from US TV showed back in Germany.

I'm willing to bet an American will think she sounds 100% Irish. Funny how this works. When I first moved to the US I met an old lady who'd married a GI after WW2 and moved there from the UK. Sounded absolutely 100% American to me, no hint of an accent at all, which after ~60 years is hardly surprising. To them she still sounded British.

Meanwhile when I moved back here after a decade in America everyone my first day at work thought I was from there. It dropped away after a few months, but it's definitely a thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If I had to imagine there being an SA accent it woulf be Frink from the Simpsons.

Come on now Comic Book Guy

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

This is ignoring that there are huge parts of the UK that cannot host wind turbines, for a variety of reasons (too close to houses, too close to airfields, etc). Solar is an alternative in those areas, even if it isn’t as efficient as in other areas of the world, because the alternative in those places is nothing.

I mean to add to what Twisto said - we have this thing called the National Grid, you know. You might have heard of it. We don't all need our own personal power generation apparatus, we have big wires for that :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Eh I mean 5+% of power generated is lost to transmission over the grid. That's 3m peoples' power consumption. Local generation helps to lower that, I believe.

Yes but OP specifically wanted to generate it locally where it was much less efficient than that to do so....

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the thing on social media about booking AirBnBs in Ukraine? Some of my relatives refuse to donate money to charities

....ANY charity? Why?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

All admin staff who work for charities are paid £150k a year *and* siphoning off donations.

I mean, nice, but then they're surprised some rando off the street won't take a day off to drive his white van from Walsall to Kyiv with a bunch of blankets and compo rations in the back?

There are people who know how to do that and do it all the time, they are called charities :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

This is literally across the road from the new offices for my company (which have been closed today for obvious reasons, not that I was in because we're mostly work from home still, but I was there last week).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

But all coffee is manky, espresso is best coffee because you can drink it in one & get that hit of caffeine. Probably only works because I'm not a coffee drinker regularly

I like using a moka pot to make fake espresso because then it can just sit there on the stove all day and i can top some of it up with boiling water whenever i feel like it. convenient!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Convex posted:

foreign person: and this is how you pronounce our capital city
british person: ha! no

British person: 'it is now pronounced Kingstown/Georgetown/Elizabethtown/insert-monarch-here. also here's your new flag!'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Eh, I admit I found "nobody in this generation has faced off against the firepower of a conventional army, says former active member of a conventional army" rather amusing. Maybe he assumed everyone he was shooting at in Iraq was in their 60s.

Brown people don't count, you see.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Hitler absolutely did use 'these people are really Germans and we are reasserting our natural borders' though. The Sudetenland at least, probably a lot more, I am not an expert.

Sudetenland is a v good example, yes, with pretty good parallels to the Russian minority in Ukraine. On top of that the literal justification for Germany invading Poland and kicking off World War 2 was the 'liberation' of the historically-German Free City of Danzig within Poland's borders. After false-flag 'Polish' attacks much like the 'Ukrainian' attack on Russian troops like the day before Putin invaded, too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

he never made out that anyone in the countries he invaded was really a German.

This, in particular, is insanely incorrect.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I think stringer is one of them like kate hoey or whatever, frothing dickheads that I would say don't belong in labour but apparently that constitutes most of the leading lights of the party.

At least Hoey has self-yeeted herself, and Hodge is standing down at the next election. Trouble is I'm sure there are plenty of rising lights of the bastard wing of the party to get parachuted in to replace them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cookie Cutter posted:

8 years of the west taking a blind eye to civilian killings by the Ukrainian side in the seperatist regions, etc. Like how do you think the US would act if there was a militia on the Mexican border shelling American civilians for 8 years?

So....not American civilians, in your analogy, but rather Mexicans in Mexico? Because that already happens, there are drug wars around that area all the time, and the US hasn't sent the tanks in.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cookie Cutter posted:

No, I mean American civilians? You can't just add a "not" to my statement to make it mean something different.

According to international law the people in e.g. Donetsk are Ukrainian citizens, not Russian. It's not me that's saying that, it's, well, everywhere on earth that isn't one Russia or another, and of course you apparently. You seem to be trying to say it's the Kremlin's argument not yours that this is true, but, well, here is you personally saying the quiet part out loud.

Are they Russian citizens or Ukrainean? Which is it?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

In the midlands customer facing rolls are called client side cobs.

I think u mean baps

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's inflation as dictated by the bank of England

The Bank of England sets base interest rates, in an attempt to keep inflation within a certain band laid out as a target by the government. This is not the 1970s (and/or the Soviet Union), they aren't trying to explicitly set wages and prices.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Borrovan posted:

I'm not an econologist but my understanding is that, whilst fiscal policy is an effective way of managing demand-pull inflation like we had in the '70s by influencing consumer behaviour, it's pretty toothless for addressing cost-push inflation, like what we have now

It's all well & good saying that raising interest will discourage people from spending, but it's not like that's gonna make a blind bit of difference when nobody's got any loving money left after buying basic essentials

We've also had absolutely rock bottom interest rates for years and years now, especially since the 2008 crisis, to encourage people to go out and spend all their money and keep the economy tottering on its feet. Which has been going on long enough now that I suspect anyone under the age of about 50 isn't going to even think about putting money in their savings accounts even if the interest rates go up a little.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hooray, I've got covid. Felt a bit rough and sweaty on Sunday but tested negative, actually feel a bit better today apart from a tickly cough. Praying I wasn't contagious on Saturday because I visited some family, although they're all jabbed up and most of them have had it anyway.

Just feeling so *unfashionable* to have caught it after almost everyone else, it's like I've suddenly really got into dubstep or something.

Na, world+dog is catching it right now, I know several people who have. Turns out opening 'er up when Omicron is still a thing means lots of (hopefully mostly mild) cases!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

All that said there's definitely the occasional story in media about politicians taking bribes. I don't think it's everyone or commonplace but there's certainly people willing to take bribes in politics.

So unlike our own dear polity ;p That's a description of, like, everywhere.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Some serious Battle of Omdurman erasure itt.

Also a lieutenant-colonel for a bit in the middle of WW1 (and at the front, not a cushy staff job). Whatever else you can say about the man, he was willing to get shot at.

Which come to think about it is probably what poundshop Churchill here is trying to emulate, only I suspect without the actually getting shot at.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Charles II should get a lot more poo poo for "everything's back to normal so Catholics can own land again" *transfers land to family members and loyal generals who happen to be Catholic, leaves everyone else starving in Connacht*

Especially as by doing so he literally invented the Tories. :argh:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Yet another 'the Met is a mafia with slightly more expensive uniforms' news story:

https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1506239276094165002?s=21

More expensive? Actual mafiosos wear like fancy Italian suits. These are bargain basement mafia.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Spangly A posted:

He sent in a black and tan unit of irregulars first, who arrived in Wales and reported that they weren't going to do poo poo. Then he called up Franco and Mussolini to help set up an explicitly fascist subdivision of the paramilitary Organisation for Maintenance of Supplies, led by avowed fascist and former Tory rotha linton-orman, since both she and Churchill considered Mosely "basically a communist". After beating AJ Cook into a hospital bed they were able to get the union leadership to stand down, starting with nottingha, and quietly accept that this would never happen again.

Those events were the compromise position. Churchill wanted tanks, guns, and to have declared fascists and falangists take official roles in the police and OMS, which somehow most Tories did not see ending too well.

Ummmm can we have a cite on this? Franco isn't even chief Spanish nationalist leader until like 1937. This is Churchill's wilderness years when he isn't in charge of poo poo. Which strike are you talking about here?

If you want Churchill and tanks, people usually reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_George_Square though that wasn't just his idea (he was War Secretary at the time).

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 22, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I think it's a lot of genuine faithful who lived and died by said faiths, being manipulated and manuevered by a bunch of cynical overlords.

Ehhhh....people tend to think this a lot, here's a good article by a historian bloke that covers it. He's talking about the Middle Ages, I know more about the mid 17th century.

It's not really true, or not entirely true. Thing is it is quite possible to sincerely believe in your religion and also be a cynical bastard and also for your genuine belief in your religion to overlap with and be tempered/overridden by political concerns - and religion is a political concern here. If you say you're a Catholic in the British Isles (especially England) in the mid 17th century you are implicitly saying you are under the political influence of the Pope who is a hostile political power (you know, the guy who backed the Armada last century and in whose name Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Parliament - it's getting pretty close to being a Muslim and saying 'I think the UK should be a Caliphate' in the modern UK). Conversely being openly Protestant in a Catholic country hints at 'and also I would like to overthrow the social order' because, well, a lot of that happened last century. Your religion is a political statement but also usually one held in earnest belief. It's just that, well, much like today, sometimes power is more important than principles, 'Paris is worth a Mass' and all, and pre-Civil War England allying with Catholic powers against the Dutch when expedient and so on and so forth. Doesn't mean those principles don't exist at all, though.

So yeah, probably some people high up (and middling) didn't really believe. Most would to one extent or another though. Someone like Edward VI, I don't think anyone would claim wasn't an actual, fervent Protestant - which has Consequences, without him we probably end up going back Catholic, which in turn has geopolitical implications.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

peanut- posted:

funniest part of raising the NI rate while lowering the income tax rate is it means that basically the only people that will ultimately get any benefit are pensioners

What a coincidence, wonder who they vote for.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was actually going to make a :smuggo: "I've never even *been* under a thatched roof" point about how thatched roofs have been banned in civilisation since 1666, then remembered that I have actually been under the only thatched roof in London (Shakespeare's Globe - and yes, they had to go through a *lot* of poo poo to get it built). The tour didn't mention anything about squirrels though, and the single thing I do know about squirrels is the ones in Green Park once mugged the CFO of a company I was working for.

I spent a year of my childhood living under a thatched roof and within wattle and daub walls (a converted Tudor barn in a village in Herefordshire). Mum used to get very annoyed when I'd feed the mice who lived in the walls.

Don't miss using the outhouse either.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Can't believe that the English Royal Meghan Markle invented the Royal African Company
https://twitter.com/nagwoninenglish/status/1506837226298265601

...or that she runs the Jamaican government.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

There are already thousands of people who think that Newham is too far adrift from London

Oy :colbert:

(but yes our transport links aren't great. Crossrail might change that maybe? :shobon:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jeherrin posted:

I refused to tell either the recruiter or my new employer what I was making.

I tried this with my current employer. Then they told me what the usual range was for the role I was applying for and I was like 'ahaha no, I make $X in Cambridge and you're expecting me to move to London' and got an extra 5k on top of that. :shrug: