Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Embarrassing scenes on the morning news today. Some idiot British reporter asking “but why are you doing this?” to people at the border offering refugees a lift in their car, and then wandering over to a group of women heading back into Ukraine to fetch their kids / family and saying (I wish I was kidding) “are you all off on a girl’s night out then?”

I know they don’t exactly fill the morning slot with their best and brightest but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gorn Myson posted:

Its "we need to look tough on Putin and tough on immigration" but they don't want to look callous on the second half of that. So instead of explicitly coming down against welcoming Ukrainian refugees, they fall back on the phrase "we need a simplified process" when dealing with applications, which as far as I can tell means "we need a better website".

Its also well within the liberal framework. They'll quite happily demand an escalation of violence against Russia but they sure as gently caress don't want a Ukrainian moving in next door.
The pathological liberal obsession with rules, systems, and processes is absolutely frightening and something you can’t unsee after you’re aware of it. We’re happy to let in Ukrainian refugees as long as they’ve filled out the form so we know they’re proper and they can take a place in the queue; we can’t just let them all in without a system in place or it’d be chaos (with Ed Miliband)!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

this has been some of the most intensely bizarre food chat I've ever seen in this thread

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Does it not at least perhaps strike you as odd that the advice is basically "stop trusting yourself, your ideas have to be wrong, put your faith in what someone else tells you is the right thing to believe until you start to internalize it"?
Yeah this central contradiction of “your feelings are valid but also wrong” absolutely winds me up. I don’t want to address / fix my feelings, I want to address the problems in my life that cause those feelings, but therapy has no interest in that (probably because a lot of people have problems that are unfixable or that would require the overthrow of capitalism).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dabir posted:

To be fair the weather here has been pretty foul. Not raining that hard, just generally a miserable vibe
UK baseline weather then

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dunno why everybody else bothers with accents TBH when they could just speak totally normal like me

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Can also PM me for an Octopus referral code

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I assume this is just awful lighting rather than somebody letting him at the colloidal silver?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Can't they just rename one of those seized oligarch yachts? They're already designed exactly for the tastes of a kleptocrat mob boss using high church kitsch to distract from being a second rate power.
you'd have her royal majesty deign to board a used yacht? how absolutely barbaric! *sniffs*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

keep punching joe posted:

I bet if Sky News or whoever gave him cash to shill for Nato he'd be there in a second though. And would salute George W for his courage and indefatigability.
I’m nigel farage, up the ra!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah it seems like every fucker in the pub is doing cocaine now. It's the one drug I will absolutely refuse to try on principle because holy poo poo the cartels are some of the sickest people on the planet. Would quite like to try MDMA though, even though the thought makes me anxious because my only experience of it was watching some girl outright die off one dodgy pill in one of those don't do drugs PSA films we were forced to watch in school.

All pretty irrelevant though, none of my friends do any illegal drugs and I wouldn't know where to even start finding a dealer as a 32 year old bloke.
Cocaine is hugely overrated. MDMA is awesome but you’d want to do it with a group of friends, it’s not going to be at all the same just sat on your own.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’d say MDMA comedowns started to really get to me after ~8 years of taking it a few times a year, I wouldn’t worry about it if you’ve never taken it before

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

important poll time:

which bin liner is the best? (my answer spoilered below)

it's tie handles. It's OBVIOUSLY tie handles, nobody ever wants any of the other loving types, they exist purely to deceive exhausted shoppers who've already been in Tesco for 2 hours and just want to go home. If I see the drawstring picture I'm thinking "oh good it's the normal ones that tie at the top" and then NO it's the fuckers that fall to pieces if there's more than a single bit of old cheese in there; if I read "tie top" I think "oh good it's the normal ones that tie at the top and then no it's the ones with useless flappy bits that get covered in manky bin juice. gently caress off gently caress OFF with your shitey non-tie handle bin bags

(flush top doesn't even warrant a mention, I mean come on)

this has been my bin bag meltdown thank you for coming

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Private Speech posted:

I like tie tops if the bag is strong enough, they tie up the bag tighter.
Nonsense; you tie the bottom of thehandles together, smoosh out all the excess air, twist the excess bag at the top into a strand and tie it in a loop below the handle knot and the top of the bag. Perfectly airtight and you still have the handles to carry it out to the bins

Z the IVth posted:

If you don't fill a drawstring all the way up to the brim you can pull it closed then use the string to tie the "neck" under the closure and it works really well.
Yeah it sounds good in theory but I have never found a binliner whose drawstring won't tear itself out of the bag under the very slightest force.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jiggerypokery posted:

I'm sorry but putting together a case for how vote leave was paid for by dark money that's strong enough to hold up in court is The Good Fight and I'll die on this hill.
Why? What happens after they are found to have acted illegally? The right breaks this sort of law as a matter of course now, it would barely even be newsworthy.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Borrovan posted:

In my opinion the fact that lots of people & groups interfere with our lovely democracy is not a valid reason not to pay attention when Russia does it
I agree, but it's also putting the cart before the horse. We can have all the proof in the world that our democracy is being undermined by foreign money, but it does no good so long as we don't have a culture of actually holding people to account and making changes.

There's not much point pointing out all the law-breaking going on when there's no punishment for breaking the law or any effort to enforce the law in the first place.

E: To be clear, we need to be doing both pointing out the law-breaking and fixing the system that enforces the laws, but I think we need to prioritise fixing the system over any specific instance.

TACD fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 14, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If that's where you're at then why not just arrest the guys with the cameras? :confused:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Skeletome posted:

just loving get rid of the algorithms, it's not hard is it?
there ought to be a well-defined process for it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

therattle posted:

LOL. Jesus, she reveals her stupidity every time she opens her mouth.
it’s probably down to childhood exposure to dihydogren monoxide. it’s actually depressingly common, i’m surprised she hasn’t come out in favour of banning it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Maximising the quantity and duration of human life spent in service to Capital, no matter the consequences.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ash Crimson posted:

Are you alright
have you tried not being a bellend

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

just give it a go like, bit of variety in your gimmick

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hooray, I've got covid. Felt a bit rough and sweaty on Sunday but tested negative, actually feel a bit better today apart from a tickly cough. Praying I wasn't contagious on Saturday because I visited some family, although they're all jabbed up and most of them have had it anyway.

Just feeling so *unfashionable* to have caught it after almost everyone else, it's like I've suddenly really got into dubstep or something.
Yea I suddenly got pinged for the first time this morning, I didn’t know anybody else still had the app installed.

I like the absurdity of the app saying it’s “helping to protect you and others” and then when you do get pinged it’s just “anyway thought you might want to know, carry on about your business“

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s all very well hoping Boris gets himself blown up in a warzone, but if that happens we run the very real risk of getting a giant statue to Boris Johnson, Martyr for European Democracy and Hero of Ukraine and I think we need to ask if that’s a risk we’re willing to take.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

e: my extremely funny joke got made by somebody else first so now you can't have it :colbert:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

That's actually nuts. It's not like you can just go without. I've weirdly never had any issues getting my repeat prescriptions within a few days of putting them in. Maybe I've just been lucky, maybe standards are just very patchy across the country. Still, I always have made sure I order a smidge more than I need so I can built up a stockpile, and no one will ever convince me it's not an extremely prudent thing to do.
Last time my partner picked up her levothyroxine the pharmacist told her she’s not getting any more until she gets blood work done again and it’s like: do you realise it has not been possible to get a GP appointment for 2+ years? The surgery is never physically open, and if you call them the frankly abusive woman answering the phone is almost gleeful to inform you they’ve got no appointments, but you’re welcome to join the phone queue tomorrow at 8:30 (and lol if you can’t because of work).

The last surgery she was at forcibly de-registered her when they found out we’d moved; everywhere is quite transparently trying to avoid seeing patients as much as possible, and while it might charitably be blamed on lack of funding and COVID the reality on the ground is still that there is effectively no non-emergency healthcare anymore.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

lol I had an interview where I was asked to do a basic python list operation and despite me knowing python pretty well, thanks to the pandemic I'd not used python in 14 months and I completely blanked on the full syntax

despite that he said that it was clear I was just rusty and that I was the only candidate who showed a hint of actually touching python, including someone who claimed to be a "professional Python developer" who failed the same question harder

it helped I knew the difference between a set, dict and list
if you happen to need another Python toucher I’ve just been told there’s no money to pay me at my current place past April

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

Update your LinkedIn. I get constant messages for python jobs despite it not even being listed as language I code.
That’s kind of reassuring, I had no idea if there was any professional need for Python devs outside of the niche science robotics thing I’ve been in so far

Guess I’ll go set up a LinkedIn (gross)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Sheffield is nice! I keep saying but nobody listens!
:hmmyes:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

*robot turns to camera*

“Eh, it’s a living!”

*laugh track*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

But can you sum it up in a sound?
Yes, but I’ll need the illumination of a NJAN99 post to help me make it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

this is the dumbest tv thing people have gotten worked up about since janet jackson's nipple

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobby Deluxe posted:

we get a bunch of articles about 'nice' familes saying the winter bills drained their account and now they can't afford xmas.
These will be published alongside other articles gently reprimanding millennials for not getting out and spending more now that COVID is over

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Ed: for the inquiring minds that want to know, Waitrose bog rolls are best value for money in terms of cost per metre.)
I would bet money that the Costco ones beat them handily. They're seriously beefy lads.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I moved into a flat once and after submitting a meter reading got a bill for some comically absurd amount, I think several tens of thousands of pounds. Luckily I seem to recall they did quickly agree that there was something amiss and it turned out they had the wrong serial number for my meter somehow.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

feedmegin posted:

Gotta factor in your yearly sub for that, though.
Well yea but you’re probably also buying booze and kitchen roll and petrol and whatever as well. I agree the value proposition is less attractive if you’re only buying toilet roll lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ah gently caress does that mean he’s coming back here?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Comrade Fakename posted:

Actually the entire Daily Mail article is hilarious, though of course, there is transphobia in it:
This is honestly one of the most wonderful and uplifting Mail articles I've ever read :unsmith:
This is exactly how it should work! Hateful man keeps saying and doing hateful things, and gradually gets frozen out by more and more of his colleagues, friends, and family. None of us can fix you but we don't have to put up with you.

WhatEvil posted:

I've always thought of CostCo as being like "bargain" stores.
I'm not saying you can't save money by shopping there, but you have to have your wits about you.
Aye you're not wrong TBH, there's plenty of name brand stuff that doesn't really work out much cheaper.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s always been amazing to me that people can listen to music and understand the lyrics as they’re being sung. I have to stop and concentrate very hard to understand the lyrics in almost any music and even then I get it wrong a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's because 2003 was awful and depressing, and everyone was feeling awful and depressed.
what could people in 2003 possibly have to complain about? they were nearly 20 years younger and they didn't have twitter bullshit to worry about. bliss imo