Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The secret to yellow sticker food in Tesco is to get it in the evening, 19:30 was the sweet spot for my local.

If you buy fish, eat it that night.

I don't have a freezer at all. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

mediaphage posted:

i got the biscuits but honestly it looks like someone just poured a bunch of maple syrup on it

Also thought maple syrup, too much diabetes on a plate. :canada:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Speaking of NI my partner pointed out the other day that all these newscasters saying the quiet part out loud about unprecedented conflict in Europe must have been received with some bemusement in Belfast and Derry, not to mention the former Yugoslavia.

The Insignificant Facts are easily ignored when a narrative is in play.

''No fly zone'', yeah... that's not for happening.

Proxy war is where we are at, as previously in Korea & Vietnam.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

This film is dedicated to the brave fighters of the Azov Battalion.

gently caress Azov with a broken bottle, better they die on the line than a Ukranian is the best i will wish for them.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean I do feel like pretty much all discussion on Ukraine is 'pick a side and reject anything anyone says against that side out of hand as lies'. I think the pro-Putin side is much more guilty of this, but nonetheless we can't ignore the implications of the Azov Battalion etc being full on neo-nazis, which is doubly important given they're an official part of the Ukrainian gendarmerie, not just some independent fash group. I am extremely uncomfortable with them being portrayed in the Western media as totally cool noble freedom fighters!

Better to have them in the tent pissing out than outside pissing in, don't like them but they are there and until they commit an atrocity they can take a bullet instead of a Ukranian. :colbert: :ukraine:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Aren't the azov guys.. also Ukrainian?

It's mixed, 2,500 members from latest info, but if you're a neo nazi from another country that's where you want to go. :suicide:

Most Ukranian men spend a year in the army/defence force so when the call up for all able bodied men to join in the defence occurred we're not talking about noobs being handed a gun and told to charge the enemy.

Their choices in life are much harder than ours and i do not envy them for a second. :ohdear:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I was going back to my car from a call and it was wandering around the village, so I followed it for a bit because I wasn't sure if someone was walking it, but nobody turned up, seemed a bit skittish, but eventually it led me to a pub and sort of looked at me like "please open the door for me" so I did and apparently the landlady had gone out for a smoke and forgot the dog had gone with her, so she was glad to get him back. Hopefully the lad was just nervous cos he was stuck outside. Mostly I just didn't want him to get hit by a car cos it was near a busy road.

Seems a bit negligent but I dunno, hopefully they will be more careful next time.

You have my appreciation, lovely job. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

When i was a child in N.I. you could pin down an accent to within a three mile radius, that's mostly gone now with the younger generations (under 30) with much better communication & media.

A language that isn't fluid and adaptive becomes marginalised and eventually dead.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I had a relative who moved to belfast and for my entire life has been utterly incomprehensible so people can just pick up accents.

A Belfast accent can be incomprehensible to people in other parts on N.I. so you are not alone.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Friends, I'm like 8 pages behind but I thought that you should all see this pin badge urgently:

Who is this for? Is there literally anybody that it wouldn't annoy? :psyduck:

Looks like Ireland finally got it's stolen crown jewels back. :chaostrump:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Here in NI i can look out my windows and see a small solar farm and eight windmills and two miles away is the largest solar farm in NI producing 851 kWh/kWp.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sloth Life posted:

Sounds more like creeve to me? Or some "khl" sound I am unable to mimic.

Sounded like kre-yeev to my ears. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Here's I think a decent balanced analysis of the Ukraine situation which situates the whole thing as as imperialist conflict while avoiding the trap of portraying the Russians as the 'good guys'. The tldr is 'everyone's the rear end in a top hat and there will be no winners' which is bleak, but probably accurate.

https://twitter.com/MountainChen4/status/1501601688544763906?s=19

He sounds like a right gobshite tbh.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

Is the watery bit in the middle of Northern Ireland a lake or something boring like that, or is it an actual hole on the island and a magical underground spring keeps it topped up with water from the Irish Sea?

Well... when we say ''we're taking the piss'', that's where we're taking it from.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fight, flee or die... decide.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Has it got a monster? Didn't think so.

It's got midges. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The beer engine was invented by the same man who invented the the machine that prints sequential numbers on bank notes and the modern toilet flush mechanism. He defined the entire workflow for a long sesh, and should be on the £50 note instead of Turing IMO.

(It is actually a little weird how Joseph Bramah isn't up in the pantheon of Victorian Engineers, because a lot of his stuff is still in use to this day and he basically invented quality control as we understand it, but I guess we always prefer a magnificent failure to clever but dull, e.g. the current PM)

Oh that's interesting, him & Tommy Flowers (world's first programmable electronic computer; Colossus) join the ranks of the practically unknown sustainers of technology.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ballsacks. Just went to get something out of the freezer and discovered I didn't shut the door properly last time I got something out On Sunday. Everything is now room temperature an I'm going to have to chuck everything and restock it.

This is how you learn to shut the door.

Luckily i don't have a freezer or freezer section in my fridge.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not sure how it's gonna happen, but I have an annoying premonition that the UK and Ireland/EU are going to diverge on timezones, and it's gonna be a huge sectarian :btroll: issue in NI and extremely annoying for everyone on the border

Split the difference and make it a one time move of 30 minutes, job done. :shrug:

The sectarianism shall continue no matter what as for some it's all they have left.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

Yeah I have one. It blasts air a lot more violently than a standard air canister but isn't as effective at actually taking off dust. I think the blast isn't as concentrated.

Mine came with attachments to narrow the stream, giving it more force but i can't get it as close to components as the canned air.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was worried when I saw a flagpole nearby but this morning they were flying the Star Wars rebel alliance fleg, so now I have no idea.

“May the 4th Be With You”, it's Star Wars Day, were they late? :wookie:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

We've got some spare DUP gobshites over here, you can have them as well. :greatgift:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Is there anywhere to read up in Northern Ireland politics as I'm seeing that someone in the DUP is acting as if the democratic will of the people is not "really" for the people they voted for.

Delusional, bible thumping, young earth creationist, anti catholic people with a well developed siege mentality.

Not much room is left for critical thinking (that's probably anathema to them).

As a former catholic (yay atheism!!! :) ) here in Northern Ireland i will admit my bias on the matter.

Not exactly looking forward to getting ruled directly by the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland: Brandon Lewis but that is what happens when we can't achieve a local government here. :ughh:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I've been Catholic all my life and I want my goddamn orders from the Pope and my riches please, this is bullshit

You'll get to eat fish on Fridays and be content with your lot. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

On the current trajectory the Unionists in NI are in inexorable decline: the Unionist population is on average older than the Nationalists and has fewer children: they're shrinking year by year as a proportion of the total population. They also have no political leverage at Westminister and no coherent alternative to the Nationalist plan for a United Ireland. To regain momentum, they'd need some kind of fundamental change, and their whole thing is resistance to change, so....

NI census results start to get published next month, should be interesting.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

They always said "A protestant parliament for a protestant people!".... yeah, about that. :kiddo:

What a time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Aipsh posted:

*laughs in Easter Rising*

A slow burn, but a deep one. :)