Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Whether you can survive off yellow sticker stuff varies wildly depending on which shop you use. At my local Co-Op you'd live off celery and experimental hot cross bun flavours, except on the days when everything is corn on the cob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

StarkingBarfish posted:

I'm not even sure if living off yellow stickered food is a genuine economy anyway.

Branded yellow sticker foods are still more expensive than store-brand. Some of the reductions are only a few pence so would barely make a difference to the overall price of a basket of food. You would be better off buying the food at full price and not risk it all going off immediately.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
As a malcontent, it's always been a great comfort that I can kill myself at any time, but if Britain was invaded it would genuinely be an emotional roller coaster. I thrive in a crisis and love a bit of chaos. Or maybe running at an enemy tank wearing a saucepan on my head and waving a pointy stick is just an elaborate suicide plan with crap cosplay.

If conscription is re-introduced, we can form the Something Awful Kamikaze Company.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'd love solar panels but I'm put off by both the upfront cost and my neighbour's complete inability to control their leylandii. Apparently one of the previous residents on the street used to wait until they'd gone on holiday and take a chainsaw to the trees.

The Surrey solar farms seems weird but as far as domestic use goes, it's the only renewable source available. I would love to see as many houses as possible get solar panels, because we're only getting more dependent on electricity. Especialy as summers get hotter, in a couple of years we're going to start seeing more demand for domestic air conditioning.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have an opinion on the thing on social media about booking AirBnBs in Ukraine? Some of my relatives refuse to donate money to charities and are increasingly frustrated that nobody is willing to drive blankets and bags of rice 1500 miles. They might be on board with donating via booking a 'holiday' in a house that probably doesn't exist any more.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

feedmegin posted:

....ANY charity? Why?

All admin staff who work for charities are paid £150k a year *and* siphoning off donations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all the replies about charities, but it turns out that Family are not interested in sending money via AirBnB, Etsy, or any other means. In the meantime their bags of rice are enjoying an extended stay in a carrier bag. I predict they will get 'tidied' into the regular storecupboard supplies in a fortnight.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

YOu should deliver unto them a powerful roundhouse kick

Even just thinking about doing that would make all the ligaments in my legs rupture. Could I do a really heavy sigh and maybe an eye roll (after a suitable warm up)?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
J K Rowling is 56 years old, what gametes is she producing again?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It took me months to get my overpayment refunded when I last switched supplier because they insisted it could only be done by cheque, and they had spelled my name incorrectly so the bank wouldn't process it. Amazing that we can have smart metres that show how much we owe in real time, but getting money out of them still requires physical pieces of paper.

My energy supplier is trying to double my direct debit based on the energy used in the last 3 months since I was switched to them, as if the depths of winter is a completely representative sample.

Edit: Does this sound typical for all energy companies?

"Your electricity rates will change from 20.316p to 27.627p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 23.76p to 44.74p.
Your gas rates will change from 3.987p to 7.282p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.11p to 27.22p."

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 9, 2022

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks everyone re: standing charges. I suspected they were all much of a muchness.

Which makes having lots of private companies doing the same thing for the same price with the same low standard of competence even more ridiculous.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The trick is to have one's staff empty the bins.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Failed Imagineer posted:

I watched an episode of Grand Designs the other day where the guy was building a circular house, by my reckoning there was only one side

I rented a circular room once, it's a constant source of low-level irritation and I don't understand why someone would do that voluntarily.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Hey thread,

Does anyone have any experience dealing with a noise complaint?

Make your own recordings. A cheap nannycam/webcam with a mic, and store the recordings for 30 days. If there's another complaint, then hopefully you'll have the day recorded, but even if you don't you'll have an established pattern that your dogs don't bark (or you'll be horrified to find out they do, the moment you leave the house).

quote:

Slapfight

Rock was in the wrong for making a joke about someone's medical condition at an event that is supposed to be a celebration and not some edgy dark comedy roast special. Smith was in the wrong for deciding that smacking someone in the face was the most appropriate way to express his displeasure, and for treating Jada Pinkett Smith as though she was his property that had to be defended because she had no agency. And the Academy is in the wrong for suggesting they might remove Smith's Oscar because they sure as hell didn't previously have a problem with handing them out to physically and sexually abusive men.

Nobody deserves sympathy.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Men who hit other men to "defend" their wife/ girlfriend's honour generally see their partner as property and an extension of themselves. It's their own ego that's been hurt. They have chosen this woman as theirs, you criticise or disrespect that woman, therefore you're criticising their taste. The woman is never asked if she wants or needs defending, or even whether she wants to do so herself.

The Smiths have an open marriage, which weirdly means Will Smith is angry that his wife's name was in Chris Rick's mouth but would have been fine with her pussy in his mouth.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I read in my village newsletter that we're having a great British bunt off for the jubilee with most bunted home winning a prize. Also, completely unrelated, the lady that writes the newsletter has bunting for sale.

- £2.50 for plastic triangular bunting (7m & 25 flags)

- £4.00 for polyester rectangular flags (9m & 30 flags)

https://cunting.bigcartel.com/products

OwlFancier posted:

I still think it's weird and daft my mother doesn't spend any money on insulation or a PV install rather than knocking holes in the house and constantly renovating.

I have wanted solar panels for years but my bloody neighbour's leylandii do a sterling job of blocking the sun.

It's fortunate that my house is very warm in winter (it's horrible during a heatwave) but the windows are beginning to let draughts in. I desperately need to replace the worst of them before next winter, otherwise it'll be back to sticking plastic over the glass in an attempt to stop the heat leaking out.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I was once undercharged for utilities (their mistake) for almost 2 years, and they back-dated the amounts owed to 9 months, I think, by adding a little on top of my monthly bill rather than demanding a lump sum. The letter made it sound as though they were doing me this as a favour but I looked it up and apparently that was the maximum they were allowed to charge by law.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to all the TERFS chanting "One of us! One of us!" as a ripped, bearded transman emerges from the ladies' toilets, carrying their gametes aloft on a bit of tissue.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
On a wildly different note, does anyone know of any good podcasts about Levrinty Beria/NKVD? I don't think Behind the Bastards has covered him yet but that's the kind of thing I'm interested in.

We now return to Linechat.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Breathy acoustic tracks are designed to hit the nostalgic bone in the target audience. It's familiar and comforting to people who remember and liked the original, but different enough that people who hated the original song/band aren't going to start frothing at mere mention of the product later on.

Leonard Cohen is like Bob Dylan: a brilliant poet and songwriter, but less great as a singer. I tend to prefer other people singing their songs. The tragedy with Hallelujah is that not enough people sing the "I did my best it wasn't much/I couldn't feel so I tried to touch" verse. If it's sung right, that whole verse is heartbreakingly desperate.

Mebh posted:

Hello fellow behind the bastards fan. We just discovered it after we ran out of swindled.

History of the cold war has an episode on him. As does evil men and biographics:history one life at a time. I've not listened to them yet though.

Also thanks for all the input on ME/CFS goons. As it stands the ADHD meds have not been great with ridiculously poo poo come downs that either drove me to a very dark depression with lisdexamfetamine and made me nauseous if I so much as sniffed alcohol. Whereas methylphenidate gives me RAGE that I have to fight to control when I crash. I'm also in absolutely unreal full body and muscle pain, hypersensitive to light, sound and smell.

The fucker with private is its so eye wateringly expensive (300 a month) the motivation to risk changing anything just isn't there as then its going to extend the duration i have to be with them.

Thank you! I liked the History of the Cold War podcast and will check out the others.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Here's my terrible music take: I really like some of the Choir!Choir!Choir! covers and I get vicarious joy in seeing them perform, even if the singing isn't professional quality.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 3, 2022

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Don't companies have a legal obligation to do the best thing for their shareholders? So if energy prices are rising and they didn't put up prices, they'd be damaging their shareholders' profits and opening themselves up to lawsuits?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hey sorry to interrupt the bickering, but new lodger is expecting to pay half of bills like water and Internet, which aren't metered and would be the same whether they were here or not, and also half the council tax instead of just the 25% single person discount I lose.

I'm confused. They're confused. What is normal?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There's a Liberal Club and a Conservative Club within about 3 miles of my home, and I've never been to either. The ConClub is in a really lovely old building and they open it up to the public a few days each year.

It's far, far safer to go into the Conservative Club than it is to either of the two very fash pubs, unless you've got a tattoo of the En-ger-land Flag and current EDL membership.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rustybear posted:

Sorry to break in with a random request but wondering if some of the folks in this thread might be able to point me in the right direction.

Can anyone recommend a legal representative / advisor for a Public Nuisance charge related to a protest. Rather not go into detail but a friend is currently intending to represent themselves which seems foolhardy in the extreme to me as it's an unlimited fine and/or custodial sentence of up to 5 years. Free / pro bono type would be ideal but all options considered, cheers.

DM me please, prefer not to discuss as they don't know I've posted here. Thanks.

Defending yourself is an incredibly stupid idea. Pay for the best legal defence you can get because it will always be cheaper than the price of your freedom.

Green and Black Cross are not solicitors, but they have a list of different types of solicitors, including criminal solicitors, and has a list of ones that come recommended and ones to avoid here: https://greenandblackcross.org/solicitors/. This isn't a comprehensive list but it's somewhere to start.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Gilbert Gottfried has died.

John Oliver had him read all the ridiculous Brexit agreements because Parliamentary footage can't be used in comedy shows. And he treated it with the respect it truly deserved by seguing into Bigfoot erotica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdHmp5EX5bE

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The reason London boroughs have such a high population density isn't because people are living in high rises, it's because bedrooms (and living rooms converted into bedrooms) in the low rise houses are rented out separately.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mourning Due posted:

Seeing this gave me a thought:

Has anyone put it to the Tories, that if shipping asylum seekers to Rwanda is the loveliest thing we can do for them: will they be sending Ukrainian refugees there as well? Or do they recognise that it's a hosed up thing to do to anyone?

No, you see the Ukrainian refugees are generally women, and therefore we can force them to stay in one bedroom flats with men who can't afford a respectable mail-order Eastern European bride.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Quietly relieved that there are no elections tomorrow where I live, but unfortunately this means the main topic of conversation at work is the impending US ban on abortion.

Depressing times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like how much is that a thing here? Like isn't it everyone just lamenting how crazy those colonials are?

Yes, but remember that a lot of the UK TERF groups have been funded by American evangelicals who aren't going to be content with only taking away rights for trans people. If you decide that the definition of a woman depends on her ovaries, then it's a hop, skip and a jump away from deciding that a woman's worth depends on her ovaries.