Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

The dnd thread is awful, you honestly get more level headed and informative posting in the Cspam equivalent.

Unless your version of level headedness is supporting Russia, I’m not so sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
There’s a difference between taking up arms to defend the idea of a country in the abstract, and taking up arms to defend your real home and country that’s full of your friends and family and community and would suffer massively in the event of being successfully invaded by a powerful neighbour.

I don’t agree with conscription but quite a few Ukrainians I know have stayed behind to fight willingly, and I don’t see why they shouldn’t be given the tools to do so if that’s what they want to do. I admire their bravery.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Trees grow in the UK, we could just use them for solar power and burn them

What you want to chop down trees? How’s that renewable?

You can grow concrete

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the same reason everyone started spelling it kyiv, because that's probably closer to the correct pronunciation and suddenly everyone is very keen to be performatively supportive about things they didn't give a poo poo about last month.

I feel that there are good reasons why people previously uninterested in Ukraine may now be very interested indeed

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Every country in the world is full of massive amounts of different types of people. The money, be it Russian or otherwise, decides which of them get heard and promoted, and indeed which aspects of people’s views are amplified. The fact that Russia played a large part in this is something that deserves to be reported, and it being reported on is a good thing.

In the end, we’re all talking out of our arses and doing a lot of reckoning.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Borrovan posted:

In my opinion the fact that lots of people & groups interfere with our lovely democracy is not a valid reason not to pay attention when Russia does it

This. It isn’t ‘Russia brained’ to think it’s worth pointing out that Russian elites have, to some degree or other, negatively influenced politics in the UK. I also don’t think it’s the world’s greatest crime for the journalist who has ploughed probably thousands of hours into this topic to focus inordinately on it. That’s just like… normal.

Also find it kind of funny to hark back to the days of Harold Wilson to make a point about this. The world is actually quite different now.

E: ^^^ so Cadwalladr should either report on all sources of political manipulation in the UK equally, or none at all?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, that's it, you're very smart.

It's the same defence you see of Bellingcat, "oh, so just because they focus on Iraq & Syria & almost completely ignore Yemen means we should ignore them?".

So… the first part of your post is unironic or what? Because you are literally saying that the argument that you shouldn’t ignore everything someone says just because they have a particular focus is wrong, meaning by process of elimination that you either have equal focus on everything, or don’t do anything at all. Like the answer to that last bit is just so obviously ‘no, of course not’ but you seem to disagree?

Genuinely baffled at this

E: also Jeherrin you should post more that was a good post

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Russian disinformation's effect on public life is negligible at best.

Source?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Isomermaid posted:

Assuming a scenario where people were sufficiently mobilised to get rid of russian financial interference in politics as "step 1", if Cadwalladr et al didn't support going further then who cares what they think, frankly. The problem is systemic and the right solution will involve changing the system rather than singling out one bad actor (Russian oligarchy). Leaving a power vacuum for british/american/whoever toffs to sweep back in after and do the same thing is absolutely a problem that would need tackling alongside what she's talking about and she may or may not be up for that. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do the thing with regards to Russian money now while there's support we could capture to build an argument for going further off the back of.

While we're not having those arguments, we're leaving the door open for the right to either try and hush the whole thing up because they're on the payroll, or they're on the payroll of someone else. Or, to say "the problem was only Russia and we've fixed that now so everything's fine". Or "look, the left don't want to get rid of Russian money, I wonder why, knowhatimean?" and while that's a loving stupid line it's absolutely one they're already trotting out.

I dunno, maybe I'm having a liberal, incrementalist moment here, I agree there's a way bigger more obvious problem than Russia in terms of money in politics I just don't see the argument for not going in on that part of the solution. Surely it helps, a bit?

Exactly this. The left are great at totally failing to seize a very loving obvious moment.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 14, 2022

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

I think stuff gets read in this thread a lot for being something it's not.

I wasn't saying "don't investigate malign influences of Russian money" I'm saying "Do that, but also if we're acknowledging that Russian money is a problem now, we should also be acknowledging that ALL big money is a problem and working to curb those influences". Like if Russia detached from the earth and flew off into space with all the Russian oligarchs, the British establishment would immediately be cosying up to, I don't know, Chinese billionaires? The Saudis even more? American evangelical interests? Who knows. The point is that removing Russian influence while not dealing with anything else ultimately solves nothing.

That's not saying "We should not be dealing with undue political influence from Russians". I don't think anyone is saying that? It's just that to do so only tackles part of the problem.

It's similar to everybody making out like Trump was this huge problem and once he was out of office things would be much better for the American people. Like, yes, get the guy out of office, but he's only there in the first place because things are severely hosed and if you don't tackle the conditions that got him there then you aren't fixing anything.

I think it's hard to take anything else from the initial points made by some. Characterising the journalist responsible for a lot of this digging as a liberal Russia-brained hack doesn't say to me that the person doing that cares about Russian influence, but also wants more people taking a closer look at other billionaires and world powers. There's nothing wrong with having a specific focus to what you choose to investigate.

Edit: ^^ would it be too cheeky to link one of Cadwalladr's articles on this?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Absolutely true, legends

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
E: never mind, was being an arse and there wasn’t any need

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 14, 2022

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Never saw it but never apologise for being rude online, it's what it's for. Never be kind online.

I’ll apologise for what I want, you loving oval office!!! :argh:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

paging crispix

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Norman they’ve chopped off your tail! DO SOMETHING NORMAN

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
There’s definitely a vibe amongst certain sections of the left (tankies, C-SPAM, SWP dickheads) to make hatred of the west, and blaming the west for everything, a core part of their political identity. I know this because I eagerly await them coming out the woodwork to defend the persecution of Uyghers or the invasion of Ukraine (sorry, not defend, assign major blame to the west for) and like clockwork they’re there.

There are arsehole imperialists all over the world, it’s not all us.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

gently caress off.

My partners sister gets coldsores and everytime they appear she locks herself away for two weeks until it goes away. They often come about when she's going through a period of great stress or depression, so societies frankly childish reaction to a very common ailment doesn't help her mental health.

herpes confirmed

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’d guess as someone who’s building his own house, 99 probably has more than one car. Observation, not disparagement.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It's not about changing radical bigots' minds, it's about destroying them to the point that others who might think about engaging in vocal bigotry think twice.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Trying to get an emergency sertraline prescription because I forgot to order in time really hammers home how loving shagged out the health service is. Absolutely im-loving-possible.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

I feel really lucky to have a button on my phone that orders me more brain pills, because no way would I be organised enough to talk to actual human beings about it.

Jesus how do I get this to be a thing. I'm getting dangerously close to 'threaten suicide', which does usually seem to expedite things but I don't love to do for obvious reasons.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You get that with boro too, normally "in town" means boro center where all the shopping centers are (three, no less) but you go to one of the satellite towns south of it and "town" means "the big road with some shops on, possibly the lidl if you are so bold"

I think you’ll find Redcar is quite a lot more than a big road with some shops on, mister :colbert:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If youse haven't watched the caelan conrad videos I would again recommend them because apparently the terfs are all reading books that basically say that when your kid is being trans that is an alternate personality put there by a cult and they aren't really your kid.

Genuinely hosed up and it has left me wondering whether or not he thinks that there is literally a devil cult out there brainwashing his family away from him or something.

They put the slidey gates in recently, it used to have a choppy gate but they took it out for some reason.

I honestly thought the nearby saltburn was the least used in the area but the works stop makes sense given that almost nobody works there any more.

It's weird that the train even stops there honestly.

E: oh and the air raid siren is the chemical siren, it goes off when there's a chemical leak from the works and also they test it every so often.

Does it stop there? I thought it usually just breezed past these days. I love that alarm too, every Tuesday it used to go off when I lived there anyway and it was great for pretending the End Times Were Coming (sooner than they actually are). Even better when it's a real alarm, and the flare stacks they burn off dangerous poo poo with are lighting up the sky a fierce, flickering orange. It's a bit of a shithole but I'm not sure I'd have had anywhere else as my starting zone to be honest.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The actual flares themselves are MASSIVE too, if you’re close enough to see the flame itself. They really look like they’re half or more the height of the stacks themselves.

You might have posted them so sorry if I missed them, but did you ever take photos of the Dorman Long tower before the loving BASTARDS knocked it down?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I assumed it would have been a bit of a gently caress about to get somewhere for a decent picture. There are quite a few photos of it at least!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
My favourite Blade Runner story is the bit with the big columns, and they’d been doing weeks of night shoots in loving grim weather in Teesside and all the cast and crew were loving sick of it. Then Scott decided he preferred the columns the other way up and made them do it all again.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Level crossings are a loving pain in the arse though. One of the worst things about redcar is that the rail line runs at grade through half the town, and even with its relatively light use it backs the traffic up a lot.

They should build some kind of insane bridge off the top deck of morrisons car park and have it terminate at the mcdonalds drive through.

I can’t help but feel that making the Morrisons car park a throughway would result in a million percentage increase in old biddies being flung about by modded Corsas

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
You’ve got that little street GAME (is, was?) on as the runway too. Think we’re onto something here.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I remember seeing one of those at longbeck, similar situation in that it's literally off someone's back garden, near the aptly named cat flatt lane. So if every you felt like speedrunning getting out of bed to getting hit by a train that's definitely a competitor. Every other crossing is either over or under but there is one that's just "eh, just avoid the train"

gently caress me, that’s my nan’s street. I used to walk over that and up the path to smoke spliffs when I was staying with her

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can pick a not-tupperware container exactly like this in every pound shop in the country.

However, the reason why flour gets packed in paper rather than plastic (or even waxed paper like sugar) is that sitting in an airtight container with an air gap over it promotes fungal growth much more quickly than either leaving it out in the open (although obviously there's insect and other hygiene problems with that) or just folding over the top of the paper bag. Not a problem if you're getting through a bag in a couple of weeks, but longer than that you get to spin the Wheel Of Ergotism.

Can the wheel reward you with LSD, or is it just unpleasant illnesses?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think it’s pretty funny to go up on stage on national tv and slap Chris Rock for taking the piss out of your wife’s medical condition, and if anyone did that for me I’d think that was quite nice of them. Not that they thought they owned me. People sometimes slap or otherwise do minor acts of violence against each other. It’s a lot healthier than a 90 tweet screed or whatever’s sadly replacing the humble smack.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It used to be a weird anomaly, but now that weird anomalies are the norm it just seems normal and not interesting. Honestly a bunch of celebrities being involved in some nice group to do something nice and normal would be more shocking at this point.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I always thought ukmt was cool normal people and cspam was way too online weirdo internet tankies

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

First time anybody has ever suggested I was normal.

Normal *by the standards of dead gay comedy forum Something Awful dot com*

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Dabir posted:

Nonsense. It would be sheer ignorance to deny that the Chrono Cross soundtrack is anything but the magnum opus of vidcon music; its lifting and oftentimes hauntingly peaceful guitar melodies soothe all but the most savage of beasts while its tense battle themes and mysterious donjon tunes ignite a blazing passion that can be quenched only by the vidcon's profound story and gameplay. It is a wonder that anyone can listen to anything besides vidcon musical compositions after listening to Mitsuda-san's immensely powerful soundtrack, but given that the primitive thuds of hip hop are America's current choice of 'music' (I use the term music liberally), one can see little hope in the mass appreciation of Mitsuda-san's work.

Mods???????

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone who does one of those ‘breathy singer, twinkly piano, possibly a loving acoustic guitar if you’re really unfortunate’ covers should, and I’m not being hyperbolic here, be killed.

E: shite, shiter, bit shite but just for being soft as gently caress, they’re not bad really.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It honestly makes me kind of angry. I can’t put my finger on why, I’m just imagining the entire process and everyone involved in it either genuinely believing or pretending to themselves and those around them that these covers are actually really touching or affecting, and congratulating themselves for a job well done. Like at least the people who earn millions killing whales or fracking, there’s a logical route to how that’s happened. It’s evil as gently caress but it makes sense.

Those covers are like an aberration, a cruel joke played on us people who are allergic to twee bullshit by a bunch of suited dick head wankers.

gently caress

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Man this has actually upset me a bit, she seemed lovely :(

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I just want to live in a world where looking up hot Asian babes is not looked down upon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

*googles "Asian girls first time seeing huge white cock"*

That's a real odd picture, the crack in the wall running into the woman's straight posture makes it look like it's two pictures