Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Cheesewring reminds me of Brimham Rocks, also home to many unlikely piles of stones, as featured in a Bee Gees video.

Or the bizarre eccentrics in Kinder Plateau, or the Dartmoor tors. Rocks are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jiggerypokery posted:

I'm really glad people are stepping in on this thread who aren't completely broke brained by cynicism.

We need to be screaming at the top of our lungs right loving now.

We can get back to navel gazing about which particular opinions makes a given centrist Bad Actually when the only war crimes being committed aren't ones the public cares about.

I promise you I hear you OwlFancier I'm with you on all of it but if A = B then A + B must be twice as bad. We HAVE to do something.

The mainstream press is picking up our role in facilitating this and we HAVE to use that. Right now.

Who is we in this instance and what are we doing? All of Twitter is posting as hard as they can about Ukraine and it doesn't seem to have solved things yet, is there also a second step in your plan for stopping Russian influences past writing Guardian articles and screaming at the top of our lungs?

e: The reason I ask is that any plausible next step I can think of that would actually work to combat corruption in UK politics doesn't seem like the sort of thing Cadwalladr and her colleagues are likely to support.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 14, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jiggerypokery posted:

We are at an almost unique moment where people might actually care.

1) these cunts took Russian money leading to war crimes on your TVs
2) look who else they took money from and the poo poo they do

huge agree

I don't have anything in particular against revealing Russian corruption of UK politics - it's even good! Likewise, if you want to seize some mansions and freeze some bank accounts and football clubs belonging to Russian billionaires, great, gently caress 'em. Where I differ is that I don't think this is the first step in a campaign against corruption and billionaires. To me it looks like straightforward opportunism - all things Russian are currently unpopular and politically vulnerable, so if you're a politician with obligations to certain Russians, now is a great time to get out from under them. Likewise if you're a non-Russian billionaire who considers them a rival to your own influence over British media and politics, now is a perfect time to try and push them out, and maybe even pick up some luxury properties in London on the cheap. But that's as far as it goes - get rid of some Russian billionaires and maybe their closest political allies. And nobody else. If you want to go after the rest, well, your options are exactly the same as they always were and you won't get any more support from the media and political classes than you ever did previously.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pistol_Pete posted:

Guys, I just can't follow this Russia/ Ukraine argument. Could you reframe it as a Star Wars or Harry Potter analogy?

OK, so there's this planet called Naboo inhabited by both the Naboo people and the Gungans. Now, a certain dark wizard has been lying low for many years since the end of a secret war of ideology...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'd seek advice from the university they're applying to, they typically employ someone just to deal with this kind of thing. My probably outdated understanding is that if you have settled status in the UK you can get up to 4 years worth of undergraduate loan funding in England if you haven't previously received funding from SLC England. If they're not applying in England there may be different rules, ask the university.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 18, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm sure smarter people than me have made the observation before, but I'm struck by how much Linehan and the other more deranged transphobes are indistinguishable from conspiracy theorists. Secret knowledge that the rest of the world can't see or is being kept from seeing, powerful enemies who are targetting society at large and them personally, a compulsion to spread the word to everyone in every context, a complete rejection of any evidence that counters their belief, and of course hate figures in the form of actual real trans people who are conveniently mostly powerless and easy to harm.

Plenty of prominent bigots are doing it for a paycheque and know how far they can go while staying "respectable". But true believers like Linehan can't shut the gently caress up no matter how damaging it is to them personally. I wish he'd seek professional help because he's clearly pretty unwell. I don't have any sympathy for him, but it'd be great if we never had to hear from or about him again.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Edinburgh is alright, I like the bizarre layout with all the tiny lanes and sets of endless stairs. Admittedly I've never had to live there. Stirling has a much better castle though. They've done it up so the decoration is similar to how it actually was when people lived there (that's why it's partly yellow on the outside - castle were often painted rather the bare stone we typically see now), and it has actors/tour guides in period dress pretending to be inhabitants. And it's cheaper to get in.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's actually very easy to come to the correct take on the Oscars thing. By way of analogy assume that Jada Smith is Ukraine, Chris Rock is Vladimir Putin, and Will Smith is NATO. Now,

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

therattle posted:

In South Africa Pesach is avocado season. Avo mashed on matzoh is really good.

My new column: how I bought a house in Cape Town just by giving up avocado matzoh (and a 3 million rand loan from my parents).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Private Speech posted:

e: Also if it's "about male economic migrants in the main" what about people like me, a male (legal) economic migrant from eastern europe?

They clearly use "migrants" to mean "illegals, alien scum, just filth" but you'd expect ministers to be more careful with their words.

I'm sure you already know the answer to that one, but if not get yourself a brown paper bag and run a quick self-comparison.

You'd think that working age "economic migrants" are exactly what a country that has huge labour shortages in multiple critical sectors would want. But racism is more important.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mebh posted:

Has anyone read the leadership book "leaders eat last"? I've been given it to read for work and I'm really struggling to get through it. The first chapter goes on about how awesome the Marines are... the second chapter has an anecdotal story about gunning down the taliban with an A-10 in Afghanistan.

Is this just to get lovely chuddy managers to read it? I'm told it gets better and I mean the third chapter is "Employees are people too!" but it's like... fucksake. I've just finished a podcast on Henry Kissinger and Nixon and all the poo poo they got up to over the years and I really can't stomach any "hoorah America" right now.

Is the title drawing a comparison between middle managers and the supposed behaviour of wolves/lions/some other romanticised apex predator? If so you could already tell it was bullshit right there.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Apex predators do tend to spend a lot of time asleep and eat their own poo.

Please do not reveal the premise of my forthcoming self help book.

Also do not reveal the title of my new career help book, "Tapeworm Mindset: Worming Your Way to the Top From The Inside", available now in hardback for only £29.99 at all good booksellers.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 15, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Always encyst on excellence.
:golfclap:

BalloonFish posted:

"Leaders eat Last" is a basic principle hammered out in military officer training, the point being that you take care of your team's needs above your own because that's what your unit's effectiveness relies on. The guys' job is to do the task, your job is to enable them to do it. Don't eat until you've ensured everyone else will have a meal, don't go into your tent until everyone else's tents are sorted. Be the first awake and the last to go to sleep, that sort of thing.
Thanks, seems a broadly reasonable point then. It just sounded like the classic "this is what I've misunderstood from animal behaviour, here's how it applies to humans in exactly the same way". I forgot about the other type of management book, "your workplace is the same as the military".

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 15, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Cars are the natural enemy of the Londoner and can be a powerful ally to the simple country folk outside zone 6... but that power comes at great cost.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They should do the American thing and just drive a lawnmower or other not-a-car that you can drive without a license. The French used to have the VSP (voiture sans permis - literally "car without license") which was basically a four-wheeled moped, limited to 30 mph and 300 kg, that filled the same niche too. Stupidly though they now require both a license and big-car safety levels which is really missing the point. Instead they should go back to the origins of the VSP and make a car that's basically guaranteed to injure the driver as much as any pedestrian they happen to hit, like this:

specifically for getting back from the pub purposes.

Maybe our resident Finn can weigh in, but I was unreliably informed that scooters and wood-gas cars (suposedly by some legislative oversight not requiring a license) are the vehicles of choice for drunk rural Finns getting back home after a long night trying to drown their sorrows. It sounds to me too good to be true and I suspect they just drunk-drive like other backwoods tipplers the world over, but I do repeat it as fact at every opportunity. And it is true that I once overtook a guy hunched behind the tiny windshield of his scooter, weaving back and forth on the ice with one foot down for balance, late at night on a road somewhere in deepest, darkest Lapland.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm defending myself against potential future time-travelling descendants by simply making the planet too hosed up for them to live on. Putting my newspapers in normal waste rather than recycling, not turning off my lights when I leave the room, developing world-ending doomsday weapons, using plastic straws, and so on.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Julio Cruz posted:

a shitload of people are against any form of immigration because they're racist as gently caress

I'm against immigration to the UK because I don't think it's humane to expect non-Brits to live there.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

serious gaylord posted:

For the purpose that you are using it (viral protection) a mask that doesn't fit offers little to no benefit over a piece of cloth. FFP2s are also not rated for direct viral contact even if it fits correctly.

It is literally my job to teach people about this.

All it is doing is giving you the perception of safety while not making you safer. If that's what you want fill your boots.

That doesn't seem to be supported by the literature. You can see a study from last year on the real world use of masks in reducing covid infection (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm), and a recent long discussion of the mechanics of masks with a focus on N95 types ( https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.chas.1c00016). My interpretation of both is that a poor fit reduces the effectiveness, and the second paper suggests that bad fit is the single biggest reduction in effectiveness for N95 masks. But they still work better than cloth or nothing, as do surgical masks. And there is at least one good scenario to wear a surgical mask: if you are infected with covid and the aim is to protect others around you.

Also there is the suggestion, though evidence seems weak, that the filters in N95 can harbour viruses and lead to reaerosolisation, so if you are not changing them often you may pose a risk to others.

Still, I confess that I'm not an expert in this and would rather follow the advice of people who are than base my actions off reading a couple papers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Expert advice vs personal research is an interesting question I think. "Do your own research" is the cry of a lot of conspiracy theorists and pseudoscientists, and if you accept that you can't possibly be a subject matter expert in every topic then by default you have to defer to expert advice in many cases. Medical statistics in particular is a pretty difficult and opaque field that few people are well equipped to navigate.

But of course following the scientific consensus requires trusted channels by which that advice is propagated, and if you can't trust your government for instance, how do you best access the latest and greatest scientific findings without trying to read the journals and interpreting the results yourself?

There's also the problem that even a theoretical perfectly trustworthy and benevolent government that aims to propagate the best possible advice does not have your personal best interests in mind - it considers the interests of the population at large. That means that an approach aiming to preserve a normal level of public life and social interaction at the cost of higher infection rates might plausibly be entirely rational and justified on a national scale, but it's little comfort to you if you're one of the ones who is being hurt by this greater good policy, and your best move might still not be to follow that advice.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

Google scholar, SciHub, rank journals by impact factor, rank authors by h-index and professional credentials, read articles and evaluate the arguments from a basis of rationality, ask people on forums if you don't understand what terms mean. Knowledge is very accessible, if you have the time and motivation

Sure, it's possible to do that in principle. I work as a research scientist and would like to think I have a better than average ability to do that kind of research and interpret the results. But it takes a lot of time, and inevitably in a research area that is responding to a recent crisis you get a lot of conflicting studies because we're still building a base of evidence and understanding. Then you need to be able to tell a well performed study from a bad one, assess the statistical power of the results, decide whether reported effects actually have a well evidenced mechanic, understand if the cohort and environment being studied is representative and/or matches your own circumstances, and so on. Hopefully the paper you're reading has a good discussion section that covers this stuff.

These are problems that the scientific community at large struggles with: we know from meta-analyses that underpowered or biased studies are sadly common even in quite good journals and most reported results are not reproduced and checked. You might hope that a global pandemic with effectively unlimited research funding would get better scrutiny than usual, but it's still difficult for one person to grasp all this.

Personally I know I don't have the time or ability to really stay abreast of this one topic, important though it is, let alone do the same for every new crisis du jour.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 22, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

That sounds like there is A Person Stealing Things In The Village and probably does not constitute a societal trend.

You seem to know a lot about these thefts for an innocent person. Where were you last night and how do you explain all these well gummed sippy cups you have?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
De la décennie? Doesn't quite have the same ring.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Private Speech posted:

one of her policies is literally giving money to native French parents who have at least 3 kids to encourage lebensraum.

Lebensraum (living space) is about increasing your territory in response to perceived overpopulation, not increasing your population.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

in my first year course at uni we all had to buy our textbooks new for a stupid price as each copy came with a one-time code to sign up to a lovely online quiz that iirc counted towards our marks. love to see innovation in the textbook scam field

Wow that's brutal. I fell for the textbook scam in my first semester and dutifully spent an insane amount of money on the current editions of the required reading. Then I figured out that firstly you didn't need most of them and secondly the uni library had them all anyway, maybe a year or two "out of date" but containing the same material with the numbers in the worked examples swapped around. I think we only had one lecturer who wanted you to buy his book: others also put their own work on the reading list but gave out copies of the relevant parts.

These days I would strongly advise any students to buy all of their textbooks and stay well away from the copyright-infringing websites https://sci-hub.se/ and https://libgen.is/, where most textbooks and journal articles are easily found, having been illegally uploaded by ne'er-do-wells.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Red Oktober posted:

And in some cases the article writers themselves! One that I used to have would upload his because the journal sites charged £30/download and he never got any of it.

Appalling, just because you wrote the article doesn't mean you have the right to distribute it! That's taking food right out of the mouths of the poor folks at Elsevier and Springer.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lungboy posted:

"Cosmo Landesman (born September 1954[1]) is a British-based American-born journalist and editor. With his former wife Julie Burchill and friend Toby Young, he founded the magazine Modern Review."

What a cursed bio.

Either we found the one person who is willing to admit to being friends with Toby Young, or Toby Young has been editing Wikipedia.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Epic High Five posted:

Wait is that quote not parody?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1522624213512769536?s=19

Strikes are wrong at a time when Negotiations are ongoing.

I'm not sure if I've actually listened to Starmer's voice before but I clicked play on this and he sounds like C3PO if he got bullied into huffing helium.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

TrashFuture has him as dweeb Alan Partridge

Milo Edwards is the canonical leader of the Labour Party to me

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
And also crispix of course.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've just seen that the Finnish Eurovision entry this year is The Rasmus, and apparently they released 9 albums after that one song of theirs you know.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Wondering now if Bomfunk MC's are also still touring and releasing a series of Platinum albums in Finland.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Last I recall Twisto was about to go back and reexamine his UKMT-archiving Python scripts. I hope he hasn't been inadvertently trapped inside a terrifying virtual world of posts, or if he has been it's early 2017 UKMT where everyone is hopeful and socialism is just around the corner.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

If between here and Twitter I haven't posted in 6 weeks I think you can safely assume I'm dead. Unless I post about going abroad or something, IDK

Just for future reference

If this guy's not postin', assume he's a-ghostin'.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Jacob Rees-Mogg is off-message, everyone is meant to be retraining for a job in Cyber.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't own a tablet or even a laptop, I use my desktop 95% of the time both at work and home and that's the proper way and will always be. 5% smartphone or so.

Just as God and Wozniak intended.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Only Spain had the courage to show that much arse and energetic thrusting on stage and to be honest I reckon they was robbed. The UK entry was genuinely pretty good though, first time in a long while it hasn't been something extremely bad and embarrassing. Obviously Ukraine were going to get it but it was still a bit heartwarming so see them just get a million points from the public vote.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There was a guy at my work who just left his phone and ID card on his desk one Friday and vanished. His family called the company because they didn't know where he was, he hadn't been in contact with anyone, and frankly after a week or two we thought he'd probably offed himself. A couple months later the police tracked him down through his bank account withdrawing money from an ATM somewhere in France, and since he was apparently still alive and it is perfectly legal to leave your entire life behind and move abroad without telling anyone that was the last we heard of it. We only even heard that much because the family wanted his nearest colleagues to know.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

feedmegin posted:

...if all the evidence they have is 'cash out of ATM machine' I would wonder if he's in a shallow grave somewhere after his kidnapper beat his PIN out of him :ohdear:

Nah they have CCTV inside ATMs these days recording who takes the cash out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I found out recently that System of a Down did a Wu-Tang cover with RZA and it is very strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY42Ytl2s6U