Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

What a time to be alive.

Now, given current affairs. It's VERY IMPORTANT we keep talking about my erection

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of the impending nuclear apocalypse, the Western media have translated the Russian word that should have been 'elevated' to 'high', so they are reporting that the nuclear forces are on high alert, while failing to mention that Putin has raised it from the lowest level to the second lowest level. There are still two levels to go....

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497952720841584647

Update: it was SHROVE... but in the last few hours we've passed into PANCAKE

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Are we not entertained?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I welcome the refugees but they don't go far enough

Thread title to be honest.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I'm worried this "no-fly-zone" talk is going to have to be taken seriously soon.

Unless Zelenskyy is captured and somehow the resistance completely caves this is going to turn into Aleppo all over again.

In that situation, NATO has to sit here, watching Aleppo happen in Europe with no guarantees that it stops with Kyiv. I'm not sure that "this intervention starts and stops with Ukraine" isn't a safer tact than "wait and see if the aggression starts and stops with Ukraine". Assuming a no-fly-zone doesn't go from 0-armageddon overnight, Russian artillery is forced to retreat or be destroyed from the air and Putin is unable to take Kyiv with boots on the ground.

I'm also not sure what is scarier, an emboldened Putin having successfully flattened Ukrainian resistance with bombs and brutality or an embarrassed and defeated Putin.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

A no-fly-zone is a limited war. I mean it in the sense of "These are the rules we NATO will engage with. Only Airpower, only within the borders of Ukraine. We won't hit anything outside of Ukraine, including Russian air bases. Withdraw your poo poo or we will have a hot war under these terms"

It doesn't have to escalate beyond that. I'm being a little devil's advocate here. I'm saying that the writing is on the wall and I think we are going to see this option being taken more and more seriously. I am not saying anything about what I think NATO should and shouldn't do.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

There is no such thing as a "limited war" for god's sake, you're either at war or not, and if you're at war you don't get to say "yeah but you're not allowed to retaliate because we were only doing a little bit of war"

Western Europe is already sending arms, equipment and volunteers. By this logic, there is zero difference between the situation we were in Monday last week, a "no-fly-zone" and total apocalyptic war.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you can't tell the difference between sending weapons for Ukraine to use and an American pilot shooting down a Russian pilot then I really don't know what to tell you.

And if you can't tell the difference between using an American pilot to shoot down a Russian pilot in Ukraine and sending nukes followed by columns of tanks into Moscow/Brussels then I strongly recommend not following goings on over the next couple of weeks because it's going to be loving terrifying.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you genuinely trying to claim sending actual NATO forces in to Ukraine to fight Russian forces - because that's what a no-fly zone *is* - somehow isn't a colossal escalation of the situation?

No, I am trying to claim it is a colossal escalation of the situation and I believe that with each passing day as situation in Ukraine turns from an apparently heroic and effective resistance into Alepo 2.0 it's more and more likely to actually happen. Again I am not saying that is what should happen. I am saying that I don't think "no-fly-zone" talk is going to stay just rhetoric for very long.

e:

Guavanaut posted:

Another Brexit promise gone back on.

Made me lol

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Sanctions aren't totally useless. But they have a "success" rate of only about 40%. And even then most of that data is from countries far less rich and powerful than Russia.

I think they might succeed in contributing to civil unrest and even toppling Putin in this case but I am not sure when that has ever been true before.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Their existence or at least the threat of their existence has wiped billions off the value of Russian assets. Look at Sberbank.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/SBR...j_dINa3r_L1qZyS

It's so many countries at once too.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/25/list-of-sanctions-on-russia-after-invasion

(pray for taiwan :ohdearsass:)

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I can't keep up with it, and gave up trying.

I think your bullet points are basically spot on, ronya.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I stopped reading the DnD thread when the general consensus was that actually it is very heroic to arm civilians to shoot the russians and if you suggest otherwise it is because you are too soft and have not experienced enough hardship in your life and they should have the opportunity to die heroically.

American Gun Fetishism is incredibly pervasive

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I was literally wondering on my way to work this morning, if this poo poo goes mental which country I would take up arms for. Not the UK that's for drat sure. Maybe Spain? Portugal seems chill but I've never been there.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Ukraine is corrupt as poo poo but that seems like a good a choice as any at this point.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I think it's philosophically sound to say that the current UK regime is not worth fighting and dying for while acknowledging that other regimes could be worse.

e: personally I can imagine alternatives which would be so much worse that I would fight and die for the neoliberal order as we have known it, if that was the choice. I fully acknowledge that it treats some people much worse than me.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 2, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Chechen 'gay purge' general Manbab Neckbeard has been confirmed killed so that's one silver lining on all this poo poo.

Fantastic that Putin's denazification plan is coming together.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/RPPSanford/status/1498974532396367873

Jermy wino says 18-20 year old russians deserve to die

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Like, he might be a twat but 1, he's not russia, and 2 war crimes is a bit strong

(from the telegraph)

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

who was their "key partner"?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Speaking of idiot cunts saying horrible poo poo, has it been confirmed yet if GB News is a Russian psyop?

It would be a hoot to see Andrew Neil tried for treason

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of which, what's happening with Afghanistan? I.S. just rolled the gently caress in, the West shook its fist at them with a stern look on its face, then the entire media just moved on and never looked back.

You mean the taliban?

It's worse than when they were last in power, by all accounts.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Borrovan posted:

I suspect OP does mean that, but Daesh have, in fact, rolled in

they're just using their trademark tried-and-true approach to any conflict (losing badly)

As an aside, i never really saw the point of just calling them "islamic state" in Arabic.

I thought they were fighting the Taliban for the last 10 years despite being all but defeated by the US

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Hard to imagine george galloway as a labour MP tbh.

Had to imagine him as an MP full stop actually and yet he has been.

When the barrier to entry is "oval office" it sort of fits. Expecially with all the narcissism points

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Services to harming the education of the poor. He has done as much as anyone to deserve a knighthood

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Coohoolin is someone on praxiscast?

I'm a very transient thread poster, I miss years of UKMT at a time sometimes

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Gotcha. I don't use the discord any more either.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Solar works just fine in the UK. It runs off light, not heat and actually gets less efficient in higher temperatures. I don't know how big of a deal overcast weather is - i assume it can't be ideal but it's made up at least somewhat by preventing them getting too hot

e: there's an insane amount of energy still in overcast daylight. Imagine the light setup you would need to use to light a football stadium with artificial light in a way that looks like an overcast day

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 6, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

It's almost certainly also a scam, to be fair

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

We have a lot of wind and a lot of sea so surely all renewables investment should purely focus on turbines and tidal generation? Solar seems inefficient here, like is it even worthwhile getting domestic solar panels installed if the government aren't subsidising/paying the cost?

My parents have them and say it was an insanely good investment, and they have gotten much better since.

They charge their hybrid car with it, can literally drive for free. It runs things like dishwasher, washing machine, electric oven, anything like that they can choose to run during the day. It charges batteries, I don't know how much they run off them, but they work at night too.

They turned to profit just selling excess back to the grid after 10 years or something, but the savings on fuel and other stuff must have added up way before that

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

They charge the batteries during the day, and the batteries last for some stuff during the night. Not the panels

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

They are deliberately round to be devoid of point

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I have a pet theory that 90% of the "culture war" grifters have Russian money involved, either backing them or amplifying them.

I don't think that the whole thing is a psyop but I do think that pouring gasoline on the division it sows and the horrible politics that ensues is a no brainer investment for the kremlin.

Has anyone ever pulled this thread? Any books or anything that have dug in?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think it's more likely that the dipshits started doing it off their own backs, and then russia / right wing thinktanks / kochs / whoever noticed them and realised that funding these dipshits could pay off. And now you have a 2nd tier of dipshits who are copying the 1st tier purely to get their hands on the funding.

The entire mechanism would be a worthy book/long form podcast

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

This guy
https://www.ft.com/content/143bb08e-4d5d-11e8-97e4-13afc22d86d4

quote:

A British MP has used parliamentary legal protections to accuse Christopher Chandler, a New Zealand billionaire, of having been suspected of links to Russian intelligence.

Mr Chandler founded the investment company Legatum Group which set up the think-tank Legatum Institute. The group traded in shares of Russian companies in the 1990s

funded GB news.
https://www.legatum.com/news/article/investors-give-go-ahead-for-gb-news

There are frothing idiots pushing this poo poo for sure, but I'm very interested where the money comes from.

How does spiked online exist, for example? breitbart?

Even if the money isn't all russian, it seems a good moment to cast a light on it and say "look who's agenda this is"

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Doesn't mean it isn't interesting. Manufacturing consent is a good book even if it is about bad poo poo. I'm glad it exists even if it didn't really help anything

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

gently caress me, that is incredible

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I think that was also in the monster raving loony party manifesto

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

https://www.dec.org.uk/appeal/ukraine-humanitarian-appeal anyone know anything about these people?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

e: nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Douglas Murray having an impressive moment of self awareness in the spectator.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-the-right-gets-wrong-about-putin