Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/feb/28/comparethemarket-meerkat-ads-tv-ukraine-russian-aleksandr-orlov

quote:

Comparethemarket pulls meerkat ads from TV news after Ukraine invasion
Site says fictional Russian billionaire Aleksandr Orlov has ‘no association with the current situation’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I bought 3 yellow-stickered from Waitrose (:guillotine:) on Sunday: feta/walnut/beetroot salad, quinoa (:guillotine:) salad, stuffed mushrooms.
All had use by dates of Sunday, but I had 2 on Sunday and 1 on Monday. Total cost: £3.13 Total normal cost: approx £8.50.

I don't by this kind of stuff full price because it's just not filling enough to warrant that amount of spend.
But it is nice to have something a bit different occasionally.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Can anyone point me towards any concrete examples of the EHRA definition of antisemitism being a big pile of poo poo used to suppress left wing free speech/criticism of Israel (apart from the obvious), ideally with sources, or criticism of it by Jewish groups, that sort of thing? Need it for a thing

I haven't read through this but might be a starting point:

https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/2018/07/first-ever-40-jewish-groups-worldwide-oppose-equating-antisemitism-with-criticism-of-israel/

If you're on facebook, these are a good follow and might have something you can use:

https://www.facebook.com/IJVcanada

(Note I'm not using Jewish Voice for Labour - not because they're not good but because so many people automatically dismiss them as a pro-Corbyn, 'wrong kind of Jew' group so your audience may already have a bad image of them.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 1, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mediaphage posted:

this is one of my favourite examples of us/uk english divergence; in the us, this is a toad in the hole

We always called those a 'Texas one eye'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

notaspy posted:

Please tag that nws and nms

What do those stand for again? I've forgotten.
I mean the letters not the biscuits and gravy with which photo I tease my American friends repeatedly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mediaphage posted:

why is your coleslaw chunky???

British coleslaw:

What does American coleslaw look like?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 2, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

I've gotta be honest I thought there would be some discussion about this.

Which rag was that from?
It's patently bollox. Not sure what more there is to say! Don't 'they' always try to smear strikers?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There's a novel where the USA accidentally nukes Moscow and the POTUS manages to stop the USSR launching a retaliation by nuking New York himself.

Novel: Failsafe by Burdick & Wheeler 1962

Film:
Failsafe 1964

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail_Safe_(1964_film)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

So, I just took the plunge and grabbed the "loyal customer" fixed price with Octopus.

£212 a loving month.

Thing is, the way I see it is that the further rises are going to be inevitable. There's now enough convenient excuses that can be made for the country to just begrudgingly accept it.

I've never been good at cutting through the bullshit for energy but that's still just an estimate anyway.

My actual usage for gas is gonna go way down over spring/summer/autumn, so if the price miraculously falls again I can make the 0 fee exit and stick with them at the lower price cap. Then I'll just have a load of credit on my account to eat through right?

Chuffin' eck. I'm on £68 a month with them fixed 2 years (literally a week before it all went pear shaped).
Based on annual use of approx 2300 'High' and 660 'low' p.a.

I'm all electric and live in a tiny flat. All my lights are low watt LED. So apart from the fridge/freezer, computers, fan (most nights), kettle 3-4 times a day, microwave 1-2 times a day, electric 1x pd, it's heating that gets me - normally if outside temp is under 3C. I've very limited scope for using the economy 7 as we use a small communal laundry rather than having our own washing machine / dryer (not that I've space for those!).
About the only thing I could do different is turn off all the things on standby overnight which I'm not convinced would save much. Guess I need to observe when I'm away for a few days so fridge is on 24/7 but standbys are all off. If I go away for a week or more, I clear out the freezer and absolutely everything is off. I'm not (at the moment!) prepared to cut back on heating because I don't overuse it and around 4pm in the afternoon when I'm normally very tired, I feel extremely cold.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The RMT is a union of contrasts. Being widely supportive of CND whilst their Barrow branch having a nuclear submarine on their banner, for instance.

I know someone with additional needs who is adamant they are going to Ukraine to volunteer, trying to dissuade them not just because of the obvious but because their issues really don't lend themselves to military discipline and following orders. I take it there won't be any screening people out on this when they enquire at the embassy? Their additonal needs mean when recently in trouble with the police they had to have an appropriate adult present for the interview, despite being in their 20's.

namesake posted:

Despite Truss saying it was A Okay to go join the Ukrainian militias it is not okay so if they start talking about it on the applications or border crossing then they might find themselves stopped.

That said I imagine the ukraines are happy to take literally anyone who can walk and carry a rifle and potentially eastern european border guards just looking the other way so theres a risk.

Haven't Ukraine specifically said only people with military experience should come?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

As a malcontent, it's always been a great comfort that I can kill myself at any time, but if Britain was invaded it would genuinely be an emotional roller coaster. I thrive in a crisis and love a bit of chaos. Or maybe running at an enemy tank wearing a saucepan on my head and waving a pointy stick is just an elaborate suicide plan with crap cosplay.

If conscription is re-introduced, we can form the Something Awful Kamikaze Company.

Improvised head protection from the Egyptian revolution:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Neighbours chat:

Russell Crowe also got going via that show.

It was my dad's favourite show for years. (No connection to Russell Crowe!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gambrinus posted:

Exactly the same in Aotearoa. Every New Zealand actor ever has been in Shortland Street.

And a lot of them in Xena Warrior Princess including Karl Urban and Bruce Campbell who I've seen in a few films in the past few years.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Spangly A posted:

I remember being given a lift home while he was talking to some churchy bloke about the problem of bats among the high ceilings. He asked why the bats couldn't live there, and was told that eventually the guano will cause serious structural issues in the ceiling. He asked why they couldn't be shooed, and was told that they don't really care what you do dozens of meters below where they nap. He asked why you couldn't throw them out, and was told that bats are not safe to handle without training and hazmat gear.

"Ok, but why not use a broom?"
"Well as you know lots of churches have high rooves"
"... Ok, but why not use a very long broom?"

There were a few seconds of silence and then my memory ends. I have thought about this exchange while high on acid. I have thought about it before being anaesthetised. I believe it will be my last thought as I die.

Dulce et decorum est pro fora scribi

Bats chat:
More to the point he better hope the bat conservation people don't get on to him and serve a conservation notice. else he'll be stuck with them causing ever more stench and structural problems! Had a problem like this in a former home of my folks. It was horrendous. They strangely disappeared one day after dad accidentally sprayed some stuff about. Can't think why.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

This isn't even what you were talking about but oh my God Flipz chocolate pretzels are orgasmically good. God only knows who actually makes them or where they came from. Space? Hell?

There were some white chocolate ones of those for a while, I'm sure it was Home Bargains I used to get them from. No more though :(

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 3, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I can recall a few spicy pro-Saddam takes from the time along the lines of "yes he's a tyrant but the Arab needs a strongman to stop them descending into barbarism" so I imagine all these journalists are just responding to things written by other journalists rather than engaging with the actual population.

I heard a lot of Egyptians saying that about themselves after the revolution as to why Mubarak / army / CC should be in charge. There's definitely a "we are bad people who need a strong man to control us to stop us being very bad" vibe there. I don't know where this notion comes from.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OMG the appalling Gavin Williamson has just been knighted!
Just shows how bad our so-called "honours" system is.
:shock: :probe: :riddle:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's the basic fascist urge - it's not that I, personally, need a strong government in nice clean uniforms to repress *me*, but something has to be done about those disrespectful youths and their haircuts, which are definitely the reason why I'm not as happy as I was 10 years ago.

I'm sorry to say many include themselves too not just others! I find it quite disturbing. I could understand it if it was just others (not that 'others' need the control, but the opinion is one found in gammon around the world).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gorn Myson posted:

Check Co-Op if you have one nearby. They're always in mine and they're always on sale. If I knew you better I'd be tempted to pilgrimage to mind one and send you a bunch.

Because of this thread I bought the Cookies and Cream ones today and they're so good I always almost tempted to let my dog have one to share the love (I gave her some cheese instead, she didn't complain).

There is a co-op locally (but a bit out of my way) so it might have been there that I bought them. Haven't been there since the covid lockdowns started!

^^^ well done OF!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Very few native Brits speak RP. I think London is basically Norf Lahndan, innit, Saaarf Lanan, Estuary.
If you watch BBC World, you will hear RP and that is how much of the world thinks British people speak. It's not like BBC in UK which has a myriad local accents on it.

I even dare to suggest that if you hear perfect RP being spoken, the speaker is not a native speaker.

I used to have discussions with Egyptians on the topic because they were all too keen to say Arabic wasn't like any other language because of all the dialects (as in someone from say Egypt might have difficulty understanding someone from Tunisia, and someone from Cairo might have trouble understanding villagers from Upper Egypt (down near Sudan).

So I wrote a paragraph of Norf Lahndan speak on a board, innit, and they're like "What language is that?" "That is English as spoken in North London" I said.
To add confusion, throw some Welsh in the mix :D Not many appreciate that Welsh is a distinct language not a dialect of English.

I should probably add that having lived in Wales for approx 12 of the first 18 years of my life and again for the last 6 years, I know about 3 words in Welsh. Though I have figured out that signs with words ending "-wch" are generally ordering you to do something (the 'imperative' though people keep telling me Welsh doesn't have those nominative, vocative, accusative etc etc type declensions. Though I can see patently that it does. Changing first letter C to first letter G when it has a thingy in front of it - don't ask me for technical term, I've forgotten all that stuff. eg Cymru becomes Croeso i Gymru (welcome to Wales).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 4, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

Hard to know your standards of perfection, but I think you are wrong about older people, anyway. This is me:
https://www.theriansaga.com/promotion/default.aspx?autoplay=true

Very nice :)

Is that also how you speak 'everyday', too? I have very rarely heard people speak like this in regular, daily discourse. (Lived and worked in London for 30 years).

You're a few years younger than me though IIRC, so don't count as older people ;)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Friends, I'm like 8 pages behind but I thought that you should all see this pin badge urgently:

Who is this for? Is there literally anybody that it wouldn't annoy? :psyduck:

Crystal Irish flag clutch pin.

https://www.butlerandwilson.co.uk/collections/trending/products/copy-of-art-deco-stork-brooch

Now, Butler & Wilson came up in the last few days for some reason. Was it on here?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1500056186560950276?s=19

I wonder why she doesn't consider Hamza British it is a mystery

It's deleted!

replacement tweet:

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1500112762642513924

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Always helpful to read "wasn't clear" as "people called me on my poo poo and I don't like it"

And all the replies pulling her up have disappeared as a result.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Seperate post, seperate issue: octopus have broken the cartel and are offering £50 below cap prices.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/octopus-energy-is-first-supplier-to-announce-customers-will-pay-50-below-the-price-cap-1497895

Apparently if you can find someone who's already on octopus, you can get a referral code that gives both of you a £50 credit.

I've got a code - PM me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

I’ll take an octopus code - I’ve moved into a new place and have been given a ‘deemed contract’ with loving bulb? Who are bust!

PM me if you still need!

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm on Octopus but can't find a referral code - do you not get one if you're on a fixed tariff?

If you go to your dashboard and scroll down, it says "refer your friends" and then there's a link with some random words eg big-blue-elephant (I made that up, it's not mine!).
Only word of caution, it does doxx your real first name (but not your surname).

I'm on a fixed tariff. I guess if you can't find one, maybe you've been on the tariff longer than they've had the referral thing? I fixed mine in October.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 5, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Our flats common areas are on a fixed tariff with SSE that runs out in July. Just been looking at what the offers are and looks like it will be going up a minimum of £200 per month (divided by 19 flats mostly occupied by people in their 80s) based on NOW, let alone July!

It counts as 'business supply' so not protected by any caps :(

Ed: the storage heaters in our corridors are about 30 years old now and could do with replacing. This will obviously be quite expensive up front. Anyone got any experience of doing that? Whether with new storage heaters or electric radiators (we're all electric in our block). I think we've got about 8 or 9 without me running round and counting.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 5, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apropos nothing: if I have a double-socket sized backbox in my kitchen, am I able to infer the existence of wiring behind it so I can call the electrician and get him to fit a double socket in there without too much problem (ie not needing him to hack off the tiling and thread wires through the ceiling or wherever)?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It looks exactly like this when I took the blank (ie no socket holes) white plastic rectangle face off.

There is wiring in the vicinity that goes behind the tiles to the cooker socket and up to the extractor fan so it's not entirely random.
There's wiring for the switch for the fan - the switch is about 10cm higher and 30cm 'round the corner' (there's a sort of sticking out corner which is hollow behind I think) from it.

VVV just wondering why they would have put a blank box there if it's not usable. I think the flat post dates requirement for isolators because there is a switch under the counter the other side for an under the counter device but no above the counter isolator.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 5, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thanks for your electrical inputs :)
I guess I need to call the sparks and ask him come round and tell me what he thinks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

I have a pet theory that 90% of the "culture war" grifters have Russian money involved, either backing them or amplifying them.

I don't think that the whole thing is a psyop but I do think that pouring gasoline on the division it sows and the horrible politics that ensues is a no brainer investment for the kremlin.

Has anyone ever pulled this thread? Any books or anything that have dug in?

Not read the article, but found this:

https://thesecuritydistillery.org/all-articles/culture-wars-how-the-kremlin-securitizes-youth-culture

Ok - just skimmed it and seems to be about Russian youth culture not western culture wars.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

British exceptionalism at its finest:

The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe.[9]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They only stopped the AM and shortwave World Service in like 2011, moving it all to the internet despite everyone pointing out the *extremely* large problem with that when dealing with totalitarian states.

Case in point: Egypt 27th January 2011 (revolution officially started 25th Jan)

Apart from a few government connections and the Egyptian bourse, it was like that for almost a week.

I remember that evening, we were chasing proxies and they gradually closed down the proxies, then they simply took out the DNS tables, so if you had a dial-up (non-dial-up phone services were knocked on the head too) and knew the IP numbers of sites which were helpfully being broadcast on the tv, you could just about get through. Just enough to stick a message on facebook then that was it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 6, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jabby posted:

So this might have been covered, but I was 'affected' by that big data breach of Labour's a while back.

I'm no longer a memeber, but I see theres a law firm trying to put together a class-action against them.

Obviously I don't really care much and I'm wary about giving my details to shady lawyers, but has anyone else heard anything about this?

Have a look in 'the other place' on CSPAM. There's a link to the form. Check out Jose's posts.
I decided to abandon mine after reading the legal agreement in full despite the law firm's reassurances which were along the lines of "we have to write it like that but don't worry it doesn't mean that".

Ed: found the link for you:

https://kellerlenkner-databreach.co.uk/labour-party/

Ed2: you need to still have the email (or a pdf or word version of it) you were sent else they can't proceed with your claim.

ed3: email dated 3/11/21 from privacy@labour.org.uk

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 7, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the thing on social media about booking AirBnBs in Ukraine? Some of my relatives refuse to donate money to charities and are increasingly frustrated that nobody is willing to drive blankets and bags of rice 1500 miles. They might be on board with donating via booking a 'holiday' in a house that probably doesn't exist any more.

A lot of people on my FB are sharing it. Apparently AirBnB have also dropped any of their charges relating to the books.

People also recommending check it is an individual not a company hosting.

https://twitter.com/AirbnbHelp/status/1499780965316575235

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

All admin staff who work for charities are paid £150k a year *and* siphoning off donations.

As an admin person for a charity I can safely say that I don't even earn enough to pay tax. The TOTAL salary budget for this year for our charity is under £50k - that is 4 employees on part-time hours including the CEO. Well over 70% of our donations go out to our projects overseas (and very little of that is on salaries for our project partners - their salaries tend to be under £100 per month in sterling).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 7, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lungboy posted:

I've no idea if that group case will get off the ground or not but that company are massively indebt and set off alarm bells.

Have you a link about that?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hm yes. Nearly £7m.
Two charges registered and I've skimmed and can't find how much for. Not going to read all that to find the big numbers!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

:cry: :cry: :cry:

torygraph/business/2022/03/07/britains-private-schools-face-funding-shortfall-sanctions-wealthy

quote:

Britain’s private schools face funding shortfall as sanctions on wealthy Russians tighten
Institutions have been told they cannot accept fees or donations from clients on sanctions lists, or from banks subject to an asset freeze

(paywall or free for a month)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

Very laudable, Jaeluni. And then there's the Captain Tom Foundation.

Yes I know. I would hope that many more charities are like the one I work for and not the big-salaried or rip-off merchant charities.

This is the top 50 (the rest of the top 100 are on a different image).

source: https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2021-biggest-earners/management/article/1713966

So out of 166k charities in the UK (source: https://howcharitieswork.com/about-charities/how-many-charities/)

So there are about 166000 charities in the UKand the top 100 have highest pay £150k + so approx 99.9% have a top salary of less than £150k.

I'm not shilling for charities here (yes I am LOL) and I know there are different types of issues with charities as there are with any organisations but it's not really fair to categorize them all on the basis of the misdeeds of a tiny %.

Charity Salaries
"The average Charity salary is £27,987. Working in Charity you can earn between £20,020 and £41,581". (source: https://www.checkasalary.co.uk/salaries/charity)

I'm assuming that's full time.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

guaranteed that anyone sharing that meme is also 100% against the social care tax

And probably post memes about 'looking after our own' to be swiftly followed by memes about people on benefits being lazy scroungers with 55" plasma screen tellies. Unlike themselves who were in the trenches and on the beaches through two world wars despite being only 45 years old and too scared to wear a facemask for 5 minutes in a shop.