Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Cookie Cutter posted:

It's such a deliberate abstraction of language as well, to distance from the fact it's an act of war. A "No Fly Zone" sounds like we'd just put a few signs up about the place to quieten everyone down.

It's only war if you shoot a plane down. Until then it's just war chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

If the food can be sold to people at that price, why do they have to wait til it has a short date to have it?

Its often sold at a loss. The loss being less than throwing it though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Biggus Dickus posted:

Is that for both G&E? Octopus were pretty upfront about not being best for gas and I found SO Energy were better for me.

Too late for you, maybe, but Martin Lewis did a quick YT on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Uq3jbIGHg

Basically, don't fix unless it's within certain percentages of the projected rises on the rate cap.

This is why I've actually stayed with octopus. As far as energy companies go they make an attempt to be honest and they invest in green energy heavily. They also do a nice carbon offset tier (which yes I know carbon offsets are questionable but it goes directly to a charity that helps bring energy to developing countries)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sanctions aren't totally useless. But they have a "success" rate of only about 40%. And even then most of that data is from countries far less rich and powerful than Russia.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The D&D one or the C-Spam one? The latter is pretty funny if you read all the posts with a Russian accent.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

The dnd thread is awful, you honestly get more level headed and informative posting in the Cspam equivalent.

Well lots of Putin apologists in there so makes sense you would think that.

(the main dnd thread is also garbage but in a different way)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Rustybear posted:

The Nuclear annihilation of your entire family, friends and pets: 52% / 48%

are you implying sanctions would lead to Nuclear war?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Civilians with AK47s and molotov cocktails and no training are, in fact, doomed against an actual army, I'm afraid

I think they know this, the plan seems to be to make it as painful enough that Russia back off and it worked for the Fins (until Russia regrouped and tried a second time...)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I wouldn't fight for the UK per-se but I would fight to keep the Russians out. The UK can treat LGBT+ folk pretty poorly (especially the T) but we would suffer far greater under the Russian regime. And that's worth fighting against for me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

What would be a satisfactory apology? He accepts responsibility and says he had no excuse.

What more could he offer?

You don't have accept his apology but this false pretence of "oh if he had done the right apology id forgive him" is fake.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 3, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

My parents still have a faint Welsh accent but when they get on the phone to a relative you can almost plot the (time on call / accent strength) on a chart.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Do Londoners even have RP? Isn't it more a home counties thing?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

More people should become Scottish. What else are you gonna be? Welsh? That's no even a real thing.

Depression and self loathing are very real my friend.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

If you think that's weird consider that weird thing we all do where we pull in our lips and give a wee nod to say hello without saying the words.

It's a polite "I am acknowledging you but not engaging in conversation"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm just gonna post mine here.

https://share.octopus.energy/rust-hawk-266

Just don't doxx me or I will need to give up my crime fighting ways.

I'm genuinely curious how many energy companies will survive this, its been really good to have competition and I'd rather not go back to just the big 6.
(A nationalised energy company would be the best but I've given up hope I will ever see that)

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 5, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's currently under government administration. I'm kinda surprised you can still join it. But yes, not advised.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the same reason everyone started spelling it kyiv, because that's probably closer to the correct pronunciation and suddenly everyone is very keen to be performatively supportive about things they didn't give a poo poo about last month.

I don't see anyone tripping over themselves to start calling Bangkok 'Krung Thep Maha Nakhon'

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Overminty posted:

Cmon you gotta at least go whole hog if you're gonna do that.

Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit.

Only the posh Thai call it that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

A match made in heaven hell.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

I just don't buy it, same as the theory that UK terfery is driven by US evangelical cash. Sure maybe there is some funding but fundamentally (lol) it's just that this island is full of bigoted busybodies with their noses in everyone else's poo poo.

Don't surveys show the average UK citizen doesn't hold views that are any more hostile to trans people than Americans or mainland Europeans? So what else could explain our presses obsession with what's between peoples legs?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

Do you think there are many actual leftists who do that?

Plenty in C-Spam

Edit oops snipe

Here's my dog enjoying the morning sun as atonement.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 17, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

This isn't true.

What isn't true? propagandist puppets pretending to be left? Or leftist blaming the whole thing on Nato and the west?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

No, what's not true is D&D's weird obsession with CSPAM being "pro-Russian" for not being insane liberal interventionists.

CSPAM has some good people and some really good threads but it definitely does have some posters who will trip over themselves to make everything the fault of the west, and they don't get called out enough for it. Just as D&D has some 'insane liberal interventionists' who also don't get called out enough.

Cookie Cutter posted:

I get what you're saying. For me it's the "unprovoked" interpretation that I take issue with mainly, especially in light of things like, internal memos from the US side saying "if we keep doing this thing it will pressure an invasion of Ukraine", Putin saying for many years the same thing, 8 years of the west taking a blind eye to civilian killings by the Ukrainian side in the seperatist regions, etc. Like how do you think the US would act if there was a militia on the Mexican border shelling American civilians for 8 years? There's a lot there to add nuance to one's interpretation, and to add another voice in opposition to the "Putin is mad/Hitler" crowd, which I don't think is a helpful view of the situation in any way.

Well in your example the Mexicans are shelling a part of Mexico by all international laws and those citizens are only Mexican American citizens now because America has funded and armed them and then granted them that right in an attempt to take that area for themselves. So I think America would still be the bad guy in that scenario?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Dabir posted:

I don't get it, who is that?

No one, people are making fun of the fact that it seems Starmer has a coldsore in the picture, which while yes it's caused by a strain of the herpes virus, is also something almost 4 billion people in the world have and something I think is incredibly dumb to make fun of someone for.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ash Crimson posted:

coincidently do you have the herp

gently caress off.

My partners sister gets coldsores and everytime they appear she locks herself away for two weeks until it goes away. They often come about when she's going through a period of great stress or depression, so societies frankly childish reaction to a very common ailment doesn't help her mental health.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 19, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Churchill was a piece of poo poo but he did serve in the military and did see combat. So trying to put him across as hiding from the war is a bit odd.

He even got stuck in himself putting down the locals in India.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Both the UK and the EU will decide to scrap day light saving changes I think. But in typical Brexit fashion, we will keep GMT while they go with summer time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Greenwich Meridian is also Universal Coordinate Time so stick with that to make my mental calculations simpler thanks bye

This is why I think we will be dumb and keep GMT(and thus UCT) , and not switch to summer time like everyone else. It's a very British thing to pretend we are still the centre of the world.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

TACD posted:

if you happen to need another Python toucher I’ve just been told there’s no money to pay me at my current place past April

Update your LinkedIn. I get constant messages for python jobs despite it not even being listed as language I code.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

TACD posted:

That’s kind of reassuring, I had no idea if there was any professional need for Python devs outside of the niche science robotics thing I’ve been in so far

Guess I’ll go set up a LinkedIn (gross)

Yeah LinkedIn sucks, but it's the best way to job hunt as a computer toucher. Set your profile to looking for work and just wait for the recruiter messages to come in, it's a sellers market right now.

If you haven't job searched in a while here are some tips.

- Always ask the salary range in the first reply, if they don't give it or reply with "competitive" they are below market, move on.

- Don't tell them what you are earning now, ever. They will ask, politely tell them you'd prefer not to say, don't even tell them what you want. Your just putting an upper cap on your potential salary.

- Be prepared to study. It's silly but loads of places filter out people using services like leet code. Go over basic terms and acronyms too.

- Have a personal project ready to show off, it can get you out of coding exercises, remember the they just want proof you can do what you claim.

- if you can, take your time, it can be draining. When I first started I was trying to squeeze out 4 take homes a weekend while also studying. So I took a break and came back and limited myself to talking to no more than 2/3 people at a time and refused any take home that was more than 2 hours. Yes it took longer but was much less stressful.

- if you are bad at interviews, maybe go along with some even if you plan on not taking the job, I always do this to shrug off the interviewing cobwebs, and its less nerve racking when I don't actually want the job. It will make you more prepared for the interview you do want to nail.

- remember, rejection doesn't mean you are bad, just someone else was more suited (or hell, they just know someone at the company).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

peanut- posted:

The “don’t tell them what you earn now” thing doesn’t really work in the UK. Maybe if you’re dealing directly with the company you could manage it, but external recruiters just won’t progress your application if you don’t give them a number for your current compensation.

Of course that means you just tell them a number that’s a chunk higher than the real one.

I don't know about other areas but for programmers it definitely works. I've always done it and everyone I know in the industry personally also does it.

The pitching way higher than you currently earn as previously mentioned can also work if you don't mind fibbing.

The Perfect Element posted:

It's so dumb though, just a stupid game where either you understand and exploit the rules, or where you fail to understand the game and never get decent money.

Yeah the whole thing is a farce, both sides know it but for whatever reason no one will change it. Not putting salary range in the basic info for example, it's only done that way so the currently underpaid staff don't realise how underpaid they are.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 26, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I personally loved Edinburgh architecture...

OwlFancier posted:

Edinburgh is the largest population center I have ever been to.

OK this makes more sense now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Hey thread,

Does anyone have any experience dealing with a noise complaint?

Both me and my neighbour have been visited by the council, me today, and her a couple months ago, in relation to dogs barking.

When the council staff came to my door they advised that recordings had been made.

They didn't tell me when the actual noises were made, or when the infraction actually occurred.

They recommended getting anti bark collars for the dogs... I don't believe that's necessary as they don't excessively bark.

Me and my neighbour are confused as if there is another report, we wouldn't know who it was directed at. We both agree that neither of our pets bother each of us (and we live in semi-detached homes) and as a PTSD sufferer I'm up very easily in the night if there is a disturbance.

It could also be the case where they thought it was next door, when it might have been my dogs.

One of my dogs is elderly and for a few nights was crying cos she was in pain. But I wouldn't have let her cry on, I'd get up to check on her.

Otherwise I wouldn't be the type to leave them barking as I generally don't want any bother!

At this point all the council has done has advised me of the complaint, but also advised if it gets raised again I could be fined or have the dogs taken away. This cannot happen.

Any guidance or advice?

Any chance the dogs are barking while you are out?
There are various training techniques you can do to reduce barking (there are lots of videos about this on youtube), but if its when you are out of the house its difficult to stop completely. One thing I have heard that can work is for the neighbours to use a dog whistle whenever they start barking (once you have trained them to stop when they hear the whistle), sometimes even without the training the confusion of hearing the whistle but now knowing where it came from can stop the barking.

As for taking your dogs off you, that's more a threat to try and get you to take the complaint seriously, its pretty unlikely to happen unless you had an excessive amount of dogs. Fines however are a real possibility. If you go the training route it might be worth recording your sessions, so you can demonstrate to the council (or a court) that you are attempting to fix the issue, but might just need a little more time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Nice username/post combo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Rabelais D posted:

Male pattern baldness is another form of alopecia, but it's OK for, say, Gervais to say that Karl Pilkington "has a head like a loving orange" every chance he gets, but it's not OK for Chris Rock to suggest Jada Plinkett Smith get a role in fictional movie GI Jane 2.

Edit: I'm mainly pointing this out because I recently saw the "learn English with Ricky Gervais" video on YouTube, and while I think Gervais is painfully unfunny, he goes on at length about Karl's baldness making him resemble a hairless testicle etc., and it's all seen as good fun even though Karl seems to hate it. Ricky definitely deserves a slap too

Ive seen a few people with this take and its not great. alopecia just means hair loss. So yes, Jada Pinkett Smith and Karl Pilkington both have 'alopecia' but his is due to genes and natural hormone changes as he ages. She has alopecia areata, its an auto-immune disease, with no cure, you can't rich-people hair plug your way out of it.
It also can come and go, so your hair can start coming back and then suddenly out it falls again, and as it falls out in patches an incredibly close shave is the only way to hide it.

Then on top of that she's a black women, her experience is nothing like Karl Pinklingtons.

My (soon to be) father in law has it, when I first met him I thought he was going through chemo as he had no hair at all. No eyebrows, no arm hair, nothing.
We laugh at it now but when my other half did a charity cancer run we all went along to cheer her on, people kept giving her dad sad smile thumbs up, it was very awkward.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

All this cover talk and no one brought up the greatest cover of all time?

https://youtu.be/9fNkYYxvk-Q

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

No, despite what the twitter bots tell you, no one gives a poo poo about NFTs.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I do really like his vids, but have never been tempted to post them here before because a) not much actual UK content and b) he *is* the most middle class liberal on the entire planet not currently employed as a columnist, and I assumed that there'd be a bit of friction.

What makes him a middle class liberal besides his accent?

Ive never seen this channel before btw and so far its excellent, similar in content to Tom Scott. Short and to the point and actually interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

He seems to often mention the best way to visit a place if you have a disability, which is very nice and something I see very few other 'tourist' channels ever mention.