Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't believe it's march
I refuse to believe it's 2022, it's still 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Awaken crispix, we need to know Mrs Egregore's opinion on this.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the eggerton window

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What the hell is in American gravy anyway? Specifically the stuff they dump on scones.

At least it's not a loving jus, anyone offering me that can do one.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mediaphage posted:

but specifically the sausage gravy is just: fry up loose sausage in a skillet (most american breakfast sausage is a patty or loose sausage, and not the link style), when the fat is rendered out, toss in a few tablespoons of flour, make the roux in the sausage fat, and then stir in milk to add the liquid instead of using a broth.
Fair do's, that sounds amazing. Heart attack inducing, but amazing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

What the christ? I'm on the standard variable rate with British Gas and my Electricity and Gas combined for this past quarter was £140. :psyduck:

e: Very worried as to what next quarter's bill might be. D:
I'm wondering what the overlap is between posters with astronomical utility bills, and posters who's landlords make them open the windows during winter instead of fixing the damp.

If only there was a circles-based diagram type that could help us! Ah well.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

On the Azov lot, one thing that had always confused me about fash is their willingness to co-operate with international fash. Surely by definition they would all despise one another, as every nationality obviously thinks they're the ubermensch?
They're honestly not bright enough to see the hypocrisy in an international alliance to fight the threat of globalism.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mediaphage posted:

lol sort of a pisspoor apology imo. like, i don't think people should necessarily be cancelled over one fuckup (depending on the fuckup) but i think it takes a special kind of superprick to say what he said in the first place. i mean, that's the nature of things? come the gently caress on
I think the point is that if it is a genuine fuckup in an otherwise good career, they own the fuckup and move on, then you should accept the apology.

If it's Jeremy Vine, who is generally a small minded man with nasty opinions, his apology is meaningless because he's going to continue to be a twat.

An apology is only an apology if the person genuinely realises what they did wrong and isn't going to do it again. It's not a set of magic words you screenshot in your notes app that stops people being mean on twitter.

Spangly A posted:

I remember being given a lift home while he was talking to some churchy bloke about the problem of bats among the high ceilings. He asked why the bats couldn't live there, and was told that eventually the guano will cause serious structural issues in the ceiling. He asked why they couldn't be shooed, and was told that they don't really care what you do dozens of meters below where they nap. He asked why you couldn't throw them out, and was told that bats are not safe to handle without training and hazmat gear.

"Ok, but why not use a broom?"
"Well as you know lots of churches have high rooves"
"... Ok, but why not use a very long broom?"
Everyone in the British media is Alan Partridge.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

If a non-native speaker lives for years of their life in London and speaks English with an almost perfect RP accent. Is that weird to people, because I suspect not?
It's also worth mentioning that he moved here from America, didn't he? So afaik he's hardly a 'non-native' speaker in that he already spoke English. And with the US' international reputation it would make sense he'd drop the accent the second he hit the runway.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't, but all this talk about coohoolin specifically is getting real weird.
Absplutely. He came across as likeable on the pod, his posts were always interesting because he knows a lot about scotpol, but the second he posted anything in reply to other people talking about scottish issues, the same 3 or 4 people would appear out of nowhere and start getting weird about him. I don't blame him for not posting much.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

More people should become Scottish. What else are you gonna be? Welsh? That's no even a real thing.
I have to admit, I loving love the welsh accent, it's great and I get a kick every time I hear it. There should be more welsh accents in things.

I kind of wish the LOTR linguists had stuck to their guns and got peter jackson to leave the elves with welsh accents, you can sort of hear it in the first bit with Elrond and Isildur.

Failed Imagineer posted:

:(

Actually, I speak with an SA accent - I constantly ask people if they have stairs in their house and call them "OP"
If I had to imagine there being an SA accent it woulf be Frink from the Simpsons.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

E: wrong thread bob

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My deeply decent person avatar is raising questions etc

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The bitmoji avatar wearing 'deal with it' sunglasses has very strong Riley's Theorem vibes: Someone condescendingly reading to you from a book they're holding upside down.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Seperate post, seperate issue: octopus have broken the cartel and are offering £50 below cap prices.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/octopus-energy-is-first-supplier-to-announce-customers-will-pay-50-below-the-price-cap-1497895

Apparently if you can find someone who's already on octopus, you can get a referral code that gives both of you a £50 credit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was told if you have a contract with a bust supplier like bulb you can't switch?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Continuity Of Twiddly Bits.
GRRM running out of good names.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Disappointing lack of a flared base.

E: 20 is the amount of aeons my soul will be flayed for this shameful snipe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think it's more likely that the dipshits started doing it off their own backs, and then russia / right wing thinktanks / kochs / whoever noticed them and realised that funding these dipshits could pay off. And now you have a 2nd tier of dipshits who are copying the 1st tier purely to get their hands on the funding.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Most of the UK anti-trans stuff is funded by US fundies isn't it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisTheHills/status/1500229638097936390

I wonder if she's got a new film coming out or something.
Proving Nate Bethea right again, british media loves to invent a person and get mad at the things the person they invented would say. It's like a straw man except hyperaccelerated and aggrandised to the point that it becomes Nicholas Cage's version of the Wicker Man.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I was under the impression - and this is obviously third-hand information - the specific issue was that the original English-language name was actually based on and/or more similar to the Russian-language name than the Ukrainian one. Which isn't ideal.

Like maybe it is self-congratulatory navel-gazing but it's not like changing it is very onerous so
Trashfuture's Milo was explaining it in the new episode. Ukrainian has two different I vowels, and the kee-ev pronunciation is better expressed by the ie dipthong in Kiev, which is how the Russians used to Anglicise it.

However the Ukranians started latinising it as Kyiv on their maps, which ironically has meant that we're all now pronouncing it completely wrong.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just come across this app:

https://toogoodtogo.co.uk/en-gb

Find your location (you can say within however many km) and see what shops are giving 'magic bags' of unsold edibles away (with a time they're doing them and apparently you can reserve them too). Greggs is one of our locals - £2.59 bags.
Amazing that the food is suddenly safe for people to eat now they can charge people for it, whereas they previously 'had' to tip bleach on it to stop the homeless getting a free meal.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

I could barely afford to keep my flat warm this winter, and that's WITH the £140 discount, and before the price hikes next month.
I am constantly amazed at how many benefits / schemes / funds there are that you have to apply for seperately, nobody tells you about, and you only ever hear about when they get cut off.

Worse, I have at least one friend who got a demand for 2 grand from the DWP last year, because they put her on ESA and she should have been claiming PIP. So instead of doing the human thing of going 'fair enough, you should have been on this and you were getting this, so we'll work out the difference,' they have instead decided to essentially zero income her for that period, start her PiP claim from now, and ask her to repay the ESA knowing full well that her PiP claim won't come through for another 6 months, if at all (her disability is one of the more complex ones that they'll likely refuse).

Hell my claim has taken about 6 months just to get to the appeal stage. If we didn't have partners who work, we'd be dead.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

As was frequently pointed out since pre-Brexit vote and subsequently, turning the UK into an isolated little island with few trading partners makes it exponentially more reliant on trade partners, which leads to a lot of kowtowing to autocrats. Plus the natural Tory admiration for autocratic regimes, and the opportunities for mutual profiteering.
I mean there was also the fact that one of their main ideas for a brexit sunlit uplands was the formation of freeports, which would basically allow the absolutely unrestricted flow of illegal cash through british ports.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

MSU study on narcissism concludes that while people tend to become less narcissistic as they get older, boomers had far more relative sensitivity, and millennials appear to be losing narcissistic traits much faster.

quote:

Chopik found that the fastest-changing age group was young adults. He also found that, contrary to popular belief, changes in the levels of narcissism are lifelong and changes don't stop at any certain age or stage in life.

"One of the most surprising findings was that -- also contrary to what many people think -- individuals who were born earlier in the century started off with higher levels of hyper-sensitivity, or the type of narcissism where people are full of themselves, as well as willfulness, which is the tendency to impose opinions on others," Chopik said. "There isn't much data on older generations, but now that Baby Boomers are aging into that phase of life, it's a huge part of the population that we need to be looking at."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You can have a person who intended to weaken western democracies and then found financial support to achieve that, and you can have people who just wanted some quick cash and were willing to take it from people who's goal was the weakening of western democracies, and at this point the material difference between the two is the sum of gently caress all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

I mean, needing a general for a dick inspection because a local just won't do is at least an A-tier humblebrag
I insist on no less than a field marshall.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, contrary to the view of the overoptimistic types of the 60s, there's probably no simple chemical that can make a nazi not a nazi
Napalm is pretty effective.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's sort of like how you can call china murderers, or russians corrupt, but you have to be very careful about making any blanket statements about Israel.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress that, "not my beat" is a garbage excuse for ignoring the rampant misogyny & racism of Gudio until it impacted her personally. She's a typical liberal who only gives a gently caress about anything that directly impacts her. Leaving the EU? Raaaaargh mad. Folk being sanctioned by the DWP & literally starving to death, not figuratively but literally dying because the state found some minor fault and punished them for it? Not my beat.
See also columnists who complain about having to know about politics, want to go back to when they didn't have to pay attention (and therefore by implication used to know gently caress all about politics), and yet felt the need to pump out 1500 words a week about why jemery crombles was the worst hitler since arthur scargill, the last person who made them have to read about politics.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like Cadwalladr is someone I've seen come up many times with bad, hot takes, or maybe I'm confusing her with another dipshit with the initials CC.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I would bomb a tail docker

I am pro tail
Anyone touches my dog's tail I swear I'll do time.

Wait, wrong thread.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fully anticipating a bunch of incidents today against GRT camps because of last night's ITV documentary on the death of PC Harper.

They didn't linger too much on the fact that the killers were travellers, but displayed a basic legal illiteracy (constantly treating it as if manslaughter is a lesser crime without explaining the technicalities and saying they 'got away with' murder) and constantly dwelling on how the kids who did it had 'low IQ' (like that explains anything), had a history of trouble in the education system, and no remorse over what happened. They also helpfully pointed out which camp they were from and that the other residents closed ranks and refused to cooperate with the police raid.

It didn't feel like as much of a call to violence as I was expecting, but I fully expect the usual headbangers to be using it as justification for their bullshit. Priti Patel managed to get herself in there twice, and I'm surprised she managed to restrain her satanic hatred enough to hold back from ranting directly to camera about wiping 'them' out.

The main spin of the documentary was about Harper's Law, which calls for a mandatory life sentence for anyone killing an emergency service worker while they're working. Which hilariously wouldn't even apply to Harper as the doc revealed they were in an unmarked car half an hour after they should have clocked off.

It also sets a weird precedent if someone is ruled to have accidentally caused the death of an ES worker and gets life for it. And as the linked Grauniad piece rightly (for once) points out, it asks absolutely no questions about the political agenda behind the Police, Crime & Sentencing Bill that Patel is trying to include it in.

I haven't watched ITV in years but gently caress me was that a mawkish 5 minutes of hate disguised as journalism. They even reanimated Sir Trevor McDonald to wander round looking at things and going 'gosh, isn't that shocking thing incredibly shocking.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Maugrim posted:

My question (actually a cluster of related questions) is what affects the quality of the sound? Does making a WhatsApp voice call use a different protocol from just a standard mobile voice call, and is one likely to be better than the other? Also if you phone a mobile from a landline, how does that even work mechanically? Is landline-to-landline (within the same country) generally better/worse than mobile for quality?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2A8q3XIhu0

As always, Tom Scott got ya back.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

The west, for instance, is not responsible for homosexuality in Iran being punishable by death.
I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it but there is a very strong argument that christian missionaries and the British Empire are incredibly responsible for instilling homophobia in numerous countries that were previously fine with it.

I'm pretty sure it was in James Felton's '52 Times Britain was a Bellend,' I'll go check.

E: yep, here you go:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 16, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

True specifically for Iran, yes, but it does speak to the broader point of British attitudes to foreign morality being a bit like the Trainspotting scene with Begbie throwing the glass.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nope, wrong thread again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just doing the maths on my utility bills from next month. Jan 2020 monthly cost ~£55, current is ~£80, next month it will be ~£120. I can afford to swallow that but I wonder how many people just don't realise how much they're going to be hit...
Right now the only people who've noticed are people who check their bills regularly and people who check the news, which is a huge minority. Most people just let their bills autopilot on direct debit, so it won't be until power companies either manually raise people's direct debits or start sending out letters saying how much people owe and demanding they turn up their monthly payments that I think people will start to realise how much bills are going up.

According to bulb, my monthly minimum has gone from £40 to £113, but they always do this after winter because they have the memory of a loving goldfish and forget how much credit we build up over the summer.

E: Actually it occurs to me that a lot of people will only notice when they get to autumn and suddenly notice they've built up zero credit over the summer. Until then it'll be mostly poor people on key meters who are affected and as always, nobody'll notice until the middle class is affected.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Guys, I just can't follow this Russia/ Ukraine argument. Could you reframe it as a Star Wars or Harry Potter analogy?
Have you heard the tradgedy of Darth Jeremy the wise?

I feel like we could reframe it as an Israel / Palestine analogy and get some absolutely blistering takes at this point.

We will be making a 14 word statement on securing a future for white ferries.