Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Saturday evening in Tesco is prime opportunity for marked down bagels and crumpets, 20p a pack, fill your freezer drawers my dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Didn't Turkey shoot down a Russian jet a years ago and absolutely nothing came of it. It had maybe strayed into their airspace from Syria.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Nato can have a little war as a treat?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
NATO is almost certainly not getting involved in this war / invasion / special military operation. It is not simply not going to happen. There will be lots of strong rhetoric from NATO/EU countries but when it comes down to it, Ukraine is not an officially recognised ally, and Russia is not officially at war. It's a pretty brutal political reality, and it sucks so much for the people in Ukraine.

The best case (and absolutely awful) scenario is that this conflict just drags on as a meatgrinder for the Russians for months/years, until internal opposition forces a change in leadership at the Kremlin. At which point they can declare.... mission accomplished I guess, and withdraw leaving a heap of rubble and hopefully as much of the Ukrainian state intact as the Ukrainians were able to keep hold of.

And then... maybe Putin, and some lower ranking Generals go to ICC (providing that he's alive), and Russia makes some vague apology and pays some rebuilding reparations in about 50 years time.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 2, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Borrovan posted:

What was that declaration of war about then?

They didn't make a declaration of war, they announced a special military operation in self-defence, against a rogue state that they believe to be carrying our genocide against ethnically Russian citizens while also carrying out a hostile military buildup on their borders. As far as international law goes the language used matters even if it's total bollocks.

Though they did spoil all the careful diplomatic chat with all the numerous and publicly viewable warcrimes so go figure.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 2, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol can you seriously make something 'not a war' by calling it something else? Hi, yes, I'm sending troops into your borders uninvited and shelling your cities and shooting your citizens, but we're definitely not at war, dumbass.

If you have enough ICBMs and a permanent security council seat you can say anything is anything you want.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I know nothing about Russian internal politics, but is there a possibility that harsh economic sanctions could spark internal conflict. Like the Balkans war(s), except this time bigger and with the power of the atom harnessed.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 2, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This film is dedicated to the brave fighters of the Azov Battalion.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Naah. Sanctions never work - they impoverish ordinary people in the countries that they're targeted at but do little or nothing to destabilize regimes or encourage internal rebellion. Places like North Korea and Iran have been sanctioned for decades to no discernable effect; conversely, I can't think of a single situation where sanctions actually achieved their aim of changing a country's behaviour.

Basically, if you're too stubborn to negotiate but don't fancy actually starting a war, sanctions are the perfect middle option, the 'being seen to be doing something' of international relations. (Naturally, our declining neoliberal western regimes loving love them.)

In general I agree but..

Russia is a big landmass, comprised of many semi autonomous substates. I guess what I was wondering was that by turning of the money, do these regions start thinking seditious thoughts. Like maybe that's just fantasy talk but how invested in the Russian national identity are they? (probably a lot because I imagine the Soviet Union kept a firm hand on that sort of thinking).

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 2, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What is a 'no fly zone' if not a massive 'cool zone'.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I would not lift a finger to save the UK but if the day ever comes I will take up arms against perfidious Albion.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
:v:

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1499107484237193218

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Denazification in action.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Today I learned Margot Robbie did over 300 episodes of Neighbours and she's like the most famous actress right now.

So good for her.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I've just found an insanely detailed Neighbours website with full scene by scene episode guide for every season, and surpsingly active fan forum. So that's how I will be skiving from work today.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gambrinus posted:

You can't leave us hanging! Share the link.

I fancied Annaliese like mad when I was about 15. No idea what happend to her after Neighbours.

Enjoy yourself

http://www.neighboursepisodes.com/

Still can't believe the problematic age gap marriage between Annalise and Lou.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pretty sure Brookside ended with a siege of armed robbers holed up in the close climaxing in a helicopter crash.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Speaking of idiot cunts saying horrible poo poo, has it been confirmed yet if GB News is a Russian psyop?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lockerbie was the CIA :tinfoil:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe once Russia have finished rebuilding the Warsaw pact they can have another crack at Afghanistan, we can send the tribal warlords more RPGs and the circle will be complete.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Exciting developments in Scotlab

https://twitter.com/chrisdeerin/status/1499448001047273477

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Coohoolin is a good lad who means well.

Also being weirded out by his accent is extremely problematic and suss.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If a non-native speaker lives for years of their life in London and speaks English with an almost perfect RP accent. Is that weird to people, because I suspect not?

Also unless I'm mistaken he lives in a Doric speaking community, so kudos for native level learning a dialect that is unintelligible to most Scots even.

Edit : plus yes he probably did practice a lot, because you know what, that's how you get good at things.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 4, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
*loads UKMT.xlsx

Yes he appears in a number of the early more ropey episodes most recently e23

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't know, whatever it is you talk in the south.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

So for a laugh I decided to watch Threads yesterday, and guess what day the story begins on?

VVV nah he's Swiss afaik

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 4, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The only specifically unique Glasgow accents I can think of is the 'Glasgow Uni' accent which is a sort of weird mid-Atlantic/valley-girl drawl mashed up with with the sort of upper middle class Scots you hear on the West coast. It's just as horrendous as it sounds.

There is also a very distinct southside of Glasgow accent primarily among the Pakistani community but its spreading out into general use amongst other ethnic/white groups. If you've seen Still Game it's basically the shopkeeper.

Other than that its just a sort of generic Glasgow style that you hear basically everywhere from North Ayrshire through to Bellshill.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Reveilled posted:

I've always found the "glasgow uni accent" thing a bit mystifying because I've heard lots of references to it but don't think I've ever actually heard it, unless it's just a new name for "west end accent". I've got a fairly typical west end accent, but when I was briefly at uni I don't think any of my friends spoke with the same accent as I had unless they were specifically from the west end, and my current D&D group which is almost entirely Glasgow Uni alumni mostly just sound like the places they're from: Edinburgh, Australia, the highlands.

I think it probably really just the generic accent around younger people in Hillhead /kelvinbridge rather than specific to the uni (though that's probably the main driver). It's certainly distinct from what I'd class as the more middle class Glasgow voice (Armando Ianucci/Peter Capaldis accent spring to mind here as examples)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Speaking of Scots Labour

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1499641366594400262?s=19

It's back baby, its bigoted again!

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer, we'll keep the red... hand flying here.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We have a lot of wind and a lot of sea so surely all renewables investment should purely focus on turbines and tidal generation? Solar seems inefficient here, like is it even worthwhile getting domestic solar panels installed if the government aren't subsidising/paying the cost?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
At least the Americans tried to create a pretense for Iraq beforehand, by like getting Colin Powell to debase himself at the UN and say a lot of wild poo poo about chemical weapons that could hit us in 45 minutes. Russians are just being lazy imo, haven't been putting the work in.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Neither will face justice, both will live longer than Kissinger.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Sounds like Berkow is the perfect fit for the Labour Party.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I welcome the Teletubbies referring to me as naughty, but ask that they go further and also chase me around the room.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why has everyone started pronouncing Kiev as Keeeve, did I miss the memo?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I think the old wrong way might be closer to the correct way than the new wrong way is.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Still calling it Burma, don't like it there's the door :britain:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tchaikovsky's just been cancelled, he's not recovering from this.

https://twitter.com/MusicMagazine/status/1501561340439281671

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That user has me blocked but I assume that they are drawing a comparison between the brave fighters of the Azov battalion and the future growing reactionary movement in Scottish nationalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Alba Party truly is a land of contrasts. On one hand we have grassroots members drawing weak comparisons to the Ukraine conflict and internal UK politics, and on the other hand potential local election candidates who are also pro-Putin spies.

quote:

Rekas was previously vice-president of the Zmiana (Change) Party in Poland, a pro-Kremlin outfit that sought a friendly partnership with Putin and condemned western sanctions on Moscow during the 2014 invasion of Crimea.

He became acting leader in 2016 after Mateusz Piskorski was detained on charges of “cooperation with Russian intelligence services, meeting intelligence officers and undertaking operational tasks from them as well as accepting payments”.

https://twitter.com/bellacaledonia/status/1501634155804778498

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 9, 2022