Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm not even sure if living off yellow stickered food is a genuine economy anyway. If you're a poor family and both parents are working full time you'd need a chest freezer and be reasonably lucky if you wanted to ensure a varied diet out of one or two weekly shops. The freezer isn't free and while cheap, it's also not free to run.

Like, I've come home with 20 massive yorkshire puddings that were 10p for four. That's great if you do a roast once a week and can freeze them in the meantime but pretty useless if all you have is the freezer box in a split fridge freezer.

I had a lot of fun with those yorkshire puds mind you. Fajitas using them instead of tortillas were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1499058703009558533

Interesting. I only know of one direct backer and they're I think resident in the UK, no obvious names stand out so unless it's someone funding legatum who in turn fund GB news I've no idea.

E: The person is named in a followup tweet. Sorry for the heil link:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5695573/Legatum-founder-suspected-spy.html

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Why does international espionage mostly involve boring old twats

Because boring old twats are who control most places.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

WhatEvil posted:

Voting for and legitimising the Labour right is going to lead to precisely zero meaningful positive change to anything. The most powerful thing you can do as a leftist in Britain right now is withholding your vote from the Labour party. I'd maybe consider voting for Labour if and only if I had a good, solidly left-wing candidate like Abbott, RLB, Burgon, Butler, but I'd say that's an almost exhaustive list. I don't rate the rest of the SCG. Maybe I'm wrong in that.

I'm in this camp. My options for the council elections this week consist of:

Lab: RLB's press secretary and endorsed by RLB so probably not terrible?
Con: Some random tory
Ind: Ex-Lib Dem, then UKIP, then green, now independent (?)
Green: Ex Tory, then Lab, now Green, claims he was ousted from lab by 'the hard left' lol
Lib dem: Some random piss diamond

I am firmly in the 'don't enable lab' camp but with that list I have zero choice

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Barry Foster posted:

could just not vote

True, but I'm not sure that sends any message at all, or at least one that will be internalised by lab.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1522151745627078656
:boom:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Best eating I've ever done was a mosque kitchen. Those guys had it right. Only a couple of options, queue at the buffet while a bunch of folks behind it are stirring a bathtub full of boiling rice and spices. Imam wandering around chatting to folks and joking with the kids. Cost next to nothing, was always cheerful and was packed out every lunchtime.

Same is true of a buddhist-run place I used to visit, they're genuninely happy to be serving you good food.

It's the simple, friendly places where the staff are clearly enjoying themselves that I'd go for every time. I don't particularly enjoy being 'served' food by someone who is doing it because they have to, and I don't think under capitalism there's much room for the alternative above, but plenty under a more equitable system.

E: I guess that's the point, really. If people are relaxed enough to be chatting and joking while doing food prep, or are having a natter with a regular, or have a small enough turnover to not be constantly hovering over tables to prep them for the next set of 'guests' that's a loss of potential revenue that cannot be tolerated by capitalism.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
the linen hall library is lovely, and all the nicer for being close enough to city hall for it to be an embarassment to them. The ulster folk and transport museum used to be really good, dunno about now. The botanic gardens is really nice- check out the tropical ravine in particular as a good example of victorian design, and the museum (proper, not the folk and transport one) is on the same grounds and has a really well balanced exhibit on the history of the troubles.

St. George's market used to be a proper market with random stalls but since it got renovated it might have gone a bit hipster.

Cave hill is a nice walk if the weather is good- nice views of the city from napoleon's nose.

Areas to avoid: Not really anywhere. If you're a tourist people tend to be quite welcoming. You can do black taxi tours of some of the more interesting troubles hotspots and if you get an older driver they tend to give a good albeit biased personal history.