Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

If you have read and registered my user name with my posts on SA at large you know I'm completely obsessed with the Wamba but consider this me priming the pump to do some more effort posting on my part. People in the welcome thread seemed interested in my larger Chumbawamba thread idea, this is a half step of sorts, where instead of me telling you which of their songs make me cry maybe I'll try to find a song I think might mean something to you, or maybe just remind you they wrote more songs than Tubthumping! All levels of exposure to the Wamba welcome. If you want something more apolitical maybe mention that in your post but I'm very aware I'm in byob. Ok I hope you like your song, friends!

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

haha I’m not mad that this isn’t a prozzak thread haha why is everyone asking me that no I love a lager cider drink haha

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
I heard they were some kind of hardcore punk band but I have trouble believing this after only hearing Tubthumper. Please dispel my doubts.

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
"chumbawamba" means "the chums who wamb"

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
In college I bought an anthology of anarchist poetry at the anarchist bookstore and one of the poems was by the Chumbawamba guy.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

How Wonderful!

I should say that during this time I listened to Propagandhi a lot and stuff like that, this was also right at the very beginning of the little folk-punk craze of the late aughts so by all means something was in the water at that moment, and one of my friends got on my case about making a snide comment about Chumbawamba and had me listen to English Rebel Songs, which I liked, I liked it enough to apologize and promise to have an open mind but for whatever reason I never sought out or listened to other Chumbawamba songs or records. So shout out to my friend Kristin for teaching me the value of an open mind via gently chiding me at the time Defiance Ohio came to our school and played in the student union lounge.

Ass-penny

nut posted:

haha I’m not mad that this isn’t a prozzak thread haha why is everyone asking me that no I love a lager cider drink haha

For you my good friend nut, have the song Pickle from the 2010 record ABCDEFG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qREyisdQUm0

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

rear end-penny posted:

that's a great song, i've never heard that one before. i friggin luv it

that's me and my tunes. i pickle em

gonna release something this year though!!!

Heather Papps

hello friend

big fan of songs that you can sing along with and yelling i get knocked down while hammered at a bar is just chefs kiss perfect

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ass-penny

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I heard they were some kind of hardcore punk band but I have trouble believing this after only hearing Tubthumper. Please dispel my doubts.

Sherbert Hoover yeah my understanding is that they kind of formed as a bit of a lark and none of them were really actual musicians, and being the 80s, punk was the way to go, especially since that genre really puts no stress on proper musicianship. I'd been told in the past some of them were in the punk band Crass (and it certainly sounded like Los Chumbas Wambas vocalists at times when I listened to Crass' Christ the Album but looking at both bands Wiki entries maybe none of them were in that band?

To get that punk sound out of the Wamba you have to go way back in the catalogue. This is from the 1987 record Never Mind the Ballots, it isn't my favorite track on the record but I think it demonstrates the punk aesthetic more effectively than the one I like more, and gosh darn it you are going to get your doubts dispelled!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7SRqW7LzBY

Ass-penny fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 6, 2022

Ass-penny

Dr. Honked posted:

"chumbawamba" means "the chums who wamb"

hello doctor, you seem well versed in the ways of the wamba. I don't know where you're from originally but your posts in the snow day thread make me feel like you live in a small town, or at least out of town, I know nothing about the island. this was the "theme song" for my drow bard/rogue in a D&D game who eventually sold my families souls to the drow demon/spider queen Lolth because they were trying to direct the course of my life, it always makes me feel things even before I needlessly attributed it extra meaning. from the 1997 best selling record with the dreaded tune Tubthumper, this is your song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8kCCUu2wU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

rear end-penny posted:

hello doctor, you seem well versed in the ways of the wamba. I don't know where you're from originally but your posts in the snow day thread make me feel like you live in a small town, or at least out of town, I know nothing about the island. this was the "theme song" for my drow bard/rogue in a D&D game who eventually sold my families souls to the drow demon/spider queen Lolth because they were trying to direct the course of my life, it always makes me feel things even before I needlessly attributed it extra meaning. from the 1997 best selling record with the dreaded tune Tubthumper, this is your song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8kCCUu2wU

i appreciate this tune, thanks u

Ass-penny

How Wonderful! posted:

In college I bought an anthology of anarchist poetry at the anarchist bookstore and one of the poems was by the Chumbawamba guy.

How Wonderful! posted:

I should say that during this time I listened to Propagandhi a lot and stuff like that, this was also right at the very beginning of the little folk-punk craze of the late aughts so by all means something was in the water at that moment, and one of my friends got on my case about making a snide comment about Chumbawamba and had me listen to English Rebel Songs, which I liked, I liked it enough to apologize and promise to have an open mind but for whatever reason I never sought out or listened to other Chumbawamba songs or records. So shout out to my friend Kristin for teaching me the value of an open mind via gently chiding me at the time Defiance Ohio came to our school and played in the student union lounge.

Which one of them wrote the poem, if you remember? English Rebel Songs is just :kiss: and according to a documentary I watched about Chumbawamba they got a lot of flack for wanting to make that record, because all of their musical contacts were punk, and "ugh you want to cover a bunch of old, largely a cappella songs" wasn't punk enough for some people, but when you consider who wrote those songs and why, like, in what way is that not punk as gently caress? Kristin sounds like they would be my friend. Def had a friend's wife find me listening to the Wamba at a party and he tells me she tells her friends that I like this band, not even ironically, like that would be a thing.

For you, How Wonderful! I picked the first track off 2005's A Singsong and a Scrap, this song always makes me feel good, and I hope you get some good feels too, friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Na92GMBqBQ

Dr. Honked posted:

that's a great song, i've never heard that one before. i friggin luv it

that's me and my tunes. i pickle em

gonna release something this year though!!!

:peanut:

Ass-penny

Heather Papps posted:

big fan of songs that you can sing along with and yelling i get knocked down while hammered at a bar is just chefs kiss perfect

Los Chumbas Wambas excels at writing songs that you can sing along to! For my friend Heather Papps please enjoy this LIVE recording of a sing-alongable song that was on the In Memoriam: Margaret Thatcher EP that was recorded in 2005 but didn't get released until 2013 for obvious reasons! As a live clip there is some explanation/banter at the beginning, if you want to skip it (why?) the song starts around 1:48.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKoCg3hgJRw

Heather Papps

hello friend

rear end-penny posted:

Los Chumbas Wambas excels at writing songs that you can sing along to! For my friend Heather Papps please enjoy this LIVE recording of a sing-alongable song that was on the In Memoriam: Margaret Thatcher EP that was recorded in 2005 but didn't get released until 2013 for obvious reasons! As a live clip there is some explanation/banter at the beginning, if you want to skip it (why?) the song starts around 1:48.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKoCg3hgJRw

this rules, and it's already stuck in my head, and has found a place on my "play this at my funeral" list of songs. lovely, just lovely.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't know anything about chumbawumba beyond tubthumping but I really like the weakerthans and by the transitive property that means I'd really like propaghandi and by HW's comments that means there are probably non-tubthumping songs I would like.

fun fact: I had never heard all of tubthumping until just two weeks ago when it came up on the radio at the laundromat.

nut

rear end-penny posted:

what does the song mean tho

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

nut posted:

you made some music but you didn't put it out there for anyone to hear, it's like a jar of pickles left on a shelf.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

rear end-penny posted:

Sherbert Hoover yeah my understanding is that they kind of formed as a bit of a lark and none of them were really actual musicians, and being the 80s, punk was the way to go, especially since that genre really puts no stress on proper musicianship. I'd been told in the past some of them were in the punk band Crass (and it certainly sounded like Los Chumbas Wambas vocalists at times when I listened to Crass' Christ the Album but looking at both bands Wiki entries maybe none of them were in that band?

To get that punk sound out of the Wamba you have to go way back in the catalogue. This is from the 1987 record [i]Never Mind the Ballots[i], it isn't my favorite track on the record but I think it demonstrates the punk aesthetic more effectively than the one I like more, and gosh darn it you are going to get your doubts dispelled!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7SRqW7LzBY

Hey, this was neat! It has a lot of that New Wave playfulness that you hear in a lot of non-American punk bands from the time. No Means No comes to mind. Very cool to hear such a direct and hard-hitting celebration of the women's suffrage movement too.

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Ass-penny

Leraika posted:

I don't know anything about chumbawumba beyond tubthumping but I really like the weakerthans and by the transitive property that means I'd really like propaghandi and by HW's comments that means there are probably non-tubthumping songs I would like.

fun fact: I had never heard all of tubthumping until just two weeks ago when it came up on the radio at the laundromat.

I have never heard of the Weakerthans but I've been listening to Left and Leaving while I did some browsing and it's super chill.

You get to listen to El Fusilado off 2008's The Boy Bands Have Won which is the short version of the title, which is 156 words long, and holds the Guinness Record for longest album title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05j25PHA7l8

Ass-penny

nut posted:

I think one of the beautiful things about art is that it can be interpreted in different ways, though Chumbawamba very much does write songs "about" things.

Dr. Honked posted:

you made some music but you didn't put it out there for anyone to hear, it's like a jar of pickles left on a shelf.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Hey, this was neat! It has a lot of that New Wave playfulness that you hear in a lot of non-American punk bands from the time. No Means No comes to mind. Very cool to hear such a direct and hard-hitting celebration of the women's suffrage movement too.

Oh yeah they are very political and write songs about oppressed people all of the time. The record How Wonderful! mentioned is all covers of songs written by the different people England has oppressed and written between the years 1381 and 1914. It's fantastic.

If you like songs that empower women you'd like this cover they did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEh2EIphAQ4&t=1039s

nut

is it about pickles irl

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

nut posted:

is it about pickles irl

it's pickles all the way down

Ass-penny

nut posted:

is it about pickles irl

I think they mean that if you treat your music by putting it away and not playing it for other people it is like, did you even make a song? It's not music if it's tucked away in a closet where no one will hear it.

How Wonderful!

rear end-penny posted:

Which one of them wrote the poem, if you remember? English Rebel Songs is just :kiss: and according to a documentary I watched about Chumbawamba they got a lot of flack for wanting to make that record, because all of their musical contacts were punk, and "ugh you want to cover a bunch of old, largely a cappella songs" wasn't punk enough for some people, but when you consider who wrote those songs and why, like, in what way is that not punk as gently caress? Kristin sounds like they would be my friend. Def had a friend's wife find me listening to the Wamba at a party and he tells me she tells her friends that I like this band, not even ironically, like that would be a thing.

For you, How Wonderful! I picked the first track off 2005's A Singsong and a Scrap, this song always makes me feel good, and I hope you get some good feels too, friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Na92GMBqBQ

:peanut:

I don't remember who wrote the poet and I'm not sure if I still have the anthology or if I gave it to student. I'll look for it in a minute and see if its around.

I really like "Laughter in a Time of War," I was really surprised by how much it resembled some of the mid-aughts twee & indie pop, I wasn't prepared for that kind of slightly bitter-edged wistfulness. In terms of sentiment it reminded me of this Martha song from 2017, "Winter Fuel Allowance Ineligibility Blues": it sounds much different obviously but I think they're both pretty sweet and somewhat sly songs about making the best of a rough world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqynJ68klg

nut

rear end-penny posted:

I think they mean that if you treat your music by putting it away and not playing it for other people it is like, did you even make a song? It's not music if it's tucked away in a closet where no one will hear it.

like a pickle...

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

rear end-penny posted:

I have never heard of the Weakerthans but I've been listening to Left and Leaving while I did some browsing and it's super chill.

You get to listen to El Fusilado off 2008's The Boy Bands Have Won which is the short version of the title, which is 156 words long, and holds the Guinness Record for longest album title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05j25PHA7l8

this is the most upbeat song about a guy and a firing squad ever. I really like it! It is a bit of history I did not know, and the song itself slaps.

How Wonderful!

The Weakerthans rule so much.

Ass-penny

nut posted:

like a pickle...

Never heard a pickle sing a song before :thunk:

Ass-penny

I'm glad people like their songs. If you want to do another let me know. HW! I'll have to peep that song you posted after work.

nut

rear end-penny posted:

Never heard a pickle sing a song before :thunk:

Ass-penny

I bet that would be fun to circuit bend.

HW! this Martha song is real interesting, I'm going to have to look them up. I can see what you mean about the sentiment being similar!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
pro tip: do not wamb ur chumb

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he dri :barf:

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
he sings a song that reminds him of the vodka times
he drinks a vodka that reminds him of the vodka drink

Ass-penny

Barco Fiesta posted:

he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he drinks a vodka drink
he dri :barf:

don't doxx me friend.

You get to enjoy the song Homophobia off 1994's Anarchy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLx5is8V4gE

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
i call tubthumping!

Heather Papps posted:

i've been scooped!

Ass-penny

canyoneer posted:

i call tubthumping!

i've been scooped!

Are you sure you want that one, and not one of the others that maybe you haven't heard before?

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

rear end-penny posted:

don't doxx me friend.

You get to enjoy the song Homophobia off 1994's Anarchy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLx5is8V4gE

He sings the songs that remind me of the worser times
He sings the songs that remind me of the hate crimes :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs