Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

pencilhands posted:

The good news is I live in a city large enough that I’m pretty sure I would just be vaporized instantly.

Inshallah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fish of hemp posted:

I've been asking that same question in the other parts of Internet. What would have been the most horrible consequence if Russia would not have started the invasion? It must have been something really terrible because Russia chose war.

Putin would probably be underwater for the next re-election, can't have that

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mobby_6kl posted:

Putin would probably be underwater for the next re-election, can't have that

That's cute, you think the elections matter when he jails his opponents, controls the media, uses the duma as a rubber stamp, and just has people straight up faking ballets during counting on camera.

It ain't the election he's afraid of.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

That's cute, you think the elections matter when he jails his opponents, controls the media, uses the duma as a rubber stamp, and just has people straight up faking ballets during counting on camera.

It ain't the election he's afraid of.

Oh no, but it's more :effort: to fake/suppress and doesn't look good

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

pencilhands posted:

I’ve been lurking this thread and read the whole thing now, been thinking about it a lot. I wanna know goons, how worried should the average person be about nuclear war actually becoming a reality?

The good news is I live in a city large enough that I’m pretty sure I would just be vaporized instantly.

We've got another thread for this kind of question.

edit: oh wait its this thread.

It is no longer a "not gonna happen, don't be stupid lol" kind of worry, but it is still very, very unlikely.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 31, 2022

fnox
May 19, 2013

I don't think its an exaggeration to say that the risk of nuclear war is at the highest it has ever been. But somehow we're not certain it will be the planet ending thermonuclear war, unlike how it was for the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fnox posted:

I don't think its an exaggeration to say that the risk of nuclear war is at the highest it has ever been. But somehow we're not certain it will be the planet ending thermonuclear war, unlike how it was for the Cuban Missile Crisis.

agreed. i think if putin pushed the button and blew up kyiv or warsaw or paris or a virginia suburb. russia would become more isolated then north korea and putin would probably be dead in a couple months.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed. i think if putin pushed the button and blew up kyiv or warsaw or paris or a virginia suburb. russia would become more isolated then north korea and putin would probably be dead in a couple months.
Putin would not survive nuking a nuclear armed state, especially not their capital.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Isolated eh? If by that you mean Russia would continue to exist but only on another plane of existence, then you're right.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fish of hemp posted:

I've been asking that same question in the other parts of Internet. What would have been the most horrible consequence if Russia would not have started the invasion? It must have been something really terrible because Russia chose war.
I genuinely don't believe Putin and co thought there was any justification other than "We can get away with this." A quick blitzkrieg, capture Kyiv in a decapitation attack, the rest of the country folds, the West postures impotently but what are they gonna do about it, let us cut off their gas? Except it turned out conquering an entire country of 43 million people is harder than sending in Little Green Men to slice off regions of far smaller republics, especially when it turns out your mighty army has been hollowed-out by corruption.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

fnox posted:

Intentional nuclear war, at any rate. From what we know, the closest shaves we've historically had have been various human interventions to automated systems suggesting to one side or the other that the enemy has launched, proceed with thermonuclear war [ ] y [ ] n? So far, people have opted for n.

But a "limited" nuclear exchange is worrisome in a different way, since it sends a bad message if the 'international community' doesn't retaliate to someone lobbing just one or two nukes onto any target.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I suspect Putin and his circle of advisors thought that NATO wouldn't interfere because Russia still had enough nukes to flatten Europe. But then the sanctions and military aid kinda called his bluff after Ukrainian resistance against the half-assed invasion was way more effective than anticipated.

I also think that Putin wanted to incorporate large parts of Ukraine into the Russian federation as a prestigious end to his reign as Russian leader. He's got to realize he won't live forever and wants to be remembered in the history books as someone who made Russia great, following the collapse of the USSR. Launching some nukes and ending history isn't going to be on the table for him. Maybe he'd consider it if he's personally being cornered, but at that point the people actually manning the missile launch systems won't have much reason to follow him anymore.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

fnox posted:

Bullshit. There have been points where one or more nations had their nuclear football out with the keys in. This is just more saber rattling like happened constantly during the Cold War.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Able AA-11 "Archer" '22

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 1, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Good article on the Russian biological weapons program, for your daily dose of Clancychat.

https://thebulletin.org/2022/10/the-russian-biological-weapons-program-in-2022/

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

With talk of Kherson being a trap. Is the thought Russia might use a low yield nuke on the 'evacuated' city?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pleasant Friend posted:

With talk of Kherson being a trap. Is the thought Russia might use a low yield nuke on the 'evacuated' city?

Not really, its just now that Ukraine had some high-profile success with breaking through and rushing after fleeing Russians a couple times, they tried to manufacture something that appeared to be the same situation, but they weren't stupid enough to fall for it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there is no world in which russia launches nukes at the west and humanity exists by the next day

there probably isn't a world in which russia launches nukes at not-the-west and humanity exists by the next day

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Skyl3lazer posted:

there is no world in which russia launches nukes at the west and humanity exists by the next day

there probably isn't a world in which russia launches nukes at not-the-west and humanity exists by the next day

It's what we deserve

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There isn't also a world where russia nukes anything preemptively.

Or if there is, it's not worth worrying about.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

My understanding is that this is not really in line with current scientific understanding. For one thing, a full scale nuclear war between the west and Russia likely wouldn't even directly kill the populations of the countries involved, let alone the global south. The bigger issue is nuclear winter and the resulting global famine, but (a) it's not really clear that a prolonged nuclear winter would occur and (b) even if it did, the resulting global famine is almost certainly not gonna cause human extinction.

Like, don't get me wrong, nuclear war is a really bad thing, and no individual has particularly great odds of surviving it. But I think it's important to stick to the facts when describing its effects.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

VikingofRock posted:

Like, don't get me wrong, nuclear war is a really bad thing, and no individual has particularly great odds of surviving it. But I think it's important to stick to the facts when describing its effects.

Yeah and its not like we didn't bounce back the last time the Vimana's rained god-lightning from the skies!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VikingofRock posted:

My understanding is that this is not really in line with current scientific understanding. For one thing, a full scale nuclear war between the west and Russia likely wouldn't even directly kill the populations of the countries involved, let alone the global south. The bigger issue is nuclear winter and the resulting global famine, but (a) it's not really clear that a prolonged nuclear winter would occur and (b) even if it did, the resulting global famine is almost certainly not gonna cause human extinction.

I think the effects are generally well understood enough to conclude it probably results in the end of civilization as we know it, if not the almost total extinction of the human race. It’s not really controversial to claim it would be the end of the world as we know it.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

qhat posted:

I think the effects are generally well understood enough to conclude it probably results in the end of civilization as we know it, if not the almost total extinction of the human race. It’s not really controversial to claim it would be the end of the world as we know it.

I don’t think there is really a reason for the nuclear powers to lob nukes at the south (some strategic facilities in Australia aside) and nuclear winter may not have a significant impact below the equator.

On a humanity scale it will be end of days but I expect that large parts of South America, Pacific Islands, NZ, most of Australia, would carry on to some degree. The resulting humanitarian and refugee crisis would be unprecedented though.

I don’t expect anyone would attack Africa but the situation in so many countries there is already precarious enough that minor weather or geopolitical impacts would possibly tip the scales to full on collapse.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I don’t think there is really a reason for the nuclear powers to lob nukes at the south (some strategic facilities in Australia aside) and nuclear winter may not have a significant impact below the equator.

Well a few strategic facilities in Australia would be one at each capital city, so you only need a half dozen to cripple the country. Though if they only hit Canberra it would improve things.

The resulting tidal wave of refugee's would result in a lot of sunk ships too. And not from natural causes.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

On a humanity scale it will be end of days but I expect that large parts of South America, Pacific Islands, NZ, most of Australia, would carry on to some degree. The resulting humanitarian and refugee crisis would be unprecedented though.

I don’t expect anyone would attack Africa but the situation in so many countries there is already precarious enough that minor weather or geopolitical impacts would possibly tip the scales to full on collapse.

The societies that didn't receive hits are just going to collapse anyway, we could expect multi-decade civil wars below and above the equator.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

qhat posted:

Eh, we'd probably get knocked back to a early-mid 20th century tech level and a human population hovering about the billion mark. I'd give it well under a hundred years until we had PlayStations again.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What about Nintendo Switch

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Comstar posted:

Well a few strategic facilities in Australia would be one at each capital city, so you only need a half dozen to cripple the country. Though if they only hit Canberra it would improve things.

The resulting tidal wave of refugee's would result in a lot of sunk ships too. And not from natural causes.

The strategic targets I was thinking of are the shared US/AUS installations that would support the US capability.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Credible climatological research on nuclear winter is just so all over the place that you can't really say whether nuclear war is a good thing or a bad thing. The uncertainties on level of dust, its persistence, etc, are all really huge.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The strategic targets I was thinking of are the shared US/AUS installations that would support the US capability.

Well there’s pine gap…and lots of ports and air ports that in or next to cities. Marines next to Darwin too. Can’t think of any other.

Though skipping Canberra would possibly work as well as hitting other targets.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Comstar posted:

Well there’s pine gap…and lots of ports and air ports that in or next to cities. Marines next to Darwin too. Can’t think of any other.

Though skipping Canberra would possibly work as well as hitting other targets.

Theres a naval communication station in the middle of northwest named after a Prime Minister who went for a swim at the beach and never came back.

It's the most powerful transmission station in the southern hemisphere.

But if Oz gets nuked and they spare Canberra they'll have a lot of pissed off Aussies to deal with.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Climatological concerns aside, either Russia or the United States individually has enough nukes to hit every major population centre on the planet, including their own, a few times over with like 30 minutes notice. If you think they won’t launch every nuke they have at every non objectively friendly target, you’re naive. There are no models for what happens when you explode 6000 nukes in the atmosphere at the same time because the closest disasters energy wise that has ever occurred occurred millions of years ago and have already caused massive extinctions on a global scale.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Since there are over 10000 cities on the planet a lot of those nukes would have to be able bomb multible targets at once in order to hit every population center on the planet.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Modern estimates put the number of nukes in the world just south of 13,000 so you theoretically could hit every city. You wouldn't, but you could.

The thing about nukes is if one country launches, everyone pretty much has to launch everything at their predetermined targets because you don't know until too late whether that nuke is heading for you or over you.

So a nuclear exchange isn't just US vs Russia, France, India, Pakistan, the UK, and China all probably get in on the party as well.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ranbo das posted:

Modern estimates put the number of nukes in the world just south of 13,000 so you theoretically could hit every city. You wouldn't, but you could.

The thing about nukes is if one country launches, everyone pretty much has to launch everything at their predetermined targets because you don't know until too late whether that nuke is heading for you or over you.

So a nuclear exchange isn't just US vs Russia, France, India, Pakistan, the UK, and China all probably get in on the party as well.

Wait, so you think if France detects a nuclear launch in India heading towards Pakistani military bases, they are going to respond by firing at Beijing?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

ranbo das posted:

Ballistic missile paths are very predictable. Their paths will be known very soon after launch, since the burn phase only lasts a few minutes. Non-belligerant nuclear powers would have every reason to stay out, and belligerent powers would have every reason to not hit a non-belligerent.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

and then there's the Israeli "Samson Option": if it looks like your country is about to fall, throw nukes at anything and everything within reach out of spite.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
What are the odds that Russian nukes, like lot of things in Russia, exist only on paper and in reality they are either unusable or sold to parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Szarrukin posted:

What are the odds that Russian nukes, like lot of things in Russia, exist only on paper and in reality they are either unusable or sold to parts?

They have like six thousand, do you really want to take that chance with even one of them?