Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
When I was a kid I had a book of cryptographic puzzles (think like letter cyphers or Zodiac Killer/The Riddler stuff) that were individual puzzles that also had a meta puzzle that could only be solved by analyzing all the completed puzzles and little side puzzles in the margins. I know there’s no way you all would know that particular book but does anybody know anything that would scratch that itch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

When I was a kid I had a book of cryptographic puzzles (think like letter cyphers or Zodiac Killer/The Riddler stuff) that were individual puzzles that also had a meta puzzle that could only be solved by analyzing all the completed puzzles and little side puzzles in the margins. I know there’s no way you all would know that particular book but does anybody know anything that would scratch that itch?

Like this?

edit: Actually, here, you want Matt Gaffney's weekly meta crossword. He's also produced a few physical books of these.

Parahexavoctal has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Mar 28, 2022

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

If the cryptic chat has got you curious about cryptics, I'm about to stream today's Guardian cryptic crossword over on my twitch.

Mondays are generally the easiest of the week, and I make sure to explain the thought process behind all my answers. It's a nice chill time! (With some silliness)

https://twitch.tv/brainmage

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Flint_Paper posted:

If the cryptic chat has got you curious about cryptics, I'm about to stream today's Guardian cryptic crossword over on my twitch.

Mondays are generally the easiest of the week, and I make sure to explain the thought process behind all my answers. It's a nice chill time! (With some silliness)

Really great stream man, very entertaining and educational

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Parahexavoctal posted:

Every now and then, when I've got a deadline, I have to temporarily block myself from visiting Otto Janko's logic puzzle archive (yes, it's in German, but English versions of the instructions are provided also, and Chrome will automatically translate).

Other time sinks include Jim "Krazydad" Bumgardner's puzzle archive (especially the Variety Slitherlinks) and Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzles Collection, which includes small puzzle generators.

Ooh thanks. I play slitherlinks on Simon Tatham's all the time. I'll check out Krazydad's now too!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Really great stream man, very entertaining and educational

Aww, thank you! A few people who've been watching for a while are now solving cryptics on their own for fun as a result. I feel like some sort of terrible cult leader.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

https://store.doverpublications.com...nAaAhOpEALw_wcB

This guy is no joke fuckin HARD, but the difference between the ones you can do in ten minutes and the one you spend hours over days solving are totally indistinguishable at the start. So you are always coming off stomping a problem that looked JUST LIKE this loving one you can't figure out how to attack.

It's a perfect skinner box of random reward/punishment. Got it to waste time on a 13 hour flight barely noticed the time and spent the next three months working through it.

KleenexCMW
Dec 26, 2003
That's no pumpkin, that's a beetroot!
There's a fun book called Maze of Games I received as a gift years ago that blends a story with mazes and multiple types of puzzles, mostly word-based like crosswords and ciphers. I've been working on it off and on for a while and have inserted multiple loose sheets of paper with my scribbles trying to solve all the connected pages. There are multiple sections where you have to complete a maze with movement rules and restrictions to determine the order you complete the puzzles in. Each puzzle then has a letter or word that link together to solve that chunk of the book. I believe the author is also a board game designer.

http://www.lonesharkgames.com/maze/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

KleenexCMW posted:

There's a fun book called Maze of Games I received as a gift years ago that blends a story with mazes and multiple types of puzzles, mostly word-based like crosswords and ciphers. I've been working on it off and on for a while and have inserted multiple loose sheets of paper with my scribbles trying to solve all the connected pages. There are multiple sections where you have to complete a maze with movement rules and restrictions to determine the order you complete the puzzles in. Each puzzle then has a letter or word that link together to solve that chunk of the book. I believe the author is also a board game designer.

http://www.lonesharkgames.com/maze/

That looks really neat, bookmarked to pick up at some point :tipshat:

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, along with the fun posts about crosswords and cryptics.

Re: The Maze of Games; Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but one of Mike Selinker's coworkers accused him of some toxic poo poo back in November,so I'm very hesitant to recommend anything he worked on. He has apologized and apparently is taking steps to better himself,but I'll let you folks decide if that's enough.

It's a drat shame, as he wrote a pretty good book called Puzzlecraft with Thomas Snyder on how to design various types of puzzles with plenty of examples. And the puzzle community is generally a very welcoming place when assholes don't pop up.

In less sad news, the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament is this weekend, and you can get the puzzles for home solving at their website. I also want to shout out the Crossword Links Substack, which collects links to mainstream and indie puzzles alike.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Parahexavoctal posted:

Other time sinks include Jim "Krazydad" Bumgardner's puzzle archive (especially the Variety Slitherlinks)
Will have to try a few of those. The Haunted arrangements look interesting.

The super tough mazes are taking me 1--2 min. :razz: But I like mazes. Here are a few straightforward ones I generated some time ago. (No entrances, just get from the lower left to the upper right... Then for more fun, get from the upper left to the lower right!)

KleenexCMW
Dec 26, 2003
That's no pumpkin, that's a beetroot!

somekindofguy posted:

Re: The Maze of Games; Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but one of Mike Selinker's coworkers accused him of some toxic poo poo back in November,so I'm very hesitant to recommend anything he worked on. He has apologized and apparently is taking steps to better himself,but I'll let you folks decide if that's enough.

Dammit, this is why we can't have nice things.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was going to post about that one myself - I have dumped an unreasonable number of hours down map, rectangles, light up, net, pattern, and untangle

of the wordle-alikes, I've been playing (alongside the original)

quordle (four wordles at once, 9 guesses)
worldle (geography based on the silhouette of a country or territory - decent, but the game has a massive boner for selecting tiny antarctic islands)
heardle (the new zero-thousand dollar name that tune)
framed (six increasingly-obvious screenshots of a movie, you provide the title)
and I just started waffle, which has the same five-by-five-minus-four grid as squardle, but is based around the letters all starting on the grid and you having 15 moves to swap letter tiles until all six words are in place - every puzzle can be solved in ten moves with perfect play, so your score is 1-5 on any given success)

I am really loving bad at crosswords - when my partner and I used to get games magazine, she'd get the real-deal cryptics and poo poo, I'd get the easy one with the clues in the black squares

but my favorite puzzle in there was always paint by pairs (or, as the puzzle manufacturer calls it on their website, link-a-pix)

where you have to take a grid like this

and fill in lines between matching numbers of the length indicated by the number

to get a picture like this (this is an easier one)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Heardle is a weird one for me, I'm at the exact combination of not really listening to modern music and being very hit or miss on stuff I "should" know from growing up in the 90s that I haven't gotten a single one I've tried. It seems like a fun little challenge if you're more musically aware though, it's just different from the other word or math puzzles.

What's he planning to do with that thing :stare:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

hexwren posted:

I was going to post about that one myself - I have dumped an unreasonable number of hours down map, rectangles, light up, net, pattern, and untangle

of the wordle-alikes, I've been playing (alongside the original)

worldle (geography based on the silhouette of a country or territory - decent, but the game has a massive boner for selecting tiny antarctic islands)
heardle (the new zero-thousand dollar name that tune)
framed (six increasingly-obvious screenshots of a movie, you provide the title)
and I just started waffle, which has the same five-by-five-minus-four grid as squardle, but is based around the letters all starting on the grid and you having 15 moves to swap letter tiles until all six words are in place - every puzzle can be solved in ten moves with perfect play, so your score is 1-5 on any given success)

I am really loving bad at crosswords - when my partner and I used to get games magazine, she'd get the real-deal cryptics and poo poo, I'd get the easy one with the clues in the black squares

but my favorite puzzle in there was always paint by pairs (or, as the puzzle manufacturer calls it on their website, link-a-pix)

where you have to take a grid like this

and fill in lines between matching numbers of the length indicated by the number

to get a picture like this (this is an easier one)

Yeah, conceptis has a bunch of great stuff, even if their web site is stuck in 2005

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

for those of you who like cryptic crosswords but think they're too easy: in 2005, the lunatics at National Puzzlers League made a book of variety cryptic crosswords.

But now it's out of print.

So they put it online as a free PDF.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

hexwren posted:

https://octordle.com/
How about 8 wordles at once, with 13 guesses total?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pfft, get with the times, man, we're on Sedecordle now

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
gently caress it-- here's Kilordle

https://jonesnxt.github.io/kilordle/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:yikes:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is bullshit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

if 16 isn't enough and kilo is too much, here's https://duotrigordle.com/ (32 boards, 37 guesses) which I've done for the last few nights and is pretty okay

I knew about oct and sedec but they've weirdly felt like more of a pain in the neck than anything smaller, but 32 is big enough that it feels different somehow? idk.

I think five guesses over the total is a little tight sometimes, especially if you have to take any 50/50 guesses at all, but I think I'm two-for-four on completing it at this point

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
There's also https://www.redactle.com/, which is kinda like semantle except you are trying to guess one of the top 10k wiki articles by guessing words/numbers in the article (like if it was 'College of Cardinals' you'd have to work around to find sentence patterns that can reference time periods, then go on to general people and geography terms, then try things that could relate to that like religion, zero in on catholic and keep trying terms that would fit what you've uncovered. It's rather fun.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

There's also https://www.redactle.com/, which is kinda like semantle except you are trying to guess one of the top 10k wiki articles by guessing words/numbers in the article (like if it was 'College of Cardinals' you'd have to work around to find sentence patterns that can reference time periods, then go on to general people and geography terms, then try things that could relate to that like religion, zero in on catholic and keep trying terms that would fit what you've uncovered. It's rather fun.

I guess the fun of that one highly depends on the article you get. I had some concept. All I could find is that an university did something with it and that there was an example during WW2.

Edit: I gave today's one a try. Given the context, it was a bit ridiculous but I did manage to solve it because it's my field of study. It was fun finding the most common word of that article.

Unfortunately, since all the LaTeX formulars broke down, I had no clue which probability distribution they were talking about until I eventually brute forced it. It was the exponential distribution but it could have also been something like the Chi-Squared one.

cant cook creole bream has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Apr 25, 2022

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The rules of the 1000 are such that you dont guess each word but the position of letters. I took 113 guesses.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Amoeba102 posted:

The rules of the 1000 are such that you dont guess each word but the position of letters. I took 113 guesses.

Yeah, it's actually really simple due to that. As long as you make sure that every new word has at least one letter in a position where that letter hasn't been before, you can't go above 130.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Flint_Paper posted:

Mid-way through the first lockdown I decided to start streaming cryptic crosswords on twitch as a sort of desperate grab for human contact. I've been doing it every weekday lunchtime for nearly two years now (Christ!), and my love/hate relationship with cryptics hasn't changed.

I was initially drawn to them because I like puns and wordplay. I think there's something really fun about playing about with meaning and subverting expectations. Cryptic crosswords are like that, but turned up to eleven and written by and for bastards.

If you've not seen a cryptic crossword, they're like normal crossword, but set by a smug leather armchair from a gentleman's club in the 1800s.

Regular crosswords have clues where the whole clue is the definition, like "Seats around a table (6)" for chairs, while cryptic crossword clues are dicks. Generally* the first or last part of the clue is the definition, and the rest of the clue is stuff you need to gently caress around with to get there. While the clue may look like a sentence, it's actually a stupid series of codes and instructions, and you need to train yourself to stop reading things like a human being, and pretend to live in a magical place where the concept of meaning is entirely fluid. One of the easiest traps to fall into is to read the clue like a sentence. Don't do that! Mush words together. Ignore punctuation! (Or, do do that, because this time it's an extended cryptic definition, or the punctuation is actually a vital part of the clue).

You see the word flower in a clue? Bet you thought of a plant, didn't you? Like a rose or a daisy. You idiot. You stupid piece of poo poo. It actually means river. You know. Something that flows. A flower. gently caress you. Unless it doesn't. Unless it means flower. In which case also gently caress you.

Supply? Like in economics? NO. That's an anagram indicator. You know. "In a supple way". You know what else is an anagram indicator? Everything. As of this point in this post, I've typed at least sixteen things that could be considered an anagram indicator in a cryptic crossword clue. See if you can find them! It might be fun! (It won't be.)

Sailor? That means "tar". Or maybe "AB". Or maybe "AS". Or maybe a hundred other things. I hope you like Bridge, fucko, because you sure need to know poo poo about that. Church? CH! Because of the Ordnance Survey maps! Or maybe RC, because Roman Catholic. Or maybe COE, because Church of England. WE'RE NOT DONE YET.

Work is OP. Sex is IT. Posh is U. Why? Because gently caress you that's why. (Incidentally, "Y" could mean "unknown", like Variables. X & Y).

Broadcast could well be an anagram clue, but it could also indicate a homophone. You know, like how heir and air sound the same. Also "air" could be a homophone indicator, because when you broadcast something you air it. So could "picked up", "heard", or "announced".

"Reverend" could be an instruction to swap the first letters of two words around, because of this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Archibald_Spooner

Here. Have a huge bastard of a list of things that could be an abbreviation. Or could be something else entirely: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossword_abbreviations

"Presides over church with certain appearances (6)" that's right it's "CHAIRS", MOTHERFUCKER. "Presides over" is the definition, "Church" gives "ch" and "certain appearances" gives "airs", as in "airs and graces"

"Remember what, until her rude awakening, Goldilocks didn't have?(4,2,4)" was a clue in the Guardian cryptic a while ago that made me genuinely angry. I mean, i love it, and think it's really clever, but at the same time OH MY GOD.

Answer: It's a double definition. "Remember" and "what, until her rude awakening, Goldilocks didn't have?". "Bear in mind" I love it. I hate it. I love it.

Question marks? Indicate even more fuckery-boutery. Exclamation marks? Maybe it's a pun. Or the setter is feeling extra smug about it.

Sometimes, part of the clue is in the god drat answer itself.

When I solve them, I genuinely exist in a state where I'm both impressed by the cleverness of the setter, but also hate their goddamn guts. It's great fun.

Want to know more? FifteenSquared is a good resource for people who want to get more into cryptics: it's a blog where they break down puzzles from that day's papers, and explain how they work: https://www.fifteensquared.net/

Also, as I said, I stream myself solving them at 1pm UK time most weekdays. It's more fun that it sounds (and I swear I'm less insufferable than this post makes out), so if you want to join me and a lovely and diverse audience of 60 or so people (turns out a whole lot of queer folk enjoy watching a man solve a cryptic crossword. Who knew?), you can do so here: https://twitch.tv/brainmage

*except, of course, for when it's not

Thanks for this post. I'm pretty decent at typical crosswords and can do most Saturday's NYT. Last month I decided to try cryptics and just hit a wall, day after day, where I simply couldn't understand the clues EVEN LOOKING AT THE ANSWERS for many of them. I think these links should be helpful in breaking through, cheers!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Thanks for this post. I'm pretty decent at typical crosswords and can do most Saturday's NYT. Last month I decided to try cryptics and just hit a wall, day after day, where I simply couldn't understand the clues EVEN LOOKING AT THE ANSWERS for many of them. I think these links should be helpful in breaking through, cheers!

Glad I could help! Two years in and I'm still getting horrified/surprised every time I do one, but it's definitely possible to start learning to spot tricks/signs/indicators etc.

Later stream today - 5pm ish UK time - so feel free to drop in! I think a couple of folks from the thread pop in now and again, and there are Pre-Existing Chat Goons. I do try and breakdown the solutions once I've actually found them, and some people have accused me of being educational, so it might help!

In other puzzle news, this was a sweet article about "generation puzzles", which I hadn't heard about before: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/04/puzzle-will-outlast-world/629651/

Flint_Paper has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Apr 26, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

In other puzzle news, this was a sweet article about "generation puzzles", which I hadn't heard about before: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/04/puzzle-will-outlast-world/629651/

quote:

Jacobs’ Ladder is a physical manifestation of so much of what I love about puzzles. Doing them can make us better thinkers—more creative and more incisive
Says the man whose 'puzzle' has a known solution where the only difficult part is how incredibly tedious and time consuming it would be to implement.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

actually wait does he make puzzles for video games because if so that would explain a lot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm sorry, but if my folks willed me a puzzle that takes 1.2 decillion moves to solve, that poo poo would be at Goodwill by Saturday afternoon

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's nothing, I have a puzzle that takes even longer to solve. It's a crossword but the rules say you have to wait for the universe to revert to a singularity and explode again, eventually forming stars, planets, life, and crossword puzzles anew in between each letter

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

That's nothing, I have a puzzle that takes even longer to solve. It's a crossword but the rules say you have to wait for the universe to revert to a singularity and explode again, eventually forming stars, planets, life, and crossword puzzles anew in between each letter

Are you sure you're not just really bad at crossword puzzles?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Tunicate posted:

Says the man whose 'puzzle' has a known solution where the only difficult part is how incredibly tedious and time consuming it would be to implement.
It strikes me as more of a labyrinth; it's not difficult, but the path must be walked.

And then someone takes the stickers off the Rubiks cube.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

I have just solved this month's Viz cryptic crossword and I feel like a KING. A rude, rude king.

(For non-UK goons, Viz is a comic/magazine with a base, crass, scatalogical and northern sense of humour, and the cryptic is puerile, gutter-minded, and hard as nails. Plus it takes some definitions/wordplay from it's own glossary of made up rude words, which makes things even harder.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

I have just solved this month's Viz cryptic crossword and I feel like a KING. A rude, rude king.

(For non-UK goons, Viz is a comic/magazine with a base, crass, scatalogical and northern sense of humour, and the cryptic is puerile, gutter-minded, and hard as nails. Plus it takes some definitions/wordplay from it's own glossary of made up rude words, which makes things even harder.)

:toot:

That sounds both hilarious and terrifying.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

:toot:

That sounds both hilarious and terrifying.

Stick tongue in, up inside vag on Sunday (4)
Depraved goblin hosed sprite on the bottom (7)
loving good French man (7)
Producing red poo poo, appears nervous (7)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Flint_Paper posted:

Stick tongue in, up inside vag on Sunday (4)
Depraved goblin hosed sprite on the bottom (7)
loving good French man (7)
Producing red poo poo, appears nervous (7)

SNOG
IGNOBLE
?
DITHERS

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Yes! The one you missed was bonking. Because it's slang for loving, good French = bon, man = king because of chess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

So I just found this picture of a random daily local newspaper puzzle I took 10 years ago. I've tried solving it several times but I'm just dumb I guess.

I have come to a possible solution: [4], but the logic by which I found it doesn't feel to be the author's intent: in each row and column adding the largest and smallest digit, and then the remaining digits produces consecutive results (but only for that row/column, the results don't span a specific range of numbers across the whole puzzle (result 14/15 appears three times), though it seems it could have been set to do so). I'm sure it's something way simpler I'm not seeing, this is not a paper known for its puzzles.