Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can someone please solve that one, so I don't feel like the solution is so obvious that it doesn't even need to be mentioned?

cant cook creole bream posted:

2,10,8,6,12,3,15,-,9,-
Fill the two blanks.

Edit: Honestly that's not worth starting a new page on. Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
There's a 1-in-8 chance you're right! :buddy: Assuming it has a valid answer at all.

Why should the rule be "four shapes match in each row between consecutive grids"... ("well except for the last row :stalker:")? I don't buy it yet, but it's an interesting observation and might help narrow down the viable models. Shrug, might be a few days before I can look at it again.

ps
These are nice. It would be impossible to "invent" these now because "what do you mean I'll need to draw them by hand? Surely we can generate holographic three dimensional texture rendered animated shapes automatically!"

PhantomOfTheCopier has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Sep 21, 2022

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

There's a 1-in-8 chance you're right! :buddy: Assuming it has a valid answer at all.

Why should the rule be "four shapes match in each row between consecutive grids"... ("well except for the last row :stalker:")? I don't buy it yet, but it's an interesting observation and might help narrow down the viable models. Shrug, might be a few days before I can look at it.

Valid. Genuinely. Why shouldn't the rule be "each row has one X in the same place in each grid and everything else is random"? and so the answer is now H.

Fundamentally, this is the issue with these puzzles, you have to arrive at the same conclusion as the setter to be "right", even if yours is also a logical tautology.

Anyway, now for a puzzle, seeing as we all love series based ones...

3, 1, 4, 1, 5, ...?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

finding the next digit is easy. i want you to tell me the last one

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
The last 1 will be a 1 :smug:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Can someone please solve that one, so I don't feel like the solution is so obvious that it doesn't even need to be mentioned?

Edit: Honestly that's not worth starting a new page on. Sorry about that.

aka:
2 * [1, 5, 4, 3, 6], 3 * [1, 5, 4, 3, 6]

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

finding the next digit is easy. i want you to tell me the last one

4 (the third digit is the last one)

Control Volume has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Sep 21, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Beezle posted:

Valid. Genuinely. Why shouldn't the rule be "each row has one X in the same place in each grid and everything else is random"? and so the answer is now H.

Fundamentally, this is the issue with these puzzles, you have to arrive at the same conclusion as the setter to be "right", even if yours is also a logical tautology.

3, 1, 4, 1, 5, ...?

1, 6, 1, 7, 1, 8, 1, 9 ,1 ,10
What a simple sequence!

There's always some arbitrariness involved. Every partial sequence of numbers can be extended by just setting it to 0 for all unknown values. That's technically a valid continuation. With some indicator functions you can even write it as a closed mathetical term.

Control Volume posted:

aka:
2 * [1, 5, 4, 3, 6], 3 * [1, 5, 4, 3, 6]

For what it's worth, that's the same solution I had in mind.

A friend once tried to trip me up with the sequence
18, 20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 33...
That one is pure bullshit because you actually need some semi-obscure context.
The next one is 35.

cant cook creole bream has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Sep 22, 2022

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A friend once tried to trip me up with the sequence
18, 20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 33...
That one is pure bullshit because you actually need some semi-obscure context.

That second one is pure bullshit because there are multiple rulesets that could apply. The pattern is incremented by 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3... which doesnt give enough information to create a unique solution. I imagine the increment sequence continues ...2,2,4,4,4... but it could also be ...1,1,4,4,4... or 2,2,2,1,1,3,3,3,2,2,2,1,1,3,3,3... forever. Or maybe 2,2,2,1,1,3,3,3,3 (increments n+1 times where n is the increment value). Real bilbo-quality riddle here

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Beezle posted:

3, 1, 4, 1, 5, ...?
I don't think the answer is anything rational, so I won't even try.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Beezle posted:

3, 1, 4, 1, 5, ...?
Yeap, while doing some Bongard's Problems I was reminded of my Art History class where you had to "see things the right way" to get the points. Oh, is that the way art works?

The answer for numeric sequences is always "oh it's a plain repeating pattern of the given length".

On the last one what I always tell people is I know all the digits of pi: 0123456789 :buddy:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Control Volume posted:

That second one is pure bullshit because there are multiple rulesets that could apply. The pattern is incremented by 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3... which doesnt give enough information to create a unique solution. I imagine the increment sequence continues ...2,2,4,4,4... but it could also be ...1,1,4,4,4... or 2,2,2,1,1,3,3,3,2,2,2,1,1,3,3,3... forever. Or maybe 2,2,2,1,1,3,3,3,3 (increments n+1 times where n is the increment value). Real bilbo-quality riddle here

Oh It's way worse than that! I could continue it and it would make less and less sense.
Let me show you the longer sequence OEIS A027887. According to WolframAlpha:
18, 20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 33, 35, 36, 40, 44, 45, 46, 48, 50, 54, 55, 59, 60, 63, 66, 70, 72, 77, 80, 81, 84, 88, 90, 96, 99, 100, 108, 110, 117, 120, 121, 126, 130, 132, 135, 140, 143, 144, 150, 153, 154, 156, 160, 162, 165, 168, 170, 176, 180, 187, 192, 198, 204, 216, 240, 264, ...

Only read if you want to be angry about bullshit:
It's the bidding sequence in the card game Skat. You would know it when you play, because each round starts with verbally following that sequence.
It's a sequence based on n*(9, 10, 11, 12) (n>=2) with random numbers for special rules like 25 shoved in there.

Good luck figuring that one out without the relevant context.
To be fair, that knowledge is quite common in Germany.

cant cook creole bream has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Sep 22, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The last digit of pi is provably zero.

(in base pi)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

btw ive been playing squaredle, which puts up a new puzzle each day at 12:00 CET (so one hour ago), but today it keeps saying I need to refresh to get the newest one but then just shows yesterday's...?

https://squaredle.app

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

See, that's why I like waffle. It's got a timer counting down to the new puzzle

Tunicate posted:

The last digit of pi is provably zero.

(in base pi)

The last digit of pi in base pi is 1. Which is also the first and only digit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I know I am but we're not talking about my hotness and/or iq right now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flavor.flv posted:

there is a timer, it just didnt work earlier for some reason. came back a couple hours later and it was fine, tho

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

flavor.flv posted:

What's the definition of an expansion base pi? Or more specifically, there is no such thing. Base N expansions operate on N symbols finite symbols.

One can define x= a + b/pi + c/pi^2 +..., but what are the values of the "digits"? 0,1,2,3? That leaves a considerable gap and doesn't map to the real numbers.

If the "digits" are real numbers between zero (inclusive) and pi (exclusive) then the value would be (10) base pi. At which point is necessary to ask if 0.qqqqqqq=pi, where q is pi minus epsilon. :razz:

:science:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's easy, just round it down to 3

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Going through the 101 Puzzles in Logic and Thought book posted a while back. I don't know where the hell to even begin with this one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tokelau All Star posted:

Going through the 101 Puzzles in Logic and Thought book posted a while back. I don't know where the hell to even begin with this one.

Got halfways but now it's time for a shower and to get to work

Adams is now reading Davis which was brought by Brown, who must himself have brought Clark as none brought themselves. Using first letters:

A: D
B: C
C: A/B
D: A/B

Poet is reading a play, and the novelist has never read history which means they haven't switched and neither of them can be A or B:

Hist: A/B
Poet: C/D
Nov: C/D
Play: A/B

Thus

Hist/Play = C/D (or vice versa)
Poet/Nov = A/B (ditto)

But there I am stuck. There's one piece of info that I'm missing, which would probably solve the whole thing in one go lol

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Search for https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Puzzle where the usual approach is to set up the grid of all possibilities then start removing logical contradictions. Image search will give some examples.

The problem as stated has a lot of misdirection. It doesn't really matter who brought what, for example (and in this case there's no guarantee of the books being by four different authors). Pheun posting so setting up a grid with proportional fonts is ultimately impossible.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Got halfways but now it's time for a shower and to get to work

Poet is reading a play, and the novelist has never read history which means they haven't switched and neither of them can be A or B:

I say you have an incorrect conclusion here.
Poet reads play, novelist is not reading history nor novel hence read poems. Historian thus reads a novel, and the playwright reads history.

These flips would have meant someone was reading their own book initially: Hist/novel, Hist/play, poet/novel, poet/play.

That leaves Hist/poet or Novel/play as the flip, but if the novelist had flipped with the playwright then the novelist was reading history. Contradiction, ergo A/B are the historian and poet (in some order).

Moreover it can be shown that if person c is reading author B, then person a is reading C, which contradicts the book that b exchanged with a.

But as to distinguishing between these two options, it looks under determined:

If ah, then ahND, bpWC, cwHA, dnPB.
If ap, then apWD, bhNC, cnPA, dwHB.

Lowercase is who/what they are, uppercase is what/who they read. W=playWright, P=Poem.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I did a couple on paper but they're a pain to type even on a computer lol.

I figured out who reads who of the professions

pre:
Each have 3 options, and we know the Poet is reading a Play, so we cross those both horizontally and vertically.
We also know the Novelist is not reading History, so cross that:

Hist Poet Play Nov
Hist   ·         x      
Poet   x    ·    √   x  
Play             ·      
Nov    x         x   ·  

This leaves only Poems for the the Novelist to read, and thus the Historian must read a Novel,
leaving only History for the Playwright:

Hist Poet Play Nov
Hist   ·    x    x   √  Historian reads Novel
Poet   x    ·    √   x  Poet reads Play
Play   √    x    ·   x  Playwright reads Historian
Nov    x    √    x   ·  Novelist reads Poet
We know from earlier that Adams is reading Davis & Brown is reading Clark,
but I still can't figure out how to tie the names to them though. I must be overlooking some hint...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What's the definition of an expansion base pi? Or more specifically, there is no such thing. Base N expansions operate on N symbols finite symbols.

One can define x= a + b/pi + c/pi^2 +..., but what are the values of the "digits"? 0,1,2,3? That leaves a considerable gap and doesn't map to the real numbers.

If the "digits" are real numbers between zero (inclusive) and pi (exclusive) then the value would be (10) base pi. At which point is necessary to ask if 0.qqqqqqq=pi, where q is pi minus epsilon. :razz:

:science:

Irrational base number systems are totally a thing, those base phi is more interesting than base pi.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio_base

Generally anything that can possibly be generalized in math has been.

People get all upset about point nine repeating, but why should numbers only repeat kn the right side of the decimel?

Using a few reasonable* definitions, you can construct a system where numbers can extend infinitely to the left as well, with the end result that nine repeating point = -1

*to mathematicians

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Carthag Tuek posted:

I still can't figure out how to tie the names to them though. I must be overlooking some hint...
They can be reduced to pairs. After that it's likely something like "A poet would never bring a novel with them on a train! :buddy:"

Tunicate posted:

Irrational base number systems are totally a thing, those base phi is more interesting than base pi.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio_base

Generally anything that can possibly be generalized in math has been.

People get all upset about point nine repeating,...
I'll have to read to see how that's actually homomorphic to the base ten integers.

Uh, on the second point, no. Mathematicians have not generalized everything. That's why they still have stuff to research. :eng101:

My only problem with repeating nine is how far away it is from 1 over the hyper-reals.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

They can be reduced to pairs. After that it's likely something like "A poet would never bring a novel with them on a train! :buddy:"

if that is the case i want the author hanged

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Re: the Galaxy Brain logic problem and pattern problems above:

I've thankfully rarely encountered those types of problems when it comes to applying to work, but they just strike me as so unfun to do even with no time limit working against you. They seem very loose for lack of a better word, and you can't be sure if you've got it 100% right in some cases. Not to mention the times when the author makes a mistake/bad assumption, rendering the puzzle unsolvable...

Puzzle's don't have to always be easy, but some trust is needed between solver and setter. I think this piece by an indie crossword writer puts it into words nicely. While it is just about crosswords, the best puzzle writers I know of make it a point to have one solution to their puzzles that can be reached through logic or knowledge. I'm sure something similar could be said about puzzle game design as well.

On a side note, anyone do the Wall Street Journal crossword? they're usually interesting from what I understand, and they even have a contest every Friday where the winner gets a mug.

And hey, there's a new puzzlehunt in town! It's being put on online in a couple of weeks and will have 20-30 puzzles, along with presumably a couple of metas. You can have a look at the site and decide if you're interested, and maybe if there's enough buzz teams could be made.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

in the 90s they sometimes to had them in the uh "vacation activity books for bored kids" and they were my absolute favorite. crosswords are simple, rebuses (rebi?) are alright, but logic puzzles are my jam (as long as they dont require any external info to solve). also i dont think ive actually tried one of these since back then

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Carthag Tuek posted:

if that is the case i want the author hanged
I have found at least eight solutions but the most compelling is perhaps:

Clark is a novelist reading poems by Adams.
Davis is a playwright reading an history by Brown.
Adams is a poet reading a play by Davis.
Brown is an historian reading... a play by Davis.

I claim this satisfies the listed constraints because each is reading a book by one of the others, and it makes use of the point that the novelist has only written one book and is unlikely to be known or included in the reading list.

:clint:

It seems likely the author screwed up. If this is pre-computer, that seems likely. :guillotine:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

somekindofguy posted:

On a side note, anyone do the Wall Street Journal crossword? they're usually interesting from what I understand, and they even have a contest every Friday where the winner gets a mug.

I have not, just because I've never seen it when I've been searching around for crosswords. Looks interesting, I'll check it out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It seems likely the author screwed up. If this is pre-computer, that seems likely. :guillotine:

Excellent points, but reading them i just realized: "each were occupied with a book by one of the others"

thus everyone is reading Clark or Davis, except for Davis & Clark etc im too drunk to finish it :smuggo:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Sep 24, 2022

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I have found at least eight solutions but the most compelling is perhaps:

Clark is a novelist reading poems by Adams.
Davis is a playwright reading an history by Brown.
Adams is a poet reading a play by Davis.
Brown is an historian reading... a play by Davis.

I claim this satisfies the listed constraints because each is reading a book by one of the others, and it makes use of the point that the novelist has only written one book and is unlikely to be known or included in the reading list.

:clint:

FWIW the solution in the book is "Adams, the poet, was reading a play; Brown, the historian, was reading a novel; Clark, the novelist, was reading poetry; and Davis, the playwright, was reading history."

Usually there are enough clues to nail down one fact that has to be true and work from there, but in this I got as far as Adams is reading Davis' book and blanked.

The book doesn't explain any of the solutions. It also was written in 1957 so there probably wasn't much oversight (e.g. I'm 99% certain one of the earlier given puzzle solutions would only work if the problem said someone was older when the text said they were younger). A lot of the clues come in the form of 1950s era societal norms, like former roommates mean they were the same gender, all women take their husband's last names, married couple means opposite gender, etc. You know what, gently caress this book!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Uh, on the second point, no. Mathematicians have not generalized everything. That's why they still have stuff to research. :eng101:

I said generally - and if you have to do research to find something in math where it isn't true, I'd say that qualifies :pseudo:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

minato posted:

I highly recommend the youtube channel Cracking the Cryptic. It's two middle-class English guys (and puzzle champs) doing mostly Sudoku-based variants, and they always have a link to an online version of the puzzle so you can play along. I like to try the puzzle myself, and then if I get stuck I can play the video to get me past the hurdle.

A good taster is Simon taking on The Miracle Sudoku. 25 mins long, but a really stunning puzzle design.

Jumping on a post from page 1 to say thanks. I clicked this thread and watched this video out of mild curiosity despite never having even looked twice at a Sudoku puzzle before, and now I'm actually really interested in learning more. There seems to be a lot more to it than I had considered - especially with the amount of variants and specific rulesets that show up.

I've been playing a random app that I found, and despite being a beginner a lot of the Easy-Medium difficulty puzzles from it are actually quite simple to do given enough time, but I suspect I'll soon hit a wall where they'll require much more complex logic to resolve. I already saw one CTC video that had Simon explaining how the corners have to have the same digits as some other region of the grid based on Set Theory which is a lot more involved than I ever thought Sudoku could be.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Yeah, variant sudoku is where it's at. I used to buy booklets of puzzles from the convenience store, but they're so rote and boring compared with variant sudoku.

I was mulling over posting this Cracking the Cryptic video, which is insane because it's basically pointer operations (to anyone familiar with low level computer programming), and I'm surprised it has a solution at all. It's one of the rare videos where Simon opens it on camera for the first time live, and his reaction is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CafO_kB4ko

Although I'm still terrible at variant sudoku, I've really learned a lot by watching these guys. Unlike me who just throws spaghetti at the wall most of the time, they're very methodical; they have a good intuition of where to focus, and what techniques to try. And they're tenacious - most of the time I'd just give up or need a break, but they always push through.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

I was loving around with some design ideas and I inadvertently made a way to encode a message. I'm sure this will be short work goons who hang around here but I'm curious.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

first thoughts:

sloppy count is 10x18 binary grid

assuming its not ascii/utf8 but havent checked

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
is it loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

burexas.irom posted:

I was loving around with some design ideas and I inadvertently made a way to encode a message. I'm sure this will be short work goons who hang around here but I'm curious.

I think I've got it.
Solution: HMM I GIVE UP THIS ONE MAY JUST BE UNSOLVABLE
Method: