Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Nope, that's just a coincidence.

But seriously,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Just discovered this thread; thought I'd drop a few puzzle recommendations.

First, it's been mentioned a buncha times itt already but gonna reiterate that the many variant sudokus and similar puzzles featured on the Cracking the Cryptic youtube channel are fuckin great.

If you're in this thread and you've somehow never heard the name Martin Gardner, he was a writer who had a legendary column for Scientific American called "Mathematical Games" that frequently featured interesting puzzles as well as other recreational math tidbits. I worked through a compilation of his puzzles that I got from a library a few years back and had a blast. There's probably a bunch available on the internet but idk where. You might have to check a library.

And a few puzzle videogames from my Steam library:
  • Antichamber is a first-person-perspective puzzle game set in a bizarre non-Euclidean labyrinth. Figuring out the rules of the world is half the battle. The game is full of clever twists and turns.
  • FEZ is a puzzle-platformer set in a cuboidal 3D world that you experience only as a 2D plane - but you can rotate the "camera" to change perspective and modify the world. The early parts of the game are more "exploration" than "puzzle", but some of the puzzle elements you get into later are really interesting and cool.
  • SpaceChem is a puzzle game where you program a machine that manipulates "atoms" and "molecules" in order to do "chemistry" to them. Beyond solving the puzzles, the game also encourages you to optimize the solution to be either smaller or faster (or both). The creator, Zachtronics, has a number of "programming puzzle" games in this mold, but this one is my favorite.
  • Tametsi is a pure puzzle game. It's basically Minesweeper, but good. There are like 150 puzzles or so, iirc, and they are all difficult but doable.
  • The Witness is a first-person-perspective game that is mostly about solving two-dimensional maze-like puzzles that appear on panel screens scattered throughout a strange, colorful world. The puzzle design, and the visual design of the world, are top-notch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

If anyone really likes the NYT crossword, I can say that buying into their monthly games subscription has been very worthwhile. They have a good crossword app interface and you get access to their archives, so I've been enjoying way too many Sunday puzzles for a while now.

I just realized today that the archive somehow goes all the way back to late 1993, so you have an almost infinite amount of puzzles to access. Doing some of those older ones has been interesting, seeing what's the same and what's different, particularly in the cultural and technological references from 30 years ago. You still get some of the same answers showing up, like oboe, but you'll also get things like clues about '90s landline technology and more references to midcentury TV and such.

And then you'll get things like:
Clue: "Q: Who is the sole surviving ________? A: Chicken Teriyaki"
Answer: KAMIKAZE PILOT
Which is an old joke that I don't think would make it within sight of the editing room nowadays.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Going through the 101 Puzzles in Logic and Thought book posted a while back. I don't know where the hell to even begin with this one.

If you like this kind of puzzle, the game Sherlock is just that but in visual form. There's also a bunch of other, similar puzzle games on that site.

DontMockMySmock posted:

And a few puzzle videogames from my Steam library:
I was very much enjoying The Talos Principle, until it started throwing too many timing-based puzzles at me. I get extremely frustrated when I know what to do but I fail at doing it quickly enough.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tiggum posted:

I was very much enjoying The Talos Principle, until it started throwing too many timing-based puzzles at me. I get extremely frustrated when I know what to do but I fail at doing it quickly enough.

The Talos Principle was pretty good, had a few clever bits, but it had a little too much boring repetition of puzzle ideas and a little too much bullshit for me to recommend it unqualified. I really enjoyed the storyline/writing though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DontMockMySmock posted:

The Talos Principle was pretty good, had a few clever bits, but it had a little too much boring repetition of puzzle ideas and a little too much bullshit for me to recommend it unqualified. I really enjoyed the storyline/writing though.

As soon as I realised I didn't need to activate or pay attention to the plot things (which was very early on) I ignored them completely. I have absolutely no idea what the game's story is about.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
In honor of that thing next week.

Touch-device player and other versions, etc.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

I've been tinkering with another design I had in my head for a while, it's more of a gag than a puzzle but eh, someone may have some fun figuring it out.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
whoever recommended tametsi, thank you and also gently caress you

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Hey, crossword and particularly NYT crossword solvers! If you saw a clue reading

'Natural logarithm that equals one'

with the answer

LNE

would you think:
a) That's some good original cluing there! or
b) That's horseshit, keep your math out of our word games?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Hey, crossword and particularly NYT crossword solvers! If you saw a clue reading

'Natural logarithm that equals one'

with the answer

LNE

would you think:
a) That's some good original cluing there! or
b) That's horseshit, keep your math out of our word games?

That's some good original cluing there, but I've also spent way too much time doing math to be trustworthy.

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!

Tiggum posted:

If you like this kind of puzzle, the game Sherlock is just that but in visual form. There's also a bunch of other, similar puzzle games on that site.

Seconding this recommendation - I bought a bundle of games from Kaser about 15 years ago and still play them regularly (Baker Street and Mrs Hudson mostly)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's some good original cluing there, but I've also spent way too much time doing math to be trustworthy.

Well, that's encouraging because I can't find another reasonable clue for that and it's buried deep in an otherwise finished Sunday effort. Think I'll leave it in and see what they say.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

... and crossword submitted. That's my 4th try and they haven't taken any yet so we'll see how that works out. Going to put my last effort here if anyone wants a go, and if you can guess what they objected to in this one you'll win a shiny Internet point because it sure as hell wasn't either of the clues I thought might be a bit crap.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They didn't like 1 and 21 across?

ps AND 17/47 with the same clue (and same answer?)? :aaaaa:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Unkempt posted:

... and crossword submitted. That's my 4th try and they haven't taken any yet so we'll see how that works out. Going to put my last effort here if anyone wants a go, and if you can guess what they objected to in this one you'll win a shiny Internet point because it sure as hell wasn't either of the clues I thought might be a bit crap.

That's awesome. I'll give it a try if I can figure out a doable way since I don't have printer ink at the moment.

I've been doing a ton of crosswords lately and have been thinking about puzzle design. Is this all manual creation? I have no idea how people put these things together, especially once you start getting into more complex grids and things like the cleverer NYT Sunday puzzles that mess with the format.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

They didn't like 1 and 21 across?

ps AND 17/47 with the same clue (and same answer?)? :aaaaa:

They all have different answers, but it was actually 47 they objected to. I think they like stuff like using the same or related clues for different answers, it turns up quite often in late-week NYT puzzles.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's awesome. I'll give it a try if I can figure out a doable way since I don't have printer ink at the moment.

I've been doing a ton of crosswords lately and have been thinking about puzzle design. Is this all manual creation? I have no idea how people put these things together, especially once you start getting into more complex grids and things like the cleverer NYT Sunday puzzles that mess with the format.

https://www.jmviz.dev/Phil/

is the one I've been using, it does default weekday/sunday NYT crossword grids with the usual symmetry, it has a dictionary that gives you suggestions for blank entries and it pumps out a properly formatted pdf for submissions when you're done. All very handy and the right price.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Unkempt posted:

They all have different answers, but it was actually 47 they objected to. I think they like stuff like using the same or related clues for different answers, it turns up quite often in late-week NYT puzzles.

What's objectionable about that? It made perfect sense to me.

But I do have an objection to its partner, 17 across; it should be lower-case c.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

What's objectionable about that? It made perfect sense to me.

quote:

We're sorry to say that this puzzle wasn't one of the few selected for publication. It's solid work overall, but the bar for themeless puzzles is extremely high these days due to our large backlog of submissions. Themeless entries should be familiar as standalone words and phrases, so answers like ROMAN ONE HUNDRED, while inferable and cleverly clued, wouldn't be accepted.

We appreciated the opportunity to review your work, and we look forward to seeing more of your submissions in the future.  

Got to say I don't really get it.

quote:

But I do have an objection to its partner, 17 across; it should be lower-case c.

Oh my god you're completely right :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Unkempt posted:

https://www.jmviz.dev/Phil/

is the one I've been using, it does default weekday/sunday NYT crossword grids with the usual symmetry, it has a dictionary that gives you suggestions for blank entries and it pumps out a properly formatted pdf for submissions when you're done. All very handy and the right price.

Interesting, thanks! :tipshat:

And yeah, I'm not surprised it wasn't those ones, they sure like their clue pairs.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I posted a big thing about it upthread, lemme see if I can find it

Edit found it! Phil is great BTW. Unkempt, hope it gets accepted! I need to start building again.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Making crosswords is fun! There's actually a pretty neat series the NYT put out on how to create crossword puzzles. I've also linked a specific article on tools which I found was helpful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/14/crosswords/how-to-make-a-crossword-puzzle-the-series.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/crosswords/how-to-make-crossword-puzzle-grid.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article -> we'll cover tools in a minute

Initial caveat: I'm just some dummy, there are probably people here much more successful that just don't happen to be in the thread atm. This is my process, it's probably suboptimal

1. Starting your crossword

I generally start my process by thinking up stupid puns. The goal being to come up with a theme, not necessarily for the puzzle as a whole but just for the major clues across the board. Wordplay is frequently involved, but it's not that way for every crossword, obviously. I just like coming up with wordplay puzzles for the major clues. For example, on a recent puzzle I decided I wanted to explore spoonerisms.

Here is the key clue that gives a hint to my starred or theme clues:
A certain slip of the tongue... or a hint to 19-, 31-, and 41- across? (10) SPOONERISM

I came up with three clues that would serve as my wordplay clues:
A crazy person.. or a funereal foundation? (10) - CASKETBASE
Tend the front lawn... or increase the vicar's headcount? (11) - GROWTHEMASS
Use the plumbing... or rock the castle? (11) - SHAKEATOWER

Notice that I had to balance my clue numbers - two clues with 11 letters, and one with 10 to offset my key clue.

2. Building the grid

Once I had the basic theme, it was time to start building the grid. There's a lot of different ways to construct grids, but my favorite tool for actually building the final product is a free online applet called Phil : http://www.keiranking.com/apps/phil/. In terms of ease of construction, phil is awesome - it can even export in proper formats that can be submitted to places like the NYT. I like Phil because you can also download both a PDF export but also the crossword file itself, so you can load your work back into Phil and continue even though it's all online.

Phil can generate patterns for you, but you can also go in and selectively edit squares to be black and white. Symmetry is turned on by default, but you can definitely turn it off to build weird grids for custom purposes. For my spoonerism puzzle, I generated a few patterns to see how they caught me and finally settled on one that I could change up a bit to fit my big answers.

Notice I left myself with some issues - namely filling in these monster-sized clues at the top left and bottom right of the grid. But that's okay, that's future me's problem. First things first, jam my theme clues in.

Now it's time to build off those and get the puzzle complete. I usually just start typing words and building up the grid from those, using my own wits to come up with most of the clues. I admit, however, I am no genius, and need help with the corners. To note, Phil will only help you with construction, it doesn't have the solver abilities of other (paid) construction apps. What is a solver? It's a neat bit of programming that will look through a dictionary and come up with a set of words that fit the constraints you give it. As you can imagine, you can't really apply this to an empty or even partially complete whole grid, as it's way too open in terms of possible words. I only use solves for the corners, and then only when I really get myself stuck.

In terms of paid constructors, I like crossfire: http://beekeeperlabs.com/crossfire/. Even without paying for Crossfire, you can still (for free) use their powerful solver.

Here's a screenshot of my filled grid in Crossfire - I axed the top right corner to show the context I gave the solver. With the "quick fill" option you see there, Crossfire will pop in (if possible) words that will fit the constraints. What's cool about Crossfire too is that as you type it will suggest words/letters that fit your constraints without actually needing to use the Quick Fill.

3. Writing clues

I love writing clues. Once you have all your answers, you can use your wits to make the puzzle as difficult or as easy as you'd like. I usually make a first pass and have either my wife or one of my smarter friends edit them for me. I don't always make sense, and part of it is making sure you're not being so coy that people will think you're an rear end in a top hat.

Some examples:
hard:
Convincingly diverting (10) - DISSUASIVE
Traditional Vietnamese garment (5) AODAI

That second one? It's a bullshit clue / answer. One of my big challenges is that the solver will give me awkward, difficult words. Your options are to blow up the grid or roll with it. So sometimes you're just going for whatever the dictionary definition of a word is, like ERSE : Gaelic Language

Easy:
Garfunkel of folk fame (3) - ART
The A of an IPA (3) - ALE

And there's many in between. I find that I am good at coming up with individual clues, but trying to come up with a difficulty bell curve is tough. Typically I end up having four murder-hard clues and then overcorrect with something like "first three letters of the ABCs" :doh:

One puzzle in particular I'm trying to work out involves two different sets of star names (Rigel, Vega, Betelgeuse, Sirius) and having two pairs of them cross in different parts of the puzzle. I then plan on making another major clue using these "starred" clues - ROMEO AND JULIET WERE THIS (11) "Star Crossed"

For the starred clues, I came up with dumb stuff like "First name in horror (BETEGEUSE)" and "Last name in crime (VEGA)". It's fun to have multiple connections rolling through the puzzle. All told, this process can take a long time, hours, to get everything put together, and even then it's not always the best-constructed puzzle.

4. Submitting your puzzle (for money!)

I someday would love to get a puzzle accepted by the NYT. You can submit puzzles to a bunch of different places. Note that they have specific submission guidelines, so make sure you follow those: https://www.nytimes.com/article/submit-crossword-puzzles-the-new-york-times.html

So yeah, that's building crosswords for you. As I mentioned there's many ways to do it but this is how I do it. I'm sure some purist somewhere with their worn down pencil and notebook is freaking out :D

sephiRoth IRA has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Feb 18, 2023

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0004370276900199

I remember crossword generator source code in C going back at least 20 years; I certainly used it for newsletters in 2007 though I can't claim to remember using it before then for others. Based on the cross references, I'm sure it was a fun programming exercise by the 80s. I'll have to check with my Algol friend.

Mathematics research likely is from the 40s or 50s but would take some digging. Primary choices are a fixed grid versus optimizing placements on an open grid. Classic generators would obviously start with a much smaller word list.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Unkempt posted:

I think I got it. Apologies for the janky lettering, typing manually in a separate photoshop layer was the best I could come up with.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Overall, it was a good level of doable without being frustrating. It took me about 40 minutes, I think, and there were just a couple stumpers I had to look up at the end to get the last couple words in. A few particular thoughts:

- 17a/47a: I liked those. I see what they mean that the latter is a descriptor rather than a known phrase, but personally I don't care about that.
- 37d/43a: These ones got filled in on their own. I don't know the mythology at all for the former, and for the latter I had too many made-up sounds that could fit the middle letters that I couldn't guess it.
- Where I got stuck: I filled in 12d last with BIGLAPSE, where the two bold letters were the missing ones, and I couldn't think of anything else that fit. This got 21a wrong LEW instead of PEW and 27a JAPNE instead of JAUNE. They were obviously incorrect, but I couldn't think of anything else so I looked up 27a, which turned out to be a word I'm surprised doesn't seem familiar.

Anyway, I had fun and got most of the way there on my own, thanks for posting it!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A redditor created an open-source/self-hosted crossword creation tool as well, Exet, which I look forward to trying out soon in addition to the options posted above

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I did it, I finally created my very first crossword puzzle :toot:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Captain Hygiene posted:

I did it, I finally created my very first crossword puzzle :toot:

now I can finally tell people I've completed a crossword puzzle in under 5 seconds

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yes, the forums really are a FART ORB if you think about it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NOT COOL

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I hate crossword puzzles.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah yes, MOD KNOW

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

GOON POO

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

burexas.irom posted:

I've been tinkering with another design I had in my head for a while, it's more of a gag than a puzzle but eh, someone may have some fun figuring it out.

Sorry to bump my own post but I would really like to know if this was so obvious that nobody bothered replying or is it unsolved?

I'm asking because I made it as a t-shirt design, but most of the feedback I got from friends/other designers is "too obscure" but I figured since the actual target audience is smartypants nerds this would be the ideal place to test it.

I would really appreciate the feedback, thanks.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I have no idea what it is. I briefly looked at it, but there were too many possibilities to explore and no clue to pick a direction. I don't know if it means a word, a phrase, a number, or something else. If it's a pop-culture reference, or a science reference, or literature, or whatever. If the red dot important because it's red, or just because it's colored differently.

I'm sure it'll be head-slappingly obvious in hindsight, but then it always is.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks, this is the first version that I (likely wrongly) thoguht was too obvious.

In any case, it's the topological equivalent of "I ❤️ TOPOLOGY".

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

burexas.irom posted:

Thanks, this is the first version that I (likely wrongly) thoguht was too obvious.

In any case, it's the topological equivalent of "I ❤️ TOPOLOGY".

If those are standard symbols in topology, then maybe? Otherwise I don't think there's a person on the planet who'd get that without some sort of clue.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I could've maybe recognized the "I ♥️ something" layout from the original, but with no idea what it was referencing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

an alternate design where it starts out with regular I <3 and then gradually becomes circles/holes might work (although no longer a riddle i guess)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I get the solution now that you've said it, but only because i've watched the topology video from VSauce like twice. I think most people won't even know how that riddle relates to topology (or what that is) unless you explain it to them, much less suspect it has anything to do with topology at all unless it's presented in some kind of context with it.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah I did a couple on paper but they're a pain to type even on a computer lol.

I figured out who reads who of the professions

pre:
Each have 3 options, and we know the Poet is reading a Play, so we cross those both horizontally and vertically.
We also know the Novelist is not reading History, so cross that:

Hist Poet Play Nov
Hist   ·         x      
Poet   x    ·    √   x  
Play             ·      
Nov    x         x   ·  

This leaves only Poems for the the Novelist to read, and thus the Historian must read a Novel,
leaving only History for the Playwright:

Hist Poet Play Nov
Hist   ·    x    x   √  Historian reads Novel
Poet   x    ·    √   x  Poet reads Play
Play   √    x    ·   x  Playwright reads Historian
Nov    x    √    x   ·  Novelist reads Poet
We know from earlier that Adams is reading Davis & Brown is reading Clark,
but I still can't figure out how to tie the names to them though. I must be overlooking some hint...

I know this is from ages ago but to not leave this puzzle unjustly maligned, this solution provides the names too: We know Brown swapped Davis' book to Adams, and the text tells us that the poet is reading a play, making Adams the poet and Davis the playwright. Brown's reading a novel so Clark must be the novelist, leaving Brown as the historian.

Edit: Nevermind actually, I got caught up on trying to figure out if there's actually no solution to the latter part of the riddle that my awful working memory somehow thought that Adams being the poet was somehow a known quantity and not just known from OP posting the answer from the book, I'm a dumbass :owned:

Blunt Instrument has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Feb 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

minato posted:

I have no idea what it is. I briefly looked at it, but there were too many possibilities to explore
Big same. Even seeing "topology" (but not the solution) I couldn't come up with anything*. Knowing the solution I was able to get there after two more runs through. I have a master's in mathematics. :) (Though my specialization was not topology.)

Yes wearing it in a math dept might work, but absent doughnuts and coffee cups the audience will be limited.

* Rather I came up with too many things.

ps Just start gang tagging it all over the whiteboards and see if it spreads enough for it to become a thing. :3:

PhantomOfTheCopier has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Feb 21, 2023