Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Book
Audio Book

Looking forward to the discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Enhanced Edition. Nice, I hate having to get the DLC separately.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Anything I need to know before hopping into this?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

gonna listen to this while I play death stranding

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's a good read, and Lenin is a great writer. Stickied and maybe we can organize discussions by chapter or section.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

No spoilers plz.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Anything I need to know before hopping into this?

There was a little thing called "War World 1" that happened. Perhaps read up on that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I said no spoilers!

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
"Highest"? Pfft my man never heard Fight Song.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starting to get the sense that inventors/patents were the original unicorn startups.

Edit: Or more like that there is so much capital available today that instead of just producing a single bespoke machine, a whole functioning business can be produced before a conglomerate swoops in and buys it up.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Mar 7, 2022

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

It’s a good book OP

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

if you like to listen to other people summarize and critique works I recommend Red Menace's episode on this, it's pretty good and helped me understand it better

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Idk man that looks like Russian propaganda

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Good book that made me learn that "imperialism" doesn't just mean 'one country invades another, for some reason'

A bit drier than state and rev though, more maths

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah, I started reading today and he used an awful lot of data to prove how fast and sure monopolies grew; as if by fate.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dreylad posted:

It's a good read, and Lenin is a great writer. Stickied and maybe we can organize discussions by chapter or section.

How about you discuss ligma

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dreylad posted:

Wouldn't mind getting acquainted with the classics.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
if concentration of production leads to monopolies, what does that say about the free marketplace of ideas?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

if concentration of production leads to monopolies, what does that say about the free marketplace of ideas?

the means of communication obey the means of production, so...

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Fleetwood posted:

That you should declare bankruptcy nerd

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the means of communication obey the means of production, so...

Then all ideas will inevitably be consolidated into a single monopoly:

Tik tok.

snaj
Oct 10, 2005
cant stop the beat

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Then all ideas will inevitably be consolidated into a single monopoly:

Tik tok.

china stays winning

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I always liked this snippet:

quote:

American ethics”, which the European professors and well-meaning bourgeois so hypocritically deplore, have, in the age of finance capital, become the ethics of literally every large city in any country.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Posting a book by a Russian? That's a loving cancelling you bloodthirsty imperialist

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

some plague rats posted:

Posting a book by a Russian? That's a loving cancelling you bloodthirsty imperialist

CSPAM is a pro putin subforum.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

putin the U back in USSR

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

excited to re read this bad boy

is there any sort of schedule with this thing? a chapter a week or w/e?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The book is ~200 pages, how long does does it generally take for people to read that much?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
At least 10 months

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The book is ~200 pages, how long does does it generally take for people to read that much?

just didn't know if you were looking for a more structured discussion or what

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I think reading Lenin's opening chapters about monopolies and banks along with this Micheal Hudson article that was posted in the Ukraine War thread, about the three cartels that run the US, helped me a lot
https://michael-hudson.com/2022/02/america-defeats-germany-for-the-third-time-in-a-century/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

just didn't know if you were looking for a more structured discussion or what

I was genuinely curious, it takes me about a week to read that much. I usually read for a couple of minutes before bed.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Beyond just the time to read it, I think it might also just be more fun to read it and talk about it with other people. That way I don't have to figure out what to think for myself.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hand Knit posted:

Beyond just the time to read it, I think it might also just be more fun to read it and talk about it with other people. That way I don't have to figure out what to think for myself.

Mm good idea. I will wait for the chapo reading series

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Fleetwood posted:

I think reading Lenin's opening chapters about monopolies and banks along with this Micheal Hudson article that was posted in the Ukraine War thread, about the three cartels that run the US, helped me a lot
https://michael-hudson.com/2022/02/america-defeats-germany-for-the-third-time-in-a-century/

I really liked parts of this article, especially describing the three oligarchies that run the US and why they want war. But I really don’t like this spiel about Putin as some angel trying to liberate the poor Ukrainians out of the goodness of his heart and eliminate nukes like a hippie. I feel like this board forgets that it’s possible that both sides can be imperialist.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I was genuinely curious, it takes me about a week to read that much. I usually read for a couple of minutes before bed.

Oh lol yeah I think anyone could knock it out in a few days but Lenin is an excellent writer who can get a lot across without wasting words and there's a lot of meat in Imperialism, so I think at least a week/chapter is pretty reasonable to give most people time to read and, more importantly imo, digest.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

paul_soccer12 posted:

At least 10 months

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

I feel like the prediction that Russia will withdraw within a week has already aged poorly. It's an interesting read though, especially the theory of three primary monopolies in the United States. There are certainly more than just three, but he may be right about those being the top three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Oh lol yeah I think anyone could knock it out in a few days but Lenin is an excellent writer who can get a lot across without wasting words and there's a lot of meat in Imperialism, so I think at least a week/chapter is pretty reasonable to give most people time to read and, more importantly imo, digest.

A chapter a week + discussion after seems pretty good. Since it's already the end of the week we can start next week with chapter 1.