Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
There's a difference between demand and production. If you think ford is making more MACH E's than any of their other models you are sadly mistaken. Just talking out of my rear end but I've been working in the industry for over a decade. And people BARELY want EVs in the US as a whole. Why do you think ford all but stopped making cars and switched to trucks and SUVs save for the iconic mustang?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Lmao excellent snipe

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"bmw i3 off roading" yielded no results

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I test drove a Mach-E GT a few weeks ago. Really liked it. They let me launch it too which was fun.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

interwhat posted:

There's a difference between demand and production. If you think ford is making more MACH E's than any of their other models you are sadly mistaken. Just talking out of my rear end but I've been working in the industry for over a decade. And people BARELY want EVs in the US as a whole. Why do you think ford all but stopped making cars and switched to trucks and SUVs save for the iconic mustang?

Cars are on the way out. Zoomers don't want to learn how to drive and are going to kill the car industry. They are all too busy playing on their Switches.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
I'm okay with paying a bit extra at the pump if that is the cost of aiding (for lack of a better term) Ukraine. I like the look of evs but the cost and infrastructure here are not great.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Finally, all the men who "roll coal" in their Ram 3500s with their "REDNEX WITH PAYCHEX" bumper stickers will feel the stinging rapier of late stage capitalism. Tee hee!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
We already did this:

Allen West posted:

People have asked me before is there any area where I could praise President Obama? Certainly, he has an impeccable penchant for understanding the power of the bully pulpit. President Obama is also very adept at promulgating deceptive language masquerading as policy, actually just insidious political gimmickry. This "tax policy" is an example as well as today's speech on his "energy policy" shall be. Here is the bottom line, last night it took 70 dollars to fill the tank of my 2008 H3 Hummer, what is it costing you? What does it cost the President to fill his gas tank?

23 gallon gas tank, 14MPG city.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
I simply use public transportation

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

WaryWarren posted:

I hope it hits $10/gallon, make the brodozers and SUV owners hurt.

I'm poor and drive an old Carolla why do you hate me

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Woah woah woah! I may have made poor decisions time and again but I shouldn't have to bear these costs!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I saw a man with a MAGA hat roll up to a BP in his Ford Excursion, get out, throw his hat on the ground, pick it back up, and throw it back on the ground again.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Chromatic posted:

The Adam Carolla?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

This Putin business of bombing his neighbor is getting nasty at the pump

the sooner the US/Europe can get more ethical freedom gas from Saudi Arabia, the better

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Chromatic posted:

Good news, old Corollas are one of the best donor cars to convert to electric, as they have a low curb weight and great aerodynamics.

While looking for conversions I found some dudes who did an EV conversion by welding an outboard motor then hose-clamping some battery cables to the terminals, loving brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiO1HeeWETo

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

precision posted:

its not very nice! :mad:

:wrong:

:69snypa:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Zero VGS posted:

Good news, old Corollas are one of the best donor cars to convert to electric, as they have a low curb weight and great aerodynamics.

While looking for conversions I found some dudes who did an EV conversion by welding an outboard motor then hose-clamping some battery cables to the terminals, loving brilliant:

The concept is cool the guys in the video are mostly annoying as heck and all try to be "the funny one" whenever the camera is on them.

Gregoire
Feb 3, 2014
I remember when March was typically a low gas price month.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Remember when gas hit like 1.00$/L and everyone was putting locks on fuel caps like it was gonna be Mad Max?

Man, did they gently caress up on that one.

e: 1$ per tub or whatever the US measurement is

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

electric cars are the future and all, but if they don't have autopilot it definitely knocks off futuristic points.

i don't care that much about being green; have you seen the doomsday clock? we're screwed and dying off before the halfway point of this century.

tesla hates right to repair so i can't trust them fully, ever.

we'll never fully go away from fossil fuels because industries that transport goods rely on them.

hydrogen cars are doomed to fail and that "gas" is way expensive. those things are just
hybrids that use a different form of gas, they need to quit calling them "electric" cars.
~$100 for a tank to go 250 miles? no thanks.

i drive a gas hybrid and also have openpilot; I'll never give up my open source autonomous driving system on any future car i have for the next, i dunno, hopeful two cars I'll own in the future before humanity ceases to exist.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

It's still under $4 here

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's 3.69 at the gas station I work at, but shiiiit.

My co-worker is also flipping out about gas prices in Cali. She gets really hyped up about this gas line that apparently Biden shut off. I guess he needs to turn it back on. Like chill out lady what's complaining to me going to do? Do you want me to call him for you? I'm trying to make these 6 doller sandwiches.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Bizarre that people think in terms of X$ per Y amount as opposed to the actual price; which is ecological disaster whether or not you have ever posessed a car or anything to do with internal combustion engines.
but anyway, vroom vroom. eh?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It makes sense because all of our gas comes from Ukraine.

You know what gas does come from Ukraine?

Neon.

You know what neon is used for? Not lights, that's argon. Semiconductors.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-car-delays-and-semiconductor-shortage-to-worsen-amid-russia-ukraine-conflict/

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

cardedagain posted:

do you drive an hour to work every day?

Over an hour each way, yes.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Zero VGS posted:

Surely something the average old Corolla owner has the desire and ability to undertake.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Treecko posted:

It's 3.69 at the gas station I work at, but shiiiit.

My co-worker is also flipping out about gas prices in Cali. She gets really hyped up about this gas line that apparently Biden shut off. I guess he needs to turn it back on. Like chill out lady what's complaining to me going to do? Do you want me to call him for you? I'm trying to make these 6 doller sandwiches.

I’m sorry about your co-worker’s brain injury.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's time we just raid Russia and steal their loving oil. gently caress it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

cardedagain posted:

electric cars are the future and all, but if they don't have autopilot it definitely knocks off futuristic points.

i don't care that much about being green; have you seen the doomsday clock? we're screwed and dying off before the halfway point of this century.

we'll never fully go away from fossil fuels because industries that transport goods rely on them.

hydrogen cars are doomed to fail and that "gas" is way expensive. those things are just
hybrids that use a different form of gas, they need to quit calling them "electric" cars.

i drive a gas hybrid and also have openpilot; I'll never give up my open source autonomous driving system on any future car i have for the next, i dunno, hopeful two cars I'll own in the future before humanity ceases to exist.

hey, thanks a lot for this post it really hit home and I really felt it as a pile of nonsense mismatched words and sentence fragments meaningful only to you as you wrote it. Really moving.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Yeah high gas prices kinda suck.

Balancing it out by driving less overall and favoring my gas-sipping hatchback instead of my SUV.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My car cost almost $50 to fill and I don't care

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

cardedagain posted:

electric cars aren't the future. bicycles and trains are the future. cars in general (whether ice or not) take a gently caress load of resources to build - thousands of pounds of steel and plastic each, to say nothing of the scarce materials like rare earth metals demanded by modern evs - and also even more to maintain with infrastructure. a truly obscene amount of concrete, steel and asphalt to create a hellish, barren landscape when not populated by cars. possibly the worst effect automobiles have on society isn't our grossly inefficient use of resources in building and supporting them, but on our psyche in integrating them into our lives as a mandatory, daily use tool. cars separate us from each other and from nature. between driving on roads in your isolated box where you're free to rage at the other cars rather than seeing them as humans, constructing mcmansions with big driveways and garages and long wide roads to service them (ensuring you never have to come in contact with your neighbours), and designing a form of travel in your life which safely isolates you from nature, automobiles have helped promote a selfish, individualistic mindset of the world. while co2 output is obviously a problem in the modern world (or rather, the imbalance between co2 emissions and sinks on earth), the gas from the exhaust pipe is only one problem of many that cars create, and evs will not solve most of them

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

"bmw i3 off roading" yielded no results

modern wrc cars are 3 cyl hybrids tho which is pretty cool. they make up to 380 hp

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

CADPAT posted:

Remember when gas hit like 1.00$/L and everyone was putting locks on fuel caps like it was gonna be Mad Max?

Man, did they gently caress up on that one.

e: 1$ per tub or whatever the US measurement is

my rx7 came with one factory standard because of the 1979 gas crisis lol. shits coming full circle

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Every car I’ve owned since 2001 had/has a button inside to unlock the filler door.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Every car I’ve owned since 2001 had/has a button inside to unlock the filler door.

yeah but we're talking about a literal key lock on the fuel cap, not the door

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah i haven't had a gas door that didn't require pulling a lever inside the car since my 86 Sunbird

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The only vehicle I've ever owned like that was a motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

gleebster posted:

The only vehicle I've ever owned like that was a motorcycle.

the 70s/early 80s were a wild time man