Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

pixaal posted:

Because people are thinking I gotta leave my house to fuel my car like they are going to pump the volts in in 4 minutes like they do gas instead of charge it for 12 hours a week. Also if you plan drive to vacation spots around the country with it, you need someplace to charge it. Or business travel, but I assume for business you can find a gas car or get a place that offers charging.

You can rent a car.

I'm not saying that an electric car works for everybody right now, but every upper-middle class couple with two cars should have at least one electric car in the next couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Lol how's rolling coal treating everyone now?

Weirdly, if you had a coal-powered vehicle you'd be doing even worse?

Oil is up 55% for the year, coal is over 200% :psyduck:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

it broke the 2008 record today and is still flying up. it's going to really pop now that we're cutting off russia (which i am also fine with and approve of, we just really need some government money to help cover the surge until it's back under control).

If I were president I’d tell the oil companies to cap their fuckin profits for a year and take their fuckin C-level bonuses out of the trillion dollars they got stashed away overseas and if you lay off a single fuckin person making less than $150k annually I’m gonna fine you $1 billion per event and that’s your best fuckin offer because what should really happen is your heads on a fuckin pike but I’m feeling generous right now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If I were president I’d tell the oil companies to cap their fuckin profits for a year and take their fuckin C-level bonuses out of the trillion dollars they got stashed away overseas and if you lay off a single fuckin person making less than $150k annually I’m gonna fine you $1 billion per event and that’s your best fuckin offer because what should really happen is your heads on a fuckin pike but I’m feeling generous right now.

let's run together in 2024. I'm sure we'll get shot in the back of the head by "an unknown assailant" within 2 weeks.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah!

And change the national anthem!! It loving sucks.

Flag too.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
drat i picked a bad year to leave the oil & gas industry

all well i guess my soul and dignity is worth something

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kntfkr posted:

Yeah!

And change the national anthem!! It loving sucks.

Flag too.

Well I’m gonna add a few stars to the flag for PR and Somoa maybe a few more territories if there’s time. What you thinking for the anthem?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

one of the reasons democracy and capitalism don't work well together is that we have tons of stupid laws that protect corpos from being told what to do

it's real dumb

capitalism is loving garbage

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My usual errands trip 1-2x per week is upwards of 150-200 miles all the way around. To the best of my understanding, I'd be really lucky to get all of that in a full charge and then what do I do if I get home and there's another 100+ mile emergency waiting for me? There are very, very few charging stations on the GA/SC border. Like, I think there's maybe 3-4 total in Augusta and there are 0 down where I am.

Cheap EVs have 200+ mile range these days, and more expensive stuff like a tesla does 300-400.

(I definitely think there is a place for efficient gas & hybrids, especially in rural areas. But very few people put 200 miles into their weekly shopping trip.)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Klyith posted:

But very few people put 200 miles into their weekly shopping trip.

yeah, I realize that. I even said that. But the lovely mileage range/charging time is what stops me from getting one. If I could just trade out batteries at a local "fueling" station or some poo poo, sure.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
i've considered buying an ev but i can't bring myself to buy a car that it is mandatory to bring it to a mechanic to service :(

who makes the most basic, no-frills ev? can i gut the stupid "features" from it and replace it with a homebrew ecu easily? anyone know anything about this?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
One of those e-bikes probably

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yeah, I realize that. I even said that. But the lovely mileage range/charging time is what stops me from getting one. If I could just trade out batteries at a local "fueling" station or some poo poo, sure.

You don't realize how much the batteries in these cars weigh in total do you? Did you know Tesla uses the battery casing for part of the car's structure?

Just how do you plan to swap out a 1,000lb battery?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How often do you buy gas two days in a row?

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

pixaal posted:

You don't realize how much the batteries in these cars weigh in total do you? Did you know Tesla uses the battery casing for part of the car's structure?

Just how do you plan to swap out a 1,000lb battery?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-24/battery-swapping-for-evs-is-big-in-china-here-s-how-it-works

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

you think thats bad? i drive a top fuel funny car and have to replace my engine every time i go down the block.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

numberoneposter posted:

you think thats bad? i drive a top fuel funny car and have to replace my engine every time i go down the block.

lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i can't drive 55 because i need to maximize my miles per gallon in today's economic and geopolitical landscape

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Sammy Haggar is truly the greatest social protest musician of our time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone do the needful and make these stickers so I can buy them:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i've considered buying an ev but i can't bring myself to buy a car that it is mandatory to bring it to a mechanic to service :(

who makes the most basic, no-frills ev? can i gut the stupid "features" from it and replace it with a homebrew ecu easily? anyone know anything about this?

Even the most basic production-run EVs are going to have some amount of computer-talking-to-battery-management-system shenanigans that put them beyond casual DIY garage repairs without at least a few specialized diagnostic tools.

If you want an EV where you can work on everything yourself, buy someone's conversion. When someone converts a gas car to electric, you're dealing with aftermarket brands that are more open and have a phone number where you can call for DIY support. Examples such as Kelly Controller, or Orion Systems BMS, or Elcon chargers. These have extensive documentation and forums. It's like the Linux of EVs, for better or worse.

Here's an example site with EV classifieds. Some are ripoffs and some are steals. Often there's stuff under $5000 where it runs but the batteries are dated; you can always upgrade the batteries by putting in some packs from a totaled Tesla Model S and have some big range. http://evfinder.com/classifieds.htm

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 8, 2022

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
just filled up from 1/2 full earlier since i had to drive today. $5.50 at COSTCO. :D

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I don’t even super mind the fact that electric cars can’t be repaired on my own cuz those are complex as gently caress. My real concerns are that it takes forever to charge, there’s a Zillion charging standards, and there’s not nearly enough places to charge while on the road

I figure if anything I’d get a hybrid so I can always switch to gas if I have to

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Gutcruncher posted:

I don’t even super mind the fact that electric cars can’t be repaired on my own cuz those are complex as gently caress. My real concerns are that it takes forever to charge, there’s a Zillion charging standards, and there’s not nearly enough places to charge while on the road

I figure if anything I’d get a hybrid so I can always switch to gas if I have to

DC charging is really fast (like a phone, it is 0% to 80% in under 30 minutes), and at this point in the US, 95% of them are either the Tesla plug or SAE Combo like the Chevy Bolt uses. Nissan Leaf insisted on the Glorious Nippon standard of CHAdeMO for a while, but they gave up on it in 2020. So if you buy something in the last few years with DC charging it's just Tesla or the other one. Either has enough chargers going down the major highways to drive cross-country comfortably.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Rapidly pushing society to ev’s will probably bring additional warfare to the cobalt and other mining operations’ countries. We don’t have enough raw material for every person with a ice to have an ev.

Let the battery wars begin!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

invest in uranium companies now

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

If every hybrid on the market wasn't bullshit for cargo space, I'd absolutely get one. I am literally car shopping at the moment because my dependable bud is having some problems. But there's nothing that is both a hybrid with good cargo space and not $70k (which is insane for a vehicle).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Zero VGS posted:

DC charging is really fast (like a phone, it is 0% to 80% in under 30 minutes)

Like I get they’re far better than the olden days but the last thing I wanna do when I’m running out of “gas” on a trip is hold my dick for a half hour to not even get a full tank

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If every hybrid on the market wasn't bullshit for cargo space, I'd absolutely get one. I am literally car shopping at the moment because my dependable bud is having some problems. But there's nothing that is both a hybrid with good cargo space and not $70k (which is insane for a vehicle).

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Literally everyone I know personally drives an F-350 quad cab and they refuse to touch their dick to aim their piss or wipe their butt because only a gay man would touch a man's penis or butt. Their F-350 quad cabs are entirely full of piss and poo poo, so instead of getting 12mpg they're only getting 7 due to the added weight. The weight of all their piss and poo poo.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:lol:

Chief McHeath posted:

Literally everyone I know personally drives an F-350 quad cab and they refuse to touch their dick to aim their piss or wipe their butt because only a gay man would touch a man's penis or butt. Their F-350 quad cabs are entirely full of piss and poo poo, so instead of getting 12mpg they're only getting 7 due to the added weight. The weight of all their piss and poo poo.

what about the weight of the cum

surely there is also cum in there

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Gutcruncher posted:

Like I get they’re far better than the olden days but the last thing I wanna do when I’m running out of “gas” on a trip is hold my dick for a half hour to not even get a full tank

You don't wanna take a 30 minute break on the highway every 3-4 hours? Not even for tuggin'?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The Rav4 hybrid comes to mind, it's pretty big and base price for the 2022 is $29k

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that's what i have and it's great

it's not a plugin hybrid but it gets good mileage

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lol at the several goons coming in to say they'd consider EVs but NOT because they're green. Lol its okay nobody is gonna take your bitcoin if you admit to caring about the environment a little bit.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
buying an ev because you care about the environment is extremely dubious anyway (and fraught with a list of caveats a mile long). they're better than ice cars in almost every way but they're still fundamentally bad for the environment

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

The Rav4 hybrid comes to mind, it's pretty big and base price for the 2022 is $29k

The Rav4 is gorgeous. Unfortunately, it lacks the height I need for hay, livestock, etc. We drove one but it has the same problem the forester does; too short in the cab even with the seats folded down. I need like, the Transit Connect to put out a hybrid. I'm really aware that my specific needs aren't typical for most commuters, though, I'd still like to see longer mileage in between charges if at all possible. I assume it's coming and I'm very on-board for electric and hybrid vehicles. There's just a real big gap in them for what I'm in need of.

To the best of my knowledge, there are also no hybrid minivans.

E: Oh huh, no, I'm super wrong about that. There are hybrid minivans! Cool!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i want an ev so i can smoke turds with their VTEC nonsense :blastu:

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
I miss living where I could bike everywhere. Moved a year ago and had to get a car when I moved. We're at $4.15 here in Virginia. Even now I don't drive a whole lot, only about once a month. Last time I filled up my car gas was $3.59. I keep a log in a notebook everytime I fill my car up. loving wild.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you care about environment you shouldn't have a car :byewhore:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

buying an ev because you care about the environment is extremely dubious anyway (and fraught with a list of caveats a mile long). they're better than ice cars in almost every way but they're still fundamentally bad for the environment

Yeah I get this, really more just commenting on the tech-bro mindset that pops up whenever anyone starts discussing EVs. i.e. Its okay to like something because its cool and new but you have to actively sneer at any possible benefit other's might garner. It's why tech-bros keeps trying to reinvent trains. The obvious social benefit is too great and the technology is too old for them to be appealing. It has to glow or levitate or their dicks cant get hard.

I work in planning. Traffic and parking are massive aspects of this and literally everything is designed for cars. Cities have started to try to retrofit bike lanes and make requirements for bike parking and "End of trip" (showers/lockers), but even within central business districts people still have the mentality that they should be able to drive their personal vehicle and park directly in front of a place of interest as of right. Its incredibly hard to retro-fit cities and assume a more human scale.

The worst offenders imho are the inner ring suburbs that have designed/zoned themselves as "walkable neighborhoods" and push commercial interests right up to the street but still have parking at the rear. It's a Band-Aid solution that gives the illusion of human scaling while still conceding to the almighty car.

Unfortunately creating human scaled environments connected by cheap, reliable public transit generally requires regional collaboration. I was happy to get to work on one such project this year for bus rapid transit featuring an all-electric fleet and solar powered rapid charging. I couldn't see something like it working in the US though considering the general disdain for public spending and any semblance of regionalism being shouted down as literal communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Im guessing thats usd? $41k here in Aus, just to clarify.