Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bachelard rear end posted:

I was a little disappointed we didn’t get to see them scramble to lie about the mud and blood more. Hai even said to Lydia that the blood was his own, which seems really easily disproven if someone were to press him on it, but it never came up.

Was also interesting that because of the Jackson segment, there was also no fallout shown with the 3 that went to do the prisoners dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jonathan wore a shirt a lot more than I expected, but it's still Episode 1.

Also the tribal immunity this season is pretty sick.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

winning tribe, here's a sweet lookin snake devouring itself, worship it.

2nd place tribe, heres some rocks, get lost

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

winning tribe, here's a sweet lookin snake devouring itself, worship it.

2nd place tribe, heres some rocks, get lost

I'm pretty sure 2nd place gets the snake's poop

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
edit: nvm, ignore this post

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm glad it was just a medical pull out for Jackson that he pretty much expected at least and not something family related.

I really dislike Maryann and her over the top energy/reactions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Photex posted:

I really dislike Maryann and her over the top energy/reactions.

Yeeah I was like OK, be unapologetically yourself. Good for you, we're all a little weird in our own way. And then I was like oh god no imagine being in camp with this person for weeks

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Yeeah I was like OK, be unapologetically yourself. Good for you, we're all a little weird in our own way. And then I was like oh god no imagine being in camp with this person for weeks

Yeah that was my feeling, if she carries this energy off camera it'd be so draining after a couple days, let's not factor in she is without a doubt bringing up god/jesus at least once being a seminary student.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo I'm watching the episode now. Jackson talking about the struggles of being a Trans Man and how he reconnected with his father is hitting me right in the feels.

EDIT: That loving sucks. I thought Jackson was pretty cool :(

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 10, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Torn between wanting Tori around to root against her, and wanting her out because she's an anti-vaxxer IRL. Bonding with nerds by talking about Harry Potter. Lmao

I want that entire "nerd crew" to be out as quickly as possible, so seeing Zach go quick is 1 of 3 down. This crew sadly seems a bit smarter with regards to game strategy than the last batch of idiots. No-one's making plans then immediately going off and telling those plans to everyone else. Yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SalTheBard posted:

Holy poo poo I'm watching the episode now. Jackson talking about the struggles of being a Trans Man and how he reconnected with his father is hitting me right in the feels.

EDIT: That loving sucks. I thought Jackson was pretty cool :(

Reactions are mixed to Jackson and I've seen some people being miffed that he kept his medical condition secret until the last day and basically cost someone else a spot.

Anyway it's early on but I think Orange is easily my favourite of the three tribes. Green's second (mostly because of Jenny, but Lydia could be fun). Blue... should probably hope for a swap before they get Matsing'd.

Jonathan is pretty much gonna do all the heavy lifting for whatever tribe he's on, it's probably just a blessing he's apparently pretty terrible at puzzles or we could be seeing the next Ozzy/Joe at merge.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I don't know what Sequester is or why people liked her there, but Tori is ANNOYING.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

Jonathan is pretty much gonna do all the heavy lifting for whatever tribe he's on, it's probably just a blessing he's apparently pretty terrible at puzzles or we could be seeing the next Ozzy/Joe at merge.
Survivor men casting used to be like 9 Jonathans and 1 nerd, now it's flipped. Dude is so far beyond everyone else physically it's silly, especially if Rocksroy is another Wardog in challenges as implied.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
Bet you Jonathan has gotten a call from the office of Vince McMahon based on that premier.

I find myself rooting for him what can I say.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

- Really weird to go from Survivor AUS' every man is a Big Boy Physical Beast to like, one dude who could complete at that level. I like it, just real jarring to watch.

- Early guesses from everyone was that this season would suck without fan feed back . it looks like they may have internally recalibrated a bit on their own, though. The Evil Amulet of Evil is a great, great twist. Incredibly here for it.

- Now do I think that it blows that Probst and the crew brought Jackson on, knowing full well he was likely to be a medical DQ? Absolutely. Do I think they did it intentionally? Definitely. Do I care? Not at all. Great way to tell his story succinctly too. Extra credit to showing Jeff talking to him at his most empathetic. And when they bring him back he'll already have people rooting for him.

- Double bonus credit for not being afraid to show things like their mic packs or camera crews. my other reality TV love is The Challenge, and they've done everything to hide and outright edit away entire characters and plotlines.

Multiple seasons were shutdown due to COVID outbreaks, players were removed because they tested positive, and one fan favorite (Ashley M) said something so offensive that it got her immediately DQed. None of this made it to air at all. Spectacularly poor editing.

I LIKE that the show is leaning into the reality that, well, its a reality tv. And most people cast are going to be super fans trying to ferret out new twists and their impact. Acknowledging that subtext is a great, great choice.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The cast seem like a beautiful mess. The amulet twist is a lot more interesting than any other twist I remember from the last season and I look forward to seeing how that plays out. I thought it was a strong first episode.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Jonathan really endeared himself to me when they were all working on the puzzle and he said something like "I got eleven." Then someone called out that there were up to thirty triangles already and he was visibly shocked and just acknowledged that he is worthless for that so he went to use his muscles on building a camp.

The whole exchange just seemed so genuine from everyone, like no big deal you do camp stuff we got nerds to do counting stuff.

Also the subtle change from last season where only one person would do the water ensured both tribes went for the triangle, whereas last time both tribes went for the water when two people could do it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Narcissus1916 posted:

- Double bonus credit for not being afraid to show things like their mic packs or camera crews. my other reality TV love is The Challenge, and they've done everything to hide and outright edit away entire characters and plotlines.

The Amazing Race was doing this more this season to, to the point of having a full aerial shot of a challenge on the last leg that showed the team's camera people. Then they also had a whole thing at the finish line to shoutout the crew. Wonder if it's a CBS thing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think its also just a change of the times too. MTV seemingly made a network-wide choice a few years ago to occasionally show producers bantering with and providing prompts during confessionals.

So they'll occasionally show
"What do you think of Jordan?"
"I mean Jordan's cute"
"is he a good flirt?"
"Oh yeah, XYZ"

I've always wondered how many of Jeff's lines are ADRed in after the fact, honestly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Narcissus1916 posted:

- Now do I think that it blows that Probst and the crew brought Jackson on, knowing full well he was likely to be a medical DQ? Absolutely. Do I think they did it intentionally? Definitely. Do I care? Not at all. Great way to tell his story succinctly too. Extra credit to showing Jeff talking to him at his most empathetic. And when they bring him back he'll already have people rooting for him.

Backed up by exit press, Jackson told them a day before the game started. And the alternate they had (in case anyone dropped out) also left that day.

So they really had no choice at that point. Either start the game with 17 people, or keep a close eye on him and get medical in as soon as it seemed like he wasn't up to it.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

That Maryanne chick going full funeral crier when Jackson was pulled from the game was insane. Even Jeff looked weirded out.

Loved the camera shots when medical was pulled in. I also love when they pan back and show the crew and am glad CBS has been doing that more (like with TAR this past season in the finale). Hope we get even more of that.

All the people who talk up Survivor do make me laugh though. The guy at the start talking about how you can get however many world records but there's only one "Survivor"? Dude, there's been 41 so far.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
gently caress Jackson for withholding info from production and taking a spot away from someone else. If he'd been honest, they could have saved him for next season. Lithium can be hard to come off of and lack of food, using a lot of energy, stress in general, etc can worsen the symptoms. Good on Jeff for really talking to him and airing that discussion.

Love Maryanne, minus the religion stuff, but I'd last two minutes around her before needing a break.

I initially liked Zach, because of course. He was a lovely "superfan", though, given how many major no-nos he did, so I'm not surprised or disappointed to see him gone.

I was expecting Romeo to be really annoying, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Tori's definitely going to end up being on other shows.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

whoscookinbacon posted:

So I was reading Jonathan Young's bio and his hero is...Lex Luger? And describes him as a "Man of God"?

Is there, like, *another* Lex Luger I'm not aware of?
Lex found God when he was in jail for his massive steroid supply and did the Christian broadcasting circuit for a while. If you're into that sort of thing it's a fine little redemption arc.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im pretty sure he means the rapper

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

“He knows so much about the body,” Young said. “I go to him for physical needs, anything I need to do or change, I go to Mr. Lex. Anything spiritual, I go to Mr. Lex, because Mr. Lex is a man of God. And he told me, which is a real honor, ‘Jonathan, you’re going to be the next total package.”

“There’s not many people that I can really relate to like I can Mr. Lex,” Young said. “He’s been there, he’s done it.”

“Mr. Lex, he’s helped me my whole life,” he said. “He’s the one who told me I should eat extra food instead of fasting. He gave me his personal workout plan.”
:laffo:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Finally had a chance to watch. Goodness Maryanne and Tori would be absolutely exhausting to be around, for different reasons.

I think I mostly either like or am neutral on everyone else so far (also I can't actually hate on Maryanne really, to be fair, I just would not be able to function around that). I swear to god I know someone exactly like Jenny from somewhere but I cannot place it in my mind.

Also as an aside, Romeo's shirt in his picture in the OP makes it look like part of his torso is just missing when it's in timg mode.

Oh also I tried to use the steam sign in to join the tribal council game but it just redirects me back to the login screen every time I try to log in.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Survivor Fantasy Update!

Tied for first right now are myself and Studio#4031!

Rosters are open now so if you want to switch out any of your picked players for someone you may have overlooked, have at it! Couple of people feel the burn big time in picking both the boots but there's still plenty of survivor left!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My hot take is 2 hour premieres are too long. Also there's so many kids and they have so much energy and I'm so old and tired.

Survivor probably did the whole Jackson thing intentionally so he could tell his story and have his moment and we'd all remember him. And that's emotionally manipulative and all but that's the show and entertainment in general. Maybe it sucks for some random alternate but we don't know who that is. Jackson's story felt worth telling and the job of casting is to find the best characters, players, and stories and put them on TV. So odds are the runner up was more likely to be a Tori than some better story, player, or character. So whatever. Should Jackson have maybe been more honest with production? I guess but I'm not gonna tell someone how to disclose their personal medical history for the sanctity of a game show. That just doesn't feel like my place.

No one really hit with me yet but it usually takes me a few weeks to really be able to recognize and get everyone. I empathized with Rocks' frustration relating to the kids' energy. I sympathized for that dude whose arm was hanging off. Everyone else was either a lot or a little. I dunno. Another season of Survivor.

Popero posted:

I don't know what Sequester is or why people liked her there, but Tori is ANNOYING.

I know very little about those kind of fan games but from the little I do know there's a lot of intense self important "gamebot" types around that stuff and she's exactly the kind of player I expect to come out of them.

Antiquated Pants posted:

Jonathan really endeared himself to me when they were all working on the puzzle and he said something like "I got eleven." Then someone called out that there were up to thirty triangles already and he was visibly shocked and just acknowledged that he is worthless for that so he went to use his muscles on building a camp.

The whole exchange just seemed so genuine from everyone, like no big deal you do camp stuff we got nerds to do counting stuff.
Same. I became a fan there. Just the self awareness and acceptance of it felt endearing to me. He didn't fight or question or anything. Just "yeah, my answer sounds stupid... I'm gonna let you do it." I can respect that and get along with someone like that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chili posted:

Survivor Fantasy Update!

Rosters are open now so if you want to switch out any of your picked players for someone you may have overlooked, have at it! Couple of people feel the burn big time in picking both the boots but there's still plenty of survivor left!

I really do want to sign up for this even if I'll be a week behind can someone tell me how to actually make an account there? There's plenty of ways to log in but that does me no good if I don't have an actual account at all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have never been so happy to be wrong

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I really do want to sign up for this even if I'll be a week behind can someone tell me how to actually make an account there? There's plenty of ways to log in but that does me no good if I don't have an actual account at all.

You make an account by logging in. Just try and access the site through discord or steam. Though I don't know if you can sign up now that the season has already started. I'm fine with it, just not sure if the site will allow it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chili posted:

You make an account by logging in. Just try and access the site through discord or steam. Though I don't know if you can sign up now that the season has already started. I'm fine with it, just not sure if the site will allow it.

Every time I do this it tells me "there's no account linked to that email address"

Logging in through any of the socials just kicks me back to the login screen

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 11, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Really enjoyed the first episode. The tribes seem cool, with some fun personalities and some good chances for conflict, the twists have felt... aggressive? Really setting up for tensions in the mid merge, but with individual powers not being overwhelming unless tribes get extra small.

I do think a regular 43 minute episode will be super strained though.

Chili posted:

Survivor Fantasy Update!

You kidding? Jackson earned me a sweet 8 points by being med evac'd :clint:

I do feel bad for Jackson's evac, and the role really should've gone to someone else. That said, it's at least the first boot in a season that would've most likely had two boots for episode 1, and at least there was some neat conversations about him. Sucks, but also worked out well!

Edit: I have no idea if I actually got these points.
Edit2: oh he was benched lmao

Studio fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 11, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Studio posted:

I'm going to take a gambit

Pony: Strunk
Poison: Strunk

Also this turned out to be mildly accurate???

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It sucks about Jackson but I get it. If I'm not mistaken, you have to titrate down on lithium, and to maintain it at therapeutic levels in the first place you have to take a fair bit of the stuff. So it's lovely that he didn't disclose, but my guess is he just didn't grasp how long it would actually take and genuinely thought it wouldn't be an issue.

My question is how he hid it for that long. Don't all of their bags get searched, and thoroughly? And I thought they had a week or so on location before filming started.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Propaganda Machine posted:

It sucks about Jackson but I get it. If I'm not mistaken, you have to titrate down on lithium, and to maintain it at therapeutic levels in the first place you have to take a fair bit of the stuff. So it's lovely that he didn't disclose, but my guess is he just didn't grasp how long it would actually take and genuinely thought it wouldn't be an issue.

My question is how he hid it for that long. Don't all of their bags get searched, and thoroughly? And I thought they had a week or so on location before filming started.

It sounded to me more like he told them he's taking LIthium and the Survivor crew just didn't have enough time to research what the possible negative side effects from being on Survivor could be. Presumably he was taking it on the island (they let you take prescriptions there, right?) and the med team eventually decided it was too risky.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

It sounded to me more like he told them he's taking LIthium and the Survivor crew just didn't have enough time to research what the possible negative side effects from being on Survivor could be. Presumably he was taking it on the island (they let you take prescriptions there, right?) and the med team eventually decided it was too risky.

Yeah this is pretty much the case. Lithium is just one of those drugs that you really don't want anyone on while playing the game. It's a perfectly fine drug to be on for mental health purposes but it needs good medication management and a stable environment or the side effects can be problematic.

My guess is that they knew he was getting yoinked as soon as he disclosed it but had nobody to fill in so they gave him what they could. It's a good compromise in a lovely situation and what presence Jackson did have held a lot of value.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think it's more likely he tried to quit taking it and just didn't tell them about it. And possibly the stress of getting ready to go out and he realized that it was going to be a problem...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'm pretty sure he said he had quit taking it but coming off lithium of all things cold turkey is not something they're going to want to televise, that could be rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Antiquated Pants posted:

Also the subtle change from last season where only one person would do the water ensured both tribes went for the triangle, whereas last time both tribes went for the water when two people could do it.

Chili and I recorded a video podcast of our review of the first episode (will link back here for feedback!) and that is something we both noted is how much fun the Savvy vs Sweat was.