Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Studio posted:

oh hell yeah the survivor thread.

they should cast me, imo.

same. can't believe they keep passing up me, a mid-thirties balding white man. this opportunity will not last, probst

edit: miserable snipe. using this opportunity to tell everyone reading to go watch David vs Goliath if you haven't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Spokes posted:

same. can't believe they keep passing up me, a mid-thirties balding white man. this opportunity will not last, probst

edit: miserable snipe. using this opportunity to tell everyone reading to go watch David vs Goliath if you haven't

What about a mid-thirties white man with long luscious locks of flowing hair?? That has to count for something! ...asking for a friend

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

feels good to be hispanic :slick:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Studio posted:

feels good to be hispanic :slick:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Antiquated Pants posted:

What about a mid-thirties white man with long luscious locks of flowing hair?? That has to count for something! ...asking for a friend

How do you feel about putting dreads in?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:hmmyes:

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Another Bill posted:

How do you feel about putting dreads in?

You misspelled "man bun"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thoughts on Pearl Island. I'll spoil it since I know sometimes people watch old shows here.

It's a very entertaining season. The Outcast Tribe twist was an awful idea that actually worked pretty good in the sense that it really upended what almost surely would have been a pagonging by whatever side got day 1 immunity.

I had forgotten THAT was the thing Fairplay did. Lol what a tool.

Sandra is interesting because she's really not playing until Rupert goes out and even then it maybe takes an episode for her to get her feet beneath her but she really does a good job of talking people into keeping her, well, the whole way. And drat she invented the Russell strategy of trashing the camp early. I wonder what things are like if she goes through with it. Or maybe she did, that fish story is mighty fishy to me. Great jury performance though...well...not that she needed it.

drat, Darrah ruled, why didn't she come back? Three immunity wins in a row for someone in that frame is amazing. Actually there are a lot of people I liked on this cast and would have been happy to see again

Lil actually played a decent game after her return. I think people couldn't get over the uniform though. Or the fact she cried after every good move she made. Interesting strategy though attacking the jury. I was kind of surprised she got a vote but Tijuana made a better case for her being the winner than Lil did

Fun show. My history is 1-3 (although I barely remember 3 and I no lie followed it via audio only) then China forward. Any of the rest I should catch?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the uniform thing doubly sucks because a) the stupid "twist" and b) iirc they goaded her into wearing that for promos

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm watching Kaoh Rong for the first time, and (aside from the episode 4 reward challenge) and this pre-merge is extremely funny. Just tons of good setups for people to get blown up

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Rick posted:

Fun show. My history is 1-3 (although I barely remember 3 and I no lie followed it via audio only) then China forward. Any of the rest I should catch?

Not counting Pearl Islands, I'd say the only one in that stretch that's a must-see is Cook Islands.

I think Palau and Fiji are both quite good too. Marquesas and (especially) All-Stars are good if you want to like, know every bit of the Boston Rob origin story. Honestly I feel like everything in there is at least decent (except Thailand) and you can't go too wrong.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Rick posted:

drat, Darrah ruled, why didn't she come back? Three immunity wins in a row for someone in that frame is amazing. Actually there are a lot of people I liked on this cast and would have been happy to see again

Probably because as far as she made it, they still only found like two usable confessionals for her the whole season. Someone who's going to do well AND not be interesting is probably the last thing the producers want.

Rick posted:

A lot, IMO. 4/Marquesas is 'important' to survivor's history but not one of my favorites. 6/Amazon is really good if you don't mind some insanely dated 2000s gender attitudes. 10/Palau and 11/Guatemala make a nice double because of some returning players. 12/Panama is, for my money, the funniest season the show's ever had, and 13/Cook Islands is the introduction of a lot of famous players Ozzy, Parvati, Yul, Jonathan Penner, ~Candice~.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Vanuatu is also a great underdog story. Also has some weird gender stuff too since a lot of the season revolves around some men vs women factions but the story of the winner is kinda hilarious and there are some great characters from the season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So I definitely have seen All-Stars and Cook Island. I think I thought China happened several earlier.

Looking at a list it seems I was maybe just watching one season a year and missing the other season that took place for several years. At this point maybe I should just finish the missing ones off.

Sure wish Hulu still had almost the complete run.

Leatherhead posted:

Probably because as far as she made it, they still only found like two usable confessionals for her the whole season. Someone who's going to do well AND not be interesting is probably the last thing the producers want.

I guess the fact that I didn’t know her name started with the letter ‘D’ until she started getting votes is probably a big vote against how interesting she was.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 27, 2022

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Rick posted:

I guess the fact that I didn’t know her name started with the letter ‘D’ until she started getting votes is probably a big vote against how interesting she was.

You still know more about her than her boyfriend.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Spokes posted:

Not counting Pearl Islands, I'd say the only one in that stretch that's a must-see is Cook Islands.

I think Palau and Fiji are both quite good too. Marquesas and (especially) All-Stars are good if you want to like, know every bit of the Boston Rob origin story. Honestly I feel like everything in there is at least decent (except Thailand) and you can't go too wrong.

Boston Rob is an interesting story in that he sucks. I pray that they never bring him on the show again, it was painful to watch him try and bully his way to a victory again in season 40, and everyone just simply didn't react to it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Leatherhead posted:

A lot, IMO. 4/Marquesas is 'important' to survivor's history but not one of my favorites. 6/Amazon is really good if you don't mind some insanely dated 2000s gender attitudes. 10/Palau and 11/Guatemala make a nice double because of some returning players. 12/Panama is, for my money, the funniest season the show's ever had, and 13/Cook Islands is the introduction of a lot of famous players Ozzy, Parvati, Yul, Jonathan Penner, ~Candice~.
Seconding all of this but I like Marquesas a little more than that I guess. Amazon most of all is a must watch.

The history of Survivor strategy is kind of pagongings until one big flip in Marquesas, and then Amazon came and just blew the doors off by comparison. It’s probably not much compared to today’s seasons to be fair, but it is a fun watch regardless.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 28, 2022

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Boston Rob was better on Amazing Race when he introduced the game to dishonesty

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

nexous posted:

Boston Rob was better on Amazing Race when he introduced the game to dishonesty

Romber were the perfect villains for TAR. Like sneaky goblins rather than being Bad People

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Probably a slight bump for the thread because S43 is coming in a few weeks.

Here's some pre-season interviews with the cast if you want to get a first impression. I already have several ponies.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Season 43 looks cool and all, but what about the more important Survivor event:

Rodney from World's Apart being a Big Pee Guy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Probably a slight bump for the thread because S43 is coming in a few weeks.

Here's some pre-season interviews with the cast if you want to get a first impression. I already have several ponies.

I never know what to think of these although some people look interesting at least.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Mike White won a few Emmys last night for The White Lotus, and in his second acceptance speech he referenced competing on Survivor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7iNPVt6cNc&t=128s

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

And then Sue left after getting sexually assaulted, again no way the show is going to make that a bad edit.

You may be forgetting (S8 All-Stars) the way Big Tom, Rob, and other members of Sue's former tribe danced and mocked her after she quit, telling each other on camera (thereby telling us), that Sue was only ever just out for a paycheck. Amber--the winner just aw-shucksing and telling us that this is the "fun tribe". The show raked her over the coals, in part to preemptively protect themselves from legal action by Sue.

It's a sneakier way of burying a quitter than they had previously gone with, and in general "letting the other contestants do the burying" has served them very well. It's a lot easier to notice how hosed up things get when it's someone like Purple Kelly.

Fast Luck posted:

The history of Survivor strategy is kind of pagongings until one big flip in Marquesas, and then Amazon came and just blew the doors off by comparison. It’s probably not much compared to today’s seasons to be fair, but it is a fun watch regardless.

Taking it back even one step further to Australian Outback, the winner there does a lot of really stone cold poo poo that gets underedited and deserves more credit

Studio posted:

Season 43 looks cool and all, but what about the more important Survivor event:

Rodney from World's Apart being a Big Pee Guy

yea i havent finished physiology class yet but i'm pretty sure the scientific name for urine is "urine"

mp5 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 15, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress what no. Jesus Christ.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mp5 posted:

Taking it back even one step further to Australian Outback, the winner there does a lot of really stone cold poo poo that gets underedited and deserves more credit

Yeah, season 2 was very much a response to season 1 where the "villain" won. Tina pretended she wasn't about alliances, but there was an unspoken alliance, and they were just as cold and calculated as Richard was. It's just because she was a petite southern mom that they were able to edit her that way. Very different compared to Richard at the time where gay men in America were either portrayed as cartoons or lecherous villains.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The tiebreaker vote at the merge is huge, the season plays out totally differently without getting the key piece of information about "hey who did Debb vote for on her way out" from the person at the gross food challenge.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
This does not make me happy

https://twitter.com/DaltonRoss/status/1570435314975649792

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Have another World's Apart Rodney post

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

he's like 3 months early

Jeff is that gamedev saying "i know what's best for you because i've been doing this for 87 years"

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Australian survivor superiority. The era of Jeff has ended. All hail Jonathon.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

nexous posted:

Australian survivor superiority. The era of Jeff has ended. All hail Jonathon.

Yes. Australian Survivor still 50 loving days long and Jonathan copied everything Jeff did in the early seasons, but has evolved to be way more fun. Only real downside is they have 24 episodes to make and have to have a couple surprise non elimination twists along the way.

The new season (sometime in 2023) will be a Heroes Vs. Villains with 12 returning and 12 new players. Their last, Blood Vs Water season seemed pretty good but I got busy and haven't finished it yet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If it makes you feel better, hourglass and do or die are gone

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm with Dalton in that I don' really care that much. I just need them to never edit another season like 41 again tbqh.

I'm also a quarantine watcher though, so I'm definitely not as attached.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

If it makes you feel better, hourglass and do or die are gone

Yes, but what other game breaking twist will they introduce this year

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes, but what other game breaking twist will they introduce this year

That's what we're all here to endure!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mp5 posted:

he's like 3 months early

Jeff is that gamedev saying "i know what's best for you because i've been doing this for 87 years"

i feel attacked

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

are we doing another draft for 43? i want to defend my title

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Call me crazy, but I'm expecting the production end of things/twists to be far more tame.

I think they heard the feedback loud and clear and I also think they've learned to trust their casts.

After they made it, they watched 42 just like all of us and have to have realized that over-production was remained the k

JOHN CENA posted:

are we doing another draft for 43? i want to defend my title

Yup. I'll be making it soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ditching the hourglass and Do Or Die means probably the two most egregious bullshit twists are gone so that's something. They probably can't get away with the silly code-phrases either, though everyone had to have known what was up with those as soon as people said them.

I guess we can look forward to Knowledge Is Power ruining the season when someone finally uses it right. Or Shot In The Dark, or whatever

Chili posted:

I think they heard the feedback loud and clear and I also think they've learned to trust their casts.

After they made it, they watched 42 just like all of us and have to have realized that over-production was remained the k

I feel like people say this every time and we keep being proven wrong because of how out of touch they are

I do agree the casting has been very good these last two seasons so I'm optimistic about that, but little else