Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure he said he had quit taking it but coming off lithium of all things cold turkey is not something they're going to want to televise, that could be rough

Yeah my impression was he stop taking it for the show and he and his nurse wife thought it would be fine and didn’t say anything. And then at the last minute he changed his mind or was feeling it or something and told them. So the medical issue wasn’t him taking the drug, it was him not taking it. And if you give them the benefit of the doubt they had to consult on that but maybe they decided right away but did the tv thing or just didn’t have a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Apparently in post-exit interviews he told CBS the day after the alternate had left (no idea if intentional, etc.).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Studio posted:

Apparently in post-exit interviews he told CBS the day after the alternate had left (no idea if intentional, etc.).
The alternate shouldn't leave before they've hit the beach! Are they trying to save $50 for a one night shorter hotel stay or what?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Fast Luck posted:

The alternate shouldn't leave before they've hit the beach! Are they trying to save $50 for a one night shorter hotel stay or what?

Well I’m sure they won’t for future seasons!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
they should revote on the "come on in guys" thing. i think it's causing Jeff physical pain and it was always gender neutral anwyay

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If it’s causing Jeff pain they should definitely not change it back.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Backed up by exit press, Jackson told them a day before the game started. And the alternate they had (in case anyone dropped out) also left that day.

Okay, I call bullshit here. Most reality shows keep multiple people as alternates through the early episodes for exactly this reason. Even with two people down (and we almost had another dude out with his shoulder) they should have still had someone who could step in.

Then again, COVID probably hosed up any semblance of normal regulations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I have no idea. There’s certainly some limit to their alternatives. All precautions are fundamentally limited and if poo poo goes real bad they don’t work. So it seems at least plausible that they had a couple of alts but because he informed them too late and because a problem with their alts there wasn’t an option.

But again I also think it’s plausible that they genuinely were unsure how to handle it. I absolutely believe they used it for the tv moment but also like it’s easy for me to believe they’re not a well oiled machine who knows exactly what they’re doing right away.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Given that Survivor isn't a game where someone can just hop right in after the first two days (since imo those days are incredibly important), it doesn't seem that far fetched that the night before the game started they did final clearances on everyone, sent the alts home, and fired everything up the next morning. Probably not the best idea and they'll probably rethink that after this incident, but I don't think it's particularly stupid or nefarious that they released the alts the night before the game started, especially since they probably load everyone up and start first thing in the morning.

I also suspect Jackson wouldn't have revealed his medication issue if the alts were still around.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

Okay, I call bullshit here. Most reality shows keep multiple people as alternates through the early episodes for exactly this reason. Even with two people down (and we almost had another dude out with his shoulder) they should have still had someone who could step in.

Then again, COVID probably hosed up any semblance of normal regulations.

Survivor doesn't really have that luxury. They can't just bring someone in 3 days into the season and have them join up with the cast. It's quite believable that the day before they got to the beach that the producers would have thought the cast was set and sent the alternatives home. Assuming they launch early in the morning, it's quite likely "the day before" could have been just the night / less than 12 hours prior.

Well poo poo then :lol:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This has happened before! The Melissa McNulty

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I started watching survivor in 2019 with season 1, and thanks in large part to the pandemic I've caught up with the whole series, so this is the first season I'm watching live. That also makes this one of the few seasons where I wasn't inadvertantly spoiled on the winner going in (thanks to general online info and things like the DVD covers having the winners above the logo).

I think I'm pulling for Hai, although his decision to smear blood all over himself doesn't bode terribly well for the sort of decision he'll make under pressure. Wasn't sad to see Zach go and I hope Swathi follows close behind him, though right now she seems like the sort to hang on into the merge and get cut as a consensus vote when the real target has immunity.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Leatherhead posted:

I think I'm pulling for Hai, although his decision to smear blood all over himself doesn't bode terribly well for the sort of decision he'll make under pressure.

Yeah, I'm rooting for Hai as well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the blood smear was too weird. I mean it was goofy but there's probably a reason there's no footage on the show of people questioning it. The human body is weird and you can make a mess from a small cut. And I'd guess everyone's got plenty of cuts after like an hour of shelter building. And you can always say your nose bled or something. I dunno. In the hierarchy of paranoia in Survivor "that guy might have faked cutting himself and smeared fake blood on himself" is probably pretty low.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Oh yeah it's not the hardest thing to play off, it just feels like an unforced error - one of those traps the producers like to put out there like half the offers in Island of the Idols. I did laugh when after the first challenge Lydia seemed super worried for him, but fortunately it seems not to have been an issue.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I could also see it as something that comes up later that calls his trustworthiness into question. Like, someone else uses it or brings it up, the show flashes back to him being asked if that's blood and him being like "yeah!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I saw season 1 of The Circle a few years back, and one of the dumbest things about that show was how they kept bringing in brand new contestants over halfway into the season. I'm so, so glad Survivor does not do that.

Like say what you will about Edge of Extinction, at least those contestants were people we had seen before!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

I could also see it as something that comes up later that calls his trustworthiness into question. Like, someone else uses it or brings it up, the show flashes back to him being asked if that's blood and him being like "yeah!"

It's gonna be Lydia, who commented when he got back to the beach about his blood.
"Hey remember when Hai came back super bloody after the first challenge. No one talked about it, and he didn't have any cuts on him. Do you think..."

I think this episode had a lot to cover, and Hai was on the one team that didn't lose anyone, so I imagine we'll get Drama later on.

Studio fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 12, 2022

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Studio posted:

It's gonna be Lydia, who commented when he got back to the beach about his blood.
"Hey remember when Hai came back super bloody after the first challenge. No one talked about it, and he didn't have any cuts on him. Do you think..."

I think this episode had a lot to cover, and Hai was on the one team that didn't lose anyone, so I imagine we'll get Drama later on.

Yep, and they've been doing a lot more of this more intentional editing and flashback kinda stuff in recent seasons. I also wouldn't be surprised if it just never comes up again haha but I do kind of expect it to.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I don't know if he was being sarcastic about Daniel's shoulder injury but in his exit interview Zach implied Daniel was bleeding all over the place so Hai didn't look out of place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, I just don't imagine its a big deal because I imagine people bleed on Survivor all the time. Like did you see those people swinging that machete? Its a miracle there's not severed limbs and eyeballs everywhere.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Much like the return from the prisoners dilemma, I'm sure it was brought up but not really any meaningful drama came from it so they chose not to air it. It's probably pretty obvious that the 3 that took forever on that leg of the challenge but all came back together had some sort of twist to take part in.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I imagine a conversation that went like:

"Is that your blood?"
"Yeah."
"Man, that's a lot. Are you ok?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Where are you cut? How?"
"Man, I don't even know. "
bonked on the head with a bamboo log and fall on a rock

Obviously there was some kind of story they had to all tell but that could be as simple as "we had to dig" or something.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I imagine a conversation that went like:

"Is that your blood?"
"Yeah."
"Man, that's a lot. Are you ok?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Where are you cut? How?"
"Man, I don't even know. "
bonked on the head with a bamboo log and fall on a rock

Obviously there was some kind of story they had to all tell but that could be as simple as "we had to dig" or something.

Yeah I assume they had to have made up a story about the knots being In a bowl of fake blood or having to dig for a key or something

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha i forgot this was starting this week, so catching up now and lol at the impromptu mud deception LOL fake blood and theyre taking way too long, yess.

ayy, this rando dude won me over with his "no rice, no flint, no machete, no pot" haha, honestly survivor is really skimpy with the weed rewards or weed based challenges oh literal pot as in vessel

That's a lot of screentime for a dude they just have to remove from the show almost immediately. Always weird too when they do a big "anti-stigma" thing that introduces you to new stigmas. I understood lithium to be an effective antidepressant, vaguely "the good/least-bad one" and don't know any really negative associations with. Guess I also didn't know it was something that needed to be weaned off of or whatever either though.

Goodbye Zach but lol at Drea just, immediately going to vote someone off her alliance, I wonder how far this approach will get her, I'm not sure I see the reasoning there.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 13, 2022

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

I can see Jackson being brought back if/when he's off the lithium for good. And I can understand not wanting to talk about it - there's a lot less than there used to be, but still a bit of a stigma around taking mental health medications. But weaning off any antidepressant, lithium included, is tough, even before you get into the issues with lithium drugs.

In general, good premiere, I like this cast.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Aerox posted:

I also suspect Jackson wouldn't have revealed his medication issue if the alts were still around.
that's actually a kind of funny part of it, Jackson doesn't tell them about his medication until right before filming, but then on TV is saying the name of the prescription because he believes transparency is so important.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think the blood smear was too weird. I mean it was goofy but there's probably a reason there's no footage on the show of people questioning it. The human body is weird and you can make a mess from a small cut. And I'd guess everyone's got plenty of cuts after like an hour of shelter building. And you can always say your nose bled or something. I dunno. In the hierarchy of paranoia in Survivor "that guy might have faked cutting himself and smeared fake blood on himself" is probably pretty low.
I mean, Lydia is like "they're covered in blood!" and then says to him later on "you're bleeding, that's a lot of blood." So like no one is questioning whether it's fake blood, no, because the concept of players being provided fake blood is nearly impossible to imagine, which I guess means he was perfectly fine to slather himself all over with it.

He was asked about it though at least, which means he had to make something up or be like "whoa I don't know" or something. Eventually the other two people there will probably leak some of that but the amulet thing will be a bigger deal than the fake blood.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 14, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My favourite thing about the amulet as a macguffin design is it's ostensibly pitched as an alliance uniting thing, yet is designed to heavily encourage a 3-way backstab since the last one left with it will then have a hidden idol.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

My favourite thing about the amulet as a macguffin design is it's ostensibly pitched as an alliance uniting thing, yet is designed to heavily encourage a 3-way backstab since the last one left with it will then have a hidden idol.

plus if they manage to keep them secret as they should, they'll have to convince their groups to vote out the other person for made up reasons and that could lead to some lols

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

that's actually a kind of funny part of it, Jackson doesn't tell them about his medication until right before filming, but then on TV is saying the name of the prescription because he believes transparency is so important.

I wonder if there is a list of medication that is like 'you can't be on this and play' given to the contestants, so they tried to conceal it/wean him and it didn't work out in time so they disclosed it last minute. And then medical decided to see how he did with the withdrawal. There was a comment about him 'shaking for 8 hours' or something and another tribemate pointedly making sure he was staying hydrated so it sounds like he wasn't taking it well physically to a noticeable degree.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

njsykora posted:

You gotta hope that at least one of the other amulet people is voted out premerge, which I guess is a fair bet. Once there's only two of you there's at least a chance you can work together. I also wonder if the amulet is transferable so you can be like "dont vote me out, I gave that thing to this other guy!!"

nerox
May 20, 2001
:lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203867852739

Ever wanted to own JT's letter?

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Big Taint posted:

I wonder if there is a list of medication that is like 'you can't be on this and play' given to the contestants, so they tried to conceal it/wean him and it didn't work out in time so they disclosed it last minute. And then medical decided to see how he did with the withdrawal. There was a comment about him 'shaking for 8 hours' or something and another tribemate pointedly making sure he was staying hydrated so it sounds like he wasn't taking it well physically to a noticeable degree.

Apparently, a quick Google brought up that the lithium weaning process can take at least four weeks but it's preferred to do it over three-six months (source). If you're dehydrated, you can also get too much lithium in your body and that causes other issues...

So if you're trying to withdraw and then you're on Survivor, where dehydration can/does happen... Yeah, I can see where it would become noticeable quickly, especially in the first couple days where you're still settling in to everything.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol they posted a couple preview videos for tomorrow night and one of them is about how exhausting maryanne is to be around like a bunch of us were speculating

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha the way she immediately broke into a death-mourning wail as soon as it was being announced he was going to have to be taken off the show was when I noticed her abundance of energythusiasm.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

lol they posted a couple preview videos for tomorrow night and one of them is about how exhausting maryanne is to be around like a bunch of us were speculating

In a Jackson exit interview she may have been the first one to go if it'd been double elimination, especially because she was VERY enthusiastic about going to advantage totally normal no reason to not trust me island

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Maybe I'm being oversensitive here, but did anyone else find it unsettling that a transgender person was shown as having mental illness and hiding something when the big stigmas around transgender people is that they're mentally ill or have been hiding their true selves?

I'm a CIS dude so maybe my bias is showing here but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Survivor shouldn't try to increase visibility and promote inclusion by confirming wrong and bigoted stereotypes on national television.

If anyone wants to tell me why I'm wrong, I'm here for it and promise not to get defensive.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Another Bill posted:

Maybe I'm being oversensitive here, but did anyone else find it unsettling that a transgender person was shown as having mental illness and hiding something when the big stigmas around transgender people is that they're mentally ill or have been hiding their true selves?

I'm a CIS dude so maybe my bias is showing here but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Survivor shouldn't try to increase visibility and promote inclusion by confirming wrong and bigoted stereotypes on national television.

If anyone wants to tell me why I'm wrong, I'm here for it and promise not to get defensive.

I think it would be more weird to downplay it just because it's unflattering or perpetuates a stereotype. Unless you think they allowed him on the show so they could set up some sort of "gotcha" moment, this whole situation was Jackson's doing and Jackson making the community look whatever way people interpret it, not Survivor's.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Another Bill posted:

Well, how do you expect to get rid of a stigma other than to normalize things? And how is it 'wrong and bigoted' to explore the actual struggles and lived experiences of a human being? Especially when that human being is volunteering to tell his story?

Like Jeff said, he walked into that conversation prepared to be very vague and preserve whatever privacy. Jackson was very open about the whole thing, and in response to Jackson being so open and communicative about the issue, the show treated the entire thing with all the tact, sensitivity and understanding anybody could ever ask for.

And maybe, just maybe, some other transgender person struggling with mental illness is going to see an openly transgender person on a major television show struggling with mental illness openly and vulnerably, and feel a bit more comfortable with reaching out for help and support.

You know, diversity and inclusion.

The alternative would simply be to have Jackson disappear, and perpetuate the stigma and stereotypes.

I mean, Jackson was clearly on board with the whole thing. There's no way they'd have aired that whole sequence if they thought Jackson would then take to Twitter to complain that they were airing his dirty laundry or outing him in any way. So if Jackson is on board with it, why do you have a bitter taste in your mouth about it? Honest question.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jackson definitely had agency over his own story being told, to be clear.

I think maybe it's the contrast with Zeke who talked about the stress of people thinking he was hiding something by transitioning or identifying as transgender. So seeing the show exploit or play up that angle with another player is what left a bad taste with me. I liked Jackson too and it sucks that this is how he'll be remembered as a player ( until he comes back another season)

Which is making me realize that I think i have ideas about right and wrong ways of being transgender, and that's my issue to work on. Anyways, I hope I didn't offend because that wasn't my intent. My favorite part of the last 4-5 seasons of Survivor is the push for inclusion because it gives me a great opening to pause the show and to talk about social issues with my kids.