Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Another Bill posted:

Jackson definitely had agency over his own story being told, to be clear.

I think maybe it's the contrast with Zeke who talked about the stress of people thinking he was hiding something by transitioning or identifying as transgender. So seeing the show exploit or play up that angle with another player is what left a bad taste with me. I liked Jackson too and it sucks that this is how he'll be remembered as a player ( until he comes back another season)

Which is making me realize that I think i have ideas about right and wrong ways of being transgender, and that's my issue to work on. Anyways, I hope I didn't offend because that wasn't my intent. My favorite part of the last 4-5 seasons of Survivor is the push for inclusion because it gives me a great opening to pause the show and to talk about social issues with my kids.

Hey, can't get answers if you're not allowed to ask questions.

Like has been discussed, it's fascinating to see how these social issues have evolved on twenty years of Survivor, a microcosm of American society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they should be allowed to do drugs on survivor, which woulda let Jackson stay, and would make for a lot of interesting show moments. If nothing else, the psychoactive drug alcohol has been voluntarily administered to players before and I always wondered why they didn't leave booze filled coconuts around like easter eggs for the survivors to stumble into.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Survivor but set up like the early series' of UK Big Brother where the house was specifically designed to get someone to gently caress on live TV.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I think they should be allowed to do drugs on survivor, which woulda let Jackson stay, and would make for a lot of interesting show moments. If nothing else, the psychoactive drug alcohol has been voluntarily administered to players before and I always wondered why they didn't leave booze filled coconuts around like easter eggs for the survivors to stumble into.

They can take prescription drugs, but it has to be disclosed and approved (if there's something that wouldn't do well in the circumstances, they'll drop someone). The problem is, applicants (probably rightly) fear that they're less likely to get cast if they reveal any sort of risk like a prescription drug, and are less likely to disclose it.

Lithium is not a great example though, because as far as I know it's Super Hard and Dangerous to wean someone off of it, and requires testing in like, extreme Survivoresque circumstances. I actually think Jackson could've made it onto a later season had he been more forthcoming about not being able to get off of Lithium, but I'm just watching from the sidelines.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I for one hope we never see him again. Let the alternate he hosed over have the makeup slot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The "Survivor's First Openly Trans Player" is 110% going to return in a future season.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

The "Survivor's First Openly Trans Player" is 110% going to return in a future season.

Withholding information from Medical that leads to an evacuation instead of a replacement is imo going to keep him 1000% out. Him being on the show might push more trans applicants though, which would be Cool and Good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Studio posted:

Lithium is not a great example though, because as far as I know it's Super Hard and Dangerous to wean someone off of it, and requires testing in like, extreme Survivoresque circumstances. I actually think Jackson could've made it onto a later season had he been more forthcoming about not being able to get off of Lithium, but I'm just watching from the sidelines.

afaik dehydration and undernourishment are both an incredibly bad idea when on lithium which is probably the reason Jackson decided to stop taking it for Survivor

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
I had no idea Lithium was a drug people were prescribed. I was confused for a while and thought Jackson was saying he was a drug addict and I was imagining he sucked on batteries to chase a high. Like when he talked about wanting to be open about it to deal with stigmatization that reinforced that for me because I don't really think of prescribed drugs as being stigmatized. Unless you're addicted to them but even then that is way less stigmatized than doing almost any other drug.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Come to think of it, I vaguely recall part of a radiolab on it and my takeaway at the time that lasted till now is that it's a really cool element and seems extremely helpful for mental health meds
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/segments/lithium

i think veganism gets a pass in survival situation and probably survival show, one rando lobster is a way different act of meat eating than participating in industrial death

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 17, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bro if you have any questions about Christianity...

lol

He knows, bro

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jonathan channeling his hero lex Luger(?) for that challenge yelling voice

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Survivor 42: You gotta protect the balls, Rocksroy

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I feel like these blindfold challenges should be phased out of Survivor...at some point someone is going to get concussed or some sort of serious injury from this poo poo.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I feel like these blindfold challenges should be phased out of Survivor...at some point someone is going to get concussed or some sort of serious injury from this poo poo.

Yeah but it’s funny and they’ve done it countless times with no major injury yet

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i just dont like it because yelling is inherently irritating

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

She’s so much

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cancelling challenge mid-challenge next game?! history!!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

Cancelling challenge mid-challenge next game?! history!!!
Water too choppy to continue maybe?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The guy drowning under the ladder reminded me of the best water challenge, Last Gasp.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
drat, was hoping Marya would bury the necklace and someone else would dig it up and somehow confuse it for an idol.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Another Bill posted:

Jackson definitely had agency over his own story being told, to be clear.

I think maybe it's the contrast with Zeke who talked about the stress of people thinking he was hiding something by transitioning or identifying as transgender. So seeing the show exploit or play up that angle with another player is what left a bad taste with me. I liked Jackson too and it sucks that this is how he'll be remembered as a player ( until he comes back another season)

Which is making me realize that I think i have ideas about right and wrong ways of being transgender, and that's my issue to work on. Anyways, I hope I didn't offend because that wasn't my intent. My favorite part of the last 4-5 seasons of Survivor is the push for inclusion because it gives me a great opening to pause the show and to talk about social issues with my kids.

I am trans and your questions/comments have been fine. Thank you for your concern, though!

Glad Maryanne stayed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

Well there was Zeke... even though I guess he maybe wasn't open about it until Varner was a shithead... Honestly don't remember any Survivor confessionals ever to know when exactly he opened up.

I think there is likely a 0% chance they will have Jackson back on in the future, I imagine they spend quite a bit of time & money getting Survivor players ready for the game and the producers are likely not too happy with the situation.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

this season owns. I'm hooting and hollering for Mike and his like, ultimate clownery. I hope he never gets voted out but fucks up more and more.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Watched the episode and

SweetJahasus posted:

Survivor 42: You gotta protect the balls, Rocksroy

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well there was Zeke... even though I guess he maybe wasn't open about it until Varner was a shithead... Honestly don't remember any Survivor confessionals ever to know when exactly he opened up.

I think there is likely a 0% chance they will have Jackson back on in the future, I imagine they spend quite a bit of time & money getting Survivor players ready for the game and the producers are likely not too happy with the situation.

Yeah people 'knew' about Zeke on the internet via sleuthing but it wasn't common knowledge til Varner, and Game Changers was right after MvG so I think the players didn't really get a chance to watch the season anyway.

Anyway, liked the episode. Omar/Jonathan could be a really good duo. I think Lindsay should be concerned, even if they go for an obvious Maryanne boot next then she's the boot after. If Maryanne tells her about the extra vote it might be smart to use that to get a 3-2 advantage to knock one of the boys off.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Studio posted:

this season owns. I'm hooting and hollering for Mike and his like, ultimate clownery. I hope he never gets voted out but fucks up more and more.

Mike is my favorite type of player. I love when there's someone so frazzled and bad at the game that other "good" players have to deal with their bullshit.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
If you haven't seen it yet, Lydia is possibly the most Extremely Online contestant the show has ever had and she's absolutely a top tier poster:

https://twitter.com/lydia_meredith

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Fantasy Update!

Not a whole lot of shifting around! There are only 5 teams left that have their entire roster intact. Teams are now locked and will likely stay that way for a bit until there's a major event. But, you can still activate up to 5 players and bench 3 each week.

Good episode! Though I'm really starting to hate the beware advantage. As Maryanne said, desperate players go looking for idols. It sucks that if you're in a position of desperation, and you find an idol at the 11th hour, you're essentially even more screwed than you were. Omar's stock continues to rise. I don't see a way that he at least doesn't merge, hard to see him missing the finale as well.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Did they ever explain what happens if one of the three Beware Passphrase Idol holders is voted out? Are the other two totally hosed and lose their vote until merge? Or do they only need to now say two phrases? Or does the idol go back into play for someone else to discover?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Did they ever explain what happens if one of the three Beware Passphrase Idol holders is voted out? Are the other two totally hosed and lose their vote until merge? Or do they only need to now say two phrases? Or does the idol go back into play for someone else to discover?

It goes back into play like any other hidden idol.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can you give it away

Or hide it poorly and let someone else find and activate it

It's like a booby trap

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Narcissus1916 posted:

This happened in season 41 to Brad.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Can you give it away

Or hide it poorly and let someone else find and activate it

It's like a booby trap

It specified that you either had to take it or leave it. I kinda wish Daniel had found it. Probably unlikely but he may have been cunning enough to put it back and lead someone else to it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chili posted:

It specified that you either had to take it or leave it. I kinda wish Daniel had found it. Probably unlikely but he may have been cunning enough to put it back and lead someone else to it.

Right, he took it. But then what

What if he genuinely couldn't find it again because someone else already had, for example

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I thought last season you had to say the phrase every immunity challenge, no choice. Did that change, or am I misremembering?

I still don’t like “you win immunity plus the biggest prize.” Really keeps winners winning and losers losing.

Make three good prizes, and winner gets first pick.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TheCenturion posted:

I thought last season you had to say the phrase every immunity challenge, no choice. Did that change, or am I misremembering?

I still don’t like “you win immunity plus the biggest prize.” Really keeps winners winning and losers losing.

Make three good prizes, and winner gets first pick.

There's no participation prizes in Survivor.

They did say they changed some of the variables to the twists between seasons, so maybe they gave them the option?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
No, but it falls into choices and dilemmas. They’ve done “pick comfort or practical” stuff before.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly think they're misinterpreting the complicated rules scroll and they DO have to say it but.... What if they just don't? How does the game enforce something like that

I wondered the same thing last season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's a problem imo. It's making things far more scripted than they should be. Even last season with the knowledge is power advantage and "they have to tell you if they have an advantage" like ok, what if they don't? Does Jeff come up and wrestle it out of their hands?

It's dumb and bad. I'm not one to complain about twists and advantages as a rule. Some of these are just poorly constructed, though. Like I think the idol nullifier is generally not good but i don't complain about it or mind it cos it at least makes sense and fits. But yeah, this poo poo is generally too cute.