Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My hot take is 2 hour premieres are too long. Also there's so many kids and they have so much energy and I'm so old and tired.

Survivor probably did the whole Jackson thing intentionally so he could tell his story and have his moment and we'd all remember him. And that's emotionally manipulative and all but that's the show and entertainment in general. Maybe it sucks for some random alternate but we don't know who that is. Jackson's story felt worth telling and the job of casting is to find the best characters, players, and stories and put them on TV. So odds are the runner up was more likely to be a Tori than some better story, player, or character. So whatever. Should Jackson have maybe been more honest with production? I guess but I'm not gonna tell someone how to disclose their personal medical history for the sanctity of a game show. That just doesn't feel like my place.

No one really hit with me yet but it usually takes me a few weeks to really be able to recognize and get everyone. I empathized with Rocks' frustration relating to the kids' energy. I sympathized for that dude whose arm was hanging off. Everyone else was either a lot or a little. I dunno. Another season of Survivor.

Popero posted:

I don't know what Sequester is or why people liked her there, but Tori is ANNOYING.

I know very little about those kind of fan games but from the little I do know there's a lot of intense self important "gamebot" types around that stuff and she's exactly the kind of player I expect to come out of them.

Antiquated Pants posted:

Jonathan really endeared himself to me when they were all working on the puzzle and he said something like "I got eleven." Then someone called out that there were up to thirty triangles already and he was visibly shocked and just acknowledged that he is worthless for that so he went to use his muscles on building a camp.

The whole exchange just seemed so genuine from everyone, like no big deal you do camp stuff we got nerds to do counting stuff.
Same. I became a fan there. Just the self awareness and acceptance of it felt endearing to me. He didn't fight or question or anything. Just "yeah, my answer sounds stupid... I'm gonna let you do it." I can respect that and get along with someone like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure he said he had quit taking it but coming off lithium of all things cold turkey is not something they're going to want to televise, that could be rough

Yeah my impression was he stop taking it for the show and he and his nurse wife thought it would be fine and didn’t say anything. And then at the last minute he changed his mind or was feeling it or something and told them. So the medical issue wasn’t him taking the drug, it was him not taking it. And if you give them the benefit of the doubt they had to consult on that but maybe they decided right away but did the tv thing or just didn’t have a replacement.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I have no idea. There’s certainly some limit to their alternatives. All precautions are fundamentally limited and if poo poo goes real bad they don’t work. So it seems at least plausible that they had a couple of alts but because he informed them too late and because a problem with their alts there wasn’t an option.

But again I also think it’s plausible that they genuinely were unsure how to handle it. I absolutely believe they used it for the tv moment but also like it’s easy for me to believe they’re not a well oiled machine who knows exactly what they’re doing right away.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the blood smear was too weird. I mean it was goofy but there's probably a reason there's no footage on the show of people questioning it. The human body is weird and you can make a mess from a small cut. And I'd guess everyone's got plenty of cuts after like an hour of shelter building. And you can always say your nose bled or something. I dunno. In the hierarchy of paranoia in Survivor "that guy might have faked cutting himself and smeared fake blood on himself" is probably pretty low.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, I just don't imagine its a big deal because I imagine people bleed on Survivor all the time. Like did you see those people swinging that machete? Its a miracle there's not severed limbs and eyeballs everywhere.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I imagine a conversation that went like:

"Is that your blood?"
"Yeah."
"Man, that's a lot. Are you ok?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Where are you cut? How?"
"Man, I don't even know. "
bonked on the head with a bamboo log and fall on a rock

Obviously there was some kind of story they had to all tell but that could be as simple as "we had to dig" or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Daniel is actually a messier player than Mike. “Superfan” is such a tip-off.

Have Lydia and Hai done something before this week or do people just like them from pre game interviews or podcasts or something? I don’t think I noticed them before tonight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At this stage my expectations for the season are that Jonathon, Rocks, and Mike are gonna form a dad garage band at the merge while the zoomers all gaslight each other into insanity.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He does kind of fit a common trope of like the Kass type player who just plays so hard and chaotic. That was always popular although its so common in today's Survivor it doesn't seem special.

But yeah, its probably just that on a diverse and mostly likable cast reddit connects with the libertarian rear end in a top hat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing I keep coming back to is that he’s the guy who lost someone else’s idol and then was like “I never even had it” and then was like “oh I guess I did, whoopsie”.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think "Was loyal until it was inconvenient" is the case you really think you're making. Loyalty means when its inconvenient. All Daniel sticking with Jenny to that point means is that maybe he just thought he was smart enough to make it happen until it became clear he wasn't.

I do think something can be said for leaving in the guy you know sucks, but that also means leaving in someone you know is a snake who will sell you out into a merge. The other tribe just did that with Tori and her first words after are "I'm selling these people out at the merge!" I don't think keeping around a useful idiot is really a bankable strategy. Sometimes it works out but its just a lot of room for error. Maybe Daniel's tamed and humbled but maybe he's just smart enough to know he has no other option at the moment. When he does that might change.

But also like they blindsided Mike. So I just don't feel like they're playing that well and there's no real reason for them to expect loyalty from anyone into the merge.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 7, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nihonniboku posted:

How did they blindside Mike? Everyone voted to plan except for Channelle, who voted for him in case Daniel played the dice and was safe.

Mea culpa. I must have missed that plan or just didn't put it together. I just assumed they were playing the math. But I was kind of out of it last night. My bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, guys like Jonathan can dominate in the camp and group challenges by brute force and athleticism but individual immunities are more varied and tend to be like puzzles and focus and balance and stuff like that. And he might do well in those but they also just might not be in his skill set and he's carrying way more weight and size than everyone else so he's gonna be at a disadvantage in some.

He was always going to be targeted as soon as Merge happens. But he at least seems to (a) recognize that and doesn't think he can just beast his way through and (b) seems to have a good social game so he's got people willing to fight for him. I don't know how long that can last. He's still probably doomed in the short run. But you never know with Survivor. The right challenges, the right meltdowns.

I'm glad to see that the Jonathan, Mike, and Rocks dad club is developing as I'd hoped.

Also Tori's the worst.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Omar kept both of his pre merge allies so I don’t think you can pick that too much.

Hai seems to have a decent read and social game and it might help him to lose Lydia since he was just openly advertising them as a duo. I dunno if anyone will do a sideways glance at him for voting her out the way Mike kinda did but that stuff tends to pass. He didn’t really betray or anything and the tide had probably just turned outside his control.

I also assume that the knowledge/suspicion Mary Ann had an idol might have just kept her out of the question. Otherwise that 9 fell apart real fast. But I thought it was funny that they formed a final 9, then decided to vote out Jonathan, and then Omar used Lydia being willing to vote out one of the new 8 as reason to turn on her. Modern Survivor is funny.

Tori talks to people like she’s doing them a favor explaining to them why they’re wrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

curiousCat posted:

no, lol

they formed a F8
Omar turned the rest of the 8 on Lydia
the 6 votes for Lydia were legit just that group -- everyone else was left on the outs completely.

The 8 was theoretically 9 because they talked about including Rocks. I actually assumed “the 8” they were talking about was sans Jonathan. But Rocks ended up voting for Lindsey for some reason so I’m just assuming in the scrambling chaos the 8 didn’t think it was worth cluing him in as they debated turning on one of themselves.

The key thing to me still seems to be that Mary Ann wasn’t in the 8. So her not being more of a target I assume was because of fear she had an idol. So then Romeo was able to push some of them to Jonathan and Omar was able to shift them to Lydia. It’s just funny that he used Lydia willing to vote out Jonathan as a pretense when they were just guilty of the same any way. But that’s modern survivor “alliances”.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maryanne isn't in the 8, yeah. It was supposedly Omar/Jonathan/Lindsay, Mike/Hai/Lydia, and Drea/Rocksroy. Romeo, Tori, Chanelle and Maryanne were out of the group.

Yeah, I only mention Mary Anne because Jonathan listed targets as Tori, Channelle, and Mary Anne. So when the vote came down to Jonathan, Mary Anne, Lydia, Hai, and Drea it would seem like the 8 would all collectively agree to vote out Mary Anne instead of one of them, or at least Jonathan would push that. Since they moved to Jonathan and then Lydia I assume they were just all scared of Mary Anne using an idol. Although the Omar/Lydia conversation seemed like "Mary Anne or Jonathan?" was at least a debate.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat it!

I'm going to double down on my sympathy for Jonathan's stories of his upbringing where it sounded like he was getting abused by his dad and hope to god I never see him campaigning with his dad or Trump or something before the season ends and I forget he exists.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m less bothered by the possibility that he’s “a chud” which covers a wide range of assholes and more the direct association with Roy Moore and that his dad is an active politician.

That being said lots of people think differently than their parents and Jonathan has seemed like a decent guy on the show and his stories of his dad have sounded like borderline abuse to me. So I dunno. I’ll hope he doesn’t show his rear end but won’t be surprised if he does.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My impression is that Lydia’s popularity is in large part thanks to a very active social engagement in that really online style.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Romeo may have a correct read but if you’re just causing enough noise with it to almost get yourself voted off you’re clearly misplaying it.

I cracked up at Jonathan having an actual “Ill do it myself” group challenge moment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Jonathan showed all his rear end. It doesn't make him a racist for getting all up like that but it does reinforce what we saw with the other women that he can't get out of his own view and see someone else's. Would he have done that to dudes? I dunno. But him flipping a switch like that the second he saw an opening and felt like he didn't have to play demure anymore ain't a good look. And like yeah, him just not being able to hear Drea and Maryanne without making it about him is part of the problem and subconscious poo poo.

I don't mind the open vote or the blind chance thing. It happened. It just played out that way organically. The question I had was of course that if Jonathan's crew had gone up first would Drea have been voted out and then does Rocks have that same principled and passionate stance (without an idol) to switch the vote? I don't feel comfortable saying they shouldn't have seen Rocks because then... you know. But I dunno. Its not gonna keep me up at night. This sort of production twists you gotta deal with is a built in part of the game. But its off.

Game wise I don't think I really agree with the decision to vote off Rocks, at least for Hai. Romeo just placed a vote on you and you know he's not gonna be your friend next vote. Rocks is intractable but that's got pros and cons. Rocks is trying to do a guy's alliance. Its a fairly safe bet he's not coming after you next vote. Its a decent bet Romeo is. Why can't this go in a different order? Are you afraid you can't get the votes with the full alliance? But you're cool potentially burning those people this way? I don't really see the sense of it. At least with Drea she's a stronger player with advantages. Was Rocks really a big enough threat at this stage to rock the boat like that? Maybe he was? Maybe they knew they had to do it without Jonathan or Lindey or Drea there? But again... if you're working around them like that you're shaking a lot of your game up. I dunno.

Good on Drea. She continued to come off smart and calculated at the game. And good on her and Maryanne for not just taking their stand and being willing to burn their idols for it (although certainly Drea truly felt unsafe) but being able to handle it so well even as Jonathan personified that kind of person and response. Hopefully it doesn't hurt them. Maybe burning the idols takes a bit of the target off them. Hopefully Jonathan burned most of his social cache here losing Rocks and pissing off Lindsey in case he holds a grudge. I don't know if he's dead in the game but he's definitely wounded bad. That was a hard "win immunity and then gently caress up your game and tv image" fall.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I’m torn on Omer. He’s potentially burning some people too but at least Romeo isn’t a threat to him and he didn’t seem to have the same Mike problem. I’m still not sure it needed to happen now but it makes more sense for him from what we know. With Hai it felt a little more impulsive and him not liking Rocks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a very minor thing but its kind of appropriate that the "karen" of the season ended up making that into some kind of convoluted rationalization for her losing not being about playing a truly terrible game and being terrible with people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yes I believe the writer is saying that having sex with a partner without informing them of a highly communicable std is effectively a lack of consent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Jonathan can actually make it to the end without any more major social blunders he seems hard to beat. He’s well liked and a comp beast and guys like him are always early targets. I don’t think he’s a massive threat at this stage. He’s obviously not strong strategically and they were all ready to vote him out. They were right to see Hai as a bigger strategic threat who was socially vulnerable at the moment. Jonathon won’t win every immunity. You’ll probably get another shot at him. You just shouldn’t pass too many times and give him that chance to beast through. And I assume we’re still playing by the shorter game fire making F4 format? So time is running out.

Hai’s downfall just seems like the classic one of working yourself into a good position and then getting a big head and becoming blind to the threat you’ve made yourself. It’s basically what Jonathan did. Omer seems vulnerable to it. Mike does too which Omer was playing on. Romeo managed to do it in like one week. The women all seem very level headed from what we’ve seen.

Romeo is in that weird position where he seems so far out of the loop that he wasn’t even a threat to the guy he was actively targeting. Whether that makes him a goat or if he can use that to scramble and make something happen will probably show what he has as a player. He seems too messy and impulsive to me.

I’d say Drea and Omer are the players who impress me most. I think Lindsey, Maryann, and Mike are all also in that solid position where it’s gonna come down to end the plans and resume building. Lindsey in particular is coming off to me like that under the radar player who sneaks a win.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that I see the Xander/Jonathan comp. As I recall Xander directly betrayed a bunch of allies and then just kind of backed into the end game. Fans just liked him for whatever reason. But we know Jonathan is well liked on the island. Up until last week the only things anyone ever said about him was marveling at how much they liked him or what a comp beast he was or all he did at camp. Last week definitely hurt him, but no one actually seemed annoyed about Drea being the target. This cast seems to get that game play and the "8" has clearly just fallen apart completely. They didn't like how Jonathan handled it or how he talked to them and then there was the racial component at Tribal. We still don't technically know if they were gonna vote out Drea unless someone's said something online and I missed it.

I think obviously Jonathan took a big hit last week and he's clearly vulnerable. But he's been a proactive player to this point in a way I don't recall Xander being. Whether that will be enough I don't know but he's gotta survive the next few rounds of tribal first.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It just feels a little backwards to me. Fans put a lot of game resume on Xander that we never saw the tribe show any signs of having. We have seen the tribe respect and like Jonathan. We've now also seen them turn on him and voice that they don't respect his strategic game. That definitely hurts his chances. But I think it leaves Jonathan in a very different place. If he can win out and sell that he did so through a combination of comp prowess and social game despite strategic setbacks and a big target that at least makes him a winning threat on paper. But of course that is not just dependent on him getting to the end but also which Jonathan he is. The likable guy he seemed to be most of the season or the "ok, I can stop playing nice now" guy he was last week.

Its also a matter of context. If Jonathan is vulnerable the next couple of tribals and the tribe is just like "eh, someone else is more dangerous" then that definitely bodes poorly for him. He needs to bear out that he IS a threat and since he can't really do that strategically he probably has to comp beast while continuing to monkey walk and play Tarzan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's definitely possible. There's a lot of unknown about how that all got dealt with after the fact. Whether Drea knows he was targeting her, if he was able to clean that up.

I definitely don't think he's a favorite at all. But if he does beast his way through it doesn't seem the same as Xander just backing his way to the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory for past seasons is poo poo but wasn't specifically the problem Xander had that he told some lies early on and was trying to play angles and got busted and everyone just dropped him?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In general I think you’re better off saying “hey Mike, remember that time you trusted me about Hai?” instead of “Hey Mike, remember that time I told a bold faces lie about Hai, manipulated you, and kinda made you look silly on tv?” So I don’t read too much into them not knowing Omer did it. No real reason to confess that lie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Omar seems to be balancing a good social game with a good strategic one. I think social games can be hard to portray since if you just do constant scenes of how much everyone likes and respects X as a person you risk telegraphing it. Strategic players moving a lot of pieces get a lot of TV time because their actions directly affect the game. So he's kind of getting both. We see his machinations affecting the game but they're all really rooted less in outright manipulation or chaos and more just the social capital he has built up with people like Hai and Mike.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lyndsey seems like she can coast a little since things are going well for her. That could be good if she saves capital for when she needs to make a move or she could end up without a resume.

I think Omar has been more puppet mastery making moves proactively. That often bites players in the rear end but it seems like he's been able to stay fairly unnoticed in part because of players like Jonathan and Rocks drawing attention and Hai overplaying more. Of course Omer helped convince Hai to overplay with that Rocks move so maybe he can handle it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man my brain is mush. I do not remember anyone in that video. Is that Joe and Wentworth in the jury? I guess I recognize them.

I am cool with the evictee speaking out. Any time your betray someone or anything your run that risk. It’s part of your gameplay. If you burn someone it can come back on you. You gotta factor that in. Jury management is part of the game.

I also don’t imagine it will change much. Presumably everyone would have already been able to figure out she told Omar leading to him telling Mike. Like that would have had to be explained if it hadn’t already. So really at most she gave them an ice breaker to start the “Omar’s playing too well, we have to get him out” conversation. But that seemed like it was coming anyway.

I feel like Omar should have probably just left this tribal alone and gone with the flow. He made a very good move and it might work out for him. But he’s making a lot of moves even while discussing how people pushing moves makes them targets. A big threat was going home no matter what happened this week. The appeal of stealing an idol or making a big move might a big help but so might have been laying low while shots were fired. So I dunno. We’ll see.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 12, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You could rig the first half of the game easily enough by just marking the boxes. That guarantees that no matter what box is picked Jeff can open a skull first and offer the dramatic 50/50 swap.

I guess you could pull any degree of magician tricks to suggest the right box at that point. Or just outright tell the survivor what the signal is. But that’s seems a level beyond into full blown fake show and I don’t think that’s what this is at all. I could buy the first part because it guarantees we always have the drama of the second choice. After that a coin flip has just turned up heads twice. Not that big a deal.

I did enjoy Hai saying “always swap” and being wrong just because Im petty and like it when smug statistical rules I don’t understand don’t work out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My general philosophy on this stuff is they don't outright rig anything because that's too dependent on co-conspirators being able to play their parts and then keeping their mouths shut about it so the whole thing doesn't get exposed and turn the show into a joke. But I also think they have no problem weighting the scale. Like I said its easy enough to rig the first half of the game and setup the 50/50 scenario. After that MAYBE you hint at the right box and up the odds of the Survivor winning. Tons of subliminal cues you could do. Jeff said "You said you had a gut feeling and a fallback" and Lindsey said the fallback was the skull so maybe that was a deliberate clue to imply to her to follow her gut. But if they pick the wrong box anyway I imagine they'd just go with it because its the kind of "anything can happen" thing they love and creates more room for game chaos.

Just like I don't think they tell them secrets in confessionals or anything but they probably have a blanket "do you trust your allies?" question that seems suspicious when their ally is betraying them. And if they want to tip off the player they can always press that line of questioning and try and get it into their head. But I doubt they ever say "X is gonna betray you."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 12, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I lost track of advantages. Was Drea's "steal the idol" her shared advantage with Lindsey or a separate one? Did Lindsey just maneuver herself an idol?

I think we're sleeping on her a little. It seemed like she suggested that Mike move to Omar. She's been in a power position this whole game and kept her hands clean. It might be too under the radar, especially if Omar is there at the end, but I think she's played a very good game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its kind of the vibe of this cast. They generally seem like they're having fun so like Hai and Drea could have gone out very mad but instead just kind of choose to enjoy it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IcePhoenix posted:

Final five is gonna be hilarious with one immune person and three people with idols.

Somehow that seems like the perfect ending for Romeo.

IcePhoenix posted:

If the fifth person plays their shot and wins what happens when everyone is immune
But i am of course pulling for that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

njsykora posted:

I enjoyed that they had that bit at the episode saying "hey Romeo's still here, he literally does loving nothing except pick at the rice pot" and then he was quickly and rightly forgotten again.

That’s not fair. They repeatedly returned back to him sitting by the fire eating rice.

Romeo pissed aomeone off because that was a first class clown edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah but I mean there’s always some cast member who is just there. Romeo managed to not only get the entire cast annoyed at him but got production to edit an entire episode around making him look like a fool as a subplot. That’s rough.

Not that I don’t imagine he’s earned it.