Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

The list is full of what seems like poison, it's tough to choose. Really tough between "afraid of vacuums" and "Musk fan."

Pony: Rocksroy, I wanna hear that name all season long.
Poison: Swati, can't wait to see what such a stable genius does after losing a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Jonathan really endeared himself to me when they were all working on the puzzle and he said something like "I got eleven." Then someone called out that there were up to thirty triangles already and he was visibly shocked and just acknowledged that he is worthless for that so he went to use his muscles on building a camp.

The whole exchange just seemed so genuine from everyone, like no big deal you do camp stuff we got nerds to do counting stuff.

Also the subtle change from last season where only one person would do the water ensured both tribes went for the triangle, whereas last time both tribes went for the water when two people could do it.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Daniel's terrible poker face, spilling secrets, and flipflopping mid TC should really make him a target for the remaining pairs in the alliance. They can just make him next target and hope they can stay a strong 4 alliance until a mix-up or merge. The dude cracks under the lightest of questioning.

It's such a shame Chanelle made such a mistake risking her vote after her whole spiel, poor Omar...

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

The montage of Swati telling everyone they were her number one was pretty great. Comedy Gold from the editing department.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well production has given 0 information to the viewers about it accept for this... which is a photo of the clue that says they must say it...

The phrases on this season are different. Last season's clue says the idol becomes dead if it's not activated at the merge, but this season they all become active at the merge regardless? I assume they edited the rules slightly after reaction from last season.

It's slightly covered, but you can see the end of Mike's clue is different from last season:

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Omar really impressed me with his hustle to save Jonathan, that's a true bro. He even got Hai Gang to flip on Lydia (RIP). I wish it was Tori, she's the worst but drat it was the one challenge that Jonathan couldn't just dominate.

I find Drea to be really impressive with her thought process, though you can really see her thinking on her face which may get her into trouble if she doesn't tone that down. Hell, she guessed the immunity switch before it even happened. People don't like strong thinkers.

They really made a mistake not taking the power, especially since only 1 of them would've had to give up the reward (I think? I initially thought the whole team had to trade the reward to get the power). 1 person missing out seems like a really good deal to secure "power to change the game."

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

It not being able to be Tori made it ten times more dynamic though.

Might be lots of challenges like this that Jonathan can't dominate now that we're at merge.

That is a good point, that was a ridiculous scramble and let other people shine as well. Tori is probably going to stir poo poo up going forward. I just don't like her attitude, or watching her, but everyone else reacting to the situation is good.

Also she does get some credit for winning that challenge, that one always looks incredibly frustrating.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

So, could Lindsey not done a shot in the dark of Tori was safe?

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Sighence posted:

Showing an rear end sure seems to be tantamount to doing a racism. I'd love that line to be clarified, especially now that I rewatched the second tc and have some less than good thoughts about him.

I really read that more about him showing that he's not the super chill dude he's been portrayed as this whole time.

Both times a woman tried to talk to him he said they were being aggressive and he was very dismissive of them. He just seemed overly rude and refused to listen the second he got some pushback. Also he really showed this lack of forethought when Lindsey pointed out the flaw in his plan.

Lindsey even specifically told Drea that she hadn't been aggressive after Jonathan said Drea was. She was clearly still annoyed when he called her aggressive on the beach for having the audacity to question his plan.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

I knew it was too early for Hai to make that move. he was safe in an alliance within an alliance and it irked me when he said Rocksroy was the non-emotional vote right after going off about how annoyed he was that Rocks had basically bullied him into voting Romeo (which he already wanted?). That vote shattered both alliances, I took Omar and Hai off my roster because I wasn't sure which way the backlash would go but damnnn Omar controlled that narrative.

The Mike manipulation was really slight, he basically just let Mike talk and agreed with him. As far as survivor manipulation goes, that was downright friendly of him.

Aside from that you can see Omar control things again as he attempted to flip the vote to Jonathan, and obviously knew it wasn't going to work, but made sure that Romeo still voted for Jonathan alongside Hai. Then he joined the rest in voting Hai. Now Jonathan has a target to go after while Omar can feign innocence.

I haven't been this into someone's game in a while.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

I think the Do or Die boxes are rigged for whatever Jeff wants them to be. It's such a lovely gimmick, but for the 1 of 2 competitors to possibly be kicked out would be beyond lovely and punish players for competing seems wrong. Maybe if they all competed and the first one, but even still, terrible gimmick for drama IMO.

As for Drea, I think she crossed the line with calling out Omar. It's not uncommon for players to call out someone to "win" like she did with Mike, it's petty to put a target on them but everyone is generally aware of how other players are doing and calling out a winner is total hearsay. Calling out Omar as being the only one to know her secret and screw her over after the votes are cast is full-on game play while she's out. That was technically a really smart move by Omar, while Drea made a huge misstep by telling someone about her advantage (never tell anyone about your advantage!).

Though I do think Omar should've flipped on Mike so he could more easily keep the idol, then work with Drea as only the two of them would know about it and He's smooth enough to probably work with Drea again after such a play.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

garthoneeye posted:

I can’t think of a way to rig it for the player without some sort of magic trick style each box has a fire and skull.
I can think of a way to rig it against the contestant; Jeff just has to not offer the swap if they don’t choose correctly, but that just makes the odds worse it doesn’t guarantee they go out. I agree that it’s an honest Monty Hall, but there is room for fuckery.

I was thinking a magician-style prop box that has both options for Jeff to choose from. It would give production more control over the game, and the whole situation just felt too perfectly dramatic. I often have a hard time believing the "reality" of Survivor, though I realize it's edited to be as dramatic as possible as well. Survivor has done some players real dirty with random tricks before, but Do or Die just seems a step further in the BS direction.

Khanstant posted:

She's not out till the torch is snuffed, she's right to be playing and to mess with the scales. Omar took a secret and backstabbed her with it even though she has a chance to retaliate. Omar isn't a dumb player by any means so I would expect he had at least considered that possibility before making his choice. If he didn't, then he deserves the little sting.

I do agree that the jury reaction stuff is a bit questionable sometimes, but at the same time to win the game you gotta win the popularity contest. Give humans a voting system and a set of arbitrary criteria or framework they are meant to base their votes on, they will always vote with their guts on who they like most in the moment. Aside from removing the jury or forcing them to try and be as neutral as possible, which is bad tv, not sure how you could avoid the issue of jury-pandering or reading, except that sometimes pandering sometimes backfires.

I don't think he rigged the game, but I trust that if he wanted to, production team would be able to figure out some trick boxes with a little hidden button to push to switch the revealed symbol.
[/quote]

I just reviewed previous eps, and he hasn't said it this season... but I've just been powering through all the old seasons (thanks Paramount+) and every single episode Jeff says "once the votes are read, the decision is final. The tribe member with the most votes is out and must immediately leaved the tribal area."

Sure most people grumble, or shoot some angry shots, try to paint a bigger target on another players back for revenge and that's usually petty but whatever. I haven't seen someone yet call out a specific move after the fact like that before (not to mention just a long convoluted exit over all, which was kinda weird). If this really blows up Omar's game, I wouldn't be surprised if we see fewer reactions moving forward as production puts a limit to that. I could see Omar making a pretty big stink about it behind the scenes. I'm mostly curious what Omar will say about it... if nothing then I guess it really doesn't matter!

Khanstant posted:

I don't think he rigged the game, but I trust that if he wanted to, production team would be able to figure out some trick boxes with a little hidden button to push to switch the revealed symbol.
I was thinking that originally, but there's so many super-easy manipulation techniques to get people to pick the box you want anyways it really isn't necessary. Especially when they are tired, starving, and at their wit's end.

Edit: I'm just mad Drea is out! I loved watching her think. She definitely said too much about observation in this tribal meeting though :(

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Is this the first season he has had little mini-intros for challenges/gimmicks and compared them to the previous year. He has such glee when talking about how much it's going to blow the players' minds. It's kinda weird, and kinda amusing that he is just so drat into his tricks.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

I think he had even more intros last season compared to this season.

Ah, I'm only on season 34 of my re-watch and last season has pretty much been lost to memory for me at this point.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

We did and he was loved enough to get a return season where he won.

Spoiled since I know I saw someone was watching through older seasons.

I mentioned watching the old seasons, but it's a re-watch... I am very curious to know which person was an SA goon! I have suspicions but I'm never sure about seeing goons in the wild.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Awesome, that was my guess.

Hey I was still a stupid newbie back then on SA, and I didn't know Survivor was still on the air. So close to knowing a famous person.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Maybe Jeff has other plans for his life but I fully hope that in twenty years we get white-haired jeff still hanging on the outside of a helicopter delivering the intro.

Based on his current levels of excitement for the show, I believe this is will happen and he'll be seen as the next Bob Barker.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Maryanne's case is also boosted by a pretty weak final five in terms of game resume

Jonathan's case is entirely in his immunity wins
Mike's case is entirely in his likeability (which is a rough case when sitting next to Maryanne)
Romeo is one of the GOAT goats

Lindsay is really the only one who can challenge her.

I don't understand the case for Jonathan's immunity wins, the dude has barely won any individual challenges, he was beaten by Tori twice, Heather has won a few times, even Omar in this last one. The dude is Aquaman, I'll give you that. If the challenge involves water, he will win it, but everything else really seems impossible for him. He's only ever won immunity when there were two winners, granted the water balance one he won first place, and he's never won an individual reward challenge and his strategy has been laughable (and noticed by everyone). Jonathan is a goat, IMO, bring his bulky-rear end to the end alongside Romeo.

Lindsay's excuse to not give Omar the talisman idol is flimsy, if it's no longer "active" then it's out of the game, or it's getting replaced whether it's used or not. That being said, she may have just told that to Omar because she didn't want to give it to anyone else for F6, she was only saving it for herself and made it look like she was totally shocked when Omar was voted out. Her fixation on Jonathan is weird, but she was lucky Omar was voted out. Maybe the post interviews show that Omar couldn't have won, but his game seemed a lot better than hers and a Jury can often come around at the end for best game play. I'll give her a break on not sharing, especially if next ep she comes around and is like "oh yeah, I wanted Jonathan, but Omar had to go anyways so..."

I knew Omar was going to be knocked out after Drea blasted his game, but it wasn't enough to catch STONE COLD 64

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

I'm still not sure about the Do or Die game, though I can see it forcing strategic plays but it seems like such a rude move against players.

I actually really like Shot in the Dark, it helps prevent the hopelessness of a tribe blatantly against a single person. I always hated scenes where a player was treated like poo poo or struggled against a brick wall of players who wouldn't even talk. Now they have to at least pretend to talk else risk a SITD. - and it has a very low chance of actually working, so far maybe once?

not a fan of SUCH goofy phrases, but I liked the change this season where Mike could've kept it secret. Had he done so (and didn't show his tribe), then he would've went into the merge with a secret idol and knowing 2 other idol-havers.

I loved the idol trapped in red paint. That's the kind of "Beware" I love most. Force a player to think quick or the advantage can turn to a target, rather than just force a huge-game mechanic punishment like losing a vote until X-happens. It makes the players play harder and only being punished for failing to play well. Rather than playing around random punishments.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Spokes posted:

same. can't believe they keep passing up me, a mid-thirties balding white man. this opportunity will not last, probst

edit: miserable snipe. using this opportunity to tell everyone reading to go watch David vs Goliath if you haven't

What about a mid-thirties white man with long luscious locks of flowing hair?? That has to count for something! ...asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes, but what other game breaking twist will they introduce this year

That's what we're all here to endure!