Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have quite a few Pony choices but I think I'm going to go Maryanne. She looks like prime 'pre-merge shock boot' material but given that my other gut instincts were Jackson (probably too good of a story to get to the end) or Jonathan (who's prime poison material but might be fun in an Angelina way) might as well.

Poison... again, tempting to pick Jonathan but I'll probably go Tori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jonathan wore a shirt a lot more than I expected, but it's still Episode 1.

Also the tribal immunity this season is pretty sick.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SalTheBard posted:

Holy poo poo I'm watching the episode now. Jackson talking about the struggles of being a Trans Man and how he reconnected with his father is hitting me right in the feels.

EDIT: That loving sucks. I thought Jackson was pretty cool :(

Reactions are mixed to Jackson and I've seen some people being miffed that he kept his medical condition secret until the last day and basically cost someone else a spot.

Anyway it's early on but I think Orange is easily my favourite of the three tribes. Green's second (mostly because of Jenny, but Lydia could be fun). Blue... should probably hope for a swap before they get Matsing'd.

Jonathan is pretty much gonna do all the heavy lifting for whatever tribe he's on, it's probably just a blessing he's apparently pretty terrible at puzzles or we could be seeing the next Ozzy/Joe at merge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Narcissus1916 posted:

- Now do I think that it blows that Probst and the crew brought Jackson on, knowing full well he was likely to be a medical DQ? Absolutely. Do I think they did it intentionally? Definitely. Do I care? Not at all. Great way to tell his story succinctly too. Extra credit to showing Jeff talking to him at his most empathetic. And when they bring him back he'll already have people rooting for him.

Backed up by exit press, Jackson told them a day before the game started. And the alternate they had (in case anyone dropped out) also left that day.

So they really had no choice at that point. Either start the game with 17 people, or keep a close eye on him and get medical in as soon as it seemed like he wasn't up to it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well there was Zeke... even though I guess he maybe wasn't open about it until Varner was a shithead... Honestly don't remember any Survivor confessionals ever to know when exactly he opened up.

I think there is likely a 0% chance they will have Jackson back on in the future, I imagine they spend quite a bit of time & money getting Survivor players ready for the game and the producers are likely not too happy with the situation.

Yeah people 'knew' about Zeke on the internet via sleuthing but it wasn't common knowledge til Varner, and Game Changers was right after MvG so I think the players didn't really get a chance to watch the season anyway.

Anyway, liked the episode. Omar/Jonathan could be a really good duo. I think Lindsay should be concerned, even if they go for an obvious Maryanne boot next then she's the boot after. If Maryanne tells her about the extra vote it might be smart to use that to get a 3-2 advantage to knock one of the boys off.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The weird thing about Russell is that recently he apparently watched Samoa/HvV for the first time live on stream and came right out and said that his HvV game was terrible, nobody should play like that, and he wants to get rid of his Survivor stuff and spend more time with his kids.

It could be passed off as him going on a drunken spiel (and he seemed pretty drunk), but he actually went out and sold his letter from J.T. at minimum bid $10k.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think as time goes on, some bad Survivors get to become actual human beings (Russell, Colton), some just kinda okay Survivors go off the deep end (Joe, Rodney) and some just reveal they've been extra off the deep end all along (Noura).

A whole bunch of Survivors have been creating/advertising NFTs lately, which is kind of a bummer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Okay Jonathan is possibly up there as one of the most impressive physical competitors they've ever had. I think he's equal to Ozzy in terms of strength/water, Ozzy is just more well-rounded since he can still do puzzles.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is that Hai saying he's a bottom?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Survivor 42: Where are the votes

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Studio posted:

Also thinking about last night's episode, has a tribe ever worked as closely as Taku was last night? They literally Idol Hunted as a group and shared the text. They'll be bonkers strong if they make the merge, but uh, what are the tribe dynamics if they have another vote (they don't seem great at puzzles!)

Maryanne likely goes - Omar/Jonathan have been called out as close, as are Jonathan/Lindsay. Also it's impossible for Jonathan or Lindsay to be voted out if they go to tribal unless the three-way idol gets activated, since only Jonathan and Lindsay can vote on the tribe right now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Chili posted:

Producer Romeo's stock is sharply rising. Dude is astute. My wife pointed out that him and Hai could make for a really solid partnership if they ever meet in the merge. I could see it going that way or them being huge rivals but either way, would be cool to see them play together.

I dunno, could be David/Zeke in MvG where they work together at first but then they go to war.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In interviews with Xander and Liana from last season, they said that Xander said it a couple times then the producers told them 'you know what, actually you don't HAVE to say it every time'.

Probably because they realized how crazy it actually sounded to keep talking about broccoli or whatever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Aerox posted:

God, even his interview is wormy. Two big thing, one is probably a spoiler --

1. I'm confused about what he's saying about Chanelle. She walked off the boat last week and already knew she had lost her vote and then immediately told him? Aside from it being obvious, how would she know that quickly?

2. I strongly suspect he gives away the next boot in the final paragraph, because he lists all his best friends and they're all everyone who got voted off before him plus one other person, and as a supposed superfan he should know better, lol.

My guess is Chanelle probably thought on the way back 'oh noooo I should NOT have done that'. It's like realizing you make a mistake two seconds after you do it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They did 'eat weird stuff' as recently as S35, but I don't blame you for forgetting because Ghost Island was terrible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihonniboku posted:

I love Hai, but he was dumb to reveal that he would go to rocks for Lydia. That right there told everyone, well, let's get rid of her asap.

Hey, declaring he would go to rocks for her saved her the first time!

Also that was a good episode. I don't know if Omar had magic virgin powers or something to turn it on Lydia that efficiently, but I think what it came down was that Jonathan was too good of a shield/social player, and the threat of Maryanne's idol meant they just went the safest route.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

The 8 was theoretically 9 because they talked about including Rocks. I actually assumed “the 8” they were talking about was sans Jonathan. But Rocks ended up voting for Lindsey for some reason so I’m just assuming in the scrambling chaos the 8 didn’t think it was worth cluing him in as they debated turning on one of themselves.

The key thing to me still seems to be that Mary Ann wasn’t in the 8. So her not being more of a target I assume was because of fear she had an idol. So then Romeo was able to push some of them to Jonathan and Omar was able to shift them to Lydia. It’s just funny that he used Lydia willing to vote out Jonathan as a pretense when they were just guilty of the same any way. But that’s modern survivor “alliances”.

Maryanne isn't in the 8, yeah. It was supposedly Omar/Jonathan/Lindsay, Mike/Hai/Lydia, and Drea/Rocksroy. Romeo, Tori, Chanelle and Maryanne were out of the group.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

there's more than one way to win at survivor

Just look at Brice, forgettable third boot but he busted really hard keeping connected with Survivor. Not that I think he's actually any good as a player, but he used his connection to the show well enough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I loved the nonchalance with which she pulled out all those advantages. I had no idea she'd collected that many lmao

Well one of them is useless on its own for now unless she works with the other two amulet holders or gets them voted out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

Can someone remind me exactly how the amulet works so I don't have to look it up. And also who has them.

Lindsay, Hai and Drea have them. They have to be agreed upon to be used at the same time (kinda like a super idol).

If all three are in the game, they can be combined for an extra vote.

If two of them are in the game, they can be combined for a steal a vote.

If only one is left, it's an idol.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well RIP Jonathan, the edit was savage to him tonight. So glad I ponied Maryanne instead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihonniboku posted:

Was it the edit? Or was it just Jonathan himself revealing that he has no brain for strategy, and that he got outwardly angry at Drea and Maryanne for discussing their experiences as black women?

Oh a lot of it was Jonathan. But the edit deliberately also showed us those moments. It's a meta way of looking at it but I don't think they'd show that for a winner.

I'm not vilifying too much yet since he did have that hug with Drea at the end, so maybe he can actually learn from it as a human being. But shrug.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

In other news, Ozzy's not great either (O refers to Ozzy).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

Jonathan is actually a valuable ally in that he's always got a good chance to win immunity so your target doesn't.

Until you're the backup target for when he loses.

Anyway, this is a pretty good season so far. I don't know if the Mike-Omar-Lindsay alliance has legs, but it might. Lindsay seems to be the best connected right now, she has Mike/Omar, Maryanne, and Drea, and she at least talks to Jonathan once in a while even if she's itching to cut him. The only one we haven't seen her talk to is Romeo, but he's practically CGI at this point.

Maryanne is also getting a surprising amount of strategic content. Not a whole lot, which makes sense as she's not really a driver of votes, but for a 'kooky character', she's got more in her than someone like Elaine in IotI.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lindsay is probably better situated socially (we've seen her talk with everyone except Romeo), but Omar is doing a better job of leveraging his connections, since Lindsay hasn't really pushed hard for any moves of her own yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Romeo is going to become a bigger goat than Xander, somehow.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maryanne and Mike are guaranteed F4 at least thanks to their idols. Presumably one of Lindsay/Jonathan is gonna win the next immunity again so the other one goes, and then Romeo eats his way to FTC because at that point why wouldn't you take Romeo to the end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Exit press is out and apparently, Omar found an idol nullifier pretty early in the game. He was going to use it on Mike at F5.

And it was apparently his undoing because Jonathan (who found it with him) found out he had told Lindsay. That lost Jonathan's trust, so he told Mike, and that lost Mike's trust.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I'm mixed. S42 is a really well edited season so I don't know where they could have crammed it in. But it's weird that it was just... quietly shuffled out of the edit. But I guess there would be too much time taken up for something the audience had already seen before, unlike their shiny new amulets.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah, Lindsay's played a really good game. People are gonna rake her over her fixation on Jonathan, but it's not like it's unfounded; her challenge wins are on her resume, and he's an obstacle to that.

We've seen several seasons where a good female player doesn't get as much content, but at least they've given Lindsay more in relation.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Studio posted:

Apparently one of the reasons Purple Kelly voted for him was because he would lend her his jacket to keep her warm :kimchi:

Purple Kelly was specifically casted to be eyecandy that season. And as a part of that, they only approved for her (remember, Survivor approves your wardrobe) a thin jacket that was very, very not suited for the weather out there.

She lasted much longer than production expected her to, but the weather got to her to the point that she quit.

Fabio lending her her jacket was basically her saving grace out there, because casting didn't want the bikini babes to dress sensibly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
https://twitter.com/DaltonRoss/status/1529627348315910144?s=20&t=Jabw4B2_FM7l5XrOr3ScZQ

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pandaal posted:

No, the immediate post-vote "reunion" is terrible. After a predictably near-unanimous vote, at one point Jeff asked the jury if any of them were going to vote for Mike (just to twist the knife I guess) and got some half-hearted "eh maybe" responses that Mike got to try to ruminate on while housing cold pizza. It was a mess lol.

Does anybody actually buy the "I don't already have my mind made up" line from the folks who have been hanging out at Ponderosa together for a week+? How many of the last 5 seasons have been unanimous or nearly so? How is the audience supposed to believe that the jury interview matters and doesn't just make for a little drama before they pick the winner?

That said, I'm stoked Maryanne won. The edit made it pretty predictable but she seems like an all around sweet person and she played the modern game post-merge.

There are definitely some seasons where the jury is pretty locked in, but it seemed like this really was a case where most of the jury was undecided or maybe slightly leaning towards one person but willing to give someone else a chance. The only person who was probably 100% locked in was Jonathan, and Mike's said in exit press that if it was the other way round Jonathan would 100% have his vote.

Also Lindsay straight up called Jonathan a misogynist in exit press, so ha.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Maryanne explained in exit press was that there was a low-lying vibe that Lindsay had been getting 'lucky' - she was lucky that Tori failed Shot in the Dark, then got lucky at Do or Die. If Maryanne had saved her at F5, then Lindsay's 'cockroach' resume gets stronger and she becomes even harder to beat. So she let her go.

You don't always need a list of big moves, you just need a few good ones and being able to back it up.

I think Lindsay was the largest threat at F6, if she'd scraped past F5 she'd probably be the odds-on favourite to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Probably a slight bump for the thread because S43 is coming in a few weeks.

Here's some pre-season interviews with the cast if you want to get a first impression. I already have several ponies.