Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I expect sheer stupidity and am extremely here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

- Really weird to go from Survivor AUS' every man is a Big Boy Physical Beast to like, one dude who could complete at that level. I like it, just real jarring to watch.

- Early guesses from everyone was that this season would suck without fan feed back . it looks like they may have internally recalibrated a bit on their own, though. The Evil Amulet of Evil is a great, great twist. Incredibly here for it.

- Now do I think that it blows that Probst and the crew brought Jackson on, knowing full well he was likely to be a medical DQ? Absolutely. Do I think they did it intentionally? Definitely. Do I care? Not at all. Great way to tell his story succinctly too. Extra credit to showing Jeff talking to him at his most empathetic. And when they bring him back he'll already have people rooting for him.

- Double bonus credit for not being afraid to show things like their mic packs or camera crews. my other reality TV love is The Challenge, and they've done everything to hide and outright edit away entire characters and plotlines.

Multiple seasons were shutdown due to COVID outbreaks, players were removed because they tested positive, and one fan favorite (Ashley M) said something so offensive that it got her immediately DQed. None of this made it to air at all. Spectacularly poor editing.

I LIKE that the show is leaning into the reality that, well, its a reality tv. And most people cast are going to be super fans trying to ferret out new twists and their impact. Acknowledging that subtext is a great, great choice.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think its also just a change of the times too. MTV seemingly made a network-wide choice a few years ago to occasionally show producers bantering with and providing prompts during confessionals.

So they'll occasionally show
"What do you think of Jordan?"
"I mean Jordan's cute"
"is he a good flirt?"
"Oh yeah, XYZ"

I've always wondered how many of Jeff's lines are ADRed in after the fact, honestly.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Backed up by exit press, Jackson told them a day before the game started. And the alternate they had (in case anyone dropped out) also left that day.

Okay, I call bullshit here. Most reality shows keep multiple people as alternates through the early episodes for exactly this reason. Even with two people down (and we almost had another dude out with his shoulder) they should have still had someone who could step in.

Then again, COVID probably hosed up any semblance of normal regulations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The "Survivor's First Openly Trans Player" is 110% going to return in a future season.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Studio posted:

this season owns. I'm hooting and hollering for Mike and his like, ultimate clownery. I hope he never gets voted out but fucks up more and more.

Mike is my favorite type of player. I love when there's someone so frazzled and bad at the game that other "good" players have to deal with their bullshit.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Did they ever explain what happens if one of the three Beware Passphrase Idol holders is voted out? Are the other two totally hosed and lose their vote until merge? Or do they only need to now say two phrases? Or does the idol go back into play for someone else to discover?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I work on political campaigns (Biden and Clinton, here) and can confirm that I'd be terrible at playing Survivor too. Daniel is getting so much flack for his spectacular flameout online, but I agree that Channelle risking her vote was objectively hilarious. Like.... what?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I like that Survivor has revived itself by casting a huge amount of self-professed superfans every seasons. Endlessly hilarious to see almost all of them flame out hard.

Way, way better than when they recruited everyone from random bars.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

All you need to know about Daniel is that he was on Jeb!'s campaign back in the day.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Studio posted:

Strunk managed to gently caress up literally the entire time, even starting off as likeable! Like ten seconds into Survivor he's fallen onto sand while lookin' like a real doofus. He Jeb!'d in a way only a real Jeb could, by burning every possible connection in a way where everyone seemed to hate him, and every time he tried to salvage anything it turned up worse.

I want to give this quote all the applause.

To be fair I worked on the Hillary and Biden campaigns and I'm certain I'd probably do even worse than he did.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There was that one hilarious season of Big Brother ages ago where everyone sat around saying absolutely heinous racist and sexist poo poo. People were throwing racial slurs left and right, and it culminated with a guy defending Hitler.

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I mean if Jonathan hops on twitter and starts defending literal fascists than yeah, gently caress that guy. But so far he's been a gentle giant, and lovably self-aware. Also man, that bit where he admiringly talks about his Dad likely being an abuser is just... something that'll stick with me.