Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Another Bill posted:

Maybe I'm being oversensitive here, but did anyone else find it unsettling that a transgender person was shown as having mental illness and hiding something when the big stigmas around transgender people is that they're mentally ill or have been hiding their true selves?

I'm a CIS dude so maybe my bias is showing here but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Survivor shouldn't try to increase visibility and promote inclusion by confirming wrong and bigoted stereotypes on national television.

If anyone wants to tell me why I'm wrong, I'm here for it and promise not to get defensive.

Well, how do you expect to get rid of a stigma other than to normalize things? And how is it 'wrong and bigoted' to explore the actual struggles and lived experiences of a human being? Especially when that human being is volunteering to tell his story?

Like Jeff said, he walked into that conversation prepared to be very vague and preserve whatever privacy. Jackson was very open about the whole thing, and in response to Jackson being so open and communicative about the issue, the show treated the entire thing with all the tact, sensitivity and understanding anybody could ever ask for.

And maybe, just maybe, some other transgender person struggling with mental illness is going to see an openly transgender person on a major television show struggling with mental illness openly and vulnerably, and feel a bit more comfortable with reaching out for help and support.

You know, diversity and inclusion.

The alternative would simply be to have Jackson disappear, and perpetuate the stigma and stereotypes.

I mean, Jackson was clearly on board with the whole thing. There's no way they'd have aired that whole sequence if they thought Jackson would then take to Twitter to complain that they were airing his dirty laundry or outing him in any way. So if Jackson is on board with it, why do you have a bitter taste in your mouth about it? Honest question.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Another Bill posted:

Jackson definitely had agency over his own story being told, to be clear.

I think maybe it's the contrast with Zeke who talked about the stress of people thinking he was hiding something by transitioning or identifying as transgender. So seeing the show exploit or play up that angle with another player is what left a bad taste with me. I liked Jackson too and it sucks that this is how he'll be remembered as a player ( until he comes back another season)

Which is making me realize that I think i have ideas about right and wrong ways of being transgender, and that's my issue to work on. Anyways, I hope I didn't offend because that wasn't my intent. My favorite part of the last 4-5 seasons of Survivor is the push for inclusion because it gives me a great opening to pause the show and to talk about social issues with my kids.

Hey, can't get answers if you're not allowed to ask questions.

Like has been discussed, it's fascinating to see how these social issues have evolved on twenty years of Survivor, a microcosm of American society.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I thought last season you had to say the phrase every immunity challenge, no choice. Did that change, or am I misremembering?

I still don’t like “you win immunity plus the biggest prize.” Really keeps winners winning and losers losing.

Make three good prizes, and winner gets first pick.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
No, but it falls into choices and dilemmas. They’ve done “pick comfort or practical” stuff before.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Jonathan's actions and how people react compared to Shan's actions and how people react is interesting.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Hai is using “gaslight” in the late millennial/early gen-z meaning of the term, which is to say “disagreeing with me or telling me I’m wrong, or being deceitful or manipulative.”

He is not using it in the accepted use of the term, which is “an orchestrated campaign to drive one insane through making them doubt their own perceptions by purposefully changing reality then convincing them it was that way the whole time.”

Which it suddenly occurs to me was part of the mental torture used on Filitov in Cardinal of the Kremlin, but before the word was associated with the idea.

Anywho, I think Maryanne won in tribal. She clearly has public speaking training she employed (but is still young and inexperienced enough to not slow down enough) but pulling the idol and detailing the plan cinched it.

The closest any final tribal candidate has come to flat out saying “yeah I lied, it’s part of the game. It doesn’t reflect on how I treat people out of the game, any more than bluffing in poker or being ruthless in monopoly does” is Lil the scout master.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Cool, good on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I’m just wondering if we’re going to see race become a factor in people’s strategy.

“Well, they’re dominating challenges, have an idol and two advantages, and great social game, but another POC was just booted out, so……”