Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Maybe I'm being oversensitive here, but did anyone else find it unsettling that a transgender person was shown as having mental illness and hiding something when the big stigmas around transgender people is that they're mentally ill or have been hiding their true selves?

I'm a CIS dude so maybe my bias is showing here but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Survivor shouldn't try to increase visibility and promote inclusion by confirming wrong and bigoted stereotypes on national television.

If anyone wants to tell me why I'm wrong, I'm here for it and promise not to get defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jackson definitely had agency over his own story being told, to be clear.

I think maybe it's the contrast with Zeke who talked about the stress of people thinking he was hiding something by transitioning or identifying as transgender. So seeing the show exploit or play up that angle with another player is what left a bad taste with me. I liked Jackson too and it sucks that this is how he'll be remembered as a player ( until he comes back another season)

Which is making me realize that I think i have ideas about right and wrong ways of being transgender, and that's my issue to work on. Anyways, I hope I didn't offend because that wasn't my intent. My favorite part of the last 4-5 seasons of Survivor is the push for inclusion because it gives me a great opening to pause the show and to talk about social issues with my kids.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't care who wins I just want Tori gone. I don't usually have a negative reaction to contestants but I cannot stand her.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Narcissus1916 posted:

All you need to know about Daniel is that he was on Jeb!'s campaign back in the day.

I love this because it's the most apt description possible of Daniel.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I liked when his tribe was like, "Daniel can talk circles around us, he's a lawyer!"

Really?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

How come nobody is talking about Mike being really supportive of Omar's virginity and which one of the posters in this thread / Pet Island is Omar?

Omar: I've been with her 6 years and it's really great I really love her.

Mike: So you're a virgin? That's great! Good for you man. :lmao:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've always told my fam that if I was ever on Survivor, I would throw my letter from home directly into the fire to show Jeff how hardcore and committed to The Game I am. No distractions!

Just once I'd like to see someone do it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hai may not have won but I feel like he's the hero of s42. Helping Romeo come to terms with his sexuality was very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Antiquated Pants posted:

What about a mid-thirties white man with long luscious locks of flowing hair?? That has to count for something! ...asking for a friend

How do you feel about putting dreads in?