Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Another Bill posted:

Maybe I'm being oversensitive here, but did anyone else find it unsettling that a transgender person was shown as having mental illness and hiding something when the big stigmas around transgender people is that they're mentally ill or have been hiding their true selves?

I'm a CIS dude so maybe my bias is showing here but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Survivor shouldn't try to increase visibility and promote inclusion by confirming wrong and bigoted stereotypes on national television.

If anyone wants to tell me why I'm wrong, I'm here for it and promise not to get defensive.

I think it would be more weird to downplay it just because it's unflattering or perpetuates a stereotype. Unless you think they allowed him on the show so they could set up some sort of "gotcha" moment, this whole situation was Jackson's doing and Jackson making the community look whatever way people interpret it, not Survivor's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm glad the editors finally figured out it's ok to not show us every event in chronological order (loved the reveal they did with Naseer's idol last season too).

I really have to disagree with this. I don’t like being kept in the dark on stuff like this because I always felt that half the fun of watching the show was knowing little things like that that the other survivors might not have pieced together yet. Seeing someone say “X” and sitting at home like “Oh poo poo they don’t know Y” and watching the situation develop until they find out was great, and the new “selective” editing is just meant to red herring the viewer into believing one thing so they can have an explosive “reveal”.

I feel like it’s an evolution of the situation where there’s a person who’s obviously going to be voted off but they make sure to mention a “maybe” alternative to keep the last 15 minutes of the show exciting. They want to create narratives instead of letting the viewer watch them unfold for themselves, so they edit out important information to save these Deus Ex Machina “twists” for all the important moments.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

SweetJahasus posted:

Welp, here's Jonathan's audition tape. Check at 0:17 and who he's bodyguarding for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoP1fwnzZHs

Dang I was hoping to see more people bend over backwards to defend this dude because he’s conventionally attractive (while clowning on Strunk! as a weasley republican) but you just went and put the nail in it :colbert:

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

ApplesandOranges posted:

Exit press is out and apparently, Omar found an idol nullifier pretty early in the game. He was going to use it on Mike at F5.

And it was apparently his undoing because Jonathan (who found it with him) found out he had told Lindsay. That lost Jonathan's trust, so he told Mike, and that lost Mike's trust.

I hate that they just edit stuff like this out. Now we just get the TV narrative instead of getting to have some idea of what’s actually going on? I’d rather just watch scripted television.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Propaganda Machine posted:

A family member called while the "reunion" was happening. Was it any good?

No, the immediate post-vote "reunion" is terrible. After a predictably near-unanimous vote, at one point Jeff asked the jury if any of them were going to vote for Mike (just to twist the knife I guess) and got some half-hearted "eh maybe" responses that Mike got to try to ruminate on while housing cold pizza. It was a mess lol.

Does anybody actually buy the "I don't already have my mind made up" line from the folks who have been hanging out at Ponderosa together for a week+? How many of the last 5 seasons have been unanimous or nearly so? How is the audience supposed to believe that the jury interview matters and doesn't just make for a little drama before they pick the winner?

That said, I'm stoked Maryanne won. The edit made it pretty predictable but she seems like an all around sweet person and she played the modern game post-merge.