Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bachelard rear end posted:

I was a little disappointed we didn’t get to see them scramble to lie about the mud and blood more. Hai even said to Lydia that the blood was his own, which seems really easily disproven if someone were to press him on it, but it never came up.

Was also interesting that because of the Jackson segment, there was also no fallout shown with the 3 that went to do the prisoners dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A Fancy Hat posted:

It sounded to me more like he told them he's taking LIthium and the Survivor crew just didn't have enough time to research what the possible negative side effects from being on Survivor could be. Presumably he was taking it on the island (they let you take prescriptions there, right?) and the med team eventually decided it was too risky.

I think it's more likely he tried to quit taking it and just didn't tell them about it. And possibly the stress of getting ready to go out and he realized that it was going to be a problem...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

Okay, I call bullshit here. Most reality shows keep multiple people as alternates through the early episodes for exactly this reason. Even with two people down (and we almost had another dude out with his shoulder) they should have still had someone who could step in.

Then again, COVID probably hosed up any semblance of normal regulations.

Survivor doesn't really have that luxury. They can't just bring someone in 3 days into the season and have them join up with the cast. It's quite believable that the day before they got to the beach that the producers would have thought the cast was set and sent the alternatives home. Assuming they launch early in the morning, it's quite likely "the day before" could have been just the night / less than 12 hours prior.

Well poo poo then :lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Much like the return from the prisoners dilemma, I'm sure it was brought up but not really any meaningful drama came from it so they chose not to air it. It's probably pretty obvious that the 3 that took forever on that leg of the challenge but all came back together had some sort of twist to take part in.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

The "Survivor's First Openly Trans Player" is 110% going to return in a future season.

Well there was Zeke... even though I guess he maybe wasn't open about it until Varner was a shithead... Honestly don't remember any Survivor confessionals ever to know when exactly he opened up.

I think there is likely a 0% chance they will have Jackson back on in the future, I imagine they spend quite a bit of time & money getting Survivor players ready for the game and the producers are likely not too happy with the situation.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TheCenturion posted:

I thought last season you had to say the phrase every immunity challenge, no choice. Did that change, or am I misremembering?

I still don’t like “you win immunity plus the biggest prize.” Really keeps winners winning and losers losing.

Make three good prizes, and winner gets first pick.

There's no participation prizes in Survivor.

They did say they changed some of the variables to the twists between seasons, so maybe they gave them the option?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Brass posted:

I decided last season to skip 42 and maybe catch up later before it's over.

Meanwhile, is it safe to talk about Australian Survivor here? I started watching at the urging of others in the last thread and I've finally caught up to the current season 9. I was able to get some family members hooked onto it similarly after telling them how good it is compared to the US version. Australian Survivor is extremely refreshing, it's especially nice to have 2 episodes a week to look forward to.

There's also this new CBS spinoff called Beyond the Edge. It's billed as 'Celebrity Survivor', gonna check it out now.

Edit: watched the first episode, seems promising but they keep bringing up Christianity lol. Literally every 10 minutes or so. Anyways, they compete in teams for charity donations and also get some for each night they last, not sure if there is a maximum stay but they can leave any time. I like the low stakes focus on teamwork.

I've made a thread for the current season of Australian Survivor, although it's pretty dead and I have fallen pretty far behind the current season so haven't posted much either https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991768

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maryanne likely goes - Omar/Jonathan have been called out as close, as are Jonathan/Lindsay. Also it's impossible for Jonathan or Lindsay to be voted out if they go to tribal unless the three-way idol gets activated, since only Jonathan and Lindsay can vote on the tribe right now.

It is an interesting dynamic. Right now Jonathan / LIndsay have all the power. But if the idol gets activated, then Maryanne basically has all the power herself... Although also, Omar has no reason to believe he isn't getting an extra vote the next time he goes to tribal, but instead he won't get to vote at all.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i dont know where everyones getting the idea the phrases are mandatory

Well production has given 0 information to the viewers about it accept for this... which is a photo of the clue that says they must say it...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nihonniboku posted:

Ozzy has come out as bisexual

https://twitter.com/OzzyLusth/status/1512362913415274498

Which isn't a big surprise given that he's done videos with other men at his onlyfans. They weren't graphic though, so I thought it was just gaybait.

Hmm, a bisexual republican? How does this work?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I find tori totally bland, and I usually enjoy a wildcard instigator.

Kind of agree. Somehow Tori is both bland and insufferable. It's pretty hard to get such a mix.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly unless he has been sandbagging this whole way. It seems like Jonathan is going to struggle quite a bit. Not too many challenges post merge are just physical... Doesn't seem like he's too good at puzzles and I can't imagine a lot of the pain endurance challenges are going to be easy for a giant.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Jonathan is the only survivor I've actually cared about in the past few seasons.
He seems like the kind of guy you could go out drinking with, and at the end of the night he would carry your drunk rear end home, feed your dog, then come over the next morning and fry up a bunch of eggs and bacon.
Just seems like a cool dude, I'll be sad when he inevitably gets voted off.

At least you know he'll be back like 5 times in the future.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't know, I'll still stick by Jonathan being awesome at Survivor. And I'm not really sure if taking a bodyguard gig for one of your Dad's friends is really the worst thing either. Even if the person is a giant piece of poo poo, if you need a job and money, it's probably a good gig.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Another Bill posted:

How come nobody is talking about Mike being really supportive of Omar's virginity and which one of the posters in this thread / Pet Island is Omar?

Omar: I've been with her 6 years and it's really great I really love her.

Mike: So you're a virgin? That's great! Good for you man. :lmao:

I don't know, Omar is doing it because he's muslim and for religious purposes. Mike just seems like an all around good guy and just soaking in everyone's life story.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Can someone remind me exactly how the amulet works so I don't have to look it up. And also who has them.

It gains slightly better Survivor advantages the fewer people with an amulet are in the game. Ends as an idol with only 1 left, and some poo poo with votes with 2 & 3 people.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Raxivace posted:

No. The dice metaphor is incredibly misleading but it seems to be a lottery system where there's between 1 and 2 winning "Safe" papers, not something where every individual player could potentially become immune.

Tori winning would mean that Lindsey gets Cirie'd as the last player without immunity.

I imagine there is always only 6 scrolls of paper in the bag with 1 of them being "Safe"

There is basically not any scenario ever where more than 6 people would want to play their shot in the dark at the same tribal, so there's no reason for them to do a 2/12 in the bag. (Realistically, it's highly unlikely you'd even have 2 people play it at once)

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 28, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kind of interesting to see Drea flip the script so much and have so much emotion with Rocksroy being voted out and turning it into a very open & honest discussion on race. But in doing so, Maryanne and Drea both burned their idols and probably hurt their game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

Seriously. This bugged me. You play your shot in the dark in the booth when you're not sure where the votes will fall. Without the alternative voting process that happened, Drea and Maryanne don't necessarily play their idols before the vote, so Tori wouldn't have had that information as a sure thing and her own vote wouldn't necessarily have been restricted to going for Lindsay. She only went for shot in the dark after she knew she was about to be voted out/the votes were "cast", which isn't how it's supposed to work at all. I'm really surprised production allowed that, it was extremely sloppy of them.

I don't know, the way things played out I don't think it is really a big deal at all as it was pretty much crystal clear to Jeff how the votes were going to fall after Drea and Maryanne played their idols before the votes (which has always been allowed in the past), which caused Jeff to go to the alternate vote because it was crystal clear how everyone was voting.

Tori knew where the votes were going to fall, because everyone just told her to her face that it was her over Lindsey. So Jeff called the audible on the vote, which also would free up a couple minutes for the edit as there was a lot to get in that tribal.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It does seem like one of the most drastic turns of an edit I can remember on Survivor. Jonathan pretty quickly went from being a lovable challenge beast to making a complete rear end in a top hat out of himself in 1 episode.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Celebrity Survivor with Jeff as a contestant and Boston Rob and Sandra splitting host duties and not letting anyone get away with any bullshit.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

LionArcher posted:

I was going to say Gordon Ramsey (At tribal he's eating an amazing meal in front of them that he cooked, they can't have any) but yes, that's even better.

This only works if he makes surprise visits into camp and gets mad at their lovely Risotto and dumps their rice on the ground.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm not sure that this is a group of players that would give someone the win just because they were really strong at challenges during the season. That's really all Jonathan has over most of the players left in the game.

Sure he's played an okay social game, but we've also seen hints of him being pretty dismissive of other players, which is likely a big strike against him. And outside of maybe Romeo or Lindsey, the rest of the players left have also played really strong social games.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Interesting how much season 41 & 42 have paralleled running some of the same gimmicks. Both seasons players didn't do the Monty Hall game the "correct" way, but stayed in the game. And both seasons players sniffed out the knowledge is power advantage and neutered it.

I also wonder if they had a plan if everyone just said they felt safe and didn't want to compete in the immunity challenge...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Antiquated Pants posted:

I think the Do or Die boxes are rigged for whatever Jeff wants them to be. It's such a lovely gimmick, but for the 1 of 2 competitors to possibly be kicked out would be beyond lovely and punish players for competing seems wrong. Maybe if they all competed and the first one, but even still, terrible gimmick for drama IMO.

I don't think there is anyway for Jeff to rig the game. It's an honest Monty Hall game that went the players way both seasons, despite the not optimal strategy. There's not going to be a way for Jeff to swap the box a Survivor picked without it being completely obvious to the players or jury.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CODChimera posted:

yeah no more of that please.

dunno why drea told omar, there was no real reason to do that

Everyone tells Omar everything and then he burns them :lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

You could rig the first half of the game easily enough by just marking the boxes. That guarantees that no matter what box is picked Jeff can open a skull first and offer the dramatic 50/50 swap.

Well that is a fundamental step to the Monty Hall game that they are playing. So there is a 100% chance Jeff knows which box has the flame, it's part of the game of chance they are playing. Jeff / the host will always open the box (or door) that doesn't have the prize.

I also don't think the game would be actually rigged in favor of a castaway, as it would be much more publicity and drama for the show to have someone get kicked off the game that way... and they love drama. It's why they won't make any attempts to stop players from burning bridges on their way out after being voted off.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

We're gonna need more rice eating montages.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nihonniboku posted:

The early seasons all had issues with casual homophobia. I was shocked at that on rewatch in 2020. Brandon and Frank in Africa was another one, it was played for laughs, isn't it funny when a gay man and a homophobic bigot go on a date? Boston Rob showed his homophobic rear end in Marquesas too.

Yea, it's easy to hate on it, but it was what was acceptable behavior at the time. Survivor is quite a time capsule of how far the world has come in the 20+ years it's been on. There's not too much media in the early 2000s that actually shines a positive light on homosexuality as being a normal thing, especially not a mostly unscripted reality show...

The same year as Marquesas, the Friends episode, "The one with Chandler's Dad" aired... Which they put a laugh track behind calling Chandler's transgender parent the correct pronouns.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well they wouldn't do fire on a tie vote, but everything else is pretty much correct. Really bazaar for Lindsay to not play her idol as insurance there. Since a tiebreaker there would go to rocks if they didn't all agree, I can't imagine Mike or Maryanne not just agreeing to vote off Jonathan though if Omer was safe.

I actually don't think anyone will beat Maryanne at this point if she's in the final 3. She's played a good game, and played a good social game while being upbeat the whole game (even if to the point of being annoying). She likely already has Drea & Chanelle's votes locked in, probably Omer's vote as well for her play there, doubt there was any hard feelings from him for that play.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Romeo going to win by coaching the other 2.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Maryanne's case is also boosted by a pretty weak final five in terms of game resume

Jonathan's case is entirely in his immunity wins
Mike's case is entirely in his likeability (which is a rough case when sitting next to Maryanne)
Romeo is one of the GOAT goats

Lindsay is really the only one who can challenge her.

Not even sure if Lindsay can challenge Maryanne. They both basically played the same game all the way. But Maryanne has the race discussion tribal & then just made the big move to blow up Omer / Lindsay's game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

In a stunning surprise twist. The final tribal is going to turn into a beauty pageant between Jonathan & Maryanne and Romeo is going to be their to coach both of them to win the game!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Studio posted:

Also looking at the extra vote wiki page, this looks like the only successful extra vote that had an impact on the person eliminated. There have been other technically successful extra votes, but usually it's just extra votes on someone being elimianted, or edge cases like shan spreading out two votes as insurance against a blindside (Technically that extra vote caused the tie, but then Shan's main vote fails?? That one is weird)

:popclap: Maryanne Cred :popclap:

Maryanne, the GOAT strategist? :popclap:

Also I imagine she probably got annoying in the first week or so for Survivors. But her positivity would probably be pretty welcomed after 3+ weeks of everyone being miserable...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pandaal posted:

No, the immediate post-vote "reunion" is terrible. After a predictably near-unanimous vote, at one point Jeff asked the jury if any of them were going to vote for Mike (just to twist the knife I guess) and got some half-hearted "eh maybe" responses that Mike got to try to ruminate on while housing cold pizza. It was a mess lol.

Does anybody actually buy the "I don't already have my mind made up" line from the folks who have been hanging out at Ponderosa together for a week+? How many of the last 5 seasons have been unanimous or nearly so? How is the audience supposed to believe that the jury interview matters and doesn't just make for a little drama before they pick the winner?

That said, I'm stoked Maryanne won. The edit made it pretty predictable but she seems like an all around sweet person and she played the modern game post-merge.

I think it's kind of the benefit to Jeff reading the votes and then moving into the reunion right away. The jury can have a pretty honest look at themselves and actually not have their mind up and also know / remember that their mind was not made up when Jeff asks that question. I think there's a pretty good chance many jury members in the past have been pretty honest in asking the jury questions and being swayed on who to vote for. And really if everyone on the jury went into the final tribal every season, knowing who they would vote for, I think that the producers would reduce the amount of importance they put on the final jury questions.

I also think of all the seasons, Maryanne's jury speech most definitely swayed some votes her way, although she likely would have won the majority anyway. I can't imagine the jury went into the tribal going to go 8-1 for Maryanne. With everyone sharing advantages and idols this season, it likely was a pretty loving big deal that she pulled out an idol that she'd had since the merge and nobody knew about it.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 29, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Not wanting to be spoilered. The best option is probably to :filez: the last season. Still a handful of seeders on last seasons episodes.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 22, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

njsykora posted:

Paramount+ launched in the UK and it has exactly 0 Survivor episodes but multiple seasons of The Challenge.

Pretty sure they haven't added back the international Survivors to the US Paramount+ either. After they mysteriously had licensing issues a month before Survivor 42 aired and had to pull all them all...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Leatherhead posted:

He's also the first Survivor heel, so Jeff hasn't learned how to deal with them yet. Everyone before that was an unintentional villain, so when Johnny, for example, shows up drunk to the sacred institution of tribal council, Jeff is surprised that he can't be shamed. Pearl island also has the first quit, and Probst/the show basically do everything except spit on the guy's grave. Fast forward one season where Jeff calms the hell down after the double quit, and by season 10 he's basically pressuring Janu to quit so Stephanie can stay in the game..

I'm not sure if Jeff really calmed down with All-Stars (spoiler if the goon watching Pearl Islands wants to watch it after) Jenna quit because her mom had cancer and was dying, and felt like she needed to go home. Her mom died 8 days after she got home. No way they would even try to make that edit bad. And then Sue left after getting sexually assaulted, again no way the show is going to make that a bad edit.

Jeff was still pretty harsh on some of the later quits in the later seasons, especially Colton.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

nexous posted:

Australian survivor superiority. The era of Jeff has ended. All hail Jonathon.

Yes. Australian Survivor still 50 loving days long and Jonathan copied everything Jeff did in the early seasons, but has evolved to be way more fun. Only real downside is they have 24 episodes to make and have to have a couple surprise non elimination twists along the way.

The new season (sometime in 2023) will be a Heroes Vs. Villains with 12 returning and 12 new players. Their last, Blood Vs Water season seemed pretty good but I got busy and haven't finished it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well since I don't have to worry about getting last, I'm in the fantasy league. All-in on Coco Tribe.