Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This was the first episode I liked this season. Although that is not that weird it often takes a while for me to warm up to the casts, and it’s usually the worst gameplay pre-merge.

I really hope this is the last of this time reversal gimmick though. I say that absolutely rolling over Tori saying “he’ll probably like it” about Rox…and dude clearly loved it. Strong Al Bundy energy. He won’t win so I can enjoy that freely.

Tori is every 20 something therapist I came across either professionally or as a consumer of the service so I have a soft spot even though she is kind of the worst. Romeo and Hai’s moment was sweet and I loved all the Mike chats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was flipping through Pluto and lined up with the very first Survivor episode.

It is funny because the cinematography is really good even back then. But the other production all feels cheap. Does really tickle the nostalgia.

If I ever catch up on all the shows I need to catch up on maybe I will do a whole rewatch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

oh sure, NOW all of a sudden Tori wants a shot

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Geeze man that was heartbreaking. Good on Drea and Maryanne and I wish the world was better so they didn’t have to play with an extra burden.

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean it's also happened before where the minority becomes the majority in one of the new mini tribes. Or you just have what happened tonight where the majority uses this as an opportunity to take out one of their own because it's easier to swing.

I actually don't like it because of the first thing. Would just be a really lovely way to get voted out if you positioned yourself well in a majority.

They talked about it on the Survivor Know ir Alls last week and they couldn’t come up with a time where the mini tribes actually broke the majority off the top of their heads post merge. I am sure it’s happened but at this point I have given up betting on it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Watching season 2 . . . this is such a time capsule of the early 2000s, way more than season 1 or current seasons are of current times. The clothes are amazing, everyone but Colby are in the baggiest of clothes, and he has the most pre-911 hair ever. Now I'm on the episode where they have the "Outback Internet Cafe." lmao. These ancient computers. And the people they talk to back home look like even more relics of the past, in particular it looks like Colby is emailing his mom in Victorian England (with a Texas flag).

I didn't have a TV when this was new so I listened to this season on a Sony Walkman which could get TV band. I was missing so much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 2 doesn't hold up as much today, although back in the day I thought it was one of the greatest. It's very much a response to season 1 in that a lot of people thought the idea of alliances were distasteful, and didn't like that a "villain" won. The theme of season 2 ended up being about who was the most deserving (Christian) to make it to the end, and anyone who dared to try and make moves and not accept their spot on the bottom of the not-alliance was seen as a sore loser.

It has some iconic moments and characters, but the way the season ultimately plays out is frustrating to rewatch after 40 seasons. Especially the way they portrayed Jerri has some black widow, and the most hated woman in America. If she had competed for the first time today, that never would have happened.

Agreed all around, especially on Jerri. It's all rather tame compared to stuff like two people a season do now.

Khanstant posted:

. was season 1 or 2 the one with that jackass who voted people purely on alphabetical order. lol

Hahah, that was season 1.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
People complain about production now but drat they stack the deck for Colby so much in this show. Including a reward challenge that was made up of a best of exclusively challenges he already won and these rewards start to feel like things Jeff wants to do with Colby rather than reality show faire.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Maryanne would have been the most surprising winner ever had they cut this off at the merge and picked a winner then, I was like "well maybe she'll learn something for when they bring her back." But drat it turns out she knew what she was doing, she played a great game and at some point before the Omer vote I started to think she might actually win the thing. The fact that she was able to break down her strategy so thoroughly was wonderful, and holding that idol until the speech was a great move, you could tell Mike and Romeo knew they were done then.

I found the first half of the season awful, but I'm pretty sure I say that every season, it takes me a while to warm up to the casts. I enjoyed the second half quite a bit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The best recent mole copy of the year to me so far is Rat in the Kitchen because Natasha Leggero is funny and they actually show most of the sabotage and somehow I still only notice it about a quarter of the time.

I am watching Pearl Islands for the first time because it is one big ones I had missed. I’m about halfway through and am surprised how smooth it is going down. I actually “get” Rupert now in his original seasons. In later seasons I was severely annoyed by him but here he is kind of cool. And he actually is playing the game. Taking it a little too serious yeah but there is at least some attempt at strategy.

Also I don’t know if we are missing something from the edit, or maybe it’s too early…and I don’t feel too bad for him knowing how awful he is but it actually feels like Probst is overreacting way too much to Fairplay who is barely a villain at this point.

E: also the mid season twist really sucks a lot, lol. Although since I know who won the season I imagine it doesn’t matter too much.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 22, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Thoughts on Pearl Island. I'll spoil it since I know sometimes people watch old shows here.

It's a very entertaining season. The Outcast Tribe twist was an awful idea that actually worked pretty good in the sense that it really upended what almost surely would have been a pagonging by whatever side got day 1 immunity.

I had forgotten THAT was the thing Fairplay did. Lol what a tool.

Sandra is interesting because she's really not playing until Rupert goes out and even then it maybe takes an episode for her to get her feet beneath her but she really does a good job of talking people into keeping her, well, the whole way. And drat she invented the Russell strategy of trashing the camp early. I wonder what things are like if she goes through with it. Or maybe she did, that fish story is mighty fishy to me. Great jury performance though...well...not that she needed it.

drat, Darrah ruled, why didn't she come back? Three immunity wins in a row for someone in that frame is amazing. Actually there are a lot of people I liked on this cast and would have been happy to see again

Lil actually played a decent game after her return. I think people couldn't get over the uniform though. Or the fact she cried after every good move she made. Interesting strategy though attacking the jury. I was kind of surprised she got a vote but Tijuana made a better case for her being the winner than Lil did

Fun show. My history is 1-3 (although I barely remember 3 and I no lie followed it via audio only) then China forward. Any of the rest I should catch?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
So I definitely have seen All-Stars and Cook Island. I think I thought China happened several earlier.

Looking at a list it seems I was maybe just watching one season a year and missing the other season that took place for several years. At this point maybe I should just finish the missing ones off.

Sure wish Hulu still had almost the complete run.

Leatherhead posted:

Probably because as far as she made it, they still only found like two usable confessionals for her the whole season. Someone who's going to do well AND not be interesting is probably the last thing the producers want.

I guess the fact that I didn’t know her name started with the letter ‘D’ until she started getting votes is probably a big vote against how interesting she was.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 27, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Probably a slight bump for the thread because S43 is coming in a few weeks.

Here's some pre-season interviews with the cast if you want to get a first impression. I already have several ponies.

I never know what to think of these although some people look interesting at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There are like 3-4 people no one has picked, do I have the balls to cut p eople I think have an okay shot for people that I will likely score some points with that no one else will even if I don't think they'll win? No.