Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I started watching survivor in 2019 with season 1, and thanks in large part to the pandemic I've caught up with the whole series, so this is the first season I'm watching live. That also makes this one of the few seasons where I wasn't inadvertantly spoiled on the winner going in (thanks to general online info and things like the DVD covers having the winners above the logo).

I think I'm pulling for Hai, although his decision to smear blood all over himself doesn't bode terribly well for the sort of decision he'll make under pressure. Wasn't sad to see Zach go and I hope Swathi follows close behind him, though right now she seems like the sort to hang on into the merge and get cut as a consensus vote when the real target has immunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Oh yeah it's not the hardest thing to play off, it just feels like an unforced error - one of those traps the producers like to put out there like half the offers in Island of the Idols. I did laugh when after the first challenge Lydia seemed super worried for him, but fortunately it seems not to have been an issue.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'm looking forward to MaryAnn revealing where she stashed the cocaine from Survivor Panama.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Poor voteless Mike. If I asked for my idol back and someone claimed they never had it, and I had to make them go look for it, and then ask for the OTHER part back, and they pulled it out of their underwear, I would not feel great about them running point for me at tribal.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Chili posted:

This feels very much like a hate the game not the player situation. Production is letting him do it. He's trying his hardest to navigate entirely new advantages and I can't fault him for finding an angle. I do hope that production is being even handed about it.

Yeah, Ive got absolutely nothing against Mike here. I actually assumed it was fine because there was another clause involved, like 'you must say x to activate the power of the idol' or 'in order to regain your vote you must say x'. If not, and it's worded to imply you have to say it no matter what, then I'm glad the producers are ignoring it because requiring people to say stupid poo poo in front of everyone on penalty of disqualification is lame as hell.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well production has given 0 information to the viewers about it accept for this... which is a photo of the clue that says they must say it...

Oh! Yeah this is what I was talking about; that doesn't read as mandatory to me. "This is how you will know: You must say... etc."

Don't say it, and you won't know.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I think they might have voted Chanelle if they were certain this was the last vote before the merge, but they were worried they'd have to run Strunk in one or more immunities, and end up right back at tribal.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Yeah, Ozzy is very much not a Republican. In interviews he pretty much uses 'republican' as a by-word for 'bad person'.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

'But if you smash this hourglass, Daniel Strunk will NOT have been voted out, and instead Jonathan will go home...'

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I have no idea why I like Tori. She's not playing very well and she'd probably be annoying on the island. I guess she just reminds me of so many people that I spent my twenties drinking with, but I grin every time she Mr. Magoos her way through another vote.

It'll probably stop being funny when she somehow gets my boy Hai voted out instead of her.

I do think it bodes well for Hai that he apparently knew going in that he didn't have the votes to save Lydia. It means he hasn't been shut out of the loop. Not sure I agree with Omar's thinking on keeping Mary Ann instead of blindsiding her, but good on him for whipping the votes.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

First episode we saw him completely whiff on the triangle count, realize he was out of his depth, and gracefully decide to just go build camp while other people solved it. That doesn't mean he'd necessarily be awful at all puzzles, but I don't think it's a confidence area for him.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

The Bloop posted:

That may have been gameplay but I definitely think he's just smart enough to know his strengths and let others on the tribe play to theirs. His social game is genuinely good but it mostly just seems like he's actually a nice guy. He certainly has self control as demonstrated by the great chatterbox montage

Yeah, as I see it he's probably not quite as well-rounded as Mike Holloway was (or he has stiffer competition anyway), but his much better social position means he might not actually HAVE to have immunity or an idol at every tribal council.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'll never meet any of these people and I can't influence the game so it's easy to just treat them as imaginary characters on TV. What are the odds Tony V isn't a giant piece of poo poo? Yul Kwon worked for Facebook. Penner wrote The Bye Bye Man.

If there's another second chances poll one of these days I'll pay attention to who deserves it, but in the mean time trying to bend reality towards justice with the fury of my posting seems like a recipe for misery.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Wow, huge malpractice on that second tribal council. If Lindsey had gotten voted out because Tori knew to play a shot in the dark, Jeff would have been 100% to blame there. Very uncool.

I felt Johnathan's timer running out as he was misplaying the conversations with Mary Ann and Lindsey, and now that he's alienated at least half the remaining players he's a dead man walking. I hope he goes next week to give my boy Hai time to turn this around, because Hai's getting credit for everything a little too early for his health.

Tori's wild ride had to come to an end eventually. RIP. Very, very funny that she now has to go to ponderosa with Chanelle and Rocksroy, and listen to them talk about how great and courageous the people who just voted her out are.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Let Johnathan Penner host it, just to punish Jeff.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Alphabet dude is the same one who won't stop saying f****t a bunch in the last few episodes because clearly Richard said it to him once and now it's cool, his new gay friend totally gave him permission to throw it around like confetti.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Lindsay might have a reason to keep her idol if no one else knows it expires at 6. She can bluff it at five as the last night she can play it, and keep the vote on someone else.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Shneak posted:

A part of me started rooting for Romeo after he won immunity just based on how nonsensical that win would be but he also did much better than I thought he would at tribal.

Yeah I thought he acquitted himself pretty well considering what he had to work with. He didn't come off as delusional or just give up like Troyzan or someone. I wasn't the biggest Maryanne fan, but I think her final tribal performance might be an all-timer. It reminded me of a good dissertation defense, and combined with how badly Mike misread the jury, I can believe that she really did change some votes there.

I really dug Hai all season, but I think 'gaslight' is a bit strong to describe lying on Survivor. From the exit press I read, it sounds like he was irritated because Romeo kept invoking his religion when lying, and Hai is an atheist.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

The closest any final tribal candidate has come to flat out saying “yeah I lied, it’s part of the game. It doesn’t reflect on how I treat people out of the game, any more than bluffing in poker or being ruthless in monopoly does” is Lil the scout master.

Actually (and I only know this cause I just rewatched Cook Island with a friend), Yul Kwon says almost exactly that in response to Penner's final tribal council question. Which coincidentally is the same season Penner says "There's no villain in monopoly. There's no villain in a poker tournament."

Also, cool to see Hai acknowledge the weird choice of words.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

That's really disappointing about Drea, Shan too I guess. But as much as they were fun players, I'm now very very okay with not seeing them on TV again.

All the more reason to bring back Cydney from Kaoh Rong instead!

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Chili is running a forums Survivor game that is recruiting:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003414&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

If you've never played a SA Survivor game they are very fun and I can tell you personally that Chili has been working on it for awhile.

Man, I saw that, but summer's just my busy season. If Chili does have to postpone to September I'd probably be down then.

I hope you guys find the players so I can lurk the discord. I only finished watching through survivor right before 42, so this is the first time in a couple years I haven't had a season to watch.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Also I don’t know if we are missing something from the edit, or maybe it’s too early…and I don’t feel too bad for him knowing how awful he is but it actually feels like Probst is overreacting way too much to Fairplay who is barely a villain at this point.

He's also the first Survivor heel, so Jeff hasn't learned how to deal with them yet. Everyone before that was an unintentional villain, so when Johnny, for example, shows up drunk to the sacred institution of tribal council, Jeff is surprised that he can't be shamed. Pearl island also has the first quit, and Probst/the show basically do everything except spit on the guy's grave. Fast forward one season where Jeff calms the hell down after the double quit, and by season 10 he's basically pressuring Janu to quit so Stephanie can stay in the game..

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Rick posted:

drat, Darrah ruled, why didn't she come back? Three immunity wins in a row for someone in that frame is amazing. Actually there are a lot of people I liked on this cast and would have been happy to see again

Probably because as far as she made it, they still only found like two usable confessionals for her the whole season. Someone who's going to do well AND not be interesting is probably the last thing the producers want.

Rick posted:

Fun show. My history is 1-3 (although I barely remember 3 and I no lie followed it via audio only) then China forward. Any of the rest I should catch?

A lot, IMO. 4/Marquesas is 'important' to survivor's history but not one of my favorites. 6/Amazon is really good if you don't mind some insanely dated 2000s gender attitudes. 10/Palau and 11/Guatemala make a nice double because of some returning players. 12/Panama is, for my money, the funniest season the show's ever had, and 13/Cook Islands is the introduction of a lot of famous players Ozzy, Parvati, Yul, Jonathan Penner, ~Candice~.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Rick posted:

I guess the fact that I didn’t know her name started with the letter ‘D’ until she started getting votes is probably a big vote against how interesting she was.

You still know more about her than her boyfriend.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Chili posted:

I know we're still waiting on a season 43 thread but for now:

Come play Fantasy Survivor!

Head over to https://www.tribal-council.com

Find out league with code: df9dbecb-7131-4836-ba25-99410ec1ca04

Join up, and draft away!

We assume SweetJahasus is making one right?

This is my first time drafting and for some reason I assumed you earned points for confessionals in an episode, not just good gameplay, so I may regret some of my choices very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

nexous posted:

New side bet on last place. Pick the poison

I feeeeel like it's Cassidy. Nothing against her personally, but I think blue is least likely to win the first challenge and she'd be the safest elimination.