Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i always liked spirit of the night art even if it wasnt the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Milo and POTUS posted:

i always liked spirit of the night art even if it wasnt the best

early big rear end black creatures had some great art

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 17, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I see your Joven and raise you a Johan

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

I see your Joven and raise you a Johan

gently caress yeah Legends Legends are insane

we're just now getting into what would eventually become the most popular format today, called Commander, originally informally called Elder Dragon Highlander.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 17, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Theres like 10 different formats right

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

Theres like 10 different formats right

It's complicated.

When I played seriously, accepted house rules became the "banned and restricted list" which gave us Type 1 and Type 2. Type 2 was the format with the most change. Type 2 became Standard, but this left the problem of Type 1 variants.

Later Type 1 would give us type 1.5, and then type 1.X. Type 1 would become Vintage, Type 1.5 would become Legacy and Type 1.X was called "Extended" for a long period.

e: Not sure where "Modern format" falls in this because I retired before it.

The long and short of it is that formats are living things, and every new set affects all formats unless they specifically disallow all new cards.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 17, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

BasicLich posted:

gently caress yeah Legends Legends are insane

let's rip that band-aid off

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Palladias-Mor seems kinda weak and lame compared to the others.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I love how old cards often felt the need to specify things about their rules that aren't even implied in the first place, like they were trying to guess at the wild assumptions players would be making about random poo poo. "I took damage from my own creature so therefore it can't atta- oh wait, the card says otherwise!"

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

BasicLich posted:

e: Not sure where "Modern format" falls in this because I retired before it.

The philosophy here changed at some point so instead of having a bunch of formats that rotate the same as Standard there's now Standard (rotating) and misc eternal formats, which are like "Set X and later". Instead of rotating they will sometimes print direct-to-eternal sets like Modern Horizons which are meant to do a kind of shakeup similar to a rotation.

Old rules text owns and people starting making old sounding rules text alters to be funny and last year WotC did a Secret Lair drop which is modern cards but with beta-era rules text.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

BasicLich posted:

MTG has gone in strange directions since I quit playing, among the most distressing was the apparent inclusion of Godzilla of all properties into MTG

I finally googled wtf those Godzilla cards they printed were so I could talk about them without sounding like Andy Rooney and it feels like these are magic cards wearing godzilla halloween costumes

the words circled in red here is the actual card, and frankly i'm very nonplussed at this revelation. I feel like just bringing Godzilla into MTG was somehow less insulting than this façade.

Besides the Walking Dead and Dracula cards that someone already mentioned, WotC has also done a Stranger Things pack and a Street Fighter pack. I believe they’ve announced that they’re doing Lord of the Rings and Warhammer 40k soon too. Oh, and there was a D&D Forgotten Realms set recently too.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i wonder what joven is up to these days that lovable bastard.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Something sinful, no doubt.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vidmaster posted:

Besides the Walking Dead and Dracula cards that someone already mentioned, WotC has also done a Stranger Things pack and a Street Fighter pack. I believe they’ve announced that they’re doing Lord of the Rings and Warhammer 40k soon too. Oh, and there was a D&D Forgotten Realms set recently too.

I've been playing Arena lately, and let me tell you coming up against a Forgotten Realms deck is aggravating as gently caress because it takes forever every time someone "enters the dungeon"."

C'mon man, I just want you to finish kicking my rear end, I don't need to wait 5 minutes while your effects resolve.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

This bear has bangin' titties.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

By day he's a city bus driver. By night, he's the headliner at Snarg's.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

This bear has bangin' titties.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

obithrawn posted:

The philosophy here changed at some point so instead of having a bunch of formats that rotate the same as Standard there's now Standard (rotating) and misc eternal formats, which are like "Set X and later". Instead of rotating they will sometimes print direct-to-eternal sets like Modern Horizons which are meant to do a kind of shakeup similar to a rotation.

Old rules text owns and people starting making old sounding rules text alters to be funny and last year WotC did a Secret Lair drop which is modern cards but with beta-era rules text.

They don't explain what "abandon" means. Do I put them in the grave? Back in the deck? Slightly further away from me on the table? Come on, get more granular!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

They don't explain what "abandon" means. Do I put them in the grave? Back in the deck? Slightly further away from me on the table? Come on, get more granular!

They also said it can be attacked as if it were you, but neglected to mention that burn spells which damage "any target" such as lightning bolt can remove loyalty. Not like the text can any finer than that...

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

They also said it can be attacked as if it were you, but neglected to mention that burn spells which damage "any target" such as lightning bolt can remove loyalty. Not like the text can any finer than that...

I don't see any point in discussing this, those text boxes might as well be a cry laughing emoji 🤣🤣🤣

just like how those Godzilla cards aren't actually Godzilla, but some cruel farce to sell cardboard.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Double posting because it's another issue of Better Know A Degenerate Combo Deck. Today's edition is about the Tolarian Academy Combo, hereafter called TAC for the purposes of this post.

TAC is probably the most powerful legal deck until long.dec (designed by the aforementioned Mike Long, we'll get into that later) but I would like to see combo deck head-to-heads to prove it. TAC is the first successful combo deck to be completely creatureless and completely Blue, aside from the Artifacts it relies on.

The core of TAC is these three cards:

How it functions is actually quite simple. You'll have a few artifacts in play and then untap Tolarian Academy repeatedly using Mind Over Matter and then fill your hand with even more cards, producing even more mana and then forcing your opponent to exhaust their deck with Stroke of Genius powered by all the mana you can produce. This is because if a player is forced to draw a card and cannot because their library is empty, they lose the game immediately.

Here's the original deck as it was played in type 2 (now called standard)

This deck is mostly card draw and artifact mana. This deck usually won by turn 2 and could win on turn 1 which is largely unheard of in the type 2/standard format.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

BasicLich posted:

Double posting because it's another issue of Better Know A Degenerate Combo Deck. Today's edition is about the Tolarian Academy Combo, hereafter called TAC for the purposes of this post.

TAC is probably the most powerful legal deck until long.dec (designed by the aforementioned Mike Long, we'll get into that later) but I would like to see combo deck head-to-heads to prove it. TAC is the first successful combo deck to be completely creatureless and completely Blue, aside from the Artifacts it relies on.

The core of TAC is these three cards:

How it functions is actually quite simple. You'll have a few artifacts in play and then untap Tolarian Academy repeatedly using Mind Over Matter and then fill your hand with even more cards, producing even more mana and then forcing your opponent to exhaust their deck with Stroke of Genius powered by all the mana you can produce. This is because if a player is forced to draw a card and cannot because their library is empty, they lose the game immediately.

Here's the original deck as it was played in type 2 (now called standard)

This deck is mostly card draw and artifact mana. This deck usually won by turn 2 and could win on turn 1 which is largely unheard of in the type 2/standard format.

What cards got banned or restricted to break the deck?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

What cards got banned or restricted to break the deck?

All of them, if you're asking about Standard :v:

Tolarian Academy is the only one that's banned in Legacy/restricted in Vintage afaik

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Devils Affricate posted:

All of them, if you're asking about Standard :v:

Tolarian Academy is the only one that's banned in Legacy/restricted in Vintage afaik

I guess in vintage there's enough other insane stuff that having the TAC deck go off only 25% as often is considered acceptable?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

unspent mana used to damage the player right? I could have swore that was a mechanic back in the day that they eventually got rid of but my friend who played a lot more said it didn't so now idk

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

I don't totally get Vintage but googling some lists right now it looks like the deck evolved into doing more powerful stuff, instead of generating a bunch of mana and casting a Stroke of Genius you're doing stuff like using Tinker to get Bolas's Citadel into play and then just having access to your entire deck at once or taking infinite turns or using a storm card to kill them. I think the part where you need to first generate a hundred mana is basically redundant now because so much other poo poo is available.

A traditional "Academy" list like that one listed was popular in the format for at least a decade after those sets came out though. Almost every card in that deck was restricted at one point in Vintage but a bunch of them were later unrestricted because they aren't good enough anymore I guess. I see even Crop Rotation (which could be used to get your 1 Academy into play) isn't restricted anymore so I guess that poo poo is too slow hilariously enough.

Milo and POTUS posted:

unspent mana used to damage the player right? I could have swore that was a mechanic back in the day that they eventually got rid of but my friend who played a lot more said it didn't so now idk

Right, unspent mana used to do damage to you but now it doesn't. Control decks that had Mana Drain before used to also need a "mana sink" to prepare just in case they got burdened with a ton of mana they couldn't easily spend.

obithrawn fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 19, 2022

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mana burn was a thing yeah. My dad and his friends used to play Magic when I was a kid which got me into Magic. One time I was pulling a come from behind victory against one of his buddies who was That Guy and a known cheater and he was equal parts pissed, embarrassed, and devastated at being beaten by a child in a card game for babies. My only creature could get any type of land walk (unblockable by creatures of that color) so I tapped a mana and declared an attack for game. He was literally pulling at his hair trying to find a way out of it until he said I didn't specify which kind of land walk I was using before declaring an attack which meant I didn't properly use the ability and so he blocked my creature and made me take mana burn. He won the next turn.

I never played against that douchebag again.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 19, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Was gathering mana from a tapped land an active thing? Like if i tapped an opponents land with twiddle or icy manipulator would that damage them? Or did that only count if they wanted to use it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Who What Now posted:

Mana burn was a thing yeah. My dad and his friends used to play Magic when I was a kid which got me into Magic. One time I was pulling a come from behind victory against one of his buddies who was That Guy and a known cheater and he was equal parts pissed, embarrassed, and devastated at being beaten by a child in a card game for babies. My only creature could get any type of land walk (unblockable by creatures of that color) so I tapped a mana and declared an attack for game. He was literally pulling at his hair trying to find a way out of it until he said I didn't specify which kind of land walk I was using before declaring an attack which meant I didn't properly use the ability and so he blocked my creature and made me take mana burn. He won the next turn.

I never played against that douchebag again.

lol :jerkbag:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was gathering mana from a tapped land an active thing? Like if i tapped an opponents land with twiddle or icy manipulator would that damage them? Or did that only count if they wanted to use it

I vaguely remember you could use twiddle and some tap/untap mechanism to kill by mana burn in the early days but I could be horribly misremembering.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
tapping a land or creature or w/e didn't force the opponent to use an ability, it was just tapped and couldn't be used until untapped

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
quod licet jovi non licet chandler

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

Never a problem for TAC because Stroke of Genius is the perfect kill card, "decking out" (being forced to draw with no cards in your library) is immediate and mana burn happened at the end of the phase/step. It's also instant speed so you can do mean things like let them think they're about to win and during their upkeep force them to pick up their whole library and lose

E: Like if your blue deck has 4 counterspells in your sideboard it's either a bad deck or should be illegal.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 19, 2022

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I was an imaginative and lonely child who bought the cards and played against herself a lot :unsmith:

I thought the d'avenant archer card had a hot lady. Also I read and enjoyed the terrible books following Gull the meat head and his weird druid sister. Yes I was a super popular kid!!!!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Joven was my childhood crush too oh my!!!!!!

(I was actually thinking of Jovi from 90 Day Fiance this whole time)

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Jon Bon Joven

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Joven an elevator!
Joven it up when I'm goin down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Also I read and enjoyed the terrible books following Gull the meat head and his weird druid sister. Yes I was a super popular kid!!!!

Oh God. This is reminding me I also heard a horrible mtg book. I recall it haven't a pretty intense sex sense in it.