Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I was left with absolutely no desire to squander thousands of dollars on nearly-disposable electronics. loving lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

go play outside Skyler posted:

ahem, you'll know I graduated university in 3-prong connector sciences so of course I would recognize it if I saw it

where did you see it because none of the renders on the website seem to show a 3-prong design

it's literally the shape of the plug, it's a normal 3-prong cord hole

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mediaphage posted:

was talking about the display

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

was talking about the display

my bad

it's just using a magsafe connector like imac, looks like

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mediaphage posted:

iec c13 is “normal”, not this c5 garbage

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

literally nobody cares, it's normal enough you'll be able to find cords for it if you want, stop whining about a power connector cutout

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

that's some Mickey Mouse poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Clark Nova posted:

I was left with absolutely no desire to squander thousands of dollars on nearly-disposable electronics. loving lame

i mean, the ipad air is a nice bump if you're looking for something to upgrade and your ipad is over 4 years old and you add literally every accessory possible to break that $1k minimum

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that's some Mickey Mouse poo poo

gently caress imagine I made this joke instead

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

my bad

it's just using a magsafe connector like imac, looks like

wonder if you'll be able to use a power supply with an ethernet connector on it

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mediaphage posted:

literally nobody cares, it's normal enough you'll be able to find cords for it if you want, stop whining about a power connector cutout

yes but what about the Cinema Display

seems like you will literally have to buy a special cable from apple if you lose it

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Perplx posted:

the mac studio was built exclusively for MKBHD and iJustine

Need all that cpu and gpu power to process 8K RED footage of tech products (really love being able to see finger print smudges and stray hairs that no one bothered to wipe off in high-resolution.).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yes but what about the Cinema Display

seems like you will literally have to buy a special cable from apple if you lose it

how often do you lose monitor power cables, be honest

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

they are just flexing that it uses as much power as a windows laptop

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mediaphage posted:

how often do you lose monitor power cables, be honest

i imagine apple thinks people loose them enough for it to be worth spending the r&d and tooling to develop their own power supply connector that they will sell you for 40$?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i imagine apple thinks people loose them enough for it to be worth spending the r&d and tooling to develop their own power supply connector that they will sell you for 40$?

lol

i think they already did all that work for the imac and decided to just throw it on the monitor too since it's a nicer experience when you set it up

i'd be surprised if they sell very many at all of the standalone cables to anyone outside of someone who wants a spare for another room or something

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mediaphage posted:

lol

i think they already did all that work for the imac and decided to just throw it on the monitor too since it's a nicer experience when you set it up

i'd be surprised if they sell very many at all of the standalone cables to anyone outside of someone who wants a spare for another room or something

but i thought the imac had a separate power brick? does that mean the apple display requires a separate power brick? that makes the thing even more expensive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but i thought the imac had a separate power brick? does that mean the apple display requires a separate power brick? that makes the thing even more expensive

I assume they’re just using the same ones as the big MacBook pros

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume they’re just using the same ones as the big MacBook pros

They mention the power cable being part of the box for the imacs. guess they just forgot to put it for the studio Display then

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wonder if it comes preplugged in or something, so it isn't considered 'separate'? it's weird looking, the contents just list the display and a tbolt cable

the xdr uses the three pronger like the studio

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

height adjustable stand is a 400$ premium

get hosed tim

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

has anyone loled that the display is still sixty hertz in the year of our lord twenty twenty two

cause i am loling about that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

but i thought the imac had a separate power brick?

it does and thats where the eth is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

has anyone loled that the display is still sixty hertz in the year of our lord twenty twenty two

cause i am loling about that

it’s not like you’re going to be playing rocket league on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graphics applications are like a million times better with higher refresh rates though. anything in photoshop, illustrator, any 3d program, etc is so much nicer to use with the increased responsiveness. it's why the ipad pro is the best drawing tablet thing -- that 120hz refresh rate. no other tablet displays refresh that fast.

it's really insane that they keep focusing so hard on ~retina~ and hdr and stuff while they're still bogged down at a refresh rate from 1982. spatial resolution is good enough already. temporal resolution is the new hotness

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mediaphage posted:

they make dongles for exactly this purpose.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

graphics applications are like a million times better with higher refresh rates though. anything in photoshop, illustrator, any 3d program, etc is so much nicer to use with the increased responsiveness. it's why the ipad pro is the best drawing tablet thing -- that 120hz refresh rate. no other tablet displays refresh that fast.

it's really insane that they keep focusing so hard on ~retina~ and hdr and stuff while they're still bogged down at a refresh rate from 1982. spatial resolution is good enough already. temporal resolution is the new hotness

meanwhile an LG 4K144 27" IPS is like $900. lol. lmao

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mediaphage posted:

its called a clover connector I think

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
waking up to no new mba… disappointing

Beyond ReTarTed.
Dec 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it'd be hell trying to purchase that apple product anyway. the cashier would give you incorrect change (which is robbery), there would be various surprise required card charges during setup, and you'd still need yet another court order to reach any sort usable functionality

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

its called a clover connector I think

it’s a mickey mouse connector for a real mickey mouse operation that tim runs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Beyond ReTarTed. posted:

it'd be hell trying to purchase that apple product anyway. the cashier would give you incorrect change (which is robbery), there would be various surprise required card charges during setup, and you'd still need yet another court order to reach any sort usable functionality

that’s android

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

what does the display having a processor actually do for it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assume it runs the camera and speakers.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it does some kinda noise cancellation for the webcam and probably image processing. i assume it also handles spatial audio

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gentle Autist posted:

it does some kinda noise cancellation for the webcam and probably image processing. i assume it also handles spatial audio
it does the CenterStage (live focus on whoever is talking) processing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

SRQ posted:

what does the display having a processor actually do for it.

it only serves the purpose of amortizing the development costs of the a15 bionic op