Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Detroit City beat the Crew 2-1 yessss. I don’t care if it was a B squad, tbh. I’ve been going to matches since 2014 when they were an amateur club, the growth in those years has been nuts.
This is a super thin roster, so this may end up torching the USL season if they can’t stay healthy and/or have to keep running themselves ragged, but… not sure I care at the moment, this rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I was just on the opposite side of the drums! Club’s come a long way from the Cass Tech days, poo poo’s wild to see.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sticksy posted:

Seems obnoxiously tryhard for no obvious benefit imo
eh that's about the general response i assume this all is gonna get outside of dcfc circles and i kinda get why. but it's less about the specific words and more about usl and/or ussf on one hand plainly capitalizing on the supporter culture surrounding dcfc and then also feeling like they have to stick their noses in from afar for stupid reasons. ussf has an entire fascism problem in mls they could use their considerable money and power to affect rather than finding a place to grind a niche axe.

the ussf bit is also not just an ngs motivation. the club was ready to start a pro league outside of ussf's purview until insurance made that fall apart. nisa was under ussf's purview but talked a big game about doing what it could to circumvent the difficulties of transitioning from amateur to pro, wanted to build their own pyramid, etc. which then fell apart because the people backing it Knew Better and also didn't know anything. the usl move was more or less out of necessity, and the hope was/is to attempt to affect change from the inside.

ngs is still fully independent from the club, has no official supporter role or dues, and that's increasingly uncommon when it comes to professional american soccer. that independence has served it well and allowed them to be outspoken about meaningful causes that have prompted relatively significant feuds with leagues and offices in other cities/leagues.
it's easy to see it as a trivial thing (and to an extent i'm sure it is, i don't think this is going to kill the club or anything), but i think it's entirely valid to see it as meddling with a group that's aimed to build a brand that allows them to use an outsized voice effectively to ultimately help their local community, and actions that actively or tacitly threaten the continued ability to do that are seen as meaningful.

and before it comes up, plenty of supporters knew that these sorts of things would likely come with a jump to usl, and also there is a wide range of opinions from various folks.

e: personally, i'm guessing there'll ultimately be a continued emphasis on rules existing but the enforcement will be a little lax. my own line in the sand is if they start coming for the political messaging.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 7, 2022

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aggro posted:

I think the obvious answer is to give a free FCK USSF shirt to everyone in the supporters section. Basically force them to kick out the entire Northern Guard and see what happens.

know anyone who can print 2000 shirts in four days?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

anyway, aside from all that nonsense, the recently resurrected USL W League (technically different because it is not called W-League but whatever) kicked off last night and follows today with another two (very Michigan-centric) matches with DCFC vs Kalamazoo FC and AFC Ann Arbor vs Flint City Bucks. seems like it's an NPSL-esque structure in that there's a billion teams (44) broken down into a couple regions.
if anyone's interested, the DCFC stream should be similar in production to their USLC ESPN broadcasts at least. not sure what flint's streaming situation is.

USL Super League is still slated for next year, i'm hoping it still happens? sorta think they might wanna rethink the name for SEO purposes...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Would think that Detroit should be favorites but IIRC Louisville's made a couple of long Open Cup runs themselves.

Detroit's been really banged up with an incredibly shallow roster... they apparently have a whopping four on the bench tonight. they also weirdly got throttled by Tulsa on Saturday, and their typical strength (defense) looked downright porous. not their night then, hopefully a better showing tonight.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aggro posted:

Our best defender is out for a bit and the recent acquisitions aren’t eligible to play in Open Cup matches.

One of the four on the bench is our backup keeper too, so it’s basically three subs. We played the first 90 without subbing.

yeah, i'm hoping lewis isn't out for too long, i guess we'll see. we could use his legs for at least one of the next three upcoming...
disappointing result, i tend to believe if this was a healthy squad, they would've been able to get the win in regulation, but oh well. time to rest and get healthy for the rest of the season.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bagmonkey posted:

Someone in NGS Discord went through our PK results and... yeah, that's a huge weakness for us.

I bet we have interacted in there at some point! My Discord profile pic is the same as my avatar here.
Also yeah, vs Bucks in the Open Cup back in 2017(??) is the one time I can remember DCFC doing well. Genuinely might be the only time I can remember them coming out on top since I started going to matches in 2014.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ayyy congrats. i've gotta grab my snare one of these matches and head back up with the drums. capoing and drumming are a good time, nice way to get to know people tbh.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bagmonkey posted:

DCFC vs El Paso is on ESPN today! Please watch if you can, would love to see gangbusters viewer numbers!

I’m just to the left of the drums, atmosphere kicks rear end, weather kicks rear end, this is a hell of a match day

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i guess they've grown in presence a bit in the last couple years but it is still VERY WEIRD to me that we have multiple folks who regularly attend dcfc matches on this dead gay forum
feel like i should actually meet whoever else goes at some point?

also tonight's match has sold out, i don't really know if there's a particular reason why other than it's nice out and there was a brief string of away matches? but i will be there!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

genuinely thought that was a supporter troll rather than an actual team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i believe there was (is?) an indoor team in the area (waza flo) and it is run by an absolute insane man. they were playing matches at the dcfc fieldhouse last i'd heard but i have no idea if they still exist.