Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Chocobo GP is out.

https://twitter.com/TangoBun/status/1501898430284656643

Looks like a real winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mario Kart is probably my favorite series of all time.

I am so psyched for these new courses in Deluxe. I hadn't logged as much time with Mario Kart Wii, 7 and 8 until recently and decided to get 3 stars in every cup in Deluxe and fell in love with the game. It's now up there with Super and Double Dash as my favorites.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Diddy Kong Racing is a kart racer with a story mode, starring Diddy Kong, Banjo, Conker, and various other Rare OCs that only appear in that game.

It has your standard light/medium/heavy split of character classes, drifting, items, boosts, and battle arenas. Except items can upgrade. You get items from different colored balloons: red, blue, green, and rainbow. Get a red balloon and you get a missile (basically a green shell). Pick up a second red balloon (without touching a different color) and you get a homing missile (red shell). Pick up a third red balloon and your missiles are fully powered up and you get 10 missiles. (So think like a triple green shell, except you get 10 of them). There's an element of strategy to it where you decide to use an item right away, or try to upgrade it.

Oh and unlike Mario Kart 64, there are different vehicles! You also get hover crafts and planes.

It also has challenges beyond "get first place in every course." There's the infamous Silver Coin Challenge, where you need to collect 8 Silver Coins scattered throughout the course, and then come in first place. They start out pretty easy, but pretty soon you end up having to go pretty out of your way to get them, so it becomes a challenge to claw your way back up to first place.

Imo it's a better game than Mario Kart 64, but not any later Mario Karts, of course. It's still an N64 game.

The DS remake of it is terrible because they didn't get the licensing to any of the original Rare characters like Banjo and Conker. Instead of replacing them with characters of a similar weight class, they just threw Dixie and Tiny in, and they were both "average" class like Diddy was. It made the roster a lot more boring. Oh and also to get a boost from the starting line you had to spin a fan on your touchscreen like cranking up a windup toy. I'm not kidding. It was extremely dumb.

Interestingly, Sony tried their hand at a kart racer on the Playstation called Crash Team Racing (CTR), and it was heavily touted as a "Mario Kart killer". As a child, I wrote it off as a blatant ripoff of Mario Kart and never played it.

Turns out it's a ripoff of Diddy Kong Racing. If I had known that I would have played it instead of ignoring it until the remake came out a few years ago. :v: I love Diddy Kong Racing and CTR is also very good.

Awesome write-up. Thank you.

My PS1 owning best friend had CTR. We played it a bit and it was fun. It was definitely that generation's Kart game for me, as I never got MK 64. I got my N64 near the end of the cycle with Majora's Mask and Smash 64. Then the GC got got for Melee and I eventually got Double Dash, which is unquestionably a blast. I'm happy they have that Yoshi Circuit in 8 Deluxe because I love that track.

I rolled with Koopa and Parakoopa ideally, maybe taking Yoshi, who was my go-to the few times I played MK64. Great weapons and great team.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

DK Mountain in MK8 when???

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rugikiki posted:

DK Mountain in MK8 when???

Probably within the next year or so.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
alright, accomplished what i needed to accomplish, now i guess i have to star the rest of the cups

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
Friend code: SW-1400-9432-5731

Ready to smoke some grass and eat some rear end

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

It was a bold move to release a kart racing game where you have to race the same course two or three times in a row to advance in story mode, with only 9 tracks total in the game, at 50 dollars, and charge for in game currency, when Mario Kart 8 DX is on sale for 40 bucks and has 48 tracks with another 48 being added.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well maybe knowing what they're going up against they figured they didn't stand a chance so they might as well go for broke and try very hard for every last cent.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The game was announced before the reveal that Nintendo was putting 48 more tracks into MK 8 DX, so honestly my conspiracy theory is that the game was just a normal game while it was in development, then when they saw the Mario Kart announcement they just went "Well gently caress it" and added in all the microtransaction bullshit at the last minute.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been in a kart racing mood lately, so of course the first thing I do is load up Team Sonic Racing because my Playstation was plugged into the TV rather than the Switch, and I'm lazy.

What a functional but disappointing game. I like the stuff they do with the team concept (building up team points by sharing items, drafting together, etc, in order to build up a team boost bonus), but the whole thing is just stuck in a competent but completely bland package. It's doubly disappointing because it follows up the Sega All-Stars racing games, which were either better than their Mario counterparts (Wii) or at least a tremendously fun alternative (Wii U), imo. If they'd added the teams concept into a full budget All-Stars sequel, it could've been tremendous.

But I finally got around to plugging the Switch back in and I've been replaying Mario Kart 8 for a while now. It's easily my favorite kart racer, especially in how it adds verticality into tracks. I've been trying to get back into online mode in preparation for the new tracks and man, I've lost my edge. I'll keep trying, but I just keep getting stomped. My new realization is just how much the lightning bolt screws you over. Everyone complains about the blue shell, but lightning feels like it does 10x the fuckery for everyone across the board, and it's been pretty common to be getting hit by it at least a few times per track. That's the one thing I'd take out of the game if I could.

But oh well, it's still a super good game, and I can't wait for the first round of new tracks :f5:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 13, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've been meaning to play those Sonic games, sound fun.

Just got the Switch Mario Kart, looking forward to digging those tracks I hadn't seen on Wii-U, Hyrule Castle and whatnot. Also Double Dash was my fav, got the GC with that right before RE4 hit. Good times.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

We played far more of the kart mini game in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle than it deserved.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sorry about the double-post.

Keep forgetting to add this.

Friend code: SW-5181-2261-0743

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Did some housekeeping, linked the Diddy Kart Racing secondary OP in the main OP, updated the list of friend codes.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Coconut Mall was one of the better tracks in Mario Kart Wii. Glad it’s one of the first courses returning in the DLC.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i went home recently and introduced my mom and older sister to mk8, since we all used to play tons and tons of 64 when we were children (ma was incredible, knew all sorts of proto-speedrunner strats n everything). they loved it and were immediately readdicted and now my mother wants a switch. mario kart is good people

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

What plays in my head when I tune out of reality:

https://youtu.be/nqK3LbwTdls

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

DLC is out!

Paris level is kinda lame but every other track has been great.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Are the DLC courses not online? I've been playing for like a half hour and haven't seen them once

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are they only out for people with the Switch Inline Expansion Pass? I have the DLC pass purchased separately and it was showing the courses but wouldn’t let me play them.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Nintendo said they'll show up in online regardless of ownership. The release has been wonky, probably getting slammed.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Mario Kart DS has always been my favorite, I played that game all the time as a kid. I thought snaking was cheap, then I started doing it.

Silver Falcon posted:

Diddy Kong Racing is a kart racer with a story mode, starring Diddy Kong, Banjo, Conker, and various other Rare OCs that only appear in that game.

It has your standard light/medium/heavy split of character classes, drifting, items, boosts, and battle arenas. Except items can upgrade. You get items from different colored balloons: red, blue, green, and rainbow. Get a red balloon and you get a missile (basically a green shell). Pick up a second red balloon (without touching a different color) and you get a homing missile (red shell). Pick up a third red balloon and your missiles are fully powered up and you get 10 missiles. (So think like a triple green shell, except you get 10 of them). There's an element of strategy to it where you decide to use an item right away, or try to upgrade it.

Oh and unlike Mario Kart 64, there are different vehicles! You also get hover crafts and planes.

It also has challenges beyond "get first place in every course." There's the infamous Silver Coin Challenge, where you need to collect 8 Silver Coins scattered throughout the course, and then come in first place. They start out pretty easy, but pretty soon you end up having to go pretty out of your way to get them, so it becomes a challenge to claw your way back up to first place.

Imo it's a better game than Mario Kart 64, but not any later Mario Karts, of course. It's still an N64 game.

The DS remake of it is terrible because they didn't get the licensing to any of the original Rare characters like Banjo and Conker. Instead of replacing them with characters of a similar weight class, they just threw Dixie and Tiny in, and they were both "average" class like Diddy was. It made the roster a lot more boring. Oh and also to get a boost from the starting line you had to spin a fan on your touchscreen like cranking up a windup toy. I'm not kidding. It was extremely dumb.

Interestingly, Sony tried their hand at a kart racer on the Playstation called Crash Team Racing (CTR), and it was heavily touted as a "Mario Kart killer". As a child, I wrote it off as a blatant ripoff of Mario Kart and never played it.

Turns out it's a ripoff of Diddy Kong Racing. If I had known that I would have played it instead of ignoring it until the remake came out a few years ago. :v: I love Diddy Kong Racing and CTR is also very good.

Diddy Kong Racing was easily one of my favorite games for the Nintendo 64. It really went super hard.

The overworld really took the single player from just another kart racer to a whole adventure. IIRC Tiptup (the turtle) ended up in Banjo-Kazooie, too.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I loved the Mario Kart threads back when 8/8D were initially released. I'd love to get some more goon rooms going sometime. My FC is SW-0237-3075-2140

Also, I did this eight years ago and I'll take every opportunity I can to repost it. Lemming still hasn't forgiven me, and rightly so

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Oh man I remember those days, goon rooms back in the wii u days were a blast.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Maple Leaf posted:

I loved the Mario Kart threads back when 8/8D were initially released. I'd love to get some more goon rooms going sometime. My FC is SW-0237-3075-2140

Also, I did this eight years ago and I'll take every opportunity I can to repost it. Lemming still hasn't forgiven me, and rightly so

The replay highlights were an absolute game changer for MK8. I think anybody who has ever played this with a group of friends has 6 phenomenal clips of friends getting absolutely hosed at the finish line.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Maple Leaf posted:

That’s loving amazing, holy poo poo. :captainpop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:laffo:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So do the new maps look up to the graphical standard of the rest of the game or are they just the MK Tour versions like people were worrying?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

So do the new maps look up to the graphical standard of the rest of the game or are they just the MK Tour versions like people were worrying?

They don't have anti-gravity but they have really polished everything and the music is great. Plus the tour tracks change the route every lap.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice!!! Can’t wait to play on these :)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw boo, when I saw that the dlc had downloaded itself, I briefly hoped that maybe the first round was a free teaser. Oh well, I guess you can't hope for too much free content.

But it seems good so far. The first new cup feels like a pretty simple start but it seems like they're basically presenting these as a second whole round of courses, just in the same game engine, so I guess it makes sense.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I had a moment like this in SNES Mario Kart last week, but not nearly as funny as yours.

I was racing 150cc Flower Cup as Koopa Troopa, Luigi was apparently my “rival” destined to be the biggest pain in the rear end for the whole cup.
First race, last lap, Luigi blows past me on the home stretch to the finish line.

What he doesn’t know is I’ve got a red shell in my back pocket.

I dunked on him just before the finish line and took 1st place, he ended up taking 5th and it totally jacked up the point spread for the AI players for the rest of the cup. By the last race, as long as I got 4th or better I couldn’t lose lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Escobarbarian posted:

No. They don't look close to the OG tracks. It's a stark contrast.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

They look fine

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The new tracks look slightly less good overall, but just to a degree that only pedants will give a poo poo. What's important is that, so far, the new tracks are extremely good.

I'm especially impressed with the ones from Tour, they have a neat gimmick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is the Ninja one a brand new track?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I still hop on SMK from time to time, so complaining the textures aren't up to snuff misses me. The tracks are fun and that's what I care about in Mario kart. Also they're really not noticeable in either way unless you're determined to think about it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah they're fine, they're obviously not as polished visually as the original MK8 tracks, but they work fine and it's also a $25 add-on rather than a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah they're fine, they're obviously not as polished visually as the original MK8 tracks, but they work fine and it's also a $25 add-on rather than a new game.

Yeah, more tracks is good tracks. I was just answering if they are the same quality and they obviously aren't. The ninja one is pretty wild. And they hosed up coconut mall.