Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

FINALLY beat Mirror Mode 3 Starring the whole thing.

Gotta do 200cc now and WOAH. It's a trip. It's good stuff though. I can finally play Koopa again. I'm going to wrap these up and get the DLC. I'm happy this has gotten into Mario Kart again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, more tracks is good tracks. I was just answering if they are the same quality and they obviously aren't. The ninja one is pretty wild. And they hosed up coconut mall.

What's wrong with coconut mall? The cars not moving? Seems totally fine by me :shrug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ninja Hideaway is the best of the new DLC tracks in this wave, it felt like a wild journey of exploration the first time I played it where it got progressively crazier over each lap.

Like my first lap was like “okay let’s feel this out… where am I going? Was that a shortcut?”
The second lap was like “let’s experiment a little and see where some of these paths go”
The third lap was like “okay I’ve got this, let’s see what this course can do”

It was a lot of fun.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Nintengoons discord has MK8 nights a couple times a month. We've got one tomorrow to commemorate the new DLC!

https://discord.gg/Z6rqJUJXBj

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

All the courses are good. The art style isn't 1 to 1 with the original tracks and it's pretty obvious that they're just ports of the mobile courses, but I don't think the difference is enough to seriously clash with the rest of the game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

susan b buffering posted:

The Nintengoons discord has MK8 nights a couple times a month. We've got one tomorrow to commemorate the new DLC!

https://discord.gg/Z6rqJUJXBj
I just joined your Discord!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

I just joined your Discord!

Nice! Should say it isn't mine, I'm just one of the members.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

So I guess the new courses just aren't online yet?

I think it's time to pick a new character, like half the people online are Waliugi and I'm tired of being one of them

chaleski fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 20, 2022

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's wrong with coconut mall? The cars not moving? Seems totally fine by me :shrug:

The cars not moving removes all tension from that later stretch and it's a baffling omission

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

chaleski posted:

So I guess the new courses just aren't online yet?

I think it's time to pick a new character, like half the people online are Waliugi and I'm tired of being one of them

They're not. It'll be a week.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Xenomrph posted:

Ninja Hideaway is the best of the new DLC tracks in this wave, it felt like a wild journey of exploration the first time I played it where it got progressively crazier over each lap.

Like my first lap was like “okay let’s feel this out… where am I going? Was that a shortcut?”
The second lap was like “let’s experiment a little and see where some of these paths go”
The third lap was like “okay I’ve got this, let’s see what this course can do”

It was a lot of fun.

I really like it because it's stolen straight out of a segment from Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dpulex posted:

The cars not moving removes all tension from that later stretch and it's a baffling omission

Not the tension!

:rolleyes:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It's a valid argument, but snark notwithstanding, maybe they made the cars stand still was because of 200cc? I never played the Wii, but I imagine that it was probably challenging (even tense) at 150 and maybe in playtesting they found that it was too difficult in 200.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pungry posted:

I really like it because it's stolen straight out of a segment from Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Oh that’s awesome, do you have a YouTube clip of it for comparison? I’m curious to see it.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Xenomrph posted:

Oh that’s awesome, do you have a YouTube clip of it for comparison? I’m curious to see it.

Upon rewatch, it's not as close to the segment as I'd remembered, but the theme is definitely shared super strongly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBCGUp2pM4

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I know Toad Circuit is not an interesting course but I love it's inclusion because sometimes it's fun to just drift and get purple mini turbos.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I know Toad Circuit is not an interesting course but I love it's inclusion because sometimes it's fun to just drift and get purple mini turbos.

:yeah:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I saw a theory that with the Wario imagery around the track (nose + garlic) Ninja Hideaway was originally intended to be a Kat and Ana themed stage but got nixed by Nintendo because they just don't do crossovers like that for some weird reason. Kind of a bummer, could have made that track even cooler.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MassRafTer posted:

I definitely don't instantly vote for Baby Park ever single time it shows up in rotation, why would you even ask that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I definitely don't instantly vote for Baby Park ever single time it shows up in rotation, why would you even ask that

Baby Park is an interesting course even if there aren't enough laps in MK8.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Manoueverable posted:

I saw a theory that with the Wario imagery around the track (nose + garlic) Ninja Hideaway was originally intended to be a Kat and Ana themed stage but got nixed by Nintendo because they just don't do crossovers like that for some weird reason. Kind of a bummer, could have made that track even cooler.

Its always been strange that none of the Wario Ware characters show up in any of the Mario spin-offs.

Mona drives a moped! She'd be perfect for Mario Kart.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Baby Park is an interesting course even if there aren't enough laps in MK8.

Double Dash is the only main game I've barely touched so I don't actually remember anything about the original. I love the simple chaos in the MK8 version and wish it was longer though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of the new courses are good and strong and also my friends

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The cloud one in the second cup is nothing special but the rest of the tracks are great. I only play handheld and am not overly enamored of the antigrav gimmick so the new tracks are just fine to me.

Ninja hideaway is insane though.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Captain Hygiene posted:

Double Dash is the only main game I've barely touched so I don't actually remember anything about the original. I love the simple chaos in the MK8 version and wish it was longer though.
my favorite part of double dash baby park were the shells (esp. bowser shell) being able to bounce across the track

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Rainbow Road 64 is already ruined in MK8 anyway so it happening to other courses doesn't bother me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I went through a weird period in my life where I thought I didn't like Mario Kart anymore, or something? It was right around when I went to college, so Gamecube era. I never picked up Double Dash and I completely ignored the GBA Mario Kart.

I think it might have been that I'd moved away from home and thus couldn't play Mario Kart with my little brother anymore. :( Cuz I picked Mario Kart back up again when I started dating a guy (now my husband) who invited me to his house to play Double Dash. And holy poo poo Double Dash was fun as poo poo! We would tag team against his little brother and the neighborhood kids. I'd ride caboose and chuck items at everyone and laugh.

Then Mario Kart DS came out and I could play with my little brother again. :3: Anyway that's my Mario Kart story.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I went through a weird period in my life where I thought I didn't like Mario Kart anymore, or something? It was right around when I went to college, so Gamecube era. I never picked up Double Dash and I completely ignored the GBA Mario Kart.

I think it might have been that I'd moved away from home and thus couldn't play Mario Kart with my little brother anymore. :( Cuz I picked Mario Kart back up again when I started dating a guy (now my husband) who invited me to his house to play Double Dash. And holy poo poo Double Dash was fun as poo poo! We would tag team against his little brother and the neighborhood kids. I'd ride caboose and chuck items at everyone and laugh.

Then Mario Kart DS came out and I could play with my little brother again. :3: Anyway that's my Mario Kart story.

:buddy:

I think I mostly skipped Double Dash due to it coming out when I didn't have the console (so I only happened to play it maybe one time thanks to a friend having it), then when I got the console I was on my own and it seemed like it'd be more fun with other players. I missed out.

I forgot about GBA Mario Kart, I also never played that one thanks to the system being one of the very few Nintendos I never eventually got my hands on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've said it a bunch, but godDAMN does this track need to be included in the DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mySXZHGzB0

I think it was brought back once but if it was in 7, I never played it. Anyway, y'all who didn't play DD, check that out. It's loving bonkers.

Edit: in rewatching that, I think that DD is my favourite controlling MK game. It just looked and felt so loving solid, you know? I love the way the blue wheels looked, how they're angled outward a bit on most karts, and I REALLY love how you can do that mini boost when you get put back on the track, if you hit accelerate the very moment your wheels hit the ground.

MK8D is great and all, but goddamn did Nintendo nail an amazing racing feel with DD.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 21, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've said it a bunch, but godDAMN does this track need to be included in the DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mySXZHGzB0

I think it was brought back once but if it was in 7, I never played it. Anyway, y'all who didn't play DD, check that out. It's loving bonkers.

I sure feel like I've played it but the wiki says it was only in that game, maybe there's another similar looking one I'm thinking of. Either way, I'm surprised it wasn't in the original retro tracks for 8, it seems like it'd fit really well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If you want wild Double Dash tracks, DK Mountain is bonkers and I really hope it gets a remake.

https://youtu.be/zdlIU9etxYc

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

One of my favorite things about Double Dash is that there's just enough jank, intentional or otherwise, to deliver some truly weird and memorable experiences. For instance, basically all of the level geometry has collision, even if it's not a part of the course that the player is ever meant to interact with normally. This means that on Wario Colosseum, which has a lot of extra bits all over the place, it's not entirely uncommon for blue shells to just get stuck somewhere and never reach their target.

That rollercoaster that passes overhead on Baby Park? You guessed it, it has collision too, and the bowser shell and chain chomp are tall enough that they'll run into it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Rainbow Road 64 is already ruined in MK8 anyway so it happening to other courses doesn't bother me.

It's so much better in MK8 than on N64 that it's almost a shame they cut it down to 1 lap since it's not boring anymore.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

If you want wild Double Dash tracks, DK Mountain is bonkers and I really hope it gets a remake.

Greatest track of all time, imo.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Xenomrph posted:

yep. dk always gets good courses... nintendo have their priorities straight

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Greatest track of all time, imo.

:hmmyes:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DK Mountain IS really great, but I still prefer Wario's craziness.

Also, Double Dash allowed you to play through all of its tracks in random order in the All Cup Tour. Whole thing takes close to an hour, I think.

Other games DO do this, you play VS with random course selection on there, and set the maximum number of tracks to race on, but the All Cup Tour went one step further; your first track was always Luigi Circuit, and the final track was always Rainbow Road.

That was my favourite way to play Double Dash.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 22, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DK Mountain IS really great, but I still prefer Wario's craziness.

Also, Double Dash allowed you to play through all of its tracks in random order in the All Cup Tour. Whole thing takes close to an hour, I think.

Other games DO do this, you play VS with random course selection on there, and set the maximum number of tracks to race on, but the All Cup Tour went one step further; your first track was always Luigi Circuit, and the final track was always Rainbow Road.

That was my favourite way to play Double Dash.

All Cup was a lot of fun with a friend. They've gotta add this as a prank when they finish releasing the DLC tracks.

DK Mountain is one of my favorite tracks. The little shortcut right before the final bridge is one of my favorites, very satisfying to get cleanly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's so crazy to me that, eventually, literally half of the 96 (!!!) tracks available to us will be part of this DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally got home and played on all the new tracks. Like them a lot! And the ones from Tour are definitely improved graphically, which is nice. Not a major amount, but more than enough for me! It’s odd that Ninja Hideaway is listed as an original track when it’s also from Tour.

Also drat my muscle memory for this game has completely gone to poo poo after years of Tour. The drifts on the setup that always served me well before somehow manage to feel both more and less sensitive at the same time. Gonna need to get some practice in before I join some goon games.