Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Love the thread! Looking forward to discussing the new tracks as they come out.

My friend code is:

SW-0647-4375-9598 (username is Rupert)

Nan, I love that I can easily copy and paste my code thanks to the Switch app update. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I sincerely hope that Wario's Coliseum from DD is going to be re-released for MK8D. That's hands down my favourite track ever. It's just insane.

I really appreciate the varied nature of the course selection in MK8D, btw. Baby Park is simple but has a ton of laps, there are 3? 4? linear tracks that go from point A to B without looping, and then you have the non-Mario based ones, like Link's, and the Excitebike course. Add on the Animal Crossing course that changes season each time you play, and you get a ton of variety.

I wonder how long it's take to go through a 48-course marathon in VS. :thunk:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Couple things:

- we could use this thread to pore over, study, and discuss every single Mario Kart track in existence. That actually sounds pretty great to me. It'd be kind of like Temin Dump's massive 20+ years of Doom thread.

- MK64 has this weird feeling to it, where it feels like the centre of your turning radius/whatever is a little in front of your character. I feel like this isn't immediately obvious, but you learn to deal with it innately. Like if a right turn is coming up, and there's something slightly to your left, you could go into a drift (aiming right), which actually swings out out to the left a bit, actually moving you enough to get that item. Anyone else notice this? I could be wrong but I always feel this is what people mean when they talk about MK64's handling. In fact, putting your camera back a bit seems to affect your turning. Weird.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rugikiki posted:

DK Mountain in MK8 when???

Probably within the next year or so.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is the Ninja one a brand new track?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, more tracks is good tracks. I was just answering if they are the same quality and they obviously aren't. The ninja one is pretty wild. And they hosed up coconut mall.

What's wrong with coconut mall? The cars not moving? Seems totally fine by me :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dpulex posted:

The cars not moving removes all tension from that later stretch and it's a baffling omission

Not the tension!

:rolleyes:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've said it a bunch, but godDAMN does this track need to be included in the DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mySXZHGzB0

I think it was brought back once but if it was in 7, I never played it. Anyway, y'all who didn't play DD, check that out. It's loving bonkers.

Edit: in rewatching that, I think that DD is my favourite controlling MK game. It just looked and felt so loving solid, you know? I love the way the blue wheels looked, how they're angled outward a bit on most karts, and I REALLY love how you can do that mini boost when you get put back on the track, if you hit accelerate the very moment your wheels hit the ground.

MK8D is great and all, but goddamn did Nintendo nail an amazing racing feel with DD.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 21, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DK Mountain IS really great, but I still prefer Wario's craziness.

Also, Double Dash allowed you to play through all of its tracks in random order in the All Cup Tour. Whole thing takes close to an hour, I think.

Other games DO do this, you play VS with random course selection on there, and set the maximum number of tracks to race on, but the All Cup Tour went one step further; your first track was always Luigi Circuit, and the final track was always Rainbow Road.

That was my favourite way to play Double Dash.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 22, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's so crazy to me that, eventually, literally half of the 96 (!!!) tracks available to us will be part of this DLC.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone have a link to that MK8 Kart builder comparison? Specifically, the one where you put in your build, and it will almost always show you a similar build that's better?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dancing Peasant posted:

Wave 3 is fun.

I checked out a few of the tracks and that holiday themed one looks gorgeous.

Has anyone played with all blue shells, all the time yet?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love it if there was a battle mode map offered with each of these updates. I want more battle arenas!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Still no Delfino Square Wario Coliseum. Nintendo have shamed themselves extremely hard with this one. How will they ever recover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I like that they added in a new ending for the DLC. That was unexpected.

What's the new ending? I haven't played through it yet.