Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I have very strong feelings about Mario Kart.

Everyone should play a week or two of Super Mario Kart time trials, it builds character. I just finished a month-long project completely refreshing my timesheet on the SMK players page, including a couple top 50 times that were rough to crack from a decade ago.

Speaking of the players page, it's a great spot for MK time trials (all games) if you're interested (https://www.mariokart64.com/). In early '06 it led me to an AIM chat room 'mkelite' that used to be loaded every night with absolute killers in Mario Kart DS & was a ton of fun to randomly match up with dudes, even if it tanked my overall wifi record. I managed to sneak a win 3-1 over Thomas Bolton, the #1 in the world at the time, thanks to some choice course selections & item usage.

I'd love to get another DS & try to update some of my times there (my fave mk game) but I don't think I could stand up to the rigors of MKDS at this point. The miniturbos are intense over a 1m-2m course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of mini turbos, for the life of me I cannot do mini turbos in MK DS, I get a couple sparks and then nothing. I’m trying to hit left and right repeatedly and it doesn’t do anything.

The sparks are the something? You need to get to orange/red sparks, which should be two (four?) alternating presses. e.g. Jump & drift left and while you're drifting, you go R L R L and you'll see blue sparks, then orange/red. You can do it pretty fast, although I think you need to wait a heartbeat before starting the alternating presses. Need to be officially sliding before it registers.

Once you have that you can start chaining them together on turns, course AND kart dependent, some karts have longer boosts from miniturbos so you don't need to do so many so quick but the usual trade-off there is raw speed. So like the old wifi argument used to be the Dry Bomber (great off-road speed, lower road speed, longer turbo boost, easier to chain them together and stay at 100% speed) vs the Egg 1 (good off-road speed, slightly higher road speed, shorter turbo boost, harder to stay at 100% but it is a higher base). Ok too much info

Egg1 / Poltergust are good general karts for everything in the game, and you really can just smash mini-turbos EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME which is why the game can be technically annoying/demanding. Don't even get me started on prolonged rocket boosting, which is something I dabbled with but never managed to 100% but leads to some incredible, incredible course times.

edit - I mean I hate even linking the top top top level play but jesus christ PRB makes some tracks broken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFFZU9aHxj8 - that little gauge in the bottom right of the video, slowly depleting but never quite finishing? That's the boost from his initial start rocket boost never wearing off. As long as he keeps releasing a miniturbo before it depletes he'll keep perfect boost speed & be able to fly over any terrain without slowing down. It absolutely changes how some tracks are played. The ultimate swag is doing it in the ROB-BLS, which has the highest base speed & one of the lowest mini-turbo lengths, meaning you have to be incredibly quick & precise with your miniturbos to keep it up the whole time.

Kids these days...

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 10, 2022

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I only played one dude in my high school and he talked an incredible, incredible bit of shittalk and the only time we played he showed up in the Cucumber and I loving smoked him into a ragequit after two tracks. It used to be the same with wifi tho, iirc you wouldn't get win credits if someone disconnected on you (whereas they'd get the loss no matter what, disconnect OR stick around & lose) so if you were playing someone and got waaaay out in front they'd just bail and you'd have wasted a couple minutes of searching & racing for no wins. Led to a lot of games where you'd sorta dangle the finish line like a carrot on a stick trying to entice people to stick around and let you win. I used to have a screenshot on an old family PC of a 500-30~ online record, before I discovered other good players.

I just found out the new Yoshi Falls record is a 45.875 now, which is bonkers to me. I was, for some reason, wholly focused on that track while doing TTs to the effect of being like top 100-150 in every other course & top 10 in YF 3lap/fast lap for a couple months. My time then? Like 49.1xx, and I struggled for a month or two to nip ANY time off of that (WR at the time was just under 49s flat). Watching the new WR is wild. Whole adjustments & miniturbos thrown in places I never would've been able to match. I did later manage to drop down to 48.6x-7x but woof, almost three seconds short.

edit - MKDS was probably the one game I was world class at in my entire life, so I do think of it fondly. But why oh why did it have to be Mario Kart lol

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 10, 2022

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
On a side note ask me about how much I loving hate items in Mario Kart and wish there was an online mode that prohibited those (standard, non-tourney or whatever)

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

chaleski posted:

Did anyone else frequently run into hackers in MKDS? I'd often see people equipped with the same item and use it constantly throughout the whole race. My favorite was someone named I'M HACK who repeatedly hit us with the lightning bolt as we were waiting at the starting line

Other than that the game owned hard

Once action replay got in too many hands it was just over, yeah. Either you had a couple friends to play with via friends search (which wasn't actually racing with specific friends, it was racing with whoever you had on your friends list searching for a race at the same time as you) or you got hosed

edit - by the same token it also allowed for better/actual capture footage or what not (I never quite understood the tech, nor did I have an AR) so it was six of one half dozen of the other etc etc. Allowed for much better record sharing & even for TAS time trialing, which led to a ton of new tech/adjustments in the late 00's. So AR wasn't always bad, just when kiddies used it for infinite shrooms/lightnings/things like that. Sometimes you'd run into someone playing disabled tracks online though, which was always nice.

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 10, 2022

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Booster tracks feel awesome. Paris is super cool. Ninja is the only one I'm having a little bit of funk with, need to practice it a bit to find the best driving lines. It's weird too, like every other track in Mario Kart is super drive-able and simple to pick up but with Ninja it feels like they turned that on its head. So much time bashing into walls & falling off the track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I would love that & a fastest lap listing too. So many times I've paced out in lap 1 and been head & shoulders clear in first place just to get absolutely mollywhopped by items back into "the poo poo", as my wife and I affectionately call it. That area where you're stuck between 3rd-8th place and can't escape the quagmire because it's all bullshit all the time.