Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been in a kart racing mood lately, so of course the first thing I do is load up Team Sonic Racing because my Playstation was plugged into the TV rather than the Switch, and I'm lazy.

What a functional but disappointing game. I like the stuff they do with the team concept (building up team points by sharing items, drafting together, etc, in order to build up a team boost bonus), but the whole thing is just stuck in a competent but completely bland package. It's doubly disappointing because it follows up the Sega All-Stars racing games, which were either better than their Mario counterparts (Wii) or at least a tremendously fun alternative (Wii U), imo. If they'd added the teams concept into a full budget All-Stars sequel, it could've been tremendous.

But I finally got around to plugging the Switch back in and I've been replaying Mario Kart 8 for a while now. It's easily my favorite kart racer, especially in how it adds verticality into tracks. I've been trying to get back into online mode in preparation for the new tracks and man, I've lost my edge. I'll keep trying, but I just keep getting stomped. My new realization is just how much the lightning bolt screws you over. Everyone complains about the blue shell, but lightning feels like it does 10x the fuckery for everyone across the board, and it's been pretty common to be getting hit by it at least a few times per track. That's the one thing I'd take out of the game if I could.

But oh well, it's still a super good game, and I can't wait for the first round of new tracks :f5:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:laffo:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw boo, when I saw that the dlc had downloaded itself, I briefly hoped that maybe the first round was a free teaser. Oh well, I guess you can't hope for too much free content.

But it seems good so far. The first new cup feels like a pretty simple start but it seems like they're basically presenting these as a second whole round of courses, just in the same game engine, so I guess it makes sense.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah they're fine, they're obviously not as polished visually as the original MK8 tracks, but they work fine and it's also a $25 add-on rather than a new game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I know Toad Circuit is not an interesting course but I love it's inclusion because sometimes it's fun to just drift and get purple mini turbos.

I definitely don't instantly vote for Baby Park ever single time it shows up in rotation, why would you even ask that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Baby Park is an interesting course even if there aren't enough laps in MK8.

Double Dash is the only main game I've barely touched so I don't actually remember anything about the original. I love the simple chaos in the MK8 version and wish it was longer though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I went through a weird period in my life where I thought I didn't like Mario Kart anymore, or something? It was right around when I went to college, so Gamecube era. I never picked up Double Dash and I completely ignored the GBA Mario Kart.

I think it might have been that I'd moved away from home and thus couldn't play Mario Kart with my little brother anymore. :( Cuz I picked Mario Kart back up again when I started dating a guy (now my husband) who invited me to his house to play Double Dash. And holy poo poo Double Dash was fun as poo poo! We would tag team against his little brother and the neighborhood kids. I'd ride caboose and chuck items at everyone and laugh.

Then Mario Kart DS came out and I could play with my little brother again. :3: Anyway that's my Mario Kart story.

:buddy:

I think I mostly skipped Double Dash due to it coming out when I didn't have the console (so I only happened to play it maybe one time thanks to a friend having it), then when I got the console I was on my own and it seemed like it'd be more fun with other players. I missed out.

I forgot about GBA Mario Kart, I also never played that one thanks to the system being one of the very few Nintendos I never eventually got my hands on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've said it a bunch, but godDAMN does this track need to be included in the DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mySXZHGzB0

I think it was brought back once but if it was in 7, I never played it. Anyway, y'all who didn't play DD, check that out. It's loving bonkers.

I sure feel like I've played it but the wiki says it was only in that game, maybe there's another similar looking one I'm thinking of. Either way, I'm surprised it wasn't in the original retro tracks for 8, it seems like it'd fit really well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I’m garbage at 200cc, it feels like wayyy too much engine power for me.

Same, I've been playing around with that and I just fly all over the place. Back in my main playthrough, I trophied all the cups through 150cc but never made it through 200.

What is multiplayer anyway, 150? It always feels just a bit crazier than single player 150 but definitely not like 200, maybe it's just the difference from adding in real drivers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

with a very occasional (5%?) 200 thrown in

Oh lol, maybe that explains why I sometimes feel like I'm just loving up even more than normal. NINTENDO :arghfist:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Forgot how good the Coconut Mall music is, both this one and the original are great. I keep voting for the track every time because I like the music so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGixf0luDs

Or I could pull this up and play other tracks I guess

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Had a moment today where I was trying to be a jerk and wound up being the hero :arghfist::dumb:

https://i.imgur.com/2yETd3U.mp4

(Although, karma did favor me enough to come in 1st for once :buddy:)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One thing I really don't like about MK8 is how the pause menu setup makes it easy to enable smart steering/tilt steering/auto accelerate by accident. I just had two online races in a row where it hosed me over, like suddenly realizing smart steering was on when it yanked me away from a shortcut, then comically flailing to turn it off but accidentally turning tilt steering on instead and veering off course enough that I just ended up dropping out. I hate it! :arghfist:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been wondering for a while now if MK8 shifts the probabilities for specific courses to get something other than the standard 150cc speed in online mode. I feel like I've spent way more time careening around like crazy in 200cc in Ribbon Road & Baby Park in particular compared to other courses, and conversely, it feels like I've also spent more than a fair share of time puttering around Toad's Turnpike at an absolute crawl. I could be imagining all that, but it sure feels like it's the case :iiam:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Is Team Sonic Racing worth getting for under $20?

I think that sounds about right. It's a budget game with a story I can't even begin to care about, but the actual racing is competent enough that I've played through a couple times. It's a mix of regular races and challenge courses, so there's some decent variety.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw poo poo, I almost missed this. I coulda been racing all afternoon, but got actual work done instead like a chump :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I gave them a run through in single player, and they seem good. I'll have to play some more to really rank them, other than Luigi's Pinball being good.

The big thing is that I forgot again that it would just be two sets of races, and got disappointed when I got through them so quickly. I know the tradeoff is having more frequent updates, but I think I'd pick putting them out in sets of four just to feel a bit meatier. So, it'll be nice to get back into multiplayer with some more new ones added in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have a link to that MK8 Kart builder comparison? Specifically, the one where you put in your build, and it will almost always show you a similar build that's better?

This thing?
It told me to stop using Mr Scooty, I would not believe its lies

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I hadn't noticed at first that Sky-High Sundae was an original track. That makes sense in retrospect, it has the most vertical depth and stacked track segments. Pretty neat, I thought they'd all be remade ones.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally got a chance to run through the new tracks and yep, seems like a solid batch. Peach Gardens is the one that I remember giving me a weird amount of trouble over- or under-steering for turns, it has a lot of corners that catch me out. I thought it was pretty cute that you can ride through the tram on the Berlin track, although I'm not sure it actually benefits you. I liked Merry Mountain's vibes, but it was a bit simpler than I expected - it seems like the new tracks we've gotten in the previous updates did more fun stuff with vertically split paths so I was expecting more of that. Overall I also think the 3DS Rainbow Road was the standout here, just neat design overall.

My main complaint is that I still think they should've trickled out the courses in half the number of updates. I'm in the middle of other stuff right now, and it's harder to want to take the time off to get back into multiplayer when there's such a comparatively small number of new tracks mixed into a big rotation each time around. Oh well.

Dancing Peasant posted:

Lightning only, 50cc, Baby Park

You monster :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's why lightning is the most BS item despite the blue shell getting the pop culture notoriety, an uncounterable attack that hurts everyone else in the game in multiple ways is so much more annoying than one targeting the leader that can be negated with a bit of luck.

Haven't gotten around to the latest tracks yet, they dropped at a time when I already had multiple stuff lined up to play. Think I'll give em a try once the shine has worn off rerunning the Resident Evil 4 remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, I haven't played this game in a bit. The upside is that I have both of the last two content waves to check out, that's a nice surprise heading into the weekend!