Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

One of my favorite things about Double Dash is that there's just enough jank, intentional or otherwise, to deliver some truly weird and memorable experiences. For instance, basically all of the level geometry has collision, even if it's not a part of the course that the player is ever meant to interact with normally. This means that on Wario Colosseum, which has a lot of extra bits all over the place, it's not entirely uncommon for blue shells to just get stuck somewhere and never reach their target.

That rollercoaster that passes overhead on Baby Park? You guessed it, it has collision too, and the bowser shell and chain chomp are tall enough that they'll run into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Lightning is maybe the most powerful it's ever been in 8, for one particular reason. Something I've noticed is that the game is incredibly generous with its i-frames; there's pretty much just the one "damaged" state that's shared across all attack items and course hazards, and it leaves you invincible far longer than you might expect afterwards... except for lightning. Not only does lightning not grant any i-frames, not that I've noticed anyway, it also doesn't give a poo poo about i-frames you already have. You're getting hit by it, no matter what. I also don't think falling off clears the shrinking effect like it does in some of the games? Don't quote me on that part though.

Fake edit: Oh, it's also the only attack in this entry (other than boo) that makes you lose your items.