Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It's a valid argument, but snark notwithstanding, maybe they made the cars stand still was because of 200cc? I never played the Wii, but I imagine that it was probably challenging (even tense) at 150 and maybe in playtesting they found that it was too difficult in 200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Manoueverable posted:

200cc is probably the closest we'll ever get to a new F-Zero so I cling to it tightly and celebrate it as best I can. Also it's extremely fun, I like that it requires a different skill set from racing at 150, except those first 2 turns on Rainbow Road are absolute hell if you don't have a perfect line.

It's not only braking but boosting right before you're gonna fall off the course to change direction

pwn
May 27, 2004

In my.... way, way too many hours of online play these past couple years, it seems that it depends on the scores of the players, if there are more people with 5-digit scores, 200 is more likely to pop up. Conversely more low-4-digit players means 100 can pop up (I've never seen 50 come up, maybe if everyone is sub-1,000 points??) I don't remember the last time I saw 100 come up, which is probably because I myself am in the mid-40k range now and it precludes 100.

If this is how it works, it's flawed (shock!), since people routinely will be more experienced than their point totals would indicate. At least cheaters seem to be mostly eradicated, though some still pop up.

I should note I never go to Worldwide, only Regional. Once in a while I accidentally select Worldwide and quickly realize the grave error I've made.

Edit: There seems to be a very specific point range that makes Mirror pop up repeatedly, though I've never been able to figure it out.

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 11, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

Maybe someone here is more experienced with the points system in online and can crack this nut.

It's a progressive system. The more points you have, the more you lose, yes? I'm simplifying it but based on your points and the points of those in the race is how the game determines how many points are awarded or deducted after a race. For example if you and everyone else has the same amount of points, you'll all get something like this after a race (keeping it to six players for simplicity):

1st: +15 pts
2nd: +9 pts
3rd: +4 pts
4th: +0 pts
5th: -3 pts
6th: -6 pts

But if the point totals are uneven it gets interesting. If five people are relatively low, say, 1,000-5,000 point totals, and one person has, say, 40,000, and mr. 40k comes in 2nd, he'll get 0 points, and 3rd or worse, he'll lose progressively huge sums. Feels unfair but it's actually extremely fair, ok.

But sometimes there will be some 100k fucker, maxed out at 99,999 points, and while they obviously get 0 points for 1st, they don't lose points in 2nd or even 3rd place. If they're last or real late they lose points, but why the hell aren't they losing like 20 points when coming in 2nd with a bunch of sub-30k players? My first instinct is to accuse them of cheating but it seems like the progressive "taxation" of points is unsustainable, does it turn around after a certain point or something?

For the record I'm currently at 44,700+ and I've been rubberbanding in the 44k range for a couple months, seemingly unable to escape. How the hell do people get to 99k

Edit: This is regarding MK8, not CTR or Burger King Racer

pwn fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 28, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

New wave coming December 7th. No N64, GC, or SNES courses, 3 from Tour. Admittedly Boo Lake is basically Boo Boardwalk (much like Moo Moo Meadows was Moo Moo Farm.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iaCRaF8ET8

It's too bad Nintendo won't pay to record proper music for the new tracks. After being spoiled by the orchestral MK8 recordings, it's hard to go back to synth...

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

Lightning is maybe the most powerful it's ever been in 8, for one particular reason. Something I've noticed is that the game is incredibly generous with its i-frames; there's pretty much just the one "damaged" state that's shared across all attack items and course hazards, and it leaves you invincible far longer than you might expect afterwards... except for lightning. Not only does lightning not grant any i-frames, not that I've noticed anyway, it also doesn't give a poo poo about i-frames you already have. You're getting hit by it, no matter what. I also don't think falling off clears the shrinking effect like it does in some of the games? Don't quote me on that part though.

Fake edit: Oh, it's also the only attack in this entry (other than boo) that makes you lose your items.

You only get small and don't lose more coins in your i frame (thanks for the term!) window when hit by lightning, nor does it stop or slow you down (besides that you go a bit slower while tiny). You do lose your items of course. And if you take shock hit, you are invincible for a few moments.

pwn
May 27, 2004

At the end

Yes it's a smartass reply but literally it's after the last track in the last cup.

Edit: i am the stupid head, WHAT'S the new ending. A vertical pan-down of a bunch of clips in the framing of postcards as the Booster dev team credits roll, with location stickers a la Super Mario Odyssey, as a medley of the new tracks plays. Ends with a very Nintendo-esque "Thanks for Playing!" "photograph" of all the racers. Suitable for Booster Pass' lower-budget reality, it was honestly touching.

I realised that the Booster Pass has been going on the full length of the Ukraine war. Useless thought but it made me glad that I've had a better 20 months, playing Mariokart. :/

They also added a jukebox (main menu, at the bottom with all those little icons you never use like MKTV, far left). Now I can listen to Mariokart 8 music whenever i want!!

Well, I already could, I bought the japanese OST CD back in 2017. But for normal brain people this is cool. Plus you can easily hear all the new music, mixed bag that it is. I still hope they release a follow-up supplementary CD for the New 48. They could also add the Deluxe's battle mode music since that's not on the original soundtrack.

I really like this final wave, it feels like the devs went extra-hard on it. Initial disappointment over no Gamecube Rainbow Road dissolved as I realised Wii RR was the superior choice, taking all the mechanics of GC's and refining them. I'm assuming similar stories with GBA and DS Rainbows, that they were redundant? I never played the handheld or Wii Marios kart, so I can only guess.

But yeah. Only two tour courses, and the Rome Avanti I actually dug quite a bit! What a surprise! They were all a blast and the second ending is delightful. Great job B team, you were given limited resources and did an outstanding job.

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 10, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

You can have 30 points?? I thought everyone started at 1000

Edit oh i see the points thing is totally different in friend rooms :shobon:

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Good game folks, i had a blast. Usually play later at night so now I have chores to catch up on.