Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AtlantaFX/status/1494380629277954051

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t72Pbqrkb28

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFX/status/1489302676168974337

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nynDxkGWnh4

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFX/status/1496183761557413892
After four years, Atlanta returns for season 3 on March 24th, airing on FX and streaming on Hulu. The fourth and final season will air in the fall.

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFX/status/1491148851415498752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/atlantafx/status/1503808372843368455?s=21
https://twitter.com/atlantafx/status/1504533143356944390?s=21
https://twitter.com/donaldglover/status/1504643020347490308?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first two episodes of season 3 premiere tonight, so let's do a little catchup:

Earn - the Princeton-dropout-turned-rap-manager - spent a lot of season 2 being broke and realising he wasn't very good at his job. A series of poor decisions and a terribly-timed emotional meltdown led to his role as his cousin's manager being in jeopardy leading into the finale. As they were at the airport about to embark on a European tour supporting rapper Clark County, Earn realised he still had a gold-plated pistol from an earlier episode in his bag. He quickly put it in Clark County's managers bag, and said manager wasn't allowed to board. Alfred (the aforementioned cousin) told Earn in the closing moments of the episode that he witnessed the whole thing, but that it impressed him, showing how Earn actually "gives a gently caress" and looks out for him rather than just being self-centered. I never totally followed the logic there, but hey. Earn also learned that his young daughter, Lottie, is showing signs of being a gifted student, leading her teacher to recommend moving her to a more expensive private school, meaning he has even more desire to start making some real money.

Alfred - also known as up-and-coming rapper "Paper Boi" - has been dealing with the consequences of fame and notoriety, having his persona questioned and being mugged by so-called fans. He doesn't like taking pictures, but is kind of getting used to it, and is about to tour across Europe as a support act for Clark County - a rapper he doesn't seem to especially like, but hey, it's a sweet gig. He exhibits a lot of depressive tendencies, appears to still be dealing with the death of his mother, and also recently changed barber.

Van - Earn's previous love interest, and mother to their daughter - lost her job in the first season, and we never really found out what she did for money after that. In season 2, she finally broke up with Earn for good after his reactions to an event celebrating the German part of her heritage - although their relationship remains cordial - and attended a New Year's Eve party at a mansion owned by Drake. She was last seen discussing the possibility of private school for Lottie, with her telling Earn he needs to be more present, and later sent him a message saying she was considering moving back in with her mom. She wasn't part of the tour at the end of season 2, but appears to be going around Europe with them in all the promotional materials. It'll be interesting to see how that happens.

Darius is chill.

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFX/status/1507025450538778630

Here's a little clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvX_YLZAVM

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 24, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

As they were at the airport about to embark on a European tour supporting rapper Clark County, Earn realised he still had a gold-plated pistol from an earlier episode in his bag. He quickly put it in Clark County's managers bag, and said manager wasn't allowed to board. Alfred (the aforementioned cousin) told Earn in the closing moments of the episode that he witnessed the whole thing, but that it impressed him, showing how Earn actually "gives a gently caress" and looks out for him rather than just being self-centered. I never totally followed the logic there, but hey.

Doesn't Al say something about it being dog eat dog when talking to Earn about it? Also, he indirectly drove someone to kill themselves to protect Earn in the previous episode.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Escobarbarian posted:

After four years, Atlanta returns for season 3 on March 24th, airing on FX and streaming on Hulu.

Boy, thank gently caress this is coming back. Here's hoping we don't get another four years between episodes because Don fucks off to do whatever side projects he gets involved wi--

quote:

The fourth and final season will air in the fall.

Oh, you've got to be making GBS threads me.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I can't tell if this episode was the season (almost re-series) premiere because Don Glover was on one of his many projects which he seems to like more than Atlanta, but if Black kid, because of a misunderstanding, gets forced into foster care with a hippie, extremely environmentally friendly, hyper-woke (except when they suggest their kid sings a slave song) Lesbian couple who are apparently in major debt and use 1950s guilt tactics to get he and their three other fostered Black kids to eat isn't classic This Show, I don't know what is.

e- Also, add adopted to be slave labor.

e2- And, apparently, run by an extremely dominant, homicidal girlfriend and her extremely submissive girlfriend. :stonk:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 25, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo I can’t believe this is the episode they opened with after four years away. The balls on these motherfuckers.

I remember the episode order was upped from 7 to 10 at one point so I wonder if that was so they could make episodes like this. Zero percent chance it had anything to do with Glover doing other stuff, he’s literally the showrunner

This poo poo is incredible

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So the first episode was like Teddy Perkins-level. Really incredible stuff. I found out afterwards that it’s based on a true story too, which is so :(

Second episode was great too but a more typical episode of Atlanta so while it was extremely funny and very memorable it’s obviously not gonna get talked about like the premiere was, minus one scene, which……:magical:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Has it really been four loving years

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hail Mary needledrop was insane. What a show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just caught the first episode and yeah holy poo poo that was terrifying, absolutely had some of that Teddy Perkins vibe to it.

Escobarbarian posted:

I found out afterwards that it’s based on a true story too, which is so :(

Oh God, that's awful :smith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Am I dumb for not noticing this until Sepinwall pointed it out:

quote:

Though Season Two ended with Al, Earn, and Darius heading off for a European tour, “Sinterklaas” quickly establishes that we are now seeing their second European tour — this one with Paper Boi as the headliner rather than an opening act.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Jerusalem posted:

Just caught the first episode and yeah holy poo poo that was terrifying, absolutely had some of that Teddy Perkins vibe to it.

Oh God, that's awful :smith:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/17/the-evil-manipulative-mom-behind-the-devonte-hart-tragedy/

For anyone who wants to read it

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

They...uh...knocked the casting of the two moms out of the park.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ, just loving horrible :smith:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh also should mention that the beginning bit was based on Lake Lanier, a black town that was flooded which is also a true story! Merry Christmas

https://www.newsonyx.com/georgias-lake-lanier-a-dark-history-of-a-drowned-black-town/

Lighter though I’m sure you’ve all seen this one

https://twitter.com/jasminelwatkins/status/959517734076911616?s=21

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 25, 2022

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

thanks for this, first episode and the follow up story above kinda broke me.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Absolute nightmare hours to kick off the season.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

the_american_dream posted:

Oh also should mention that the beginning bit was based on Lake Lanier,

I figured it was but when I read the episode description last night on wikipedia it placed it in New Orleans lmao. Also people go missing in the georgia lakes all the time because it's full of trees and they get tangled up while diving

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Am I dumb for not noticing this until Sepinwall pointed it out:

It was confusing, but yeah, Earn mentioned it's been 2 years since their first tour or something.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are washcloths a black people thing or is there another reference I'm not getting?

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Looten Plunder posted:

Are washcloths a black people thing or is there another reference I'm not getting?

It's cause in the past year or so there's been another wave of white people publicly claiming that (1) they don't bathe, or (2) they don't use a washcloth, so they were poking fun at that.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Looten Plunder posted:

It's more the other way around, white people just using a bar of soap is the joke. I have very distant memories of a longer stand-up routine based on this but I can't remember the rest.

My wife and I didn't understand the 2pac thing, specifically the end. I could probably come up with a decent interpretation around symbolism but the whole thing was weird enough that we thought we might be missing something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I read somewhere that yeah it’s definitely a black people thing. I didn’t really get it either

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Dave Chappelle had a bit about it on his show years ago

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Oh God the first episode is so uncomfortable. I've had to take breaks.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Zachack posted:

My wife and I didn't understand the 2pac thing, specifically the end. I could probably come up with a decent interpretation around symbolism but the whole thing was weird enough that we thought we might be missing something.

I believe it's referencing the horror movie Midsommar:

I'm not completely sure if it's referencing their horrific suicide at old age ritual or their forced sacrifices/murders of outsiders but either way it's some creepy white people poo poo!

koolkal fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 26, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, what a way to start a season. It's been too long, but drat if they didn't hit the ground running.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That first episode reminded me a lot of the Twilight Zone movie, complete with spooky boo face cold open.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

Holy poo poo, what a way to start a season. It's been too long, but drat if they didn't hit the ground running.

They delayed got by what, like 6 extra months and it was crap. Delayed this by four years and it's great

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I think they're in danger of making Darius too much of a manic pixie dream boy

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Escobarbarian posted:

. As they were at the airport about to embark on a European tour supporting rapper Clark County, Earn realised he still had a gold-plated pistol from an earlier episode in his bag. He quickly put it in Clark County's managers bag, and said manager wasn't allowed to board. Alfred (the aforementioned cousin) told Earn in the closing moments of the episode that he witnessed the whole thing, but that it impressed him, showing how Earn actually "gives a gently caress" and looks out for him rather than just being self-centered. I never totally followed the logic there

Correction here. He put it on Clark County's bag. The idea being to take him off the tour at least temporarily and give his cousin a chance to headline. When the manager gets pulled off it indicated that clark put the gun in his bag and had him take the fall.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, you’re right!! My mistake.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I was actually familiar with the true story so that episode ended up being a breath of fresh air since the kids survived.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

mistermojo posted:

I think they're in danger of making Darius too much of a manic pixie dream boy

Yea agreed

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I forgot this show was like 25% horror.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Just ripped through all three seasons with my wife and man what a great show. Three Slaps was incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just caught up on episode two. "Why are you making me do this, Earn!?!" absolutely killed me :lol:

That plus Paper Boi's "....he fell down the chimney, huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Show's still got it.

The prison scene was hilarious.