Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The minoooooots thing was twin peaks spooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm a week behind but the special effects involving the feral hog attack where weirdly good. That whole scene could have looked very corny but they pulled it off somehow.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
This is the Reddit post I mentioned where he discusses the "It's all a dream" theory earlier in the year.

quote:

This "theory" is honestly more than a theory at this point with the amount of times the show has confirmed it already. But I believe it's a dream/simulation (google: "MKUltra"; the girl he meets in S3E3 name is MK) they're living in. The first calling of this was in the pilot episode. Darius makes it very clear that the whole episode felt like "Deja vu, from a dream I had." And says something about how it feels like he is still dreaming. Then, It is confirmed that it's a dream in the first episode, because Darius talks about how there was a dog in his dream "with a spot that looked like Texas on him" and he looks for it, and BOOM! The dog is there confirming his Deja vu, isn't actually that, but he's really consciously dreaming.

This is tied into season 3 immediately with the first 2 episodes. The fisherman were just the little boys dream, and the little boy and the family were just Earns dream. Making the fishermen a dream, inside of dream, that is also inside of a dream. This very clearly ties into the theory because it proves that it would be very possible to have dreams inside of other dreams, and Darius has been saying thats what this is literally since the first episode.

This is tied in again from the first season when Darius explains he can't have children, to which Earn replied, "it's not a good time to talk about that" and Darius responds, "when IS a good time to talk about your balls being crushed?" Well, he found a good time to explain in S3E2 when he tells Van in the back of the car that he can't have kids because his "testicles were crushed as a child in Nigeria."

Want Another tie? Season 1 Darius sees a tree and talks about how much he likes trees, then tries to measure a tree in which he is told "you'll have time to measure it later" then what happens S3E3??? Fernando asks paperboi if he likes trees, the. takes paperboi to his big n tall old tree.

Now the bigger confirmations are so blatantly obvious. We can start with literally everything in show that is unexplained or doesn't make sense happens; such as black Justin Beiber, or the invisible car, or even simply how Darius is literally the spirit guide of his own dreams taking us to the club where he gets free drinks cuz "he's the guy", or the literally the entire Teddy Perkins episode from his perspective that feels like a nightmare and never really gets resolved or answers at the end. perspective.

I mean poo poo, the man was sitting at Drakes party by himself, no friends, just vibes. Then he literally tells Van that they're "living in a simulation" and "someone is controlling every movement"

Keep going? Remember the "B.A.N" episode when paperboi is on TV doing the interviews with the skits and fake commercials that made no sense? Tell me that whole episode isn't exactly what it's like when you're half asleep watching late night television. That whole episode felt like a fever dream lol, like I just woke up in the middle of the night and that was what was on TV.

Or we can talk about how he always seems to know where to go/what to do/how to feel. The alligator man episode was huge for me because again, he's one of the main characters of the episode driving Earn around all day. They get to Katt Williams house and Darius asks if he can come inside because "this place has a weird energy/vibe to it".. Darius goes in the house and explores until he gets to the bathroom and says "You have a Cayman in here?" Not an alligator, not once is it referred to by its scientific name besides that one line. He knows the exact species of the alligator at first sight because it's his dream and hes familiar with all of that stuff.

Lastly, Donald Glover is James Joyce fan. Well what type of writings did Joyce make popular? Dreaming a dream within a dream. Also, sharing dreams subconsciously from person to person, therefor connecting people and creating a shared experience. Which could explain why a lot of it feels like an alternate universe, because it very well could be that. If there is an alternate universe maybe we reach it subconsciously through dreams. Glover even says he writes when he first wakes up in the morning because that's when he's closest to a dream state. Joyce is one of the first authors to write about that type of subconscious dreaming, leading to make modern works like "inception" popular but also possible. This is also proven because before Atlanta even aired, Donald Glover said the show was going to be "A modern hip-hop version of Twin Peaks"... well Twin Peaks is directly based off Joyce's novel "Finnegans Wake" and the whole show is a dream within a dream.

If it isn't a dream, it could be a simulation of some sorts (Maybe Darius is the one that got shot during the pilot). But hey, everyone interprets things differently🤷🏽‍♂️😁

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They experience a lot of surreal things because they’re characters in a surreal television show, which could be considered a “simulation” in some sense :catdrugs:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Big interview with Hiro Murai in Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/atlanta-interview-hiro-murai-finale-1234626450/

Did Donald go Method-y in between takes, or was he acting like his normal self under the prosthetics?

We referred to him as “Teddy” the whole shoot. Keith didn’t know who Teddy was for the first three days of shooting, and nobody would tell him. He was so uneasy! He basically interrogated every crew member to figure out who he was. And every time he asked me, “Who is this dude?” I go, “It’s Teddy. We got the real guy.”

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

General Dog posted:

They experience a lot of surreal things because they’re characters in a surreal television show, which could be considered a “simulation” in some sense :catdrugs:

It is a little funny that I've seen a fair number of people obsessing over whether it's all a dream or what episodes are dreams and which are real, when yeah, it's a TV show. It's just kind of a fun meta bit and they've repeatedly told people not to nerd out about "solving" the show.

Also that's a neat interview.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Big interview with Hiro Murai in Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/atlanta-interview-hiro-murai-finale-1234626450/

Did Donald go Method-y in between takes, or was he acting like his normal self under the prosthetics?

We referred to him as “Teddy” the whole shoot. Keith didn’t know who Teddy was for the first three days of shooting, and nobody would tell him. He was so uneasy! He basically interrogated every crew member to figure out who he was. And every time he asked me, “Who is this dude?” I go, “It’s Teddy. We got the real guy.”

Thanks for this, this was an awesome read. Also:

quote:

But Donald keeps joking that when we’re 80, we’ll do Atlanta: Lottie’s Revenge. But for now, I think we’re all very satisfied with what we got to do in these two seasons.

🥹

Now I'm rewarching episode 1 and right as Alfred gets out of the car and confronts the guy who knocks off his mirror you hear "Worldstar!" echo out of the background and I'm cracking up

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 12, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Biscuit Hider
Never forget thicc judge judy.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Another great Darius line from e1:

"I don't know man, I like Flo Rida. I mean moms need to enjoy rap too."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm gonna miss this show. There's really nothing else out there like it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That finale was a masterpiece.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol The Ringer did an episode ranking and seven of the bottom eight are from season 3. That’s just boring listmaking even if you agree.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/11/11/23449717/atlanta-fx-episodes-ranked-best-worst-season

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Worst episode, rich wigga poor wigga, yeah, probably

Second worst episode, Terrare? gently caress DIS LIST

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

whatever my worst episode of Atlanta would be, would be a really kick rear end and great episode still

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is a decent list overall tbh except for season 3 getting wildly underrated. I’ll probably do my own ranking at some point.

But yes also every Atlanta episode is good

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

ruddiger posted:

We are like the dreamer who dreams, and then lives inside the dream. But who is the dreamer?

Great show, great finale. It’s amazing how fully realized the universe they created was, that they could do an episode about literally anything and not even have the characters from the show in it and it’s still “an Atlanta episode”. I think the Lynch comparison is apt, because he’s one of the only other people that could pull that off while keeping the viewers on board for the ride.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Rich Wigga Poor Wigga is in the top 10 best episodes. It was almost the finale of season 3 it's so good.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Their top 3 was my top 3 so I can't hate. I'd put trini 2 de bone below rich wigga poor wigga but honestly I thought all the s3 anthology episodes other than 3 slaps were weak compared to what the show usually brings to the table.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Woods is great but would probably sit just outside of a top 10 for me. The other two are obvious GOATs

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

ruddiger posted:

This made my cry laughing. As soon as I finished the episode I rewound just to watch this but again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really don't like B.A.N. That, and Trinnie 2 da Bone would be in my bottom handful of episodes.

Rich Wigga, Poor Wigga and Terrarae would be top ten material.

Still need to finish Season 4 though.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I don't want to pick at the list too much because I started trying to make up a bottom 10 and found it was pretty hard (and obviously stuff like the anthology episodes are divisive), but B.A.N. and Juneteenth being that high seemed off to me. Although it'd be interesting to see how the Juneteenth episode feels now. They had their moments but there was a lot of better competition.

And "Go For Broke" in the bottom 10 feels off. It's simple, but Earn's dinner plans going array was funny and the meeting with the Migos in the woods was great too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t stop thinking about London shooting that look at Darius after passing the sobriety check point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Go For Broke would be in my bottom 5 and B.A.N is absolutely an all-timer for me haha

I actually don’t know for sure that Teddy Perkins is my favourite episode these days. It probably is but it has some insanely stiff competition from like, the s3/4 premieres (one of the worst things about that list is how low Three Slaps is! c’mon, son!), Goof, Crank Dat Killer, New Jazz…….incredible how many 10/10 episodes this show gave us

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, it's kind of impressive that there were so few truly bad ones I can think of. Trini 2 De Bone is probably the worst for me, and even that was just because it was nothing special or interesting. If it was in some other anthology series I'd say that it was decent.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

donald glover showed all of us a sized up picture of a monkey's rear end in a top hat, what are you talking about nothing special

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Has any goon made a decent gif of Alfred shoving that kid through a window, or do I need to pull my finger out and make it myself?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol The Ringer did an episode ranking and seven of the bottom eight are from season 3. That’s just boring listmaking even if you agree.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/11/11/23449717/atlanta-fx-episodes-ranked-best-worst-season

Teddy Perkins at number one is also a deeply unadventurous pick.

("Barbershop" is my personal favorite)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

General Dog posted:

Teddy Perkins at number one is also a deeply unadventurous pick.

("Barbershop" is my personal favorite)

I haven't seen all the episodes but Barbershop is definitely one of my favorites. BTH portrays 'Exasperated' so drat well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Barbershop is GOAT

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I thought I liked Teddy Perkins a lot more than Barbershop when I first saw them live, but rewatches have shown that Barbershop is the superior episode. Not that Perkins is bad, but once you get the "wtf is this" out of the way it's not as impactful

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Barbershop is definitely up there as a contender and Teddy Perkins really isn't. It's a good story, I mean everything in Atlanta is good, but Teddy Perkins just doesn't hold up. I could watch Barbershop now and be entertained, but if I watched Teddy Perkins now i'd probably skip through a bit.

Edit: Also this made me realize that Brian Tyree Henry really excels. It's not surprising he is absolutely killing it mainstream more than anyone else on the show. I just watched a movie with him and Jennifer Lawrence and he carried it.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 14, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr7G_3EoKe4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Let’s gooooo

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 15, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rich Wigga, Poor Wigga - both the blackness interview and the loving end shot where he looks at the camera - is the hardest I've laughed at this show.

I don't know if it's my favourite episode, but The Goof Who Sat By the Door is definitely one of the most enjoyable ones for me. Just, a legitimately well-done fake documentary on top of everything else.

The finale of season 3 was also incredible. Alexander Skarsgård killed it.

The worst episode that comes to mind is probably the Migos one in season 1. Just didn't really do it for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I appreciate the attention to detail in The Goof Who Sat By the Door but it's not anywhere in the realm of one of my favorite episodes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

veni veni veni posted:

I appreciate the attention to detail in The Goof Who Sat By the Door but it's not anywhere in the realm of one of my favorite episodes

Hard agree. An episode of Atlanta cannot be a fav unless it features Paper Boi being put upon and exasperated by life's circumstances.

Goof is a banger, but I don't think it would be in my top 10.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
rewatching 3 and 4

all the scenes in Three Slaps building up to the fostering are so loving well-written and then after that it’s so beautifully creepy. hitting your kids is still bad tho

second episode has a slightly too broad Darius occasionally like more typical stoner lines but otherwise is basically a 10 for me, the slow way they reveal the time skip and Paper Boi’s rise in fame/Earn actually managing good is very effective, and Al in jail/the Tupac funeral/every time Brian Tyree Henry has to react to blackface are all perfect

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So few US-based (or even EU ones) shows understand how truly weird and idiosynchratic Europe can be sometimes, but Atlanta pulls it off without any effort. This is one reason why I hold season 3 in such high esteem.

I also enjoy the futility of discussing whether the show is a dream or not when the final episode is literally called "It Was All a Dream". Obviously there's more to it than that because the show is what it is, but Donglover knows what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Darius subplot in 303 is so funny and then Jai Paul showing up out of nowhere would be the perfect capstone but they still top it with “her mum can rot in North Korea for all I care” hahaha. The thing with the black artist scamming the rich white dude isn’t the strongest storyline (at least until you get to the First Bank picture) but the Al stuff is great too. I feel like as funny as the Tupac funeral scene is to us it’s definitely meant to have been super traumatic for Van