Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

oh poo poo that was jai paul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
here's the appearance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bamJ_vxlcOs&t=66s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the reparations episode is very good at making me feel exactly how they want me to feel. it is extremely funny how they deliberately make many of the black characters in it as unsympathetic as possible. the concept of pure whiteness suddenly becoming a thing to be ashamed of is soooo hilariously uncomfortable and it captures all angles of the social question it’s pondering really well. I may have underrated it previously

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

the reparations episode is very good at making me feel exactly how they want me to feel. it is extremely funny how they deliberately make many of the black characters in it as unsympathetic as possible. the concept of pure whiteness suddenly becoming a thing to be ashamed of is soooo hilariously uncomfortable and it captures all angles of the social question it’s pondering really well. I may have underrated it previously

Oh yeah, it's absolutely taking the piss out of reactionary nonsense. It's a tongue in cheek take on something Breitbart would produce.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
‘cancer attack’ is fine.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
white fashion is imo a minor episode but still has a lot going for it, it’s funny but as someone with no interest in fashion I guess the main point doesn’t hit for me although the reinvest in your hood ad is great. the Darius storyline is a lot better I think

trini is definitely a weaker episode mainly because the depiction of the white couple’s ignorance is a bit too broad (if generally true to life lol) however everything at the funeral is fantastic and that ending is brutal

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chet Haze cameo is the best part of Trini.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
new jazz is a classic

rich wigga is drat funny and a good warning against quantifying blackness too much (and also suppressing it) but idk it does feel like a bit of a weak concept compared to the others. maybe not my least favourite atlanta episode (it has a flamethrower fight!) but somewhere down there. great ending though

terrare is fantastic, stefani robinson owns, zazie beetz owns, alexander skarsgard owns

overall: season 3 is really good and maybe I prefer it to 1 actually

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The episode that sticks with me the most although not necessarily my favorite is Woods.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

my episode tier list is just Paper Boi's on-screen appearance time listed in descending order from 1 to 41

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I finally caught up on the final two episodes, and that last shot of the last episode with that little smile... goddamn what a way to wrap up the series. I'm gonna miss this show. A lot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Season 3 was really good for the most part with a couple of meh episodes, but it was definitely a ballsy move to even do a season like that at all, so it's not surprising it's so polarizing. I'd say this thread liked it about 10 times more than a lot of people. I had friends that didn't even bother to watch season 4 because they couldn't stand SS3 and I had to talk them into checking it out.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought that the last episode was clearly about Darius dreaming a lot, waking up and still being in a dream etc, but right at the end he was convinced it was still a dream although he still wanted to check. The final shot, I thought, was him realizing that he was in reality, he was in a good situation, and had great friends.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s how I interpret it too. I think it’s most in tune with the style and spirit of Darius and of the show as a whole. and just nice :unsmith:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

He’s going to jail tho

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

He’s going to jail tho

When Van says "you can get in trouble" she isn't talking about the police. Stealing, or bribing the valet with free Popeyes, a Maserati from a strip mall in GA isn't really on the PD list of high priority cases to close

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

But there were ominous sirens in the background as he realized it was reality

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

But there were ominous sirens in the background as he realized it was reality

That's a detail I didn't pick up until you mentioned it. I guess I was distracted from the happiness of the scene and that the show was ending. But yea, definitely sirens getting louder, cut to Darius looking forlornly at the TV.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

ShowTime posted:

cut to Darius looking forlornly at the TV.

AND THEN SMILING

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's true, and I guess that's the debate. I'm 99% sure he was dreaming, because why else is Judge Judy on TV? He says if Judge Judy is on TV and thick, he's in the tank. I doubt they'd be watching Judge Judy late at night while eating Popeye's and talking about what happened. But the other theory is also that he's not dreaming and is happy with his friends, and for them. In which case, he is possibly going to jail based off the sirens.

I like how they purposefully keep the TV out of frame until the others leave the room and then we can make out its Judge Judy. Up until that, from the glimpses we see, it could be commercials or another sitcom or something playing.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Judge Judy is ALWAYS on tv.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, when he's explaining his 'how to tell if I'm dreaming' method, he specifically says "judge judy is always on TV" (meaning in reality she is, and in his dreams too, so he can use that as a way to tell). I think nobody else cared about the TV so it was Darius switching channels 'til he found Judge Judy. That part doesn't seem out of place to me.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 21, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ShowTime posted:

I like how they purposefully keep the TV out of frame until the others leave the room and then we can make out its Judge Judy. Up until that, from the glimpses we see, it could be commercials or another sitcom or something playing.

I think the whole point of that is that you never get to actually see if she is thicc, so it's not worth speculating on what is or isn't reality in the show because it doesn't matter.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, if anything the point is just that he's accepting either way is the point, even if it's fun to speculate.

I know it's a little boring to go with "Word of God" stuff, but that Hiro Murai interview linked earlier framed it as kind of working through the emotions of the show ending. Was it a cool, important show or was it just some funny goofs that didn't mean much? A serious question all hinging on whether Judge Judy has a big booty.

Also the next level theory to go crazy over is the one I read that the sirens at the end are an ambulance because Darius drowned in the tank. He flipped over in the one dream, he smoked a bit in one dream even though he said he usually didn't before going in, and they put salt in isolation tanks to help people float and Al says that the food at the restaurant is salty BUT NOT SALTY ENOUGH :tinfoil:.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 22, 2022

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I think it was cool and important and I think it's clear Hiro Murai does as well. We see this great progression through Earn/Alfred/Van of starting with all the suffocating problems they have in S1, growing and dealing with their issues in S2/3, and self-actualizing in 4.

If I had to draw a throughline of what the show is "about" more than anything else, I would point to 1) whatever it is Alfred confronts in himself in Woods, 2) him communicating that to Earn over the I'm firing you/airport/I'm keeping you saga, 3) Earn embracing that (I think in S4 he verbalizes it as "It's not about what feels good. It's about what survives"), and that really spiraling into what helps Earn resolve his relationships with Van and Lottie in a healthy way and Alfred come around on his search for security and freedom from want.

Just anecdotally, everyone I've personally known who has risen out of poverty in the south has had a similar hunger mentality and attributed their success to it. It's something I'm sure Donald Glover has been exposed to if not actually feels personally.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yoo hoo

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Darius wasn't drowning, gently caress you.

:smith:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

Darius wasn't drowning, gently caress you.

:smith:

To be clear I don't think he was, but seeing someone point out the salt thing tripped a weird :stare: response in my mind though and I guess I'm sharing that curse.

Nonexistence posted:

If I had to draw a throughline of what the show is "about" more than anything else, I would point to 1) whatever it is Alfred confronts in himself in Woods, 2) him communicating that to Earn over the I'm firing you/airport/I'm keeping you saga, 3) Earn embracing that (I think in S4 he verbalizes it as "It's not about what feels good. It's about what survives"), and that really spiraling into what helps Earn resolve his relationships with Van and Lottie in a healthy way and Alfred come around on his search for security and freedom from want.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy to think about where everybody started and where everybody ended. Earn and Alfred both got good conclusions to their story and Darius' story got reframed nicely in the finale. For as weird as the show could get and how much it was dealing with big money and fame by the end, I kind of like how "grounded" the arcs were.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really the only issue with the show is that there was so little of it we didn’t really get to see this play out on screen. We didn’t need to see Paper Boi’s rise to fame, but it would have been nice to see more of for instance Earn’s emotional growth which largely happened off-screen. I would still happily and easily take the show we got over a version with more traditional character arcs but a world where we could have had both would have been wonderful. Too wonderful. I’d have to check Judge Judy’s thiccness level to see if it was real.

Getting excited to rewatch s4 now! Will do it some time in the next week.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Paper Boi's rise to fame was definitely a bit weird and always felt sort inexplicable to me. He felt totally right as a local celebrity type, but it was strange when all of sudden this schlubby 40 year old man who had one mildly popular song that was kind of lame was an international superstar out of nowhere.

I don't think it didn't work but part of me never really bought into him being super famous.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 23, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm really interested what a season 3 without covid interruption might have looked like, or if the plan was always for season 3 to be set on a different tour to the one they are setting off for at the end of season 2. It feels like there was a "season" that happened that nobody ever got to see, which in a weird way actually works to some degree in that life just continued and we picked up with them a little later down the track.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think they give you enough between the season 2 finale and second episode of season 3 for you to intuit that Earn and Al somehow used Earn’s new-found hunger and finesse and manipulated things during the Clark County tour without his manager there so he came out on top and got super famous out of it, but it’s still done in a way that requires you to make a lot of mental connections, and also they say it’s only been a year or so between the tours so that’s not a very long space of time for such a massive change in status to occur. At one point I was expecting there to be a throwaway line about one of Paper Boi’s songs going viral on TikTok or something. But in the end, it’s just a way for them to get to the stories they wanted to tell about fame, which are very good, and it also divides the show in half neatly, which I appreciate!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really interested what a season 3 without covid interruption might have looked like, or if the plan was always for season 3 to be set on a different tour to the one they are setting off for at the end of season 2. It feels like there was a "season" that happened that nobody ever got to see, which in a weird way actually works to some degree in that life just continued and we picked up with them a little later down the track.

I think they were already a few days into shooting in Europe where they had to shut down, so my guess is they had written those episodes already, but I’d still really like to see someone ask one of the writers this one day.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it's all over the place really

paper boi shrugs at a million dollars as a 'jeez, guess i can't afford not to take this' hassle, but lives at most a relatively comfortable upper middle class life

meanwhile earn, his mr 10%, somehow has enough money for multiple luxury SUVs, for harvard to come begging to him for donations, and to engineer a complex plot for revenge involving paying the salaries of multiple people for weeks, but is also somehow on a low rung at a marketing/talent management agency to the point where he has to hustle to not get fired

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it’s because it’s all a dream…..

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
could be

it definitely lost something for me with the shift into overt strangeness in 3 and 4. 1 and 2 had a strange backdrop, but had characters at the forefront dealing with relatable poo poo, with darius occasionally dropping in to offer odd insight

van being scarface x amelie or a 45 minute dissection of the joke 'lol goofy is black', i could take or leave

e: it was almost worth it for the goofy gloves at the death scene gag though

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sRnBp4ufG8

i haven't watched this yet but the premise rocks and i threw it on my list to watch after work, figured some of you would enjoy too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow I wasn’t even aware of the video that originally inspired Three Slaps. This video’s great, thanks for posting

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Paper Boi's rise to fame was definitely a bit weird and always felt sort inexplicable to me. He felt totally right as a local celebrity type, but it was strange when all of sudden this schlubby 40 year old man who had one mildly popular song that was kind of lame was an international superstar out of nowhere.

I don't think it didn't work but part of me never really bought into him being super famous.

I dunno, he did a European tour but it’s not like he was playing arenas. I see him as famous in the same way that like, Freddie Gibbs is famous. Enough to earn a good living, but not a superstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Lil Uzi Vert is rich enough to have a 17 million dollar gem stone aside from all the other things he probably owns.

Paper boi might not be as famous as Lil Uzi Vert but he’s closer to it than say Uzi is to Drake or Kendrick or something. There’s still a lot of money out there for second and third tier rappers.