Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I felt so bad about the hat because it did look fuckin sharp on him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My dad is one of those retired Boomer dads who loves going to the mall, the grocery store, the movie theater, Barnes & Noble, etc. when they first open, long before anyone else shows up to ruin his quiet happy fun times. He taught middle school for decades, so nothing annoys him like kids and teenagers running around, making noise, being rude, and acting like they're in charge.

The one cool surreal moment was the woman at the studio letting them know about the Bobby Shmurda exit, where they wouldn't be seen as long as they don't look back, like Orpheus rescuing Eurydice from the underworld. There seems to be a theme of secret passages this season, between that, the wet, carpeted tunnel in the funeral home that led to the parking garage, and the hidden rooms inside of the Rally's (not Checkers).

A lot of the time I view the surrealist elements mainly as flavour without a lot of substance - not that there isn't meaning to them, but it really resonated with me in this episode. You can see the generational divide so clearly where every old person's action and motivation is based on them not letting go of the past - whether it's something that's been nagging at you (grandpa), whether it's ancient wounds ("You hate me because I'm light-skinned"), whether it's poo poo that literally just happened (the hat), none of them can let it go. But for your own sake just loving move on and don't look back. It's simple and obvious, but the way they showed it was weirdly liberating.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rich Wigga, Poor Wigga - both the blackness interview and the loving end shot where he looks at the camera - is the hardest I've laughed at this show.

I don't know if it's my favourite episode, but The Goof Who Sat By the Door is definitely one of the most enjoyable ones for me. Just, a legitimately well-done fake documentary on top of everything else.

The finale of season 3 was also incredible. Alexander Skarsgård killed it.

The worst episode that comes to mind is probably the Migos one in season 1. Just didn't really do it for me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So few US-based (or even EU ones) shows understand how truly weird and idiosynchratic Europe can be sometimes, but Atlanta pulls it off without any effort. This is one reason why I hold season 3 in such high esteem.

I also enjoy the futility of discussing whether the show is a dream or not when the final episode is literally called "It Was All a Dream". Obviously there's more to it than that because the show is what it is, but Donglover knows what he's doing.