Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Rochallor posted:

I was gonna say that UPN probably had less money to throw around than WB, but looking into it UPN won the bid by offering 2.3 million an episode version 1 million from the WB. Which is... weird, because I'd agree that the show looks noticeably worse in the last few seasons. Maybe some producer was embezzling some of it.

The cast was probably getting more expensive that deep into the run, especially SMG and Alyson Hannigan in the early 2000s, since they were breaking out in mainstream stuff, too.

I don't think Buffy looks worse in S6 + 7 though. Although come to think of it, maybe budget was a reason they spend so much of season 7 in Buffy's house just like they spend so much of season 5 of Angel in the W+H set. Plus, they were using CGI more often and it's not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Constantly using SMG as the face of the First instead of paying different actors,

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Saving a ton of wardrobe money on having Spike go shirtless

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Hulu has seasons 4 onward in 16:9 for some reason and I found my first goof. In the second part of the Buffy/Faith body swap two parter when the scoobies show up at the church where Adam's vampires are holding people hostage, Willow is visible and talking but Alyson Hannigan's mouth isn't moving. Clearly dubbed in later and wouldn't be visible if cropped for 4:3.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Doctor Teeth posted:

Hulu has seasons 4 onward in 16:9 for some reason and I found my first goof. In the second part of the Buffy/Faith body swap two parter when the scoobies show up at the church where Adam's vampires are holding people hostage, Willow is visible and talking but Alyson Hannigan's mouth isn't moving. Clearly dubbed in later and wouldn't be visible if cropped for 4:3.

There is one of these in every widescreen episode. Like, every, single one.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Dark Willow is so deeply cringe. Fremdschämen for quip kids in the 90/00s emo phase.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

G-Spot Run posted:

Dark Willow is so deeply cringe. Fremdschämen for quip kids in the 90/00s emo phase.

Maybe but the flaying of Warren remains fuckin brutal

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Lorney Toons? :allears:

RIP Andy Hallet.

"Stop calling me ... pastries."

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rochallor posted:

It's been a couple years since I last watched Angel, but I remember being pretty impressed with how Angelus was used in S4. It helps that it's a card the show plays extremely rarely, even when Angelus is an idea that baked into the title character. It's what, 3-4 episodes in this season and that one in the first season where somebody gives Angel ecstasy, and that it outside of flashbacks, right?

I would say it’s the opposite, Angelus is a character they used far too much, and each time he would be written worse. If I remember correctly season 4 was the one where everyone was warned ahead of time that he would say means things to them, and they still seemed surprised by it.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

There is one of these in every widescreen episode. Like, every, single one.

No kidding. I saw another one in the season 4 finale when Tara, Willow, Xander and Anya are in the ice cream truck in Xander's dream. Tara is talking but her mouth isn't moving. I could've found more but I haven't been actively looking. These are just the ones that stuck out so much I couldn't miss it.

I forgot how weird the season 4 finale is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

No kidding. I saw another one in the season 4 finale when Tara, Willow, Xander and Anya are in the ice cream truck in Xander's dream. Tara is talking but her mouth isn't moving.
That's not a widescreen blocking goof, it's just part of the episode.